**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Scheduled Maintenance During Prime Hours

WedgemonsterWedgemonster Posts: 323 ★★★
I’ve always been confused as to why this is the case and just thought I would open the discussion.. Considering the majority of the player base is in North America, why is maintenance always during prime playing time? When everyone is home for the night with the most availability. Maintenance could be anytime, why not make it in the morning or during the day when most people are at work? This would be a much welcomed change, to me at least.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    It can't really be anytime. They have partners which they work with in terms of servers.
  • KentKent Posts: 65
    And still that maintenance
  • HCMmcocHCMmcoc Posts: 55
    Yes but they can ask and try to get better times. At my workplace most maintenance is around midnight or weekend nights.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★

I don't understand what they even do to begin with. There is never any noticeable change. I have never seen any bugs fixed, nor any improvement to the game whatsoever.

While some issues may be able to be fixed server-side, Scheduled Maitnenance is usually just upkeep for the server.
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    It takes too long. Lot of playing time for AQ has gone. We will be late for the boss.
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    2 hours already? How can it take so much time for scheduled maintenance?
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

I’ve always been confused as to why this is the case and just thought I would open the discussion.. Considering the majority of the player base is in North America, why is maintenance always during prime playing time? When everyone is home for the night with the most availability. Maintenance could be anytime, why not make it in the morning or during the day when most people are at work? This would be a much welcomed change, to me at least.

I am in NA and it is after I have gone to bed.

It is the end of prime time if you are on the west coast, but they need to be able to do it when their people are there to ensure no issue. The bigger question is why they dont use some sort of front end load balance so this is not necessary. If I want to do maintenance on my systems they dont need to go offline, I stage the changes then flip the system to use it after testing.
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★

And how did you come to the conclusion that the majority of the player base is in North America?
    Personal experience having played the game for 4 years. Granted that’s an assumption, I could be wrong, but if I had to place a bet.. Also Kabam is North America based and operates on and references PST for everything else.
    If they could show some stats that would be helpfull, cause personal experience isn’t worth that much in that regard. My personal experience for instance is that majority of players I’ve met are in Europe, spread across several different countries. There are also many players from, or residing in Asia, they’re usually kinda screwed with AQ, since they’re asleep when that ends.

• REiiGN15REiiGN15 Posts: 120
    I believe if a day of AQ goes through maintenance then if you don't get to the boss you shouldn't lose prestige.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,403 ★★★

I don't understand what they even do to begin with. There is never any noticeable change. I have never seen any bugs fixed, nor any improvement to the game whatsoever.

"Maintenance" is a catch-all phrase that covers bringing all the servers worldwide down to do all sorts of housekeeping, including migrating to servers with more dedicated storage in Singapore or releasing firmwide updates that aren't client-side (the app on your phone). You won't notice anything because nothing on your phone was updated.
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,332 ★★★★★
    This is the crazy expectations of players. Never let the game go down, also no bugs, perfect balance testing, etc.
  • RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★
    Lormif said:

I am in NA and it is after I have gone to bed.

It is the end of prime time if you are on the west coast, but they need to be able to do it when their people are there to ensure no issue. The bigger question is why they dont use some sort of front end load balance so this is not necessary. If I want to do maintenance on my systems they dont need to go offline, I stage the changes then flip the system to use it after testing.
    I disagree. It might be the end of prime time if you’re CST or EST but there are quite a few people I know that play around the time maintenance happens. By the time you get home from work, have dinner, do chores/take care of kids, and finally have some time to actually focus on the game, it’s usually around 8:00. It’s possible we’re outliers but that’s been my personal experience living in PST and having buddies that do too.

That being said, I don’t have any serious issues with maintenance happening then. Usually I’ll just try and hop on earlier to use all my energy if I can before it hits. For some reason I don’t remember getting a message about yesterday’s maintenance but I must’ve just read it and disregarded it quickly.
  • KyrkantKyrkant Posts: 92

As long as I'm in Europe, that time is perfect for me ... :#
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    edited October 2019

It can't really be anytime. They have partners which they work with in terms of servers.

Who are these "partners" and why would both Kabam and these partners mutually agree to schedule maintenance at such an odd time?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Who are these "partners" and why would both Kabam and these partners mutually agree to schedule maintenance at such an odd time?
    Actually, Tuesday nights are one of the most common scheduled maintenance times for online games, and for that matter for a lot of other things as well. There's a lot of reasons for this that have to do with how IT operations work, but there's a reason there's a patch Tuesday, and no patch Friday.

When I schedule downtime, 80% of the time it is Tuesday night.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Reason being people tend to be busy eating Tacos so they’re less likely to be playing?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Reason being people tend to be busy eating Tacos so they’re less likely to be playing?

I would think that given the time of maintenance, people would be less likely to be eating tacos, and more likely to be with a lot of free time while in the seated position.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Actually, Tuesday nights are one of the most common scheduled maintenance times for online games, and for that matter for a lot of other things as well. There's a lot of reasons for this that have to do with how IT operations work, but there's a reason there's a patch Tuesday, and no patch Friday.

When I schedule downtime, 80% of the time it is Tuesday night.
    never patch on Friday, because is something breaks you are working the weekend.
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I would think that given the time of maintenance, people would be less likely to be eating tacos, and more likely to be with a lot of free time while in the seated position.
    Is the seated position similar to the missionary position but a little more upright?
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★

I don't think anyone is questioning the day of the week. Tuesday is fine. It's the time of day. Even if they have partners to work with, it seems like it would make more sense on both ends to do the maintenance during the work day. Not when many people are settling down for the night wanting to play.

It would be interesting to see the percentage breakdown of players by continent, or country even.

It's been on Tuesday at the same time for 5 years almost. We don't need that level of data. It's really a non-issue and more of not having enough to complain about.
This discussion has been closed.