**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why are returning & older players are punished this hard - Lack of catch-up mechanics

hope4tghope4tg Posts: 149
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Not only there is INSANE power creep regarding the champions there is also the fact that the quests/aq/aw meta require higher rank / higher star rating as time goes by. As a returning player I was very upset that my good 4* roster of ~1.5 year ago is just worthless now because of the ridiculous champions/nodes that they have to go against now and the fact that I missed out on a long time of meta progression which means that 5* and 6* champs simply outclass my roster.

In any other game, devs are eager to bring back older players; there are catch-up mechanics. In games, catch-up mechanics are supposed to be paths for progression for returning players that do not upset or undermine the current players efforts (so you wouldn't give returning players 5 5* crystals immediately but maybe only an increased rate of 5* shards until their first 5* crystal and that would be it).

In any multi-player game where the progression lies in numbers (health, attack power, ranks, stars, etc.) catch-up mechanics are essential. These mechanics are never behind pay-walls or time-gating and are available to all players but are skewed towards the benefit of returning players (since the current players might find the rewards not that satisfactory while returning players would love those rewards).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game when I first started in 2015 - and yes I gave a break because of real life reasons but now I am playing it again and having a lot of fun. However it feels like progression is unreasonably slow.

Comments

• Options
    LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    edited June 2018
    You get 5 star shards more easily now than you used to back then, so there's that at least. Still a lot of rewards need some major updating (22h events, alliance events, alliance quest, etc). The game is shifting towards 6 stars, so it wouldn't hurt to make 5 star shards and T2A a little more available. We're (luckily) bottlenecked by T5B anyway.
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    edited June 2018
    You're in a much better position than I was 7 months back @hope4tg

I started this game 2 years ago, created account, but never played. Joined again in Nov 2017 and started playing. Was unaware of the beginner arena, so I was straight into veteran and couldn't get any 4* until I raised my roster to a point of competitiveness, which took me about 2 months.

After that, I was able to put up scores and bagged each and every arena champs (except a couple since I needed a break).

With Kabam giving so much of free stuff, it is pretty easy to acquire 5* shards, I am opening about 2 five stars each month (maybe more if I spend units). You've got to grind to get back in the game, to me it seems like you want stuff to be handed over after a 1.5 year break. You're lucky you even found the game alive and your account intact.

Good luck.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★
    Just go do Act 5. And you've caught up.