**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Scheduled Maintenance During Prime Hours

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★

It can't really be anytime. They have partners which they work with in terms of servers.

Who are these "partners" and why would both Kabam and these partners mutually agree to schedule maintenance at such an odd time?
    Well as an example, Google is one of the partners they work with for servers.
  • Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★

This age old question! I haven't seen it come up in a while, but I'm happy to lend some insights here.

This is a game with players all around the world, which means that no matter what time we do Maintenance, it will affect somebody's "prime playing time".

We try to make sure we give as much notice as we can for players to plan ahead, but we know that even then, somebody's going to be affected by the timing. There is no perfect time to do a Maintenance, but if there was, we would choose that period.

Miike—this doesn’t answer any question. If the issue is employee time at work, fine, say that. Although I don’t understand why maintenance couldn’t be hours earlier if that’s the issue. Whether it’s the “perfect time” for maintenance (it’s clearly not for US based players but it might be for Europe who is asleep during it), isn’t the issue.

The question is “why was this 8 pm pacific time the time decided for maintenance very time? It seems arbitrary without some explanation. Simply saying that there isn’t a perfect time doesn’t tell us why you settled on 8 pm pacific.

It can't really be anytime. They have partners which they work with in terms of servers.

Why do you make comments about things like you are a mod? It’s against the TOS to impersonate a mod. Additionally, we don’t need your speculation—it adds nothing to the discussion. We would prefer to hear from the people that actually know the answer. Thanks.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,861 ★★★★★
    Run477 said:

This age old question! I haven't seen it come up in a while, but I'm happy to lend some insights here.

This is a game with players all around the world, which means that no matter what time we do Maintenance, it will affect somebody's "prime playing time".

We try to make sure we give as much notice as we can for players to plan ahead, but we know that even then, somebody's going to be affected by the timing. There is no perfect time to do a Maintenance, but if there was, we would choose that period.

Miike—this doesn’t answer any question. If the issue is employee time at work, fine, say that. Although I don’t understand why maintenance couldn’t be hours earlier if that’s the issue. Whether it’s the “perfect time” for maintenance (it’s clearly not for US based players but it might be for Europe who is asleep during it), isn’t the issue.

The question is “why was this 8 pm pacific time the time decided for maintenance very time? It seems arbitrary without some explanation. Simply saying that there isn’t a perfect time doesn’t tell us why you settled on 8 pm pacific.
    Because its the time they decided to do as it works best for their schedule. It really doesnt need to make sense to you. It's been the same day of the week at the same time for almost 5 years. Work around it or you could move to a non prime time area.
    Run477 said:

Why do you make comments about things like you are a mod? It’s against the TOS to impersonate a mod. Additionally, we don’t need your speculation—it adds nothing to the discussion. We would prefer to hear from the people that actually know the answer. Thanks.
    How many years are you going to keep making that same statement? That's not what impersonating is. I know what I'm talking about. Not the first time it's come up.
    It's the scheduled time that the servers they partner with have given.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    edited October 2019
    Run477 said:

lol impersonating a mod is creating a username with kabam in it, coloring your posts in orange or otherwise telling people you are a mod. "answering questions like you are a mod" is not a thing. You may not like his answers but your post was pretty silly.
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    Wozzy101 said:

I think it would probably be better for scheduled maintenance to happen on days when there’s no AQ to interrupt. Being in England the maintenance time didn’t really impact on me or my Alliance, but just feels more sensible to have scheduled maintained occur at a time where there is the least one the line for the player base. I’m guessing there’s a logistical reason for why it happens when it does as I doubt Kabam would knowingly schedule maintenance during AQ if they had the option to run it on Monday before the new week of AQ started.

AQ is on a changing schedule since it runs 5 days and off 3 days. So be impossible to not affect AQ or war
    edited October 2019
    There isn't a major game out there that does it that way. PUBG is a huge NA game and their 4-6hour maintenance is right in the middle of "prime-time". Plus it has to work with their external server hosts when they maintain their internal severs. Its a business thing that works for them.

I don't think anyone is questioning the day of the week. Tuesday is fine. It's the time of day. Even if they have partners to work with, it seems like it would make more sense on both ends to do the maintenance during the work day. Not when many people are settling down for the night wanting to play.

It would be interesting to see the percentage breakdown of players by continent, or country even.

It's been on Tuesday at the same time for 5 years almost. We don't need that level of data. It's really a non-issue and more of not having enough to complain about.
    Ha. Oh there's plenty to complain about... But I wasn't really complaining in this instance, more curious as to why because it has never seemed logical to me. I'm well aware it has always been at the same time. I've never seen it discussed. I'm also aware that people all over the world in many different time zones play this game. The point is, you would think that maintenance would be scheduled at a time where the region that comprises your largest percentage of players is least active, not the most. If I am mistaken about that being North America, then it makes sense. But I would have to think that is the case.
  • Ghostspider231Ghostspider231 Posts: 297 ★★★
    Maybe rotate the dates and times.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Run477 said:

It should tell you that there's no obviously better time, so there's no obvious reason to change it.

The 8pm pacific start time is 9pm mountain, 10pm central, and 11pm eastern. Moving it earlier might theoretically make it better for some pacific time zone players, at the expense of making it worse for timezones further east. Many people in the past have argued that 6pm-11pm is "prime time" for players. Even if you accept that to be true, and even if you don't care about any players outside of the contiguous United States, to avoid this block of time you'd have to make maintenance start earlier than 4pm pacific or later than 11pm pacific. That time window is impractical for many reasons. And this presumes that every maintenance window is going to be two hours long. Some maintenance windows have lasted for an extended period of time, and the scheduled start time would need to be advanced to 2pm or earlier to avoid the same window.

When I have any choice at all, all of my scheduled maintenance windows have initiated between 5pm and 9pm local time, between Tuesday and Thursday. The only time they aren't in that window is when there's a mandatory situational requirement for the downtime to occur at some other time. The reasons why are so overwhelming that I consider scheduled downtime outside that window to be extraordinary and require justification, rather than the reverse. In fact, I assume categorically that any IT team that regularly schedules maintenance windows outside that range is probably just not good at it, or lacks operational experience.

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

It should tell you that there's no obviously better time, so there's no obvious reason to change it.

The 8pm pacific start time is 9pm mountain, 10pm central, and 11pm eastern. Moving it earlier might theoretically make it better for some pacific time zone players, at the expense of making it worse for timezones further east. Many people in the past have argued that 6pm-11pm is "prime time" for players. Even if you accept that to be true, and even if you don't care about any players outside of the contiguous United States, to avoid this block of time you'd have to make maintenance start earlier than 4pm pacific or later than 11pm pacific. That time window is impractical for many reasons. And this presumes that every maintenance window is going to be two hours long. Some maintenance windows have lasted for an extended period of time, and the scheduled start time would need to be advanced to 2pm or earlier to avoid the same window.

When I have any choice at all, all of my scheduled maintenance windows have initiated between 5pm and 9pm local time, between Tuesday and Thursday. The only time they aren't in that window is when there's a mandatory situational requirement for the downtime to occur at some other time. The reasons why are so overwhelming that I consider scheduled downtime outside that window to be extraordinary and require justification, rather than the reverse. In fact, I assume categorically that any IT team that regularly schedules maintenance windows outside that range is probably just not good at it, or lacks operational experience.
    Why would earlier than 4pm PST be impractical?
    It might not be... for you in your mind. The time that they have it at works perfectly for them to do what they need to do. This is starting to turn into ome of those "why" talks-

Why is the sky blue? Because of (Insert scientific reason to long for me to list right now).
    Oh okay. But why is it that color blue
    Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    Best for who? That's the question. The game takes place all over the world, so there's literally no way to make it optimal for everyone. No matter when it is, someone is inconvenienced.

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

It might not be... for you in your mind. The time that they have it at works perfectly for them to do what they need to do. This is starting to turn into ome of those "why" talks-

Why is the sky blue? Because of (Insert scientific reason to long for me to list right now).
    Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    What are you even talking about dude? It was an honest question because I’m not understanding the reasoning, and a relevant one. You have a lot snide comments on a lot threads that contribute nothing other than to get your rocks off apparently. And “because it works for them” is a pretty encompassing excuse. That could be said for anything. Doesn’t mean it’s best.
    You have no less than 6 people explain why and all you keep saying is "why can't they do it at this time or that time". Miike has even commented on it but you keep going and going with it.

Bottomline is that maintenance is at the time they select for the reason they need it to be at that time. Its been 5 years and it hasnt changed, its not likely to change as its working just fine. Its a 2 hour maintenance period except for once or twice. It doesnt hinder any progress and its announced a week early.

Just drop it already.

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    What are you even talking about dude? It was an honest question because I’m not understanding the reasoning, and a relevant one. You have a lot snide comments on a lot threads that contribute nothing other than to get your rocks off apparently. And “because it works for them” is a pretty encompassing excuse. That could be said for anything. Doesn’t mean it’s best.
    Don’t sweat it. The logical players in this game have long been replaced with trolls that don’t have any interest in improving anything.

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    You have no less than 6 people explain why and all you keep saying is "why can't they do it at this time or that time". Miike has even commented on it but you keep going and going with it.

Bottomline is that maintenance is at the time they select for the reason they need it to be at that time. Its been 5 years and it hasnt changed, its not likely to change as its working just fine. Its a 2 hour maintenance period except for once or twice. It doesnt hinder any progress and its announced a week early.

Just drop it already.
    Spoken like a solid map 3 player.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Because then you'd be scheduling maintenance downtime during the normal work day for the regular 8am-5pm developers. Although the developers do not directly work on the live game systems, the maintenance done during the maintenance windows probably affects both player-facing systems and developer-facing systems, which would mean you'd be shortening or disrupting the work day for the developers.

And you generally don't want developers of anything in the office when you're performing maintenance. Not game developers, not enterprise app developers, not web developers, no one that calls themselves a developer, unless they are there to test things after maintenance. And if they have to be in the office, the industry recommendation is to tie them up with nylon rope and glue their hands together with cyanoacrylate glue. Otherwise, they are going to mess up your work.
    Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.
    Spoken like a solid map 3 player.
    Ok. @Run477 you can look me up in game. Not a map 3 player.

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.
    Actually I asked a question to a specific person (which wasn’t you) about a specific statement they made. Because I was genuinely curious why said time frames didn’t work.
    Move along and make your compulsive, unsolicited, condescending interjections somewhere else. Wouldn’t want you to spend your nightly routine on one thread, you’ve got lots of other threads to take your keyboard pot shots at.
    Ill move along when you move along.
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    To be fair, maintenance is at 12AM EST.

All you west coasters, kinda get hosed.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★

The majority. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. Didn’t say it had to be optimal for everyone..
    Good grief, we got the forum holy trinity in here. Shocker.

It already is good for the majority lol, you are clearly in the minority here haha.
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    If its earlier then it affects the whole east coast including myself. It will always harm a group of people so as long as we are given notice I am fine with it
This discussion has been closed.