Heimdall Testing - Long Post

V1PER1987V1PER1987 Member Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
So I posted a brief synopsis of Heimdall in his spotlight thread, but I thought I would create a thread to share some more detailed information, along with my opinion of the champion, and my opinions about what makes him great compared to other popular champions in the game currently.

NOTE: This is a post based mostly on opinion and my opinions on Heimdall and his abilities, synergies and overall utility. I will be posting some opinions about why I think he is better or worse than some champs. This is purely opinionated and not meant to be incendiary comments that attack other popular champs. My hope is that this can be a constructive conversation that will shed some light on this new champion that seems to be underwhelming according to popular opinion.

So let's start off with his strengths and what Heimdall does really well:

True Strike - So this is Heimdall's greatest asset. Permanent true strike. The way this works is anytime Heimdall activates a special, he gains a permanent true strike buff, that is only removed if Heimdall gets struck, not when his block is hit. If you are good at avoiding getting hit, this is an amazing asset to have. Heimdall gets additional abilities unique to him while true strike is activated. Opponents cannot use the dexterity mastery to evade (not important), Heimdall can parry projectiles (similar to Proxima), and Heimdall has a 25% chance to parry basic attacks (not terribly important, even on defense). The ability to parry projectiles is incredibly useful for those Yondus, IMIWs, and Dominos on war defense. A simple L1 special is all it takes to activate this, which is made much easier to achieve when he is awakened which I will mention later.

Permanent Buffs - Heimdall can convert a total of 5 buffs to be permanent each fight. These buffs include aptitude, precision, fury, and armor and this order determines which order Heimdall will try to convert first. Heimdall is much easier to setup than Hela, Proxima, or Angela, albeit with less damage output. Nonetheless, the setup is easy, and even though the buffs converted permanently expire at the end of battle, if he is awakened, these buffs convert into power for the next fight. To gain aptitude buffs, Heimdall must use an L3 special and for precision Heimdall must both be awakened, and not already have a true strike buff when he activates a special for it to trigger. For fury he gains 8 charges when attacking a block, or 16 when striking the opponent and he gains 8 armor charges when blocking an attack or 16 when being struck. 100 fury or armor charges triggers the respective buff for 10 seconds. Generally about 7 clean hits gets a fury buff. Once you trigger the desired buff, just use a heavy and it is permanently converted. In quicker fights I find that just trying to convert a few fury buffs is generally easier and most efficient. For longer fights, I recommend converting 3 fury buffs, his signature precision buff, and an aptitude buff gained from his L3 special. This will allow Heimdall to trigger much more crits without sacrificing too much in damage. As mentioned above, all remaining buffs will be converted into power in the next fight if Heimdall is awakened, which will be discussed later.

Synergies - This one can be argued as either a strength or a weakness, as Heimdall does not benefit from this himself. However, his synergies do provide powerful effects for his allies (fitting as he is a guardian):

Heimdall (himself) Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge - "Once per fight Heimdall will intercede on your behalf, the first time when you would be knocked out gain both an Indestructible and an Unstoppable Buff which last for 2 seconds." This synergy is great, because you do not need a specific champion to activate this synergy except Heimdall himself. This synergy allows you to be more aggressive if need be. This can synergize well with champs like OG Hulk and Punisher who gain power when their health is low, and can allow you to even potentially take an L3 special.

Heimdall (Thor, Thor Rag, Loki) Warriors of Asgard - "Once per fight Heimdall will intercede on your behalf, dash back and hold Block for 1.5 seconds to Regenerate 15% of missing Health instantly." This synergy can be very useful, especially when compared to the Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge synergy. However, keep in mind this is 15% of missing health not max health.

Heimdall (Angela, Hela) Lost Daughters of Asgard - "Once per fight Heimdall will intercede on your behalf, dash back and hold Block for 1.5 seconds to gain an infinite Duration Fury Buff increasing Attack by 15% of Base Attack." This synergy is self explanatory and a huge boon to anyone on your team, not just Angela or Hela. It helps that Angela and Hela are popular, great champs to use.

Heimdall (Magik, Guillotine) Enchanted Blades - "Once per fight Heimdall will intercede on your behalf, dash back and hold Block for 1.5 seconds to gain an infinite Duration Precision Buff increasing Critical Rate by 250." Not a bad synergy, especially since Magik and Guillotine are popular, great champs to use.

All Seeing (Signature Ability) - "Heimdall gains a 100% chance to trigger a Precision Buff increasing Critical Rating by *381.35* and lasting for 10 seconds, each time a True Strike Buff activates on him.
Heimdall converts all of the Buffs active on him at the end of the previous fight into Power. Start the fight with a Power Gain Buff granting *5.27%* of his Max Power per Buff converted at the beginning of the fight, over 5 seconds."
* *denotes this value is based on sig level. These values are based on a 5* Heimdall with sig level 64.

Let me start by saying I used my 5* generic awakening gem on him. Are there better champs suited for a generic gem? Of course. Do I regret my choice of using my generic gem on Heimdall? Not at all and here's why:

Heimdall has a very poor crit rate (9.2% at 4/55). I cannot imagine any champions' are lower. The precision buff Heimdall activates with a special is decent. It helps him with his incredibly poor base crit rate and with an aptitude buff, makes it even more potent. This allows Heimdall to strike with noticeably more crits than without the buff. The best part of Heimdall's signature ability though, is his power gain. He converts all buffs at the end of the fight into a power gain buff in the next fight. If my Heimdall had 5 buffs at the end of the fight, he would gain 26.35% power over 5 seconds in the next fight, which is pretty incredible. In most fights, even when you are not trying, you will have a minimum of 4 buffs, getting you more than halfway to an L1 within the first 5 seconds of the match. This is what I believe makes Heimdall such a great champion. At the start of your second fight and going forward, Heimdall basically has a special in the first 5 seconds, meaning he can basically trigger True Strike at the beginning of the match without any build up or setup. For champs like OG Spiderman, Miles Morales, or NC, this is a huge advantage to have to make your fights go very smoothly. Even against the likes of Medusa and IMIW, having True Strike up as soon as possible reduces the complications you will have in the fight and makes the fight so much easier. For this reason alone, I believe he was worth my generic awakening gem. I know others will feel differently and that is ok. For me (stun) immune spidey, Medusa, and IMIW are my nemeses. They can be very difficult for me, so I believe using a generic gem should be used for something that will add a lot of value, which will in turn reduce item usage. So for me, this was a no brainer.

Masochism/Immunity Nodes - Heimdall, like Angela, focuses mainly on buffs and not debuffs. This allows Heimdall to setup safely on these nodes and not worry about triggering regeneration. Also, Heimdall excels against certain fights like immunity Spiderman, which typically counters popular counters like Archangel, Elektra, and Iceman. Since True Strike is a buff, he can safely setup and counter Spiderman/NC on immunity nodes.

Flow and Animations - For a larger champion, Heimdall's movements and attack animations are very smooth. He feels very smooth and his animations flow very well. Also, I really enjoy his attack and special animations. He feels very powerful when using his specials. Also, it is worth mentioning Heimdall's heavy has longer range than most other champions, allowing him to counter heavy/special attacks easier.

Comments

• cx23433cx23433 Member Posts: 465 ★★
    Stopped reading after realizing there is a second part
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Member Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    cx23433 wrote: »
    Stopped reading after realizing there is a second part

Lol I don't blame you. But I did warn....
    zeezee57 wrote: »
    The more I use him I think a first easy fight is absolutely necessary to start the real fights with the power gain build up. I brought him to 5\50 since last posting here about him and one thing that's important for me at least is that the rank up raised his block proficiency to 60%, not amazing but better than in the 50s at R4.

Like you said his sig is a must as without the precision buffs he doesn't crit nearly enough even with crit masteries maxed. Your 4/55 crits are much higher than I'm getting at 5/50. Obviously that's to be expected but I'm talking close to double what I'm seeing. Not sure exactly how many fury buffs I have on me between the permanent and cycling but I haven't seen a crit over 3k, light or medium. Also at just sig 33 on my 4* my precision and power gain are quite a bit higher than yours, at 471 crit rate and 6.64% power gain per buff respectively.

Also agree with you about his animations and playability being a blast. He's a lot of fun to use and admittedly he's growing on me despite the lack of damage. After a ramp up fight to get the precision buff early I'm ending fights doing a bit less than 1k damage per hit on average. Around 50 hits for a health pool of 37k, 32 hits for 26.5k etc. Of course there's other variables at play fighting against different champs but the damage rate is pretty consistent. The first fight is around 500 damage per hit which is clearly lackluster for a 5/50 champ.

Overall I'm coming around with him, don't see him ever being among my top few champs used for later content but with some more getting used to he'll be seeing a lot more time on my war attack team, especially as we see more IWIM showing up. Just have to make sure to take down a diversity defender to get that early ramp up started so we're not going into important fights unprepared.

This is interesting. It almost makes me think that his attack scales differently as a 4* than a 5*. Heimdall's damage output really doesn't seem too low compared to other 4/55. For example, my 4/55 GP hits about 1,900 on a medium crit with a bleed for ~1,600 damage, so Heimdall doing 2,800 on a light crit and ~4k with a medium crit is pretty nice in my opinion. So it is interesting your results seem to differ.
  • ESFESF Member Posts: 2,011 ★★★★★
    edited August 2018
    I enjoyed it! True Strike is such an important asset, and yes, having it almost on demand after a ramp-up fight is amazing -- my bane are evade champions and I think every player hates AutoBlock, so it is great to see this utility in another character

I am also one of those people who doesn't mind less damage if the utility is good. I like to build questing teams to break the monotony of acquiring resources during the daily grind, and obviously, his synergies are great for that aspect of gameplay
  • Ketchup1791Ketchup1791 Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2018
    Safe to say he's the Blade of the auto block meta? Blade pretty much broke the Mystic defense meta in half; so I think Heimdall do the same for this one. It'll be interesting to see how that shapes up over the next few months; though. I know he can be a decent defender but his offensive utility vs the best defenders at the moment might make him God tier in many people's eyes. He'll defiantly over take Killmonger as the best True Strike user though.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,763 ★★★★★
    @V1PER1987 nicely done. This is a perfect user guide for him anf makes it even more tempting for me to use that generic AG. Thank you again!
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Member Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    @V1PER1987

Nice summary, and congrats on owning a cool champ.

A few things that could probably stand some clarification:

-Every champion with the Parry mastery can parry projectiles, but you keep referring to this as something unique to Heimdall and Proxima. Remember, a parry is a well-timed block that reduces block damage. I don't have these two champions, but what I think you mean is these champs can STUN opponents when parrying a projectile. I don't know Heimdall well...is this what you mean?

-In the self-synergy portion, you mention that Hulk and Punisher gain power at low health. They both have ways to increase damage output at low health, but they don't naturally gain any extra power at low health. Deadpool X-Force does, but not these guys.

In any case, nice write-up. I'd love to see more of these.
    @V1PER1987

-Every champion with the Parry mastery can parry projectiles, but you keep referring to this as something unique to Heimdall and Proxima. Remember, a parry is a well-timed block that reduces block damage. I don't have these two champions, but what I think you mean is these champs can STUN opponents when parrying a projectile. I don't know Heimdall well...is this what you mean?

-In the self-synergy portion, you mention that Hulk and Punisher gain power at low health. They both have ways to increase damage output at low health, but they don't naturally gain any extra power at low health. Deadpool X-Force does, but not these guys.

Parry stun Is What he meant.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Member Posts: 9,264 ★★★★★
    @V1PER1987

In regards to “power” I think Op meant not “literal power” as in power gain. But a strength sort of power. I.e. being more powerful.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Member Posts: 9,264 ★★★★★
    @Viper1987 thanks for writing this up, I’ll be sure to visit it again when/if I get my hands on a Heimdall. Really good post, and as we discussed before, hopefully it persuades some people that just because his damage isn’t the best, doesn’t mean he can’t be useful. I think Perma true strike is an awesome ability and, like you said, better than Killmonger in my opinion.
  • chunkybchunkyb Member, Content Creators Posts: 1,453 Content Creator
    Awesome write-up. Thanks man
    Also wanted to point out one other minor flaw in the design imo is needing the heavy to lock in buffs, specifically against stun immune in war. Once a buff is active, thinking of the precision buff in particular, you have 10 seconds to land a heavy from the start of the special attack animation. Without the ability to stun it's really tough to find an opening for a heavy that quickly, especially against someone like Modok uses attacks don't leave him in a position to drop a heavy without high risk of taking damage. That's really a minor thing big picture but one I found a bit annoying when fighting Modok and trying to keep a reasonable crit rate up.

It would have been nicer to incorporate the "dash back and hold" mechanic that is required for the synergies.
    Safe to say he's the Blade of the auto block meta? Blade pretty much broke the Mystic defense meta in half; so I think Heimdall do the same for this one. It'll be interesting to see how that shapes up over the next few months; though. I know he can be a decent defender but his offensive utility vs the best defenders at the moment might make him God tier in many people's eyes. He'll defiantly over take Killmonger as the best True Strike user though.

Yeah would say he is the Blade of the autoblock/evade meta. His true strike is fairly easy to setup and lasts infinitely.
    @V1PER1987

These are good points. I did write a lot and late at night so thanks for pointing these out. I did mean parry stun projectiles alongside Proxima. Also for the synergies I did mean they become more powerful, not that they gain actual power. If I ever manage to do another write up I’ll be sure to pay more attention to the terminology. Thanks!
    V1PER1987 wrote: »

This is interesting. It almost makes me think that his attack scales differently as a 4* than a 5*. Heimdall's damage output really doesn't seem too low compared to other 4/55. For example, my 4/55 GP hits about 1,900 on a medium crit with a bleed for ~1,600 damage, so Heimdall doing 2,800 on a light crit and ~4k with a medium crit is pretty nice in my opinion. So it is interesting your results seem to differ.

Yea I was really surprised to see those basic attack crit numbers you posted. Is that at his maximum, with precision, three fury and an aptitude or just natural playing without a specific build? I think its safe to say if I were seeing numbers even close to that this discussion probably wouldn't have started lol my highest medium crit so far has been less than your stated light crit, so unless I'm cycling the buffs poorly and not realizing somehow I should be seeing better damage output. I don't know of any other champs with that significant a difference between a 5/50 and a 4/55.

Yes this is with 3 fury, 1 precision, and 1 aptitude. We have to keep in mind mine is 4/55 so it’ll be slightly more powerful, although the numbers seem to have a larger gap than I would think. Also to respond to your other comment, keep in mind that Heimdall has great range with his heavy, although he may struggle against heavy attacks from champs like MODOK who also have slightly more range than normal.
    Demonzfyre wrote: »
    @V1PER1987 nicely done. This is a perfect user guide for him anf makes it even more tempting for me to use that generic AG. Thank you again!

Thank you. It was a bit long but I’m glad you enjoyed it. Like I said I don’t regret using my generic gem, but also, you might want to hold onto it until you’re sure you like using him and he will benefit you. I especially wouldn’t use one on him if he’s only R2, too.
  • MjolinarMjolinar Member Posts: 157 ★★
    Quality post and write up. Nice change of pace from the types of posts we have been seeing lately
    Mjolinar wrote: »
    Quality post and write up. Nice change of pace from the types of posts we have been seeing lately

Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words!
    https://youtu.be/9im3pPLG9IA

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

Here is a small clip of Heimdall vs node 27 Medusa. Ignore the horrible intercept I did at the beginning. Keep in mind, 4* 5/50 Medusa, 20% champ boost, and I only converted a precision buff.

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

Here is a small clip of Heimdall vs node 27 Medusa. Ignore the horrible intercept I did at the beginning. Keep in mind, 4* 5/50 Medusa, 20% champ boost, and I only converted a precision buff.

That was decent. I can see where it could have been a much shorter fight if she wasnt stun immune. It's pretty tricky getting heavies off with him. Not converting 1 or 2 furys can really hinder him.
    What you think if he had a unstoppable or unblockable heavy attack?

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

That was decent. I can see where it could have been a much shorter fight if she wasnt stun immune. It's pretty tricky getting heavies off with him. Not converting 1 or 2 furys can really hinder him.

It was also a long fight because she had breakthrough too so I had to get a lot of hits in there. An unstoppable heavy attack would be perfect actually.

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

It was also a long fight because she had breakthrough too so I had to get a lot of hits in there. An unstoppable heavy attack would be perfect actually.

I don't think he would be OP with that. They could apply a condition like must have 1 buff converted.

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

I don't think he would be OP with that. They could apply a condition like must have 1 buff converted.

Yeah I agree. It would add a lot of value to him without being game breaking. It can sometimes be difficult to convert on stun immune like you said. I need to work on my heavy counter game I guess. Medusa’s is easy if you practice. Or so I’ve seen in YouTube videos.
    edited August 2018

@Demonzfyre @zeezee57

The damage output wasn't too bad at all there. Do you run glass cannon or is that his attack rating with just the 20% boost? Also if you don't mind at 4/55 what are his base health and attack rating? That video goes to show just how much of an advantage he brings against one of the top war bosses/minis right now. Not only does he ignore her autoblock but each time he bypasses it her furies get wiped out too.

Like you showed Medusa isn't too hard to counter with a heavy even when you can't stun as long as she throws a sp1 or heavy within the time frame needed to convert the precision. A quick unstoppable similar to what Kingpin gets would have been a nice touch considering they made landing a heavy within a certain window a necessity. I brought him into my current war on a path toward stun immune NC mini so we'll see how he fares this time for me now that he's maxed. I knocked out an early fight with him to start with the power gain, but I think I'm gonna use a power boost anyway to start with a bar and drop a special right away. Just have to not worry too much about converting the precision that I push it and get hit.

k1nl7jc0hlui.png

@zeezee57 here are his base stats. I’m running GC 2, so not maxed out. And yeah I had true strike up right away with just his power gain. I only lost it because of a bad intercept. And that’s a good point that for Medusa she uses up her fury, too, which is another benefit. The damage isn’t too bad considering I only had 1, maybe 2 fury up. When I learn to counter Medusa’s heavy with my own, I can actually convert fury.
  • WerewrymWerewrym Member Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Nice video! I still think Magik is a much better option for Medusa on that node specifically, but he looks like a pretty good counter all the same. Do you have path 3 in AW? I usually take both node 27 boss and the 100% power gain boss. I fought a Gulk on 27 this war and he got a hit on me with his unstoppable mechanic (don't worry still 0 deaths though)
    Werewrym wrote: »
    Nice video! I still think Magik is a much better option for Medusa on that node specifically, but he looks like a pretty good counter all the same. Do you have path 3 in AW? I usually take both node 27 boss and the 100% power gain boss. I fought a Gulk on 27 this war and he got a hit on me with his unstoppable mechanic (don't worry still 0 deaths though)

I personally really don’t like Magik myself. To me I feel like she’s hyped up and I just don’t care to use her myself, but I see others do great things with her. With Heimdall or Killmonger, once true strike is up, she becomes just another champ with no other tricks. I do take path 3 and I usually head for the physical resistance/L1 unblockable boss which is OG Spidey 90% of the time. Usually I don’t get a chance at him because while I’m sleeping an international buddy takes it down. But that’s the other great thing about Heimdall/Killmonger, is for the path I typically take, there’s a Spidey mini so 2 birds.
  • WerewrymWerewrym Member Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    edited August 2018

I personally really don’t like Magik myself. To me I feel like she’s hyped up and I just don’t care to use her myself, but I see others do great things with her. With Heimdall or Killmonger, once true strike is up, she becomes just another champ with no other tricks. I do take path 3 and I usually head for the physical resistance/L1 unblockable boss which is OG Spidey 90% of the time. Usually I don’t get a chance at him because while I’m sleeping an international buddy takes it down. But that’s the other great thing about Heimdall/Killmonger, is for the path I typically take, there’s a Spidey mini so 2 birds.

That's awesome! Love it when one champs is the answer to both bosses on your path. We will have to agree to disagree on Magik because I think she is the answer to just about anything power related. For me she works amazing because usually Medusa is on 27 and then there are two 100% power gain nodes on the upper path. Either way great post with a great explanation of Heimdall's abilities. Glad to see he's a viable attacker.

That's awesome! Love it when one champs is the answer to both bosses on your path. We will have to agree to disagree on Magik because I think she is the answer to just about anything power related. For me she works amazing because usually Medusa is on 27 and then there are two 100% power gain nodes on the upper path. Either way great post with a great explanation of Heimdall's abilities. Glad to see he's a viable attacker.

Yes he is definitely a viable attacker and as I get more used to him, my errors should in theory go down and I can maximize converting buffs. Thanks for the kind words.