**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Deliberate Special Holding is Killing Arena

2»

Comments

• phil56201phil56201 Posts: 953 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

phil56201 said:

DNA3000 said:

phil56201 said:

DNA3000 said:

GimmeCull said:

I too have narrowed it down to around match up 6 to 7. Though sometimes the fifth can be tricky.

I have literally never seen anything like this happen so early. It makes me wonder if this is partially a question of your team selection. Which arena is this happening in, and can you tell me exactly what team composition you're using for the first seven rounds? Star, rank, PI, the whole thing. There must be a way to generate "hard" fights that low, but I'm not even sure I can do it deliberately, especially not at round five.
    I have seen that happen before. It's usually when you bring in 1 or 2 r4's and maybe a r3 or 2 of whatever tier arena your grinding in. Been a long time since Ive seen that, though, since I always play my r3 teams thru match 10.
    I'm going to go into the 4* featured which I haven't started yet and see if I can deliberately break my streak in round 6 (or after round 5) by putting in the worst guys I have and see what happens.
    Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that even if you do get something overpowered, if you are experienced enough, you should be able to get thru regardless. I can usually handle the occasional deathmatch I trigger on my self by mindlessly forming teams and forgetting to make sure my teams PI is high enough.

I've pulled out some death match rounds, but I was just trying to see if I could pull a hard fight at all, and I failed completely. I did the 4* featured up to round 5, then put my lowest 4* champs into the fight (which would be round 6). We're talking rank 1s and rank 2s. And it didn't give me a hard fight. I did it again in round 7 (i.e. the next round) with some rank 2s and a rank 3 and I still couldn't get the game to hand me any hard fights at all. Just for reference, here those rounds are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRsyLoQoZHI
    I recorded the fights so people can observe it isn't just that the PI is low, the AI is fighting "normally" and the fights are fights the average player could be expected to win. I also did this again in rounds 8 and 9, but for some reason my iPhone failed to record. It seems to be an iOS13 glitch, ever since that update sometimes I start recordings and they silently fail to record anything, or even indicate it was ever recording. In any case, those were rank 3 4*s on my side, and things went more or less the same.
    I tried too. In the 5* featured, formed the dumbest teams I could think of and I was still able to win them all.

Sorry. Double post. Went to edit, and went to approval instead.
  • CsuttonCsutton Posts: 177 ★★
    Idk how this went to death match talk. The original reference was the ai holding their specials. It’s not all the time but it’s happened to me a few times lately so the thread caught my eye. They are easy fights normally. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you don’t have a power control and they won’t bait for minutes on end, it’s annoying. That’s all. It hasn’t happened a lot, just something I noticed only recently (and I’ve played pretty much since the beginning.) I don’t know if that’s how others would explain it, it that’s why I responded.
    Csutton said:

Idk how this went to death match talk. The original reference was the ai holding their specials. It’s not all the time but it’s happened to me a few times lately so the thread caught my eye. They are easy fights normally. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you don’t have a power control and they won’t bait for minutes on end, it’s annoying. That’s all. It hasn’t happened a lot, just something I noticed only recently (and I’ve played pretty much since the beginning.) I don’t know if that’s how others would explain it, it that’s why I responded.

It was this post mentioning deathmatches around matches 5-6.
    GimmeCull said:

I agree with this.

I hate playing arena at the moment. The matchmaking is bad enough without this issue.

About 5 or 6 rounds in, you get stacked up against teams that are nigh on twice the power of yours. No matter what combination of champs you throw in there.

The battles are painfully slow. You find yourself chipping away at the opponents health bar, trying to bait first specials but then when the health bar is at the tipping point..... AI hits the "I win button" and hits its third special, which it charged up near the start of the battle.

And no matter how much health you've conserved, it will eradicate an entire health bar.

Its making the grind so slow with constant reset of the multiplier.

edited November 2019
    Ahh I see..... forums....lol 🤦🏻‍♂️

In that case I’d concur, that’s clearly choosing wrong champs for streak.
    Thread title should be edited “How to lose your streak” lol
    I mean, I agree, it can get a little annoying in those pre-match 15 fights, but it's never been so much of an issue that I couldn't deal with it. Not enough to keep me from getting to the infinite streak, that is.

Plus it's not like they will not throw sps under any circumstance. I find getting them into the corner and doing 2 or 3 hit combos ending in light then backing off seems to trigger the AI throwing sps a bit more.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★

This started a month or two ago, and I dunno what they tweaked with the program, but it's making arena pretty unbearable to play.

There's absolutely nothing fun about taking zero hits from a defender, baiting for two minutes to no avail, and then getting one-shot KOed by a special 3.

That’s interesting as I’m an arena “grinder” and I scored ~2-3mm in 5* and 4* featured arena in each round normally, neither I face death match at 6/7 fights nor overly defensive behaviour. Can you share a video for reference? Although I don’t have such issue, I can’t rule out the possibility that some algorithm results being applied on your account.

Rather I experienced defensive behaviour in AW where those defenders just hold up at corner and don’t attack. It’s annoying but I just use heavy to breakthrough it.
  • 1_ShuNeu_11_ShuNeu_1 Posts: 375 ★★★
    The game used to be labeled "stress reliever" -- now it should be labeled "stress inducer"
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,369 ★★★★★
    Arenas arent the only thing Event Quest too. The AI holds their sp2 and at times keep holding till i am cornered and many times they execute other they are itching to use their sp3
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    edited November 2019
    I keep hearing about the ai holding to it's third and i only occassionally experience this and usually only 1 out of three fights out of 100s of rounds. I have found (and i invite you to test it for yourself) that a light or heavy causes them to fire whatever charge up they have attained. Either a combo with a heavy or light, or stun them and do a light or heavy and they will discharge. You are obviously talking about teams with suicide...try the light and or heavy when they get to 1 bar. Good luck! I hope that helps.
  • NimorNimor Posts: 110
    I ve played a lot of arena and i would like to give my take on what is happening. When you are matched vs a team there are 2 aspects to the team you are facing. First their pi and second the difficulty. Those 2 are completely independent to each other you can have a deathmatch (really high pi enemy team) with any of the difficulties (easy, normal, hard). The difficulty pretty much shows what kind of bot you are facing. Easy usually means really passive opponent that rarely gives sp1 or sp2. Normal is a middle ground semi passive bot and hard is the usual aggressive difficulty most of us are used. What happens in the rounds 6-9 (again this can happen on other rounds but my experience shows that's where the problem rises usually) is you get an easy bot with relatively high pi which means it won't give sp1 or sp2 that easily but you can't beat with a low damage team before them getting to sp3. At higher rounds you usually get more aggressive ais and baiting sps even with much higher pi opponents is not an issue any more
    This already has been a wall of text and wouldn't want to get into further detail. If someone has any questions we can continue the discussion. Again this is my take on the subject and i might be completely wrong but as i said before i ve played my share of arenas :p
  • Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,610 ★★★★★
    Lazuli said:

AQ too, for some reason in these two game modes the AI throws specials and an insanely reduced rate. I mean i can be trying to bait a special 1 and still somehow end up stuck dexing against the wall or pushing them all the way to three.

Map 5 especially. I have stopped baiting and just eat the sp3 with killmonger