The Old Contest...

Comments

• Kamr05Kamr05 Posts: 158
    August 2015, first 3 star was Colossus. Got my first 4 star 3 months in and it was Dr Strange. He was a beast back then.
  • VandalSavageVandalSavage Posts: 267 ★★
    Do remember the time when the good players of the community started spreading the fake news (oh, excuse me, these were called "rumors" back then) in Feb 2016 that MCOC was going to end in May 2016?

That prompted the mods to post sticky threads in various forum categories in the old forum stating that it wasn't true.

• charaderdude2charaderdude2 Posts: 1,529 ★★★
    I remember the Contest when there were no event quests and no wars.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 19,994 ★★★★★
    "In my day, we played on an Etch-A-Sketch!"
  • Batman_26_2019Batman_26_2019 Posts: 65
    edited March 2018
    I started playing in August 2015, before Act 4 was even announced (maybe). There was no such thing as an item cap. It took forever to get a 4 star, my first was Wolverine. My first 4 star from a featured crystal was Agent Venom, and I was hyped at the time. My first maxed 3 star was an unduped Star-Lord. I used to sell characters when I got a higher star of them (stupid). I was playing before 5 stars were even an idea to implement (as far as I know). Pretty sure Ant-Man and Yellowjacket were fairly new. I made my own alliance, called Beast Mode, tag 2019b. I left it after months on end. I then started jumping around alliances, only being in one for a couple months at a time. I plan to stick with my current alliance for as long as possible. I quickly learned to fight and get somewhat good at the game. I was playing before Alliance Wars were a thing. Ultron was the final boss in AQ. Eventually, I found Seatin and ContestChampion on Youtube, and got some advice and tips from their videos, advice that helped me progress to where I am at now. Act 4 complete, Chapters 1 and 2 explored, Act 5.1.1 complete, RoL not complete (I cant seem to get lucky with crits and stuff), RttL: Ch. 3.3 is current quest, Heroic Exploration and Master Completion on monthly quests, and can obtain some featured 3 star from arena if I actually try. I was terrible against Thanos in Act 3, but 1 day in late 2016, I went for it, used all revives and potions, and beat him with 4 star Venom. I was very happy at that time, as it was a challenge for me. I now have 6 five stars, one at rank 3: Ghost Rider. I have been almost entirely free-to-play, except for when I got Google Play cards to spend on the game, and even then, it's maybe $50-100 total spent.

The game has changed a lot since I started, and most of the changes have been for the better. Still slightly salty that SW was nerfed before I could awaken her, though. Now she's dupe 99 and still pretty good though.
    Do you remember the first hard monthly event quest -- it is what we call "heroic" level? It was the "Joe Fix It" quest.

People were told that it was hard.

People tried the quest and then flooded the forums crying that it was hard.

This was during the time that we had infinite inventory and never had to worry about running out of revives or health potions. Our will power and perfect block were in full fear at the time. The complaint was that people had to use health potions , some complained that they had to use like 20 of them.

Though there were obviously people who did beat Joe Fix It, like myself, Kabam changed the quest. Joe Fix It got fixed for the singular purpose of letting more people beat him.

Today, we have the "master" difficulty, caps on inventory, weakened will power, and no perfect block.

• shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 2,084 ★★★★
    I think I remember vaguely, because I dumped this game back then.

Just started again 3 months ago and been having a blast. Sorry, but no nostalgia here :neutral:

Same
    Well except I been playing a while longer than 3 months now
  • GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945 ★★★
    Talking about willpower, remember when Vision and Ultron healed from it?
  • I started playing in August 2015, before Act 4 was even announced (maybe). There was no such thing as an item cap. It took forever to get a 4 star, my first was Wolverine. My first 4 star from a featured crystal was Agent Venom, and I was hyped at the time. My first maxed 3 star was an unduped Star-Lord. I used to sell characters when I got a higher star of them (stupid). I was playing before 5 stars were even an idea to implement (as far as I know). Pretty sure Ant-Man and Yellowjacket were fairly new. I made my own alliance, called Beast Mode, tag 2019b. I left it after months on end. I then started jumping around alliances, only being in one for a couple months at a time. I plan to stick with my current alliance for as long as possible. I quickly learned to fight and get somewhat good at the game. I was playing before Alliance Wars were a thing. Ultron was the final boss in AQ. Eventually, I found Seatin and ContestChampion on Youtube, and got some advice and tips from their videos, advice that helped me progress to where I am at now. Act 4 complete, Chapters 1 and 2 explored, Act 5.1.1 complete, RoL not complete (I cant seem to get lucky with crits and stuff), RttL: Ch. 3.3 is current quest, Heroic Exploration and Master Completion on monthly quests, and can obtain some featured 3 star from arena if I actually try. I was terrible against Thanos in Act 3, but 1 day in late 2016, I went for it, used all revives and potions, and beat him with 4 star Venom. I was very happy at that time, as it was a challenge for me. I now have 6 five stars, one at rank 3: Ghost Rider. I have been almost entirely free-to-play, except for when I got Google Play cards to spend on the game, and even then, it's maybe $50-100 total spent.

The game has changed a lot since I started, and most of the changes have been for the better. Still slightly salty that SW was nerfed before I could awaken her, though. Now she's dupe 99 and still pretty good though.

You started when tron was aq boss and only have 6 5*s?
  • Batman_26_2019Batman_26_2019 Posts: 65
    I have school and work that occupy my time as well, so I can't grind indefinitely, plus as I said, mostly free to play
    I started the first day the game was launched
  • AlCapone2727AlCapone2727 Posts: 394 ★★
    August 2015 first 3* was electro. Completed act 3 and got BW out of a PHC as first 4*
  • Dr_ARCHerDr_ARCHer Posts: 125
    One of the first strategy to get past Wolverine was to use Electro and let him get hit.....
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587
    I started March 2015. I remember all these things, venom glitch for shards, joe fixit nerf, etc. good times.

I miss the good old days when no one knew how aq scoring worked, and then people figured out first you could get a 6th day of aq, but only for an hour (bonus points). Then people being able to clear the regen’ing UC with Thor.

Then after that people would milk UC, letting him regen every other fight to continue getting points.
  • juST4fUNjuST4fUN Posts: 172
    MattScott wrote: »
    Then after that people would milk UC

out of context pun :D

• SlayerOfGodsSlayerOfGods Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    Dr_ARCHer wrote: »
    One of the first strategy to get past Wolverine was to use Electro and let him get hit.....

Yeah I tried that lol.
  • MikeHockMikeHock Posts: 1,346 ★★★
    edited March 2018
    Parry stunning special attacks was great
  • SlayerOfGodsSlayerOfGods Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    @F4k3_GaM3r Thanks for that! I remember when he used to walk like that!
    Pym canisters (PCs).

How many people remember that a similar idea was proposed by a fellow player back in Dec 2014? It was one of those many ideas at the time where if it doesn't get implemented, people would leave the game. The game just started and allegedly, people are going to leave it if the devs don't implement their ideas.

The original idea was called "account-wide" stamina.

PCs and account-wide stamina were used like tickets to enter a theater.

While PCs were individual tickets for heroes, the "account-wide stamina" (AWS) were tickets for a team of 3 heroes, meaning it is used for matches. This would allow players to use the same three heroes in arena as often as they like as long as they have tickets to enter the arena.

Under the original proposal you earn tickets by simply waiting for it to refresh (which was a long wait, like 24 hours) or you buy them. There were no other means to earn them.

PCs on the other hand could be earned by grinding quests.

Obviously, AWS not only favored the rich but it also made acquiring new heroes meaningless. This was Dec 2014. There weren't even any such thing as alliances yet. Arena was the only reason to acquire more heroes at the time (beyond the 5 you need for quests).

Kabam had their own ideas on how to handle "tickets".

When PCs were introduced people whined that it didn't reduce the grind. They arrived to this conclusion using magic, not any actual data. All they know is that the cut-off didn't drop. They made no attempt to compare the average number of matches, for example, that the top 3000 players did before and after PCs were introduced. A drop in the number of matches played would indicate a drop in "the grind", not the points scored. But nobody cared about little things like that.

• RapRap Posts: 2,352 ★★★
    I started in May just after the launch. I think blackbolt was the 3 and 4 star champ. Then Hulk. I couldnt wait to get in an arena. After opening crystals and getting nothing but 2 stars i was determined to get some three stars. With 4 3 man squads i would fight till I ran through them, every 11th round I faced unstoppable colossus, juggs and storm and lost...so I would start over. I set the alarm on my phone and in the middle of the night I would (much to my wife's aggravation) I would get up and play my 4 little squads which soon became five...then 10...then 20. I ranked in the top 20 repeatedly...haven't felt that kind of excitment about playing in a long time. I beleived then that advancing was up to me...and that if i got enough 3s i would start winning 4s...and when 5s came along i naively believed that with enough 4s (in a fair game), i could win myself 5 stars, but that wasn't the case...after the 5 stars arrived and the alliance quests, the balance and fairness withered away. Now it grows worse with 5s being undupable and unwinable for most of us and the balance grows worse...