**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Scheduled Maintenance During Prime Hours

13»

Comments

• TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★

The majority. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. Didn’t say it had to be optimal for everyone..
    Good grief, we got the forum holy trinity in here. Shocker.

It already is good for the majority lol, you are clearly in the minority here haha.
    In this thread.. not sure that can be said as a whole. It’s a pretty inconvenient time for most of the US and Canada. But after the insight from DNA it makes more sense. I’m more understanding, knowing some of the reasoning behind it. I said as much but that comment appears to be gone. That’s all I was looking for.
    It’s not the end of the world regardless, but in theory it makes a lot more sense (if a majority of players are in NA) for it to take place say at the start of the workday, 8am pst/ 11am est. But given the explanation, I can understand that.
    Maintenance starts 11pm for east coast so def not most.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,957 ★★★★★

The majority. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. Didn’t say it had to be optimal for everyone..

It already is good for the majority lol, you are clearly in the minority here haha.
    In this thread.. not sure that can be said as a whole. It’s a pretty inconvenient time for most of the US and Canada. But after the insight from DNA it makes more sense. I’m more understanding, knowing some of the reasoning behind it. I said as much but that comment appears to be gone. That’s all I was looking for.
    It’s not the end of the world regardless, but in theory it makes a lot more sense (if a majority of players are in NA) for it to take place say at the start of the workday, 8am pst/ 11am est. But given the explanation, I can understand that.
    NA isnt more important than any other part of the world regardless of who has the most player base. All players are viewed equally when it comes to it.
  • PrathapPrathap Posts: 581 ★★★
    Did you really need that much of explanation to figure it out!!?? Good for you.. :)

• Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

This age old question! I haven't seen it come up in a while, but I'm happy to lend some insights here.

This is a game with players all around the world, which means that no matter what time we do Maintenance, it will affect somebody's "prime playing time".

We try to make sure we give as much notice as we can for players to plan ahead, but we know that even then, somebody's going to be affected by the timing. There is no perfect time to do a Maintenance, but if there was, we would choose that period.

Miike—this doesn’t answer any question. If the issue is employee time at work, fine, say that. Although I don’t understand why maintenance couldn’t be hours earlier if that’s the issue. Whether it’s the “perfect time” for maintenance (it’s clearly not for US based players but it might be for Europe who is asleep during it), isn’t the issue.

The question is “why was this 8 pm pacific time the time decided for maintenance very time? It seems arbitrary without some explanation. Simply saying that there isn’t a perfect time doesn’t tell us why you settled on 8 pm pacific.
    It should tell you that there's no obviously better time, so there's no obvious reason to change it.

The 8pm pacific start time is 9pm mountain, 10pm central, and 11pm eastern. Moving it earlier might theoretically make it better for some pacific time zone players, at the expense of making it worse for timezones further east. Many people in the past have argued that 6pm-11pm is "prime time" for players. Even if you accept that to be true, and even if you don't care about any players outside of the contiguous United States, to avoid this block of time you'd have to make maintenance start earlier than 4pm pacific or later than 11pm pacific. That time window is impractical for many reasons. And this presumes that every maintenance window is going to be two hours long. Some maintenance windows have lasted for an extended period of time, and the scheduled start time would need to be advanced to 2pm or earlier to avoid the same window.

When I have any choice at all, all of my scheduled maintenance windows have initiated between 5pm and 9pm local time, between Tuesday and Thursday. The only time they aren't in that window is when there's a mandatory situational requirement for the downtime to occur at some other time. The reasons why are so overwhelming that I consider scheduled downtime outside that window to be extraordinary and require justification, rather than the reverse. In fact, I assume categorically that any IT team that regularly schedules maintenance windows outside that range is probably just not good at it, or lacks operational experience.
    Why would earlier than 4pm PST be impractical?
    It might not be... for you in your mind. The time that they have it at works perfectly for them to do what they need to do. This is starting to turn into ome of those "why" talks-

Why is the sky blue? Because of (Insert scientific reason to long for me to list right now).
    Oh okay. But why is it that color blue
    Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    What are you even talking about dude? It was an honest question because I’m not understanding the reasoning, and a relevant one. You have a lot snide comments on a lot threads that contribute nothing other than to get your rocks off apparently. And “because it works for them” is a pretty encompassing excuse. That could be said for anything. Doesn’t mean it’s best.
    You have no less than 6 people explain why and all you keep saying is "why can't they do it at this time or that time". Miike has even commented on it but you keep going and going with it.

Bottomline is that maintenance is at the time they select for the reason they need it to be at that time. Its been 5 years and it hasnt changed, its not likely to change as its working just fine. Its a 2 hour maintenance period except for once or twice. It doesnt hinder any progress and its announced a week early.

Just drop it already.
    Spoken like a solid map 3 player.

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

This age old question! I haven't seen it come up in a while, but I'm happy to lend some insights here.

This is a game with players all around the world, which means that no matter what time we do Maintenance, it will affect somebody's "prime playing time".

We try to make sure we give as much notice as we can for players to plan ahead, but we know that even then, somebody's going to be affected by the timing. There is no perfect time to do a Maintenance, but if there was, we would choose that period.

Miike—this doesn’t answer any question. If the issue is employee time at work, fine, say that. Although I don’t understand why maintenance couldn’t be hours earlier if that’s the issue. Whether it’s the “perfect time” for maintenance (it’s clearly not for US based players but it might be for Europe who is asleep during it), isn’t the issue.

The question is “why was this 8 pm pacific time the time decided for maintenance very time? It seems arbitrary without some explanation. Simply saying that there isn’t a perfect time doesn’t tell us why you settled on 8 pm pacific.
    It should tell you that there's no obviously better time, so there's no obvious reason to change it.

The 8pm pacific start time is 9pm mountain, 10pm central, and 11pm eastern. Moving it earlier might theoretically make it better for some pacific time zone players, at the expense of making it worse for timezones further east. Many people in the past have argued that 6pm-11pm is "prime time" for players. Even if you accept that to be true, and even if you don't care about any players outside of the contiguous United States, to avoid this block of time you'd have to make maintenance start earlier than 4pm pacific or later than 11pm pacific. That time window is impractical for many reasons. And this presumes that every maintenance window is going to be two hours long. Some maintenance windows have lasted for an extended period of time, and the scheduled start time would need to be advanced to 2pm or earlier to avoid the same window.

When I have any choice at all, all of my scheduled maintenance windows have initiated between 5pm and 9pm local time, between Tuesday and Thursday. The only time they aren't in that window is when there's a mandatory situational requirement for the downtime to occur at some other time. The reasons why are so overwhelming that I consider scheduled downtime outside that window to be extraordinary and require justification, rather than the reverse. In fact, I assume categorically that any IT team that regularly schedules maintenance windows outside that range is probably just not good at it, or lacks operational experience.
    It might not be... for you in your mind. The time that they have it at works perfectly for them to do what they need to do. This is starting to turn into ome of those "why" talks-

Why is the sky blue? Because of (Insert scientific reason to long for me to list right now).
    Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..
    What are you even talking about dude? It was an honest question because I’m not understanding the reasoning, and a relevant one. You have a lot snide comments on a lot threads that contribute nothing other than to get your rocks off apparently. And “because it works for them” is a pretty encompassing excuse. That could be said for anything. Doesn’t mean it’s best.
    You have no less than 6 people explain why and all you keep saying is "why can't they do it at this time or that time". Miike has even commented on it but you keep going and going with it.

Bottomline is that maintenance is at the time they select for the reason they need it to be at that time. Its been 5 years and it hasnt changed, its not likely to change as its working just fine. Its a 2 hour maintenance period except for once or twice. It doesnt hinder any progress and its announced a week early.

Just drop it already.
    Ok. @Run477 you can look me up in game. Not a map 3 player.
    Just did. My mistake. Map 2 player.
    Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.
    Got me pegged. Didn't realize people could "talk" like which AQ maps they play. So since I actually play map 6, what does that make me?

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.
    Got me pegged. Didn't realize people could "talk" like which AQ maps they play. So since I actually play map 6, what does that make me?

A noob?

Run477 said:

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

A noob?
    Cool. Map 6 players are noobs. Learn something everyday. But congratulations, instead of having an actual discussion you resort to insults and childish behavior. Have a great night.
    So 6 is basically map 3 or 4 at this point bc of the number of god tier champs and the availability of rankup materials.

Map 6 was tough before blade and ghost rider and some of these other great champs when most people were running it with 4* r5 ultron or wolverine as their best champ.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

I’ve always been confused as to why this is the case and just thought I would open the discussion.. Considering the majority of the player base is in North America, why is maintenance always during prime playing time? When everyone is home for the night with the most availability. Maintenance could be anytime, why not make it in the morning or during the day when most people are at work? This would be a much welcomed change, to me at least.

And how did you come to the conclusion that the majority of the player base is in North America?
    Personal experience having played the game for 4 years. Granted that’s an assumption, I could be wrong, but if I had to place a bet.. Also Kabam is North America based and operates on and references PST for everything else.
    There are a lot of European players. Enough for Kabam to spend time translating the whole game. I'm baffled how some Americans truly believe they are the only ones on the planet.

I’ve always been confused as to why this is the case and just thought I would open the discussion.. Considering the majority of the player base is in North America, why is maintenance always during prime playing time? When everyone is home for the night with the most availability. Maintenance could be anytime, why not make it in the morning or during the day when most people are at work? This would be a much welcomed change, to me at least.

And how did you come to the conclusion that the majority of the player base is in North America?
    Personal experience having played the game for 4 years. Granted that’s an assumption, I could be wrong, but if I had to place a bet.. Also Kabam is North America based and operates on and references PST for everything else.
    There are a lot of European players. Enough for Kabam to spend time translating the whole game. I'm baffled how some Americans truly believe they are the only ones on the planet.
    Im American and couldn't agree more with this.
    edited October 2019
    I remember running map 6 with just 4* r4 champs bc those were my best available champs. Man that sucked with the degen everywhere
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    Run477 said:

Run477 said:

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

Run477 said:

DNA3000 said:

Run477 said:

Etc..
    Etc.. Etc..

Just drop it already.

A noob?
    Cool. Map 6 players are noobs. Learn something everyday. But congratulations, instead of having an actual discussion you resort to insults and childish behavior. Have a great night.
    So 6 is basically map 3 or 4 at this point bc of the number of god tier champs and the availability of rankup materials.

Map 6 was tough before blade and ghost rider and some of these other great champs when most people were running it with 4* r5 ultron or wolverine as their best champ.
    You say map 6 is easy even though you couldnt finish wtv map you are doing with only 2 hours removed which was scheduled. What does that make you? (Also map 6 has much harder defenders now then whenever you were playing it)
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

You keep thinking "for most" includes you. It is inconvenient mostly for pst, for EST, central and mountain it is fine. If you shifted it down to 4pm PST then you would be really interfering with the rest of NA. Stop thinking you are int he majority, when mathematically you ARE in the minority, especially in the US where ~3 times the number of people live in the EST timezone than in the PST timezone
  • Kabam LyraKabam Lyra Posts: 2,936 ★★★
    Since the initial question has been answered with relation to why downtime is scheduled, and the discussion has gone off topic this thread will be closed.
This discussion has been closed.