**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5* Groot.

Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
Not going to lie, pulling a champ like Groot from a 5* crystal that you've spent weeks saving up for is quite disappointing. Only my 4th 5* in my 8 months of playing and really am not seeing the "future of the game" with these champs. They take so long to earn, but don't seem to have any use when I can can get more useful 4* champs (despite lower PI).

I know this is just a rant thread and don't expect anything in the game to change. That being said, any way to salvage a pull like this (synergies, usefulness in specific quests, war defense nodes, etc), or is this just one more champ to sit on the shelf while I earn more shards for the next?
Post edited by Kabam Vydious on

Comments

• winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★
    edited August 2017
    You're in a much better position on number of 5* champs and I think 4* too having played four months less than me.

Without T4CC, 5* (even with the few strong champs) are really not that useful. The max PI is below 3k at rank 2 (which required five T1A).

My first 5* was Iron-Man. I took him to rank 2 during the time period when rank down tickets was made available. Less than a week, I unrank him back to level 1. Now, I am thinking those resources could be plowed back too for 4* or even 3* or 2* champs.

You could be earning T4CC on regular basis (I can't tell). If so, then Groot is for Arenas.

To do that with what I have including the new gambit I need at least 20 t4 basic catalyst. Or better champs that I'd have to level from 0.

Getting frustrated.

This is a game for the long haul. Joining an active alliance or a higher tier will help to get T4BC faster. I used to have to wait for 6 months to get 1, not any more, but it's still not like getting one every other week.

• Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, I have over 40 champs with PI over 2500 each. Grinding arenas is not hard at all (grinded for the 4* Iron man and all milestones in the 3* arena).

That isn't the problem. What sucks is when you grind for hours, week after week, to get the shards for a rare crystal, you expect to get something that will actually be worth the time and effort. I'm not expecting to get boss-killers with every 5* crystal, but it's not unreasonable to expect a prize that actually can be effective and help with game content.

If their only use is more arena fodder, then why are they even in the game?
  • RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★
    While I agree not every champion should be god tier or "can be used in any content" tier; as well as that in any related game to Mcoc, there will always be that 1 character who is not as useful...
    I want to believe that there should never be a point where a champion is so heavily undervalued that getting them would invoke anger, frustration, disappointment, and/or regret.

There are a lot of champions in the middle, but no one's gong to downright hate it when they get a Drax or a Rogue for instance. Because even though they aren't the best at what they do, people can AT LEAST find a good use for them, be it for questing, AQ or AW offense.

But when you have a champion where the only probable use for them is AW defense, that's a problem. More specifically, those tanky champs like HB and Groot. High health, armour and resistance is not very useful in the face of harder content because you are going to get whacked dead in 1 or 2 combos regardless of those stats.

Players would much rather have champions who can excel in dealing lots of damage either directly or indirectly (through abilities) to end the tough fight quicker. This is why champions like SL, Gwenpool, SW, and Thor are so highly favoured: They can deal a lot of damage.

Don't even get me started on the explicitly specific champions who are so generic that they just don't excel in anything in particular, looking at you Spider Gwen.
  • Alfa_PigeonAlfa_Pigeon Posts: 273 ★★
    I just pulled him too as my 4th 5* this past week...not the opening most would want after saving so long for the shards.
    Rotmgmoddy wrote: »
    There are a lot of champions in the middle, but no one's gong to downright hate it when they get a Drax or a Rogue for instance. Because even though they aren't the best at what they do, people can AT LEAST find a good use for them, be it for questing, AQ or AW offense.

But when you have a champion where the only probable use for them is AW defense, that's a problem. More specifically, those tanky champs like HB and Groot. High health, armour and resistance is not very useful in the face of harder content because you are going to get whacked dead in 1 or 2 combos regardless of those stats.

This is what I expect the baseline for a 5* champ should be. Middle of the road AT A MINIMUM. Useful, decent synergies, have a couple of spots in Act 5 or RTTL where they could shine.

Rotmgmoddy wrote: »
    Players would much rather have champions who can excel in dealing lots of damage either directly or indirectly (through abilities) to end the tough fight quicker. This is why champions like SL, Gwenpool, SW, and Thor are so highly favoured: They can deal a lot of damage.

Agreed. We all prefer the high-end champs. Those are the ones that drive our desire to get more 5* champs.

If this was a racing game, you start with Hondas and Toyotas. Upgrade them while you try to unlock Audi and BMW. Build those up to ultimately unlock a Mclaren. Once you have your Audi, you don't work through the harder content to unlock another Toyota with some upgrades...
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    I just pulled him too as my 4th 5* this past week...not the opening most would want after saving so long for the shards.

If you saved that long why wouldn't you save until October or November when the champs are much better?
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    The thing with 5 stars, due to lack of resources to rank them up, is that almost all are just arena fodder. X-23 and ultron are the only champs worth a rank 5 unduped, and probably only starlord and magik are also worth it duped. Does it really matter if you get groot or IP or storm or drax? Maybe Mordo is nice for defense but you can't rank 4 him unduped either. I may be forgetting 1 or 2 champs but the point is the same.
    edited August 2017
    I think in the end of the day, Kabam really messed up a good opportunity with champs and levels. They really should have kept limited rosters for each star class instead of almost every champ at every level. Assign champs to tiers based on their "practical" levels in the comic books.

Set it up so there are only about 30 champs at 1 and 2*. Least powerful champs (Toyotas, Subarus, & Honda). I'd put most of the Skill class here.

Have a completely different 20 or so champs with significantly better stats for your 3* rosters. (Camaro, Mustang, M3, etc). Champs like the Mutant and Tech class.

Then a 3rd tier of champs for 4* (Porsche, GT-R, Mercedes AMG, etc). Thor, Hulk, Captain, Wolvie (the strong champs that everyone knows and loves...most of the game content would be here)

5* and 6* champs would then be the likes of the elite champs (Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc). Phoenix, Dorm,

Each level being able to have significantly more upgrade-ability (using ISO to specifically boost individual attributes like attack, crit rate, armor, etc).

This would also solve the Hawkeye vs Hulk "balance" issue that Kabam loves to throw around.

The point is that unlocking a higher tier champ then opens up more game content.
  • TrendlyFynnTrendlyFynn Posts: 35
    i got my first 5 star today n i got an antman...

what do i use him for... ?
  • RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★
    Dexman1349 wrote: »
    Not going to lie, pulling a champ like Groot from a 5* crystal that you've spent weeks saving up for is quite disappointing. Only my 4th 5* in my 8 months of playing and really am not seeing the "future of the game" with these champs. They take so long to earn, but don't seem to have any use when I can can get more useful 4* champs (despite lower PI).

I know this is just a rant thread and don't expect anything in the game to change. That being said, any way to salvage a pull like this (synergies, usefulness in specific quests, war defense nodes, etc), or is this just one more champ to sit on the shelf while I earn more shards for the next?

I feel your pain.my first 5* was Groot as well. I consider him next to useless. My 2nd pull last week was OML which I felt was a little bit better. But not much. I'd rather IP or sg anyway. I'm hoping.my next will be skylord or vision or Ultron. Or iceman.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    My last pull was LC. We make do with what we have. They can't all be Voodoo and Hyperion. That would defeat the whole purpose of a random roll.
    i got my first 5 star today n i got an antman...

what do i use him for... ?

Arena, like all other 5 stars
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    Incidentally, Groot is not all bad.

Really... like really groot... What benefit does he bring to a player?
    Timone147 wrote: »

bleed immune, regen, stun immune pretty much (he's my least favorite champ in the game, i hate groot)
    edited August 2017
    danielmath wrote: »

bleed immune, regen, stun immune pretty much (he's my least favorite champ in the game, i hate groot)

Fair points but seriously so many better options for all of these abilities. He is last in line for most of these. Defending groot as a serviceable champ is just wrong.

Btw remove stun immune because he is still 100% stunnable with typical mastery set ups.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★

Personal view. I don't mind Groot. He's pretty good defensively, Cruelty comes in handy. Does good Damage with I Am Groot. L3 has decent Bleed and Damage. The Crystals drops what it drops. All we can do is make best use of what falls. Otherwise it's a game with the same Champs floating around and that's not amusing at all. We all get rolls we don't like. I just keep moving. It's not personal. It's RNG. Lol.
    danielmath wrote: »

Fair points but seriously so many better options for all of these abilities. He is last in line for most of these. Defending groot as a serviceable champ is just wrong.

Btw remove stun immune because he is still 100% stunnable with typical mastery set ups.

Like i said, he's my least favorite and he sucks, i just listed the benefits. He shrugs stuns off much faster, like rogue so you gotta list it otherwise the list is just too short haha
    edited August 2017
    Groot is a pretty decent champ for AW defense until Magik came along.

There is a saying that goes something like, In the valley of the blind, the one eye is King; so Groot has its place depending on whereabouts the Summoner is at.

So, if a Summoner had reached a level where Groot is mediocre, it does not mean Groot is bad for others.

Lol fair points fellas
  • Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    First 3 i pulled were Iron Fist. Ronan and Spiderman symbiote. Took symbiote to rank 3. Other 2 at rank 2. I pulled a Jane foster today. It happens...
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    I pulled a 4* and 5* Groot this week.

Won't waste a single resource on either, or the KK 4* from earlier in the week and I am far from an endgame player.

• beaupoembeaupoem Posts: 443
    my 1st and only 5*: colossus. please.