**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Magik 4 Star good or not?

I recently acquired a magik and my friend says that unless she is duped she is trash. Is he correct or is she good for power control? Please state your reasoning. Thanks.

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    He is very, very incorrect. Magik’s dupe is needed for defence, and can be useful for a bit of sustainability for offense but it isn’t needed. She is still the best power control champ in the game unduped in my opinion.
  • Nitro422Nitro422 Posts: 276
    Unduped shes awesome, duped shes amazing.
  • TheVyrusTheVyrus Posts: 418 ★★★
    He is very, very incorrect. Magik’s dupe is needed for defence, and can be useful for a bit of sustainability for offense but it isn’t needed. She is still the best power control champ in the game unduped in my opinion.

I agree with all but the last sentence. That is Hawkeye.
  • TheVyrus wrote: »

I agree to agree all but the last sentence. That is Dormammu
    TheVyrus wrote: »

I rate power lock far more than power drain personally. Hawkeye drains 40% power, Magik steals 33% and power locks for 9 seconds. The 33% power gets you back to a bar of power after the L2 then 9 seconds is easily enough to get the next bar of power. Add mystic dispersion as well and magik keeps them at 0 power the entire fight. Hawkeye cannot do that.

Dormamu is one of the toughest fights in the game, since not many can counter him. Power drain and intercepting is the best way, Magik is the best to do it.

If he didn’t hit like a wet noodle then yes. Dormamu theoretically is better at controlling power but in practice, there is no fight I’d rather take Dorm than magik. He just doesn’t hit hard enough.
  • I personally rate Dormammu and DV the best power control champs in the game. I like more Dormammu tbh. His power control does not rely on specials ( as magik, he and dv do). Just MLM a bunch of times and keep the opponent from gaining a bar of power. His double immunity makes him amazing. I wish i had a 4* or 5* version of him :(
  • TheVyrus wrote: »

If he didn’t hit like a wet noodle then yes. Dormamu theoretically is better at controlling power but in practice, there is no fight I’d rather take Dorm than magik. He just doesn’t hit hard enough.

Yeah, i agree with your point. He does not hit hard.
  • godsquad891godsquad891 Posts: 779 ★★

og vision or sw
    but yeah hawkeye is good lol

• TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★
    edited August 2018

og vision or sw

SW is in no way even close to best power control as it's all based on rng.
    I would say best power control is either of vision or dorm they are the only champs who can stop anyone ever getting to a bar of power
  • CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    Magik is god tier even unduped. Her power steal is a spamming marvel. Her sp3 is very insane too.
  • AnkalagonnAnkalagonn Posts: 535 ★★
    edited August 2018
    You kinda won the game now. She is really good, now, duped and with mystic dispersion she becomes a beast
    But for the op as others have said magik is amazing even unduped and is definitely one of the best power controllers in the game
  • IcsGrecIcsGrec Posts: 919 ★★★
    Magik is one of the best power control champs in the game. For offense she doesn't need to be duped.
    A lot of people only look at Magik as a defender, which is VERY wrong imo.

Rank her up. She'll be worth it.
  • DrenlinDrenlin Posts: 787 ★★★
    With MD mastery she is one of the answers to this months adaptoid boss. Her S3 simply destroys him and with MD she gains power fast enough that his regen cant keep up
  • Noob2435Noob2435 Posts: 627 ★★★

I agree with all but the last sentence. That is she-hulk.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    You got urself a gem of a champ. She was my first PHC 4* and my first r5 about a year ago. She won’t do u wrong promise
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★

But guys what about red skull *winks charismatically*
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian
    TwmR wrote: »

og vision or sw

SW is in no way even close to best power control as it's all based on rng.
    I would say best power control is either of vision or dorm they are the only champs who can stop anyone ever getting to a bar of power

There isn't one best power control champ because no champ does all elements of power control well, but there are a few that are best in class for certain parts of power control. OG Vision and Dorm can in theory stop champs from getting to their first bar of power, but because OG Vision doesn't have power lock and Dorm's power lock is relatively short they actually aren't the best in situations where the target has power gain. Magik has to build to SP2 to begin draining power so she cannot stop the target from gaining at least one or two bars or power, but she is the rare champ that can both power lock and power drain with the same attack, and the power lock is long. Once she lands the lock she can prevent the target from gaining any more power *and* drain out any power they might have had previously. She is better at controlling things with power gain, and is more forgiving of a power controller than OG Vision and Dorm.

I don't think Hawkeye is quite as good as the others above in power control. Although his power drain is good in general, it isn't best in any particular circumstance like Dorm, OG Vision, and Magik can lay claim to.

Dr. Voodoo is an interesting power control champ to me. His power burn is extremely powerful and can often keep the target completely powerless. His lack of power lock reduces that effectiveness in the face of power gain. But conversely unlike most power control champs using his power control increases his damage rather than reduces it in some way.

The wild card is Ghost Rider. He doesn't have continuous power control like the others above. But his SP3 fate seal/power lock can, when used properly, provide very good situational power control. But strictly in terms of power control, he's not in the same class as the others above.

Oh yeah, and your friend is very, very incorrect. Magik doesn't need to be duped to be great on offense. The dup is only needed for defensive placement as stated above.
  • FhfjghhggggjfhfjgFhfjghhggggjfhfjg Posts: 4,492 ★★★★★
    edited August 2018
    Magik doesnt need the dupe to be awesome
    @DNA3000 yea all fair points, i think i was just triggered by someone suggesting SW as best power controller and just wrote something quickly but as you say magik, voodoo and ghost rider all have great power control mechanics.
    As a left field suggestion for great power control against all champs but hyperion and doctor strange or against kinetic reactor nodes, quake can win any match without allowing the opponent to gain any power
    Another good power control I haven’t seen people suggest would be doc Ock. Have to get to sp3 to get there, (even though you have shorter ones along the way) but you can perma power lock like magik. I really like Doc Ock as a power control champ
    Another good power control I haven’t seen people suggest would be doc Ock. Have to get to sp3 to get there, (even though you have shorter ones along the way) but you can perma power lock like magik. I really like Doc Ock as a power control champ

I'm honestly not good enough with Doc to suggest him, but I've seen good results from other people.
    TwmR wrote: »
    @DNA3000 yea all fair points, i think i was just triggered by someone suggesting SW as best power controller and just wrote something quickly but as you say magik, voodoo and ghost rider all have great power control mechanics.
    As a left field suggestion for great power control against all champs but hyperion and doctor strange or against kinetic reactor nodes, quake can win any match without allowing the opponent to gain any power

There's another corner case power control champ: Rogue. She power steals with SP2 and while she cannot really fully power control the target, she can often prevent a target from ever getting to SP3. She's not really competitive with the big boys and girls of power control, but sometimes she can be good enough.

(Rogue's tag line should be: often good enough. Not immune to poison, but often good enough. Not the best heal, but often good enough. Not really great power control, but often good enough...).
    DNA3000 wrote: »

I'm honestly not good enough with Doc to suggest him, but I've seen good results from other people.

Really? I wasn’t convinced there was a huge skill cap with the Doc. Really all you need to do is hit into the block a few times, then build to L3. Once you’re at L3 make sure to trigger a power lock then launch the l3. After that, you get a long enough power lock to re-apply it every time you get to an L1.

I think Doc Ock is quite underrated, not that people say he’s bad, but honestly, if I pulled him as a 6* I’d seriously consider rank 2.

Really? I wasn’t convinced there was a huge skill cap with the Doc. Really all you need to do is hit into the block a few times, then build to L3. Once you’re at L3 make sure to trigger a power lock then launch the l3. After that, you get a long enough power lock to re-apply it every time you get to an L1.

I think Doc Ock is quite underrated, not that people say he’s bad, but honestly, if I pulled him as a 6* I’d seriously consider rank 2.

It is more a case of me getting Doc later rather than sooner, and not having the time to really practice much with him. There's more things I want to get better at than there are hours in the day.

It is more a case of me getting Doc later rather than sooner, and not having the time to really practice much with him. There's more things I want to get better at than there are hours in the day.

I’d recommend moving him a little up your list then!

A joke, but seriously he is very good and I’d really suggest giving him some practice. I only have a 4* unduped, but rank 5 and I use him in uncollected when I want to take in my B and C teams

I’d recommend moving him a little up your list then!

A joke, but seriously he is very good and I’d really suggest giving him some practice. I only have a 4* unduped, but rank 5 and I use him in uncollected when I want to take in my B and C teams

Currently I'm working on getting better with Quake and Nebula, plus a little of Void in there. Quake and Nebula have a slight overlap in the skill set and while I'm already decent with Nebula, it behooves me to get better since I have her as 6*. Next on the list is probably Doc Oc and Morningstar.