**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why does Kabam feel the need to hide prestige from the players?

ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★
I've been playing this game since the first few months of release and I have never understood why prestige was such a big secret that Kabam enjoyed keeping from the player base. It is a huge part of the game and they refuse to share this info. The fact that we have to rely on third party community sourced prestige info seems pretty silly to me.

Is there some legitimate reason for Kabam to keep this information hidden from players? I get why they did not want to reveal drop rates for crystals since it would hurt sales. But I do not see how releasing prestige info would. Why the veil of secrecy ?

Comments

• Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    edited April 2018
    The third party apps aren’t 100% accurate on prestige. Easiest way to calculate it is just remove your masteries. It’s not too hard to get your prestige but I agree that it might should be shown
  • Outsider75Outsider75 Posts: 61
    Is there some legitimate reason for Kabam to keep this information hidden from players? I get why they did not want to reveal drop rates for crystals since it would hurt sales. But I do not see how releasing prestige info would. Why the veil of secrecy ?

@Kabam Miike I've been wondering the same. Is it true there is a number or factor in your support site that we can use to calculate our prestige besides third parties.

I mean, in your statement you all said that those calculations are off. If they are off then why not help us by displaying that number yourselves? I don't get it
  • Izuman18Izuman18 Posts: 6
    It’s not a poor design decision. Someone already said it. Prestige isn’t displayed for the same reason it’s calculated with 5 champs and only 4 of them are displayed

Because it’s used competitively. Use your head a little bit people
  • StavelotXoteStavelotXote Posts: 231
    I've been playing this game since the first few months of release and I have never understood why prestige was such a big secret that Kabam enjoyed keeping from the player base. It is a huge part of the game and they refuse to share this info. The fact that we have to rely on third party community sourced prestige info seems pretty silly to me.

What's even more strange is they said the community tool isn't quite accurate... they have known for awhile and still done nothing to correct it. So we have all just been reaching in the dark for 3+ years apparently smh I'm so sick of this
  • OzzieontOzzieont Posts: 237
    edited April 2018
    the prestige should be in our profile already calculated
  • SomeoneElseSomeoneElse Posts: 424 ★★★
    It’s another design decision that makes no sense. Sure, we can calculate it ourselves, but why should we have to? Some people seem to be missing the point. There is no good reason to make it so difficult to figure out a rating that plays such a big part in the game. I wish they would get rid of it completely, but until they do, they should display it.
  • Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★
    When the game came out prestige wasn't around, just like the drop rates on crystals wasn't around in the game. And look how long and difficult it was to add a number to the crystals that doesn't even change. Now imagine the difficulties they face with a number that can change with just a single signature stone and now imagine how many people in the game and no ones is the same. So the amount of effort to write that and figure out where and how to display it is surly a huge undertaking. And who knows maybe they have a small team who is working on this but we won't know until it's ready to be added in game
  • Kriss_IIKriss_II Posts: 64
    Batman05 wrote: »
    You can check and figure your prestige in the game. People are to lazy or ignorant. Take off your masteries and the hero stats number will be your base prestige. Just add your top five hero numbers and divide. Then magically you'll have your prestige if you want to be 100% confident and accurate

Haha . What joke!. Do you really wanna take off your hard earned masteries ?
  • SolswerdSolswerd Posts: 1,860 ★★★★
    Isman1998 wrote: »
    Never understood why it's not displayed in game. Something that important should not have to be calculated outside the game.

Agree...it is silly at this point for them to reference a number that the game obviously keeps track of, but not give us that number.
  • KnightarthusKnightarthus Posts: 419 ★★★
    Izuman18 wrote: »
    It’s not a poor design decision. Someone already said it. Prestige isn’t displayed for the same reason it’s calculated with 5 champs and only 4 of them are displayed

Because it’s used competitively. Use your head a little bit people

It’s not even displayed to the person owning the account either. Should the person not know their own prestige too?
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
    Yeah it’s stupid that it isn’t shown, especially when so many factors in the game are dependent on it.

What’s the harm in us knowing something we should.
    Probably because there are other significant metrics and factors that go into progression and usefulness, and it's the Players that create a drive for the Prestige Race, not them.

I just feel like if that number is used to determine AQ difficulty and points, and now being used as a measuring stick for events..we shouldn't have to use calculators to figure it out. I just can't fathom why they do not want to add it to our profiles.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Solswerd wrote: »
    Probably because there are other significant metrics and factors that go into progression and usefulness, and it's the Players that create a drive for the Prestige Race, not them.

I just feel like if that number is used to determine AQ difficulty and points, and now being used as a measuring stick for events..we shouldn't have to use calculators to figure it out. I just can't fathom why they do not want to add it to our profiles.

The trouble with that is it's their metrics. Now, I can understand why revealing it before the Event would be problematic. People would be rushing to Rank, asking for Tickets, mayhem basically. From a business standpoint, I can see why not making it a focus is wise. If you're offering a product, you want people to look at all factors, not just Prestige. Many Champs are useful but not high in Prestige. It's only one factor, and is not useful to focus on outside of their own internal gauges. If you're encouraging people to focus on Prestige, you're opening them up to miss out on other Champs that are good.
  • Mr_WiffMr_Wiff Posts: 244
    I see the argument of prestige being a key part of the competitive elements of this game so you wouldn't want it visible to all so how about finding a way for it to only show on your profile for yourself. That way you can see it anytime and nobody else can, should your alliance want to see then you screen shot your own profile. Seems a simple enough solution.
  • BmanBman Posts: 221
    To say it would b hard for Kabam to program the prestige because it changes with every sig is ridiculous! Pi changes with every level up and sig, it’s already programmed. To all the ppl that say “displaying it would allow other alliances to know what score is needed to beat another alliance”, again ridiculous! If u want to beat an alliance ranked above u, u already know that u must increase ur prestige (ranking up high prestige champs, awakening said champs, etc.), or do a higher level AQ Map. If the #2 alliance wants to beat the #1 alliance the same holds true. If #2 is playing Map 6x6 and still #2, then increasing prestige is the only way. If #2 did finally become tops, then the alliance that lost the top spot would increase theirs as well. Displaying the numbers to the public would not affect this, as alliances are already doing the most points they can. It’s a ludicrous excuse! Especially for something that plays such a HUGE PART IN THE GAME!! Kabam keeps saying they are being “transparent”, but they aren’t transparent about anything, until the community speaks loudly enough, then they always sorry, “this is not what we intended”. DISPLAY PRESTIGE, STOP HIDING IT!!
    edited April 2018
    Solswerd wrote: »

The trouble with that is it's their metrics. Now, I can understand why revealing it before the Event would be problematic. People would be rushing to Rank, asking for Tickets, mayhem basically. From a business standpoint, I can see why not making it a focus is wise. If you're offering a product, you want people to look at all factors, not just Prestige. Many Champs are useful but not high in Prestige. It's only one factor, and is not useful to focus on outside of their own internal gauges. If you're encouraging people to focus on Prestige, you're opening them up to miss out on other Champs that are good.

I see what you are saying as far as what Kabam's likely intent of not making the number visable when prestige first became a factor...I just feel that ship has sailed a while ago. It is a relatively known quanity (most calculators may not have it down to the exact number Kabam uses, but they are pretty close) and they themselves use it as a measuring stick. If Kabam really wanted to keep it even as far as champ perception goes, prestige could have easily been a simplified system of assigning a point value to star level/rank/level instead of making it individualistic. (i.e. a 4* 4/40 sig1 is 3000 prestige, a 4* 5/50 sig 1 is 4000 prestige with sig levels bridging the gap between 3000 and 4000) It just feels like they want it both ways...they do not want it to elevate or cheapen the perceptions of any particular champ...but they use it to determine points and/or potential event rewards.