**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Rank down

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Then you have no shortage of Resources, so why are you asking for Tickets?
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★

He's not the only one asking though
  • IOSJasoNIOSJasoN Posts: 643 ★★★
    Clearly the community is against Rank Down Tickets..
    How about Rank Reversal Tickets?
    Lmao..

Nah personally I'm against RDTs..
    Main points not to have them have already been said..
    As for why shouldn't you be able to move resources around that you earned..
    It's because you used them.. There gone..
    That's like me going into a shop buying a chocolate bar, opening it on the way out and see a sandwich for the same price.. Going back to the till and saying "yes I opened it and touched it but I payed for it with money I earned.. it's mine.. so take it back and give me the sandwich"

(As you can clearly tell I haven't had breakfast yet.. My minds thought wave is food focused lol)
  • TempestTempest Posts: 295
    Snizzbar wrote: »

I was responding to the contradiction.

People have been asking since they came, and their purpose has still been the same. They're for major changes to Champs, such as the ones we saw during 12.0. We had a gift of them at Christmas, but the game isn't really designed for mainstream use of them. It's designed around acquiring new Resources and Ranking more Champs. I understand they wanted to give people a surprise at Chrsitmas, but honestly, I think it just fed the expectation more. All this time people have spent asking, they could have earned the Resources to Rank who they wanted, 3-fold. I hope they don't return myself. They're counterintuitive to the point of the game.

Well here is a question.... I agree that if a champ is changed in a major way, then that is a valid reason to issue them (and even then, they should be specific ones for that champ). But here is another perspective, what if they introduce a new champ that basically makes another champ useless? For example, what if I rank 4-ed a Mordo back when he was a good defender... and then they introduced Blade, therefore rendering Mordo almost useless in AWD (and every war in the top 3 tiers is full of blades on attack). I mean, those T2A are extremely rare, and it is a waste to put them on Mordo. He is no longer able to serve his purpose to the player. At least Magik is still a great attacker... Mordo for most players is only a defensive champ. At the time of ranking, he was a good choice, but now he is seen as a bad rank-up.

I only use Mordo as an illustrative example. In the future, fear of this happening again will prevent players from ranking defensive champions. This means those defensive champs are in a way wasted, as they will never be fully utilized for fear that a new Blade will come along later and render them useless, and you would have wasted your T2A. Kabam would have to design future champs to be offensive or dual use, unless they want the champ to just sit at the bottom of rosters.
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Tempest wrote: »

People have been asking since they came, and their purpose has still been the same. They're for major changes to Champs, such as the ones we saw during 12.0. We had a gift of them at Christmas, but the game isn't really designed for mainstream use of them. It's designed around acquiring new Resources and Ranking more Champs. I understand they wanted to give people a surprise at Chrsitmas, but honestly, I think it just fed the expectation more. All this time people have spent asking, they could have earned the Resources to Rank who they wanted, 3-fold. I hope they don't return myself. They're counterintuitive to the point of the game.

Well here is a question.... I agree that if a champ is changed in a major way, then that is a valid reason to issue them (and even then, they should be specific ones for that champ). But here is another perspective, what if they introduce a new champ that basically makes another champ useless? For example, what if I rank 4-ed a Mordo back when he was a good defender... and then they introduced Blade, therefore rendering Mordo almost useless in AWD (and every war in the top 3 tiers is full of blades on attack). I mean, those T2A are extremely rare, and it is a waste to put them on Mordo. He is no longer able to serve his purpose to the player. At least Magik is still a great attacker... Mordo for most players is only a defensive champ. At the time of ranking, he was a good choice, but now he is seen as a bad rank-up.

I only use Mordo as an illustrative example. In the future, fear of this happening again will prevent players from ranking defensive champions. This means those defensive champs are in a way wasted, as they will never be fully utilized for fear that a new Blade will come along later and render them useless, and you would have wasted your T2A. Kabam would have to design future champs to be offensive or dual use, unless they want the champ to just sit at the bottom of rosters.

I personally disagree with the stance that a champ deserves a RDT because of a counter. I was always hesitant to rank mordo, but I did not only because of his defense, but because he can block unblockable specials, and if you know how to ramp up his furies, he does some good damage. There are champs that excel on defense, I don't deny that, but they have their uses elsewhere.

Hey There,

What you've described is an evolving Meta, and it's something that will always happen in every game that receives continuous content and updates. This is not grounds to say that your Champion has changed and is certainly not an example for when Rank Down tickets would be warranted.

We're glad to see you all enjoyed the Rank Down tickets that were distributed in December, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) that does not mean that they are going to become a regular addition to the Contest.

I don't think anyone is getting my point. I'm not advocating for rank down tickets, nor do I feel it should be a regular addition ... But I do think that maybe more care has to be made in new character design. There is a difference between an effective counter (which is welcome) and a total counter (which means goodbye to using that champ for the purpose you had).

I already have my attack teams set up, I'm not going to be bringing a champ like Mordo anywhere meaningful as I've got much better attack champs. The solution is simple, don't rank defensive champs just in case they get screwed. So Kabam has to make more Medusa like champs and fewer Mordo champs. I know jugs and Mordo is just gonna hang out with KK and colossus now.. And I'm saying this in general, I don't have them ranked up personally.
    Who we use for what purpose is up to us. Releasing a Champ that can counter another doesn't render that Champ useless.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    The solution is simple, don't rank defensive champs just in case they get screwed.

That is a solution, if you don't mind never having any good AW defenders.

Every time you spend rank up resources, you have a choice to make. You have to choose which champions to upgrade, and which you won't upgrade because resources are not unlimited. You *also* have to decide whether to rank up at all, or save for later. You have to calculate whether the value of the champion you rank up today is worth the resources, given that the game will change over time and newer champions will be added to the game. This is all deliberate and intentional. Your attitude is one approach to rank ups: rank up conservatively, and only for attack. Don't value good defenders because they won't have enough value for long enough before newer champs change the value of that defender. That's a personal approach to rank ups. It is not the only one, and it is not necessarily the right one.

At the end of the day, games are about choices, and the most interesting choices are the ones where different players make different choices, those choices are irreversible, and none of them are provably the best or the worst choices in all cases. Rank up decisions are one of those kinds of choices for MCOC. That's why they are generally irreversible, often expensive, have important consequences for the player, and there is no general consensus on the right way to do them. Regretting some choices, and sometimes outgrowing other choices, is a necessary and unavoidable property of any game that contains interesting choices. Choices that no one regrets and no one ever outgrows are uninteresting choices.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    The solution is simple, don't rank defensive champs just in case they get screwed.

Every time you spend rank up resources, you have a choice to make. You have to choose which champions to upgrade, and which you won't upgrade because resources are not unlimited. You *also* have to decide whether to rank up at all, or save for later. You have to calculate whether the value of the champion you rank up today is worth the resources, given that the game will change over time and newer champions will be added to the game. This is all deliberate and intentional. Your attitude is one approach to rank ups: rank up conservatively, and only for attack. Don't value good defenders because they won't have enough value for long enough before newer champs change the value of that defender. That's a personal approach to rank ups. It is not the only one, and it is not necessarily the right one.

At the end of the day, games are about choices, and the most interesting choices are the ones where different players make different choices, those choices are irreversible, and none of them are provably the best or the worst choices in all cases. Rank up decisions are one of those kinds of choices for MCOC. That's why they are generally irreversible, often expensive, have important consequences for the player, and there is no general consensus on the right way to do them. Regretting some choices, and sometimes outgrowing other choices, is a necessary and unavoidable property of any game that contains interesting choices. Choices that no one regrets and no one ever outgrows are uninteresting choices.

I do agree with all of this. But I think there's a reason almost everyone is making the same choices. All I see everywhere at the top are blade faces. I like different players making different choices as you said, but I'm trying to say that if the character designs are not careful, then the game becomes unbalanced, and everyone ends up making the same choices.

As you mentioned, my approach is one approach, and the one I believe in as a personal decision (fyi you can still have good awd with my approach by ranking dual use champs like Medusa). But I do feel sorry for people who ranked defensive champs to help their alliances, and then have those champs now get steamrolled.

I'm not advocating for rank down tickets as a regular part of the game but offering another perspective on how a champ is "changed" even without being changed directly. Given how rare T2A is, it's always going to be a big risk ranking a defensive champ as you can't foresee what the new batch of new champs are. Be prudent, for sure, don't get yourself stuck with a "jugs/ Mordo" situation!!
  • CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    CpcBoyboy wrote: »
    never again rankdowsn ticker is an exploit for prestige, yes kabam can give me i rankdown low prestige to get more ..

Not really. I want only 4 star tickets
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    DNA3000 wrote: »

I do agree with all of this. But I think there's a reason almost everyone is making the same choices. All I see everywhere at the top are blade faces. I like different players making different choices as you said, but I'm trying to say that if the character designs are not careful, then the game becomes unbalanced, and everyone ends up making the same choices.

Kabam is not the best in terms of overall game balance, but the kinds of things you're talking about are things I would expect to see in a correctly balanced game. In a game like this you will always expect a certain amount of power inflation: without it the game would be perceived as stale and boring. So over time the newer stuff will, on average, be stronger than the old stuff. Not in every specific case, but on average over time. Eventually, even in a perfectly balanced game, there will be attackers that are especially good at defeating defenders that seem to be particularly strong today, and vice versa. You can't really call that one poor balance or design. That supercession over time is very important to maintaining the longevity of the game. It keeps things from getting locked in.

Blade is the champ du jour, but he is not the first and will not be the last. There was Iceman before him, and Star Lord before them, and lots in between. And even Blade is not holding onto his crown as tightly as he was not that long ago: champions like Medusa are gaining ground as preferred champions over Blade in a lot of parts of the game. I don't see Blade as a bad trend in general. He's an outlier, in a game that will always have outliers.

Also, it is a little odd to me that you'd point to Blade as devaluing Mordo, because I don't consider Blade to be an especially interesting counter to Mordo. Iceman is a much better counter to Mordo, and there's also the simple fact that Mordo can be skilled around: with practice *everything* is a counter to Mordo. I think Mordo is being devalued as a defender more from the fact that people are learning to fight him than any specific attacker's abilities are doing. To be frank, Mordo was devalued more when AW removed thorns than from any specific attacker's introduction since then.
  • BCdiscmanBCdiscman Posts: 348
    edited May 2018
    Hey There,

What you've described is an evolving Meta, and it's something that will always happen in every game that receives continuous content and updates. This is not grounds to say that your Champion has changed and is certainly not an example for when Rank Down tickets would be warranted.

We're glad to see you all enjoyed the Rank Down tickets that were distributed in December, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) that does not mean that they are going to become a regular addition to the Contest.

I hate to say this but I actually agree with KM on this point. Besides which the watered-down RDT they gave us in December were much less useful and almost a burden to me at least. With the extreme gold shortage and KABAM seemingly being very stingy on being willing to correct the problem by updating rewards to help the gold situation giving RDT that did not return the gold we spent ranking up those Champs in the first place just caused undo stress to an already stress heavy game. i.e. spend hours and hours more grinding for the much needed gold to be able to use those RDT or watch them expire unused. At least that is my feelings on the matter.
  • CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    BCdiscman wrote: »
    Hey There,

I hate to say this but I actually agree with KM on this point. Besides which the watered-down RDT they gave us in December were much less useful and almost a burden to me at least. With the extreme gold shortage and KABAM seemingly being very stingy on being willing to correct the problem by updating rewards to help the gold situation giving RDT that did not return the gold we spent ranking up those Champs in the first place just caused undo stress to an already stress heavy game. i.e. spend hours and hours more grinding for the much needed gold to be able to use those RDT or watch them expire unused. At least that is my feelings on the matter.

So if you find bo use on 4 stars RDT that is your situation. I have an abudance of gold. 11 million and would not mind getting one random 4 star rank down ticket in uncollected rewards a month
  • BCdiscmanBCdiscman Posts: 348
    CapWW2 wrote: »
    ...I have an abudance of gold. 11 million...

Can a Brotha Get a Loan?

fdllmbo5ifmp.jpg
  • Just give out 1 every 6 months. Gives players a little something to tweak their rosters and keeps it from being something that PTP players can exploit.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 777 ★★★

Hey There,

I don't agree at all. I'm still mad about the 6* that made 90% of my 4* useless, and that's include every single T4CC spent to rank them up. IMHO, that is not evolving Meta, it's screwing players.
    Actually, that is the definition of an evolving Meta. There really is no such thing as Ranking choices that will carry you through the duration of the game.
  • Avetrex2Avetrex2 Posts: 59
    I was once very skilled with my Black Panther Civil War, I decided to take him to rank 4, I have now realized how bad he actually is and I am starting to request a buff on him or the original rank down tickets- Give gold and ISO-8 back- and give us only one ticket for 4*, 5*, and maybe even 3*
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,498 ★★★★★
    No.
  • superunknown012superunknown012 Posts: 413 ★★
    Not happening.
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    have fun with your black panther!
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    It’s ok. I rank 4ed dd Netflix. Then, the 12.0 compensation came up, and I used a generic gem on him. But now I have a duped hulk, duped AA, etc. So it’s ok. Soon that bp will fall into obscurity.......
  • Rado666Rado666 Posts: 8
    Wow that was simple question and turned to massive conversation. But thank you now we all know that is 50/50
  • Rado666Rado666 Posts: 8
    Some people want some don't and Kabam Mike explained
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    A long while back o r4 my Colossus he has not been used for a long time