**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

First R5?

I also have a generic AG.. just been waiting. I kind of feel like none of these champ are really worth the gem..

First R5? 37 votes

Havok duped
10%
Mqc19RoronoaZoro23TrevanRomanoPach 4 votes
Voodoo duped
0%
Sentinel duped
13%
ArcDeAngelusCryptic_CobraX_Factor_AgentUmbertoDelRioBabyMiike 5 votes
Magik duped
2%
DOKTOROKTOPUS 1 vote
Blade duped (no GR or sparky 5*)
13%
rojiblanco555Hit_me_TwiceBruinsfan8510LSDinCapn_Dante 5 votes
Corvus unawakened
48%
zuffySiddhantKwatraThatGuyYouSaw235MilesHolmwoodTaZ_4178Denzel116TehsigzorzFhfjghhggggjfhfjgLoctiteSuperGlueBeyond00_StevieManWonderEtjamaMother_FlerkenBroccoliYashiFrostyNickelErosenseiogMorbidAngleBettlejuice26 18 votes
Venom unawakened
0%
Hyperion unawakened
10%
BahamutRepto23Batman1903Too_qik 4 votes

Comments

• ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,144 ★★★★★
    Corvus unawakened
    Corvus or Hyperion
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Honestly, I think Magik, Blade, Corvus and Venom are all worthy of rank 5.

Hype is worth the generic gem if you're taking him to rank 5 and going to be using him a lot. Hyperion is one of the uncommon champs that is good both as an attacker and as a defender, so depending on your diversity situation in AW you're likely to always have some use for him.

Blade is Blade and Corvus is Corvus. Blade in particular is often worth ranking up if you find yourself using potions in content: he's a potion ATM.

Magik is another two-way champ good on attack and defense and is a very strong power control champ.

Venom is a non-mystic champ that is good against buffers, can heal by eating buffs, negates spider-verse evade, gets true strike and unblockable specials automatically when the defender gets low health (see: IMIW), and is an XL champ (i.e. Variant). He's actually fairly well-liked now, and I *still* think he's a bit undervalued on top of that.
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    Corvus unawakened
    DNA3000 said:

Hype is worth the generic gem if you're taking him to rank 5 and going to be using him a lot. Hyperion is one of the uncommon champs that is good both as an attacker and as a defender, so depending on your diversity situation in AW you're likely to always have some use for him.

Blade is Blade and Corvus is Corvus. Blade in particular is often worth ranking up if you find yourself using potions in content: he's a potion ATM.

Magik is another two-way champ good on attack and defense and is a very strong power control champ.

Venom is a non-mystic champ that is good against buffers, can heal by eating buffs, negates spider-verse evade, gets true strike and unblockable specials automatically when the defender gets low health (see: IMIW), and is an XL champ (i.e. Variant). He's actually fairly well-liked now, and I *still* think he's a bit undervalued on top of that.

Is venom that good? I have a cosmic awakening gem and am looking to get another rank 5. Mind you I explored variant 2 already but still need to explore variant 1 chapter 3.

DNA3000 said:

Is venom that good? I have a cosmic awakening gem and am looking to get another rank 5. Mind you I explored variant 2 already but still need to explore variant 1 chapter 3.
    Do I think Venom is a top tier champ? Probably not. But do I think he's worth rank 5? Definitely, because his utility is interesting. Is he worth an awakening gem? I don't think he's the top cosmic priority, and he's pretty darned good unawakened. That one is a toss up, although I would probably sit on a cosmic if I had one, and use it on Venom if I had two. My one and only cosmic went into Hyperion.
  • Cryptic_CobraCryptic_Cobra Posts: 532 ★★★
    Sentinel duped
    There is a very important reason i a choosing sentinel over the others, and that is variant. Sentinel will carry you through v3, is a amazing XL champ for v2, and performs decent in v1.2 (the part where tech is allowed)

The most try hard champ you can pick to advance the farthest in the game as fast as possible is without question sentinel. With him and him alone you can breeze through 95% of v3, itemless. As for the last 5% it’s utility fights such as using doc oct for spite path, using red skull for last chapter havok, etc. what this means if by ranking sentinel you are effectively getting 2 r5 champs, for the price of 1.

Once you are done with variant 3, you can use sentinel all throughout v2. While sentinel is not going to be as effective here as v3, he is still one of the best XL champs and will carry you without a doubt. So with that in mind, you are getting another r5 champ, making this 3 r5 for the price of 1.

Oh, but don’t forget v1, where he can Cary you through 1/3 of that content

So to conclude, by rank 5ing sentinel now you are r5ing the key to 2 1/3 more r5 champs. And once you have cashed in on all these rank ups, you are still left with a r5 sentinel. It is very useful to have a double immune r5, he is a decent defender due to time outs at r5, once you have played him long enough you start to like his play style, and you will still use him for general questing.

He is far from the best champion you have at your disposal, but what he can do is provide the key to complete content to r5 those other top tier champs. Sentinel is the smart play, other champs are the short term play.
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    Corvus unawakened
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Do I think Venom is a top tier champ? Probably not. But do I think he's worth rank 5? Definitely, because his utility is interesting. Is he worth an awakening gem? I don't think he's the top cosmic priority, and he's pretty darned good unawakened. That one is a toss up, although I would probably sit on a cosmic if I had one, and use it on Venom if I had two. My one and only cosmic went into Hyperion.
    Hes my best cosmic right now besides angela. I do have a cosmic gem and a generic I have been sitting on for the past 6 months so would you say hes worth it for future content and map 6?
  • Cryptic_CobraCryptic_Cobra Posts: 532 ★★★
    Sentinel duped
    As for why you can’t do all these variants with him at r4? You totally can, but it will be a little harder to run it itemless if you choose this method. You are far better off making the variants as easy as possible to complete if you have the ability to do so.

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Hes my best cosmic right now besides angela. I do have a cosmic gem and a generic I have been sitting on for the past 6 months so would you say hes worth it for future content and map 6?
    I'm not a map 6 expert, but my limited exposure says he's pretty good. In terms of future content I think we're seeing higher difficulty content tend to focus on a number of different avenues, and fights where we encounter a lot of buffs is one of those. Whether it is champions that use a lot of buffs (like that crazy adaptoid), or champions whose buffs are especially nasty (like Medusa or The Champion), or node effects that stack up a lot of buffs (like the Aggression nodes), it seems to me to become increasingly important to have ways to deal with those. Most of them are mystic champs, and I think having other options, particular options that have other benefits, will be valuable into the future.

For the record, I think that in general we're seeing threats come (not exclusively, but largely) from buffs and the need to eliminate them, special damage and immunities to that damage, power control, and regeneration control. I think moving forward you want to have as many options as possible that can handle those three kinds of threats, especially if some of your options might get gated or penalized.

I've only had Venom at rank 5 for a short time, although I've been using him for a while at rank 4. The thing I first noticed about him is that he has buff control and healing. That's an unusual combination, and sometimes a very strong one.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    Corvus unawakened
    I Voted Corvus, but I'd recommended seriously considering Venom. Corvus is great and will serve you well as an r5, but Venom has a lot more utility. Aside from the stuff DNA listed, he's also one of the best Havok counters in the game since he can easily get a permanent armor buff. I never regretted taking my venom up to r5