Champion Spotlight - Korg

edited October 12 in General Discussion
Korg enters The Contest August 30th at 10AM PDT, but you can add him to your team early by purchasing his Preview Bundle on August 21st at 10AM PDT!

About Korg:
Oh, hey there, my name is Korg. As you can see… I am made of rocks. Perishable rocks though, so don’t put me into fights thinking I am invincible, unless my opponent is made of scissors. Ha! … Anyway, Miek is here too and wants to help, so instead of blocking with my rock arms, I let Miek taste some of the action! After all, that’s what friends are for!

v48fz1g12kg5.gif

Base Stats & Abilities

*All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99

Health: 17788
Attack: 1047
Max PI:
Without Signature: 3830
With Signature (99): 4763

*All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65, Signature Level 200

Health: 35666
Attack: 2098
Max PI:
Without Signature: 7719
With Signature (200): 10520

Character Class: Skill

Basic Abilities: Rock Anatomy, Crowd Excitement, Rock Shield, Unstoppable.

*All abilities based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99

Passive:/

• Rock anatomy provides Korg immunity to Bleed, Shock and additional Critical Resistance but decreases his Energy Resistance by 20%.

*** Developer Note: Korg is going to be a very efficient Alliance War Defender, but champions who have Energy Attacks will have an advantage against him. When going against him, bring in champions like Bishop, Dormammu, or Doctor Strange.

*** Developer Note: Since his body is made of rocks, he won’t be able to Bleed and Shock. This will make him a great counter against Champions like Blade or Wasp.

Crowd Excitement
• The crowd goes crazy when Miek makes an appearance while Korg is blocking an attack, increasing Crowd Excitement by 1 for 20 seconds. +1 on Well Timed Blocks. Only 4 Crowd Excitement charges can be gained through this ability.
• The crowd dislikes cowards cheering for Korg when opponents Evade or Dexterity his Basic Attacks, increasing Crowd Excitement by 2 for 20 seconds.
• When Crowd Excitement reaches 4 or more, Korg becomes Unstoppable and Unblockable for 2.5 seconds.

*** Developer Note: Korg is going to be a great counter to opponents who Evade, like Spider-Man and Quake, as well as opponents who rely on Dexterity to activate their abilities like Spider-Man (Stark Enhanced).

Heavy Attack

• Miek expels fluids on opponents when hitting with a Heavy Attack, creeping out the crowd and consuming all Crowd Excitement to inflict Armor Break, reducing their Armor Rating by 941 for each Crowd Excitement charge for 8 seconds.

Passive - Rock Shield

• Korg begins the fight with 9 Rock Shield charges which are removed each time he is struck. An additional charge is removed when Korg’s Dash Attack is interrupted by a Light Attack and if Struck by a Special Attack 3, all Rock Shield charges are removed instead.

• While Rock Shield is active, powerful enemy attacks cannot deal more than 40% of the opponent's Attack Rating in a single hit. Special 3’s cannot deal more than 120% of the opponent's Attack instead.

• When all charges are consumed, Rock Shield is shattered and it takes between 7 and 10 seconds to reform. Each time Rock Shield reforms it starts with 1 less charge.

*** Developer Note: Korg is made of perishable rocks, so it makes sense that his powerful shield mechanic is also “perishable”, hehe. Jokes aside, Rock Shield will be able to reduce damage taken by a great amount, and when Korg is awakened, he will become a monster Alliance War defender until players create new strategies when fighting against him.

Special 1: Hey, take it easy man! - Oh man, is that what this thing does? I thought it was just going to like, shoot some net or something. I oughta be careful with this thing.

• Opponents cannot Evade this attack.
• This attack is Unblockable if Crowd Excitement is greater than 1.

Special 2: Rocknado - When I was a kid, I said wanted to be a tornado in class one day and all the other kids laughed at me. But now my dream came true!

• +1256 Attack Rating for 2.5 seconds if Korg is Unblockable.
• Inflicts Bleed, dealing 1151 Direct Damage over 8 seconds.

Special 3: Friendly Fire - Miek said he wanted to help, but his legs are too small so I have to throw him and stuff. Don’t worry, his shell is quite resilient. I reckon he’ll be okay.

• Crowd Excitement goes up by 9 for 20 seconds.

Signature Ability: Rock Hard Thorns

When Attacked
• While Rock Shield is active and Korg is struck by a Medium, Heavy or Special Attack that makes contact, 1465 Physical Damage is inflicted to the opponent. This ability does not activate if the opponent’s hit deals Energy Damage and Mutant Champions take 25% less damage.
• While Rock Shield is active, Korg has a 65% chance to shrug off Debuffs and gain one Rock Shield charge for each Debuff shrugged off this way.

*** Developer Note: Thorns. A lot of players are scared of this word, and with reason. We’ve decided to introduce this ability in a character but add ways players can strategize around it in order to take 0 damage. Perishing his Rock Shield will be essential. Also, the damage inflicted through this signature ability will not scale with Quest Nodes since it is based on the Champion’s Base Attack.

*** Developer Note: Bishop, the other champions I mentioned previously, and others who use Energy Attacks will be great here. Remember… “This ability does not activate if the opponent’s hit deals Energy Damage”.

Synergy Bonuses

Pit Fighters with Thor (Ragnarok) - Unique Synergy
• Thor (Ragnarok), Korg: +15% Attack Rating and +20% Fury Buff for 8 seconds when using a Medium Attack to end a Basic Attack Combo while their opponent is pinned against the wall.

Grandmaster’s Champions with Hulk (Ragnarok) - Unique Synergy
• Hulk (Ragnarok): Crowd Excitement is locked at 100 for an additional 3 seconds.
• Korg: When Korg spends 13 or more Crowd Excitement charges through his Heavy Attack, the Armor Break lasts 20 seconds instead. Max Stack: 1.

Elemental Hide with Iceman - Unique Synergy
• Iceman: While Ice Armor is reforming, Iceman’s Attack Rating is increased by 15% as long as he does not get hit.
• Korg: If Korg is awakened, +15% chance to shrug off a Debuff while Rock Shield is active.

Enemies Lv.3 with Hela
• All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.

Friends Lv.3 with Heimdall and Loki
• All Champions gain +130 Armor Rating.

Recommended Masteries

Strength, Greater Strength, Glass Cannon & Double Edge
• All of those Masteries that enhance Base Attack will enhance the damage dealt by Thorns, making Korg an even better defender.

Energy Resistance
• Korg has one of the lowest Energy Resistance stats in the game, acquiring this Mastery will help protect him against champions like Bishop and Magneto.

Salve and Recovery
• Those Regeneration Masteries will be of great help if putting Korg on a Alliance Wars defense node that provides Regeneration. The longer the fight means the more chance an opponent will get damaged by Thorns.

Strengths

Blade, Spider-Man (Stark-Enhanced), Wasp
• Korg is Bleed and Shock immune, this means the powerful damage over time effects from those Champions will not hurt him. Additionally, using Dexterity against Korg’s Basic Attacks, he will periodically make him Unstoppable and Unblockable, making it hard to build up Poise charges.

Void, Luke Cage
• When awakened, Korg has a very good chance to shrug off Debuffs and gain a Rock Shield charge. Champions who rely on Debuffs to deal damage will be at a very big disadvantage because of this.

Weaknesses

Bishop, Dormammu, Magneto, Doctor Strange
• Energy Attacks will deal additional damage against Korg, and will bypass Thorns as well. A huge weakness when fighting against those champions.

Wolverine, Wolverine (X-23)
• Although Korg is immune to Bleed, Regeneration is a very powerful tool against Thorns. Players using those Champions will be able to start their combo with a Medium attack and withstand the damage inflicted by Thorns because of their Regeneration effects.

Black Widow
• Concussion is not effective against Korg because he can shrug off debuffs, but Black Widow’s Ability Accuracy reduction on hits is a passive ability, so she should be able to take minimum damage from Korg’s signature ability “Rock Hard Thorns”.
Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,061
    Oh joy
    Another champion with attacks that are difficult or impossible to avoid that can be Unblockable.
    ...Well I did ask for him to be top tier...
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 647
    Interesting that almost half of his weaknesses can only be had as 4*
  • ZerkoZerko Posts: 8
    Weaknesses

Bishop, Dormammu, Magneto, Doctor Strange
    Wolverine, Wolverine (X-23)
    Black Widow

So should we expect 5* versions of these characters soon or are we expected to use the 4* versions to take on 6* Korgs next month?
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 1,519
    This is hilarious... as many others have pointed out at least half of his viable weakness are only available as 4* (lets be honest, I don't care who you are, magneto is not your weakness). So I guess this means that we will be getting BW, Wolverine, and Doctor Strange as 5* now? Can't wait!
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,080
    Why did developers list champions only available as 4*s as counters to Korg? I might be missing something, can someone show a video of 4* Black Widow/Wolverine/Doctor Strange soloing a 4/55+ Korg in Alliance War? Until I see that I'll be bringing Proxima Midnight.
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 582
    Lurker wrote: »

• Rock anatomy provides Korg immunity to Bleed, Shock and additional Critical Resistance but decreases his Energy Resistance by 20%.

immune to shock but low energy resistance? huh?

hood's "shock" damage is energy based, is he immune or susceptible?

So he will get more energy damage for that hit but not the DOT shock.
  • LurkerLurker Posts: 163
    edited August 21
    PaytoPlay wrote: »

right, but what sense does that make? it's like saying the character takes more damage from poison attacks but is poison immune.

or maybe, take extra damage from sharp weapons but no bleed damage. PaperMan, doesn't bleed but ScissorsMan effs him up!
    PaytoPlay wrote: »

right, but what sense does that make? it's like saying the character takes more damage from poison attacks but is poison immune.

or maybe, take extra damage from sharp weapons but no bleed damage. PaperMan, doesn't bleed but ScissorsMan effs him up!

So there's physical damage and there's energy damage... Shock, bleed, poison are the additional effects. In fact I even think bleed effect can be physical or energy based but don't quote me on that... I still see a difference using your example - Scissorsman will cut whoever up quicker and harder (-20% energy resistance) but no bleed because you lose the 'after effect`.
    Seems like he may hit like a pillow though based on the stat
  • GamerGamer Posts: 2,534
    Cant say much berfor figth him if thorn wuld be as bas as it wher then u just make a joke of a game and dont never lissing.
  • TheSquish671TheSquish671 Posts: 1,877
    edited August 21
    Werewrym wrote: »
    This is hilarious... as many others have pointed out at least half of his viable weakness are only available as 4* (lets be honest, I don't care who you are, magneto is not your weakness). So I guess this means that we will be getting BW, Wolverine, and Doctor Strange as 5* now? Can't wait!

But surely there are other counters besides the listed ones. I'm thinking mordo, can block unblockable attacks, has energy damage attacks, and regen. What do you guys think? Is mordo a possible counter?
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 1,760
    edited August 21

But surely there are other counters besides the listed ones. I'm thinking mordo, can block unblockable attacks, has energy damage attacks, and regen. What do you guys think? Is mordo a possible counter?

Mordo on attack is a bad life decision. I was thinking Sabretooth with Killmonger synergy would probably be decent
    V1PER1987 wrote: »

Mordo on attack is a bad life decision. I was thinking Sabretooth with Killmonger synergy would probably be decent

But he could still be a good option for quests
    Riki_will wrote: »
    So purchased the Korg bundle today... guess what no korg.... feel ripped off

You have nearly a 0% chance to get Korg.
  • WEEDZ43WEEDZ43 Posts: 1
    Bought the Korg bundle. Duped him 5*
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,080
    5* & 6* Korg counters for AW:

Proxima Midnight - Massive energy damage on special attacks when prowess buffs are active

Dr. Voodoo - Regeneration, power control, offensive & defensive ability accuracy reduction, sp2 energy damage and power burn energy damage, massive spirit poison damage (odd combo sp1)

Crossbones/Elektra - Defensive ability accuracy reduction

Magik - Power control, regeneration from limbo, sp2 energy damage

Bishop - Massive energy damage and regeneration from prowess buffs

Feel free to add to this list. Here’s what Korg’s thorns damage looks like with his sig ability maxed at r5 50/65:

7ys0qu6zd00j.png
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 195
    LLLL combo when you don't have as favorable a matchup - though can't do those in all situations. Get his armor down, go to town until it comes back up.
    Another way to use bishop might be saving 3 bars of power from previous fight then launch sp3 immediately to deactivate rock shield.

Special 1: Hey, take it easy man! - Oh man, is that what this thing does? I thought it was just going to like, shoot some net or something. I oughta be careful with this thing.

• Opponents cannot Evade this attack.
    • This attack is Unblockable if Crowd Excitement is greater than 1.

By opponents cannot evade this attack, do you mean evade will have a 100% chance not to trigger at all, or evade will trigger but not work? Because i don't want evade to drop my block while trying to dodge and cause me to get hit.
    Could you please clarify @Kabam Vydious
  • Kayne34Kayne34 Posts: 45
    Hyp is solid counter. Parry LLLL combo until sp3. Then hit a sp1 or 2 before it returns.
  • abiramOMGabiramOMG Posts: 2
    goodddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    5* & 6* Korg counters for AW:

Proxima Midnight - Massive energy damage on special attacks when prowess buffs are active

Dr. Voodoo - Regeneration, power control, offensive & defensive ability accuracy reduction, sp2 energy damage and power burn energy damage, massive spirit poison damage (odd combo sp1)

Crossbones/Elektra - Defensive ability accuracy reduction

Magik - Power control, regeneration from limbo, sp2 energy damage

Bishop - Massive energy damage and regeneration from prowess buffs

Feel free to add to this list. Here’s what Korg’s thorns damage looks like with his sig ability maxed at r5 50/65:

7ys0qu6zd00j.png

DV and Elektra may not be too great considering he has a pretty high chance to shrug off debuffs when Rock Shield is active. Maybe it's just me. I would forget a lot.
  • ImranImran Posts: 212
    wah, free damage to all.. He is just like throns which hated by all players. Also his counter is a joke.
  • Is it gonna be another god or :( ????