**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

A causal loop to consider about cheaters/bans....

gannicus0830gannicus0830 Posts: 606 ★★★★
So I just read a thread on here where a user inquired as to what offenses constitute a ban, and a moderator responded and closed the thread with a typical canned post. However, the mod did reference cheaters and how their (Kabam's) concerns match our own regarding stopping it, and that got me thinking.

What causes people to even consider cheating in a game like this?
Is it profit? Sure, sometimes, like where units are concerned.
Competitive desires? Maybe. Some people can't stand to lose at anything.

I think it's something beyond these things, and this may sound strange, but I think Kabam is responsible.

Hear me out.
We all know how scarce resources become when you are in that wasteland between mid- level and endgame player status. You hit a point where, even if you have succeeded as a free-to-play player up till then, if you want to progress any further, you have to spend. Clever business model to be sure, but for people who love the game but who's bank account won't allow them to "whale out", what are their choices?

1. Play when they can and grind to the point where they no longer enjoy the game just to piece together enough gold/cc/iso etc to rank up one champ in a few months.
2. Consider alternative means to enjoy their game again.

Cause and effect; someone cheats, they get banned, but Kabam never stops to consider why people might be cheating in the first place.

Not condoning it, and I've never done it myself (I'm in that tedious grinding period I mentioned before), but if I were the type to do it, this is why I would.

Just a thought.

Comments

• SolswerdSolswerd Posts: 1,860 ★★★★
    I say this as someone who has been fairly irritated with some of the choices and actions by Kabam in the last few months, but I cannot buy into this mentality of it's partially Kabam's fault that people cheat. I just feel like that is a complete overreach of "victim mentality" where folks don't take responsibility for their own actions.
    The argument about a lack of progress doesn't rationalize cheating. Most "free to play" games put speedy progress behind a paywall...this is not unusual. If you are not a patient person....you should not play "free to play" games. You can either pay and progress faster, or find a level you can play the game at to enjoy it for what it is. Plenty of relaxed alliances out there where you can get together and beat the **** out of comicbook characters and have some fun.
    I think how long this game has been active has become a motivating factor for some to cheat. You see posts on the forums of people complaining that only the higher level accounts get good stuff, people looking at the rewards for Uncollected and other challenging content. Much of this comes from players with a year or so playing the game. Those players forget that many of us have 3 years put into this, and it took that long to build these rosters that can take down that level of content. They are unaware that their progression in that first year is much quicker than it was for our first years. They get frustrated, and some choose to cheat.

I guess what I am saying is, if someone gets to that point of frustration....walk away from the game, or find a group of folks where you can just have fun playing every week. It is just a game. But I have no pity for cheaters.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Not condoning it

Yes, you are. If you are sincere in your assertion that Kabam is at fault for compelling players to cheat, then you can't blame players for doing something they are not responsible for.

You, and you alone decide whether or not you cheat. That's true everywhere, not just in this one game. You decide to be someone that will follow the rules and accept those limitations, or you decide that your own personal needs are more important than following the rules. And to be frank, if you're someone that will cheat in a mobile game, I believe you're someone that will cheat in any other situation where the stakes are much higher, like everywhere else.
  • gannicus0830gannicus0830 Posts: 606 ★★★★
    I feel I should reiterate so there's no misunderstanding; I have never cheated nor intend to do so, I was simply offering another perspective.
  • Starkiller_KE2_0Starkiller_KE2_0 Posts: 154
    I think it is pretty clear that all content in the game is possible to complete using "free to play" means. Yes, it takes longer, and skill, but every piece of content (besides labyrinth of legends) I have completed without ever paying for anything, as well have some youtubers. You may not be able to be in a top allliance without spending (I am in gold 1 but content), but as of now, being free/cheap is still a viable option in the game.
  • MyselfandiMyselfandi Posts: 165
    I do blame Kabam. 7 days for shady/ illegal conduct? Is that all? Hell. Think I'll try some of that if that's all I'm gonna get IF i get caught.