**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Karnak vs Dr Voodoo (r5)

Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Now on paper this SHOULD be a closed case but with the Spider-Man Web Slinger tomorrow I am doubting them both! Voodoo has 50% Evade reduction when using Odd Special combos putting him on par with Agent Venom for anti spider utility however a class disadvantage and being so frail could easily spell trouble as he'll also lack a TON of damage when Brother Daniel is on the enemy and not Voodoo

Karnak however has roughly 20% armor to all physical attacks and a block that can easily be called 2nd best after the Captain Americas. Combine this with the L1 True strike and the ability to cripple spiders with class advantage has many merits except it can be tricky to chain at times…

Karnak vs Dr Voodoo (r5) 16 votes

Karnak
18%
Golden_GuardianSlySlydangerblu 3 votes
Voodoo
81%
GamerLocoMotivesShrimkinsKronos987654321TillerTheKillerMattandCJRaganatorAviWeizmanAppleisgodSungjFitnesscwJim0172iSymbiote 13 votes

Comments

• LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    Voodoo
    Did I miss something where Karnak stopped sucking? Voodoo is the most versatile attacker in the game, rank and don't look back.
  • Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    Did I miss something where Karnak stopped sucking? Voodoo is the most versatile attacker in the game, rank and don't look back.

Yeah he's insanely frail! Against the same Spider-Man Voodoo died in 4 hits while Karnak TANKED 5 hits into a L1 and still killed the Spider-Man… I live Voodoo but… there's a gem on the line

(Also this was vs a 5* 4/55 so Karnak seems to actually be worth his Physical resist)
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,501 ★★★★★
    Voodoo
    This isn't even close.
    Voodoo
    You don't rank for a single event, you'd be throwing away 3 class cats with Karnak in my opinion.

That said, your game and you can rank who you want. But no way the forum will justify this one.
    You don't rank for a single event, you'd be throwing away 3 class cats with Karnak in my opinion.

That said, your game and you can rank who you want. But no way the forum will justify this one.

The rewards include a T4cc and 14k fragments so it's closer to 1 and a half

It's only 1 cosmic which absolutely sucks!
    And 2 skill… which if I ever get a usable skill champ in a year I might consider being salty
    Voodoo
    Totally your call man. But this is the kind of short-sighted rank up that leads to regret and asking for RDTs...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    My advice for rank ups is always the same: rank up what you will use immediately in a significant way. Voodoo is the far better champion in my opinion, but that is irrelevant. If you don't have any better options for dealing with evade and you want to use Karnak as your Spider-slayer, then rank that up.

But if you are going to do that, I would recommend holding off and waiting for the event to arrive, and then using the 4/40 in the early going. If it looks like that is actually what you want to do, and you believe that ranking to 5/50 will allow you to more easily complete the event, *then* rank up.

My only caveat is that Karnak's utility is uniquely suited to an all-evadefest and not much else in my opinion. Unless next month's event is an all-armor all the time event, Karnak won't be as useful next time. The strongest power control champs recommended for Dave's are still useful today in other places. I still think you should rank up what will help you today over what might help you tomorrow, but still.

Also, if you are choosing between Karnak and Voodoo, that means your choice is due to T4B and not T4CC. So if you rank up Karnak this month, you can still save up to rank up Voodoo in a month or so. So you aren't making a permanent choice. It is just a question of today verses tomorrow.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    My advice for rank ups is always the same: rank up what you will use immediately in a significant way. Voodoo is the far better champion in my opinion, but that is irrelevant. If you don't have any better options for dealing with evade and you want to use Karnak as your Spider-slayer, then rank that up.

But if you are going to do that, I would recommend holding off and waiting for the event to arrive, and then using the 4/40 in the early going. If it looks like that is actually what you want to do, and you believe that ranking to 5/50 will allow you to more easily complete the event, *then* rank up.

My only caveat is that Karnak's utility is uniquely suited to an all-evadefest and not much else in my opinion. Unless next month's event is an all-armor all the time event, Karnak won't be as useful next time. The strongest power control champs recommended for Dave's are still useful today in other places. I still think you should rank up what will help you today over what might help you tomorrow, but still.

Also, if you are choosing between Karnak and Voodoo, that means your choice is due to T4B and not T4CC. So if you rank up Karnak this month, you can still save up to rank up Voodoo in a month or so. So you aren't making a permanent choice. It is just a question of today verses tomorrow.

Exactly! Skill and Cosmic are mostly trash and the few I have are barely worth 4/40 and won't be worth 5/50 (except Thor)

I've also found Karnak able to counter Mordo who can be quite troublesome. Plus if there is L1 unblockable I have no doubt that Voodoo would be slaughtered on sight… I am holding off for now however after the 3rd round if neither one can fully hold their own I doubt round 4 would be possible. I'm also waiting to see what nodes are used as of there aw heavy crit and cruelty buffs then the use of Ronan (whom I decimated 4.4 RttL Spiked armor) will also be another valuable asset. As it is roughy a total loss of just over 1 and a half class catalysts for a gem ranking up Karnak for this event does not appear to be the worst case scenario as I'll mostly still be able to use him for AW. His physical resist and blocks seem to be able to "on paper" conpare to the heaviest Armored and Block Prof champions available inside of him. The only champion I truly fear in this event is the classic Spider-Man as the other 4 (wow 5 Spider-Mans?!) are not nearly as imposing due to technical limitations like Gwen being Gwen or Stark being damage and rely on his AI and Miles/Sym both having more "limited" Evasion such as specials which I can stop or having a limited amount which can be played around
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    Definitely Voodoo. With enough saved up resources I think a 4/40 Karnak could clear the event.
    OneManArmy wrote: »
    Exactly! Skill and Cosmic are mostly trash and the few I have are barely worth 4/40 and won't be worth 5/50 (except Thor)

Did i read that right? Skill is one of the best classes! so many awesome champs! cosmic maybe not the best but lots of great champs there aswell

No GP, CWBP, BP, CB, Falcon, AV, or even Elektra and BW isn't Duped! Hawkeye is already r5 so… I could always r5 an unDuped WS or DDc who I swear only gets a good rap because of the collector… I spun 2k crystals for Groot last night so… my hopes for a decent Skill (or any class) in time for the event is dwindling even with 1200 shards a week from arenas and I can't find GP twice to take her up either as once would be enough to burn me out