**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

IMPOSSIBLE to beat matchup!

AsadWazir12AsadWazir12 Posts: 35
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
So I recently faced a hidden AEGIS node in AW and practically ran into the 1 fight which was IMPOSSIBLE to beat. To my misfortune there was Ebony Maw and I had unluckily went in with Corvus Glaive. R.I.P.

This interaction made me think how broken this matchup still is, and specially if you add AEGIS this fight is impossible. This got me thinking, is there ANY other matchup in the game between 2 champions which is this much broken??

Should it be this way??!

Comments

• RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★
    It’s not broken. Don’t go into a fight where you know a champ is going to be countered. There’s multiple counters for any of those aegis nodes. Typically the same champs are placed on those nodes
  • AsadWazir12AsadWazir12 Posts: 35
    You are missing the point. It's not that I don't know counters to AEGIS node. This is about interaction between 2 champions which make it impossible no matter what you so to beat this. The question im putting forward is, should it be like this?? Is this not broken??

Huh? Who did you fight? Or is it just the Aegis node itself you think is impossible?

Yea sorry, I have edited the post, it was Ebony Maw basically.
    Aryl said:

How are people not getting the OP's point?

Hidden aegis. Brought Corvus. Faced Maw. Cannot take off the aegis charges. Literally an impossible fight.

I think people get the point but it was poor champ selection to bring someone that is fully countered to a hidden node fight when you know champs like that are usually hiding. Maybe it’s his first time on that path in which case it’s a tough lesson to learn from the school of hard knocks. But typically you want to never bring Corvus or Ghost to a path of hidden champs.
  • dano357dano357 Posts: 106
    So I'm assuming you're talking about Ebony Maw, who is a hard counter for Corvus because guaranteed crits miss. He's placed on the hidden nodes specifically for that reason. Unfortunately you played right into their hands.

BTW if you had brought in Elektra, you would have run into the same issue.
    Aryl said:

Forum needs to chill out tonight.

Lots of angst.

Innocent post. People go into attack mode. Smh.

Not really. AW is about strategy and knowing who to bring. Yeah that one fight might be impossible but OP can just chalk it up to experience and learn that for next time. Instead he decided to post about how unfair this one interaction is. I don’t think anyone is attacking him. People are just telling him simply there are just certain champs you don’t bring to those paths.
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    ^^^fair enough
    edited October 2019

Wow. Why is everyone so riled up by this?

- Yes I know how AEGIS works.
    - Yes I have this lane since past few seasons now atleast.
    - Yes I'm hindsight I took a risk bringing in Corvus where I had other better options available.
    - No this post is not about my judgement, or knowledge of the champs or nodes or the game

This post is about 1 thing which is clearly stated In the title. IMPOSSIBLE MATCHUP!

Should it be like this?? Is this not broken?? As fas as I feel, there shouldnt be any matchup in the game where no matter how small a chance, high penalty or High skill needed to overcome it, it should be doable.

You’re the one riled up. I picture you standing on the chair shouting at your phone with all the capitalized words and punctuation marks you’re using. Nobody that has commented is riled up. Just telling you not to use Corvus or Elektra on hidden nodes. It’s a piece of advice you can take or leave. Oh and unless you’re really good with Ghost and can consistently parry stun Maw and get fury, I would stay away from using her on hidden nodes too.
  • JakearoundJakearound Posts: 407 ★★★
    Wasp does great against that node. Her passive stun on her combo makes landing heavies against Maw, Rogue, and Mordo a piece of cake.

Wasp does great against that node. Her passive stun on her combo makes landing heavies against Maw, Rogue, and Mordo a piece of cake.

Wouldn’t Wasp fail on her heavy since they’re guaranteed crits? I don’t know about that interaction 100% just curious.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

So I recently faced a hidden AEGIS node in AW and practically ran into the 1 fight which was IMPOSSIBLE to beat. To my misfortune there was Ebony Maw and I had unluckily went in with Corvus Glaive. R.I.P.

This interaction made me think how broken this matchup still is, and specially if you add AEGIS this fight is impossible. This got me thinking, is there ANY other matchup in the game between 2 champions which is this much broken??

Should it be this way??!

Good question. I myself argued against hidden nodes altogether during the last AW go-around for the reason that it eliminated counterplay (meaning: attackers can't try to bring the right attacker if they can't see the defender, which means they are forced into bringing the best attacker overall, which reduces attacker diversity choices).

But there is a reasonable counter-argument, and it basically goes like this: what's the point to placing defenders at all? If you're trying to make war "fair" why not force both sides to attack the same defensive placement? And the answer is, you don't want wars to be "fair" in that way: you want to reward the side that places "better" with stronger or more intelligent placement.

So why isn't it fair for the defense to get at least some nodes where they can try to strategically create "unfair mismatches?" If attackers get to choose the right attacker for the right defender to create the most unfair mismatches possible for the majority of nodes, why isn't it fair to the defense to have the same opportunity to create unfair mismatches on a few nodes themselves?

I think this one ultimately comes down to personal preference more than anything else.
  • PachPach Posts: 131
    edited October 2019
    It’s broken because you made a mistake and you feel victim to it
    Now what do you want to happen
    For kabam to compensate you and nerf maw
    ROL wolverine is an impossible match up for many champs but guess what he is completely doable
    Aryl said:

RoninMan said:

- Yes I'm hindsight I took a risk bringing in Corvus where I had other better options available.
    - No this post is not about my judgement, or knowledge of the champs or nodes or the game

This post is about 1 thing which is clearly stated In the title. IMPOSSIBLE MATCHUP!

Should it be like this?? Is this not broken?? As fas as I feel, there shouldnt be any matchup in the game where no matter how small a chance, high penalty or High skill needed to overcome it, it should be doable.

You’re the one riled up. I picture you standing on the chair shouting at your phone with all the capitalized words and punctuation marks you’re using. Nobody that has commented is riled up. Just telling you not to use Corvus or Elektra on hidden nodes. It’s a piece of advice you can take or leave. Oh and unless you’re really good with Ghost and can consistently parry stun Maw and get fury, I would stay away from using her on hidden nodes too.
    I think people are looking at the wrong things and putting em-PHAS-sis on the wrong syl-LAB-le.

OP gets it. He had a derp moment in war, but it got him thinking... should match-ups like this exist in the game? Aka, impossible fights.
    Yes it should exist. It’s a strategic placement that counters 2 champs (3 if you want to include Ghost but I’ve seen her deal with him) out of 140ish. Now if it was impossible for 137/140 champs it might warrant changing. But no, making it impossible for 2 champs is not game breaking.

Aryl said:

RoninMan said:

I think people are looking at the wrong things and putting em-PHAS-sis on the wrong syl-LAB-le.

OP gets it. He had a derp moment in war, but it got him thinking... should match-ups like this exist in the game? Aka, impossible fights.
    Exactly!
    I have you just don’t want to accept you made a mistake. I’ve told you multiple times not to bring certain champs to that node/path. If you want to ignore and disregard my posts, that’s your choice but saying my posts aren’t meaningful is dismissive and untrue.
    edited October 2019
    RoninMan said:

Aryl said:

RoninMan said:

Yes it should exist. It’s a strategic placement that counters 2 champs (3 if you want to include Ghost but I’ve seen her deal with him) out of 140ish. Now if it was impossible for 137/140 champs it might warrant changing. But no, making it impossible for 2 champs is not game breaking.
    By that logic, how do you explain the recent changes made by kabam where Max Sig Namor was 1 shotting AQ Thanos with that node on him which reflects any damage done? That was just 1 champ which had this ability, and only 1 node interaction which 'broke' the fight. Isn't this the same thing in that essence. A broken fight with this node?
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    ^^^ No

AQ is fundamentally different than AW.
    Aryl said:

^^^ No

AQ is fundamentally different than AW.

I'm talking about any fight in the game. Wether be AQ or AW. Point im trying to make is, this fight is broken.
    edited October 2019
    Prathap said:

Perfect example of discussion going sideways :)

This was in essence a sympathetic post. OP wanted people to agree with him this fight should never exist and I don’t think he’s garnering the response he wants.

After the fight happened he should’ve just realized he made a bad attacker choice against a hidden node, made a mental note in the future and moved on.

But I will do the OP the privilege of making this my last post on his thread. I guess at this point I’m just antagonizing and saying the same thing for the fourth time isn’t constructive.

I’m truly, sincerely sorry that matchup had to happen to you OP. It really does suck when stuff like that happens but it helps you learn and grow. It’ll help you think about matchups in the future and hopefully reduce the chances of this happening again.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★

- Yes In hindsight I took a risk bringing in Corvus where I had other better options available.

Should it be like this?? Is this not broken?? As far as I feel, there shouldnt be any matchup in the game where no matter how small a chance, high penalty or High skill needed to overcome it, it should be doable.

It's not broken. If there weren't ANY counters, it'd be broken.