**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Questionable Motives for Introducing 5* Electro?

WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
This is not a conspiracy, I am actually genuinely curious about this. Why was Electro introduced as a 5* in such an odd manner, and why did the message in game specifically portray him as a counter to Corvus Glaive? I have no issues whatsoever with having Electro available as a 5*, there are plenty of counters for him. However, what I think is a bit questionable is the fact that the message is specifically selling him as the "counter" to Corvus. Is this the new marketing strategy?

To me it seems like Kabam is trying to save their own butts on a champion that can run over almost any defender in war. I would love to think that we are going to get the rest of our favorite champions as 5* such as SW, Dr Strange, Thor, and a few others, but based on past experience with Kabam I am really hesitant to believe that this is whats going on. It really just seems like a situation where one champ is steam rolling over every defender so the team quickly releases a "counter" to him. If this is the case, I think that the team should really reevaluate the motives behind releasing Electro as a 5*.

Again, I have no problem with Electro being introduced as a 5*, I just wonder as to the motives behind his release. This will not effect me as I don't have a Corvus to run in war and I have counters to Electro on my attack team, however, I am still curious on the matter. The odd circumstances of his release and the in game message lead me to believe that he is being released solely for the purpose of defeating one over-powered champ in war. I would love to be wrong about this, but I have trouble believing that I am. Any clarity from @Kabam Miike, @Kabam Lyra or @Ad0ra_ would be welcome.

Comments

• Mostu100Mostu100 Posts: 79
    Well let’s hope it’s the beginning of introducing more 5* versions of our favorite 4* champs like SW, DS, BW,Thor and more. It’s without a doubt he’s a good counter to Corvus but then again you see a science champ in war and you use your other options and it will work. I really hope it’s an introduction to more champs rather than just countering tactics
  • Bruce12342Bruce12342 Posts: 237
    Of course it’s a counter to Corvus... Kabam is a business and they need to market their products to the customers in a way that will make people want to spend.

I have Corvus and I thought it was time for a decent counter, lol. My boy just steamrolls EVERYTHING
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Mostu100 wrote: »
    Well let’s hope it’s the beginning of introducing more 5* versions of our favorite 4* champs like SW, DS, BW,Thor and more. It’s without a doubt he’s a good counter to Corvus but then again you see a science champ in war and you use your other options and it will work. I really hope it’s an introduction to more champs rather than just countering tactics

Agreed, I don't think it would be too hard to avoid fighting Electro with Corvus, I just hate the idea that Kabam is trying to bring in specific counters to one champion that is dominating in war and "losing them money." If this is the case they are becoming much more direct in their approach to creating counters for the OP champs they create.
  • B_Dizzle_01B_Dizzle_01 Posts: 1,637 ★★★
    5/65 electro main boss will be a pain.
    5/65 electro main boss will be a pain.

There are plenty of counters to him, enough that I don't think people will place him as the boss. We have BW, GP, AA, Quake, Blade, and a few others.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,736 ★★★★★
    Werewrym wrote: »
    Why was Electro introduced as a 5* in such an odd manner, and why did the message in game specifically portray him as a counter to Corvus Glaive?

On which date was this IG message released?
    winterthur wrote: »
    Why was Electro introduced as a 5* in such an odd manner, and why did the message in game specifically portray him as a counter to Corvus Glaive?

On which date was this IG message released?

Today, I'm not sure on the specific time though.
  • B_Dizzle_01B_Dizzle_01 Posts: 1,637 ★★★
    plenty of counters to most things in this game. But I still think he would be a pain. GP would still take a ton of damage before reaching 50 hits. BW would begin to be useful again. So that’s good. Blade counters most everything so nothing new. Quake on stun immune is a little risky. I think he would be pretty tough.
  • Money?
    Money?

Always a reliable option...
    plenty of counters to most things in this game. But I still think he would be a pain. GP would still take a ton of damage before reaching 50 hits. BW would begin to be useful again. So that’s good. Blade counters most everything so nothing new. Quake on stun immune is a little risky. I think he would be pretty tough.

I just remembered, the boss has true strike, so Quake would not work.
  • spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Even at 5/65 he'd be little problem for Elektra
    Even at 5/65 he'd be little problem for Elektra

Agreed. Again, the question isn't necessarily how hard he will be to fight, but why the odd circumstances around his release as a 5*. The fact that he is advertised as a "counter" to Corvus specifically seems questionable.
  • Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★
    I’ve seen people kill lol electro in one shot, aw boss would be no problem
  • Werewrym wrote: »

Agreed, I don't think it would be too hard to avoid fighting Electro with Corvus, I just hate the idea that Kabam is trying to bring in specific counters to one champion that is dominating in war and "losing them money." If this is the case they are becoming much more direct in their approach to creating counters for the OP champs they create.

You seem to be implying that if this was a subscription game and not an F2P microtransaction game, the dev team wouldn't do this. But that's how all subscription-based MMOs were and are balanced: you either nerf something when it is datamined to be performing outside the performance envelope, or you introduce counterbalancing content.

I'm not saying I'm certain of their motives for introducing Electro as a 5*, but it seems to be a reasonable possibility that it is a way to, as Kabam likes to put it, "shift the meta" in the higher end of the game. But that would be true even if this were a completely free game.
  • WaynedavyWaynedavy Posts: 193
    So they announced he is a counter to Corvus? They are a company they want to make money why is that a problem? I understand frustration but it's business
    DNA3000 wrote: »

You seem to be implying that if this was a subscription game and not an F2P microtransaction game, the dev team wouldn't do this. But that's how all subscription-based MMOs were and are balanced: you either nerf something when it is datamined to be performing outside the performance envelope, or you introduce counterbalancing content.

I'm not saying I'm certain of their motives for introducing Electro as a 5*, but it seems to be a reasonable possibility that it is a way to, as Kabam likes to put it, "shift the meta" in the higher end of the game. But that would be true even if this were a completely free game.

My problem is with the inconsistency... 12.0 introduced some serious nerfs to the best champs in the game who all steam rolled over much of the content available. Now we have Blade, Sparky, Corvus, and a few others that do the same thing, but Kabam's method of "shifting the meta" seems to have changed. What I think was odd about the introduction of 5* Electro is that they've never before done what they did today, and in the message they specifically sell him as a Corvus counter.

Now I'm not saying what they did was right or wrong, I'm just questioning why they all of the sudden changed the way that they "shift the meta." What seems most likely is that they have noticed how much steam rolling Corvus does and decided to change the method by which they counter OP champions. I just think that this method is a bit questionable seeing as they've never done it before and there was no announcement as to why they decided to do this now.

Also, I'm not sure where you get that I am implying anything about the game team doing things differently if the game was subscription based or F2P. I assure you that was not something I was trying to imply.
  • Rektor wrote: »
    The game isn’t about skill anymore. It’s about champ matchups and specific champ counters.

Was that back when we all had to steamroll the content with the same Scarlet Witch crit team, or was that even further back when we all had to build perfect block teams. I've lost track of which one was the skill game.
    Rektor wrote: »
    Corvus isn’t losing them money. He’s the most expensive champ to run at maximum potential.

Putting a 5/5 boost limit next to the 15/15 items would lose them money, which is why they won’t do it, even though it would resolve so many issues with war. But they make too much profit from selling boosts to ever do it, and as long as you can boost champs to 6k attack while using power return boosts and boosts that prevent you from dying and more, everything will get steamrolled.

Let’s stop pretending Corvus ushered in some era of steamrolling defenders, as if none of us existed to read the forums for the last 12 months of complaining about the trinity.

The game isn’t about skill anymore. It’s about champ matchups and specific champ counters. Bring on electro. I’m sure 5.65 gwenpool owners are terrified.

I'm not sure why you say that Corvus is the most expensive champ to run at max potential... Care to explain? My experience with Corvus is that he ends fights quick enough that it reduces the chance of mistakes being made and thus potions needing to be used.

As for Corvus ushering in an era of steamrolling defenders I think we all know the effectiveness of the trinity. The one difference that I see is that Corvus essentially has no counters. There really aren't any "bad" matchups which makes it understandable why kabam would want to create a counter for him. I just don't understand why they decided to change the way they introduce counters. They've never before done what they did today, so I'm curious as to what changed for them.
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    The game isn’t about skill anymore. It’s about champ matchups and specific champ counters.

Was that back when we all had to steamroll the content with the same Scarlet Witch crit team, or was that even further back when we all had to build perfect block teams. I've lost track of which one was the skill game.

We didn’t all have to do anything. Maybe some of you did.

When was the last special event that was actually hard, relative to the strongest accounts in the game? Chloe? Coulson? Somewhere around there.

Anyway, back to the point, Corvus isn’t losing them money and Electro isn’t saving them any. Just another champ with numerous direct counters that will result in him getting 0 kills on defense when paired with the 4-7 boosts per fight that will inevitably be used.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,736 ★★★★★
    What I think was odd about the introduction of 5* Electro is that they've never before done what they did today, and in the message they specifically sell him as a Corvus counter.

I think it is the only way to avoid RDTs.
  • Rektor wrote: »

We didn’t all have to do anything. Maybe some of you did.

And we still don't. Maybe some of you do. But I don't.
  • KDTrippeKDTrippe Posts: 68
    I wish they used a different name than Corvus Glaive it didn’t mention a counter at all. It ain’t that deep