**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

AI adapting attack distance based on player position!

StrategicStrategic Posts: 632 ★★★
I can't be the only one who's pissed off by this. It's not new.
I'm talking about the AI extending certain attacks' range to allow itself to reach you.

For example if you dash back half a second before the AI uses a heavy the AI will extend the range of the heavy and literally glide slightly forward to get within range.

Also with specials if you dash back a half second early the special will reach you even though it's a short range special!
And of course dash response is not fast enough to double evade in time!!!

The vets of us probably remember the dash back used to be way longer in the past and took you practically all the way to the end of the screen but they changed that a long time ago to this short range dash back and we get this as a result.

Why is this a thing that nobody talks about or am I just making a big deal of it and everyone is happy with it?

Comments

• StrategicStrategic Posts: 632 ★★★
    Manyoofs said:

Kabam miike has already addressed this nonsense conspiracy

What conspiracy?
  • StrategicStrategic Posts: 632 ★★★
    Manyoofs said:

Strategic said:

Manyoofs said:

Kabam miike has already addressed this nonsense conspiracy

What conspiracy?
    Your big block of text
    What else? Your name cuz that also might fit
    How long have you been playing this game? Just curious cause when I said vets I meant players like me who have been playing for about 4 years now.
  • rcm2017rcm2017 Posts: 568 ★★★
    Yes, this happens. And happens at all the wrong times when you are on 5% health etc.lol Its a small issue considering the pending ones in wait list to get a fix. :smile: Am sure everyone has faced this, Luke cage special 1 is a perfect example, dude just glides a bit to get close to give you a sp1 beating if you dont time the dex correctly and you are a bit late in dexing. Another close example would be king groots sp1, same style.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    attacks have a longer range than right in front of them, heavies and specials in particular, for example you don’t have to be standing right in front of voodoo for the first bit of his s1 to hit you, you can be a bit of a distance away, yes it happens, and it’s intended, and if you’re on about the ai suddenly flying over the whole screen on an attack you can’t then yes that’s a conspiracy
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    This is an intentional feature of the game that is not exclusive to the AI. You can take advantage of this extended reach as well but typically users aren't willing to risk it. It would probably be 'pro player' to remove it but it is something that both sides can do.
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,106 ★★★★★
    edited November 2019
    Whether it makes sense for it to be this way or not is another story, but the way I view it is that some heavies require you to deep evade rather than shallow evade. The closer to the point of impact you wait until dashing back, the further away your character actually dashes back. Dash back early and you are left in close proximity (shallow evade). Dash back at the last second before impact and you are left far away from them. That said, knowing why it happens doesn't always help..(we all get caught by it sometimes:), but maybe it will help a little.
    Knowing full well what is coming, I still get caught by punisher 99's slide/heavy/stun at least once per month in AQ:)
  • Strategic said:

?..
    I'm talking about the AI extending certain attacks' range to allow itself to reach you.
    Why is this a thing that nobody talks about or am I just making a big deal of it and everyone is happy with it?

(making too much of a big deal out of it, lol)
    It is by design.

Best example I can think of is ANTMAN SP1. His attack is running towards you in his miniature state, and his ending position (when he would become big again and hit you) is determined sometime “during” his running towards you. The distance is based on where you are away from him, instead of being a fixed distance every single time (like most other champ's SP's are).
    So (1) if you stayed far away from Antman before his SP1, he will run all the way up to you.
    (2) if you remained fairly close to him, his running is obviously much shorter since you are closer.

But since his ending point has already been calculated BEFORE he actually reaches you, you can evade back fairly soon before he would stop running, and he will grow big and hit into thin air at a position “where you used to be”, even though you have moved further back in the meantime.

By design.
    (I think the “Slide” motion of the updated Colossus is variable too, based on how far away you initially are, but you could always evade further back “during” his SP too).

• Starlord27Starlord27 Posts: 50
    Yes it’s clearly a mechanic that’s intended. The issue is the AI never utilities these methods in fights against you. Specifically (from my own anecdotal perspective) it happened around the release of Nick Fury. All of a sudden the AI would two hit miss against ghost then block within 0.000069second window to stop an intercept. You could hit twice into the block, dash out and dash in resulting in an inference or...that’s no longer doable unless you get lucky with a light attack after dashing back (don’t reply saying you can still do that, I’m talking about hitting into a block then out and in not using a 4 hit combo dashing out and in to intercept).

AI is definitely different in AQ also, map 3 just feels horrible, defenders just walking up to you and light attacking, parrying is just guess work most of the time tbh.

I agree with the guy making the post and you guys saying it’s always been a mechanic of the game. The issue is the AI never acted this way until around the introduction of Nick Fury (that month not due to the character). Kabam always avoid it, even after countless of examples showing this being the case. Unfortunately this doesn’t gain enough traction to change, very frustrating