**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

With all the 5* crystals we get this month, does it actually make you worse off?

Comments

• Options
    Justin2524Justin2524 Posts: 1,626 ★★★★
    Timone147 said:

If you are counting on increased shards this month in the race to a better roster you have already lost. This race is one by one of two things... money and/or massive time and grind including arena.

Exactly.

So the people who have spent money (through hard work and sacrificing their spend elsewhere outside of the game) and the people who have grinded for the 5* shards in arenas which BTW are still hard to come by - their effort effectively is cheated by the people who have gotten those shards for free this month.

• Options

Yeah but in Alliance War aren't you measuring yourselves against another alliance?

If the other Alliances are pulling better champs on average, you're falling behind.

Alliance War is an optional gamemode. Unlike AQ, there are no resources you can get only from AW and nowhere else.

Whether or not you win a war, it has no real bearing on your progression. Sure, it can net you some shards over time, but you get shards whether you win or lose, so technically you’re always moving forwards in terms of overall roster progression and never really falling behind. Falling down a tier isn’t ‘falling behind’ either - you still get season rewards, but just not as much as you would have gotten. You’re still gaining resources and shards, so again, you’re still moving forwards from a progression standpoint.

Overall the only difference is how quickly you progress, and yes, that’s variable from player to player. But an arbitrary period of someone else pulling great champs while you pull mediocre ones does not mean you’re falling behind, it just means your rosters are progressing at different rates.

Just focus on your own journey and you’ll be fine.
    Um, when did I say you're not progressing? Of course you are. But if you don't pull someone good it's slower relative to other people.

Let's say you're making $30k a year. That's a decent living. But if EVERYONE ELSE is making $90k a year, you're falling behind year after year. And with inflation you're falling behind even further.

We don't live in a vacuum.
    Gonna skip right over the nonsensical analogy.

Your question was whether you’re ‘worse off’ this month if you were pulling mediocre champs while others were pulling better ones.

No, you’re not.

Because at the end of this month, your roster (and the amount of content you’ve completed) will be in a better place than at the start of the month. How else would you quantify “better off” or “worse off”?

Yes, you may be progressing slower than other people. But other players’ accounts makes absolutely no difference to your journey as a summoner. Their pulls don’t affect your pulls.
    Yeah but RELATIVE to another player how can you be "better off" if you pulled x5 Meme tier and he/she pulled x5 God Tier champs?
    What exactly are you asking for here? Kabam to just stop putting shards in quests or what?
    All I'm saying is BE CAREFUL what you ask for. More rewards isn't always a good thing.
    Yes it is...
    Not if you've pulled all the Meme champs while others around you are pulling God Tier champs.
  • Options
    So far the results are:

28% - bad pulls
    46% - so so pulls
    25% - great pulls

So effectively, on average, 74% of people have not improved their roster, but 25% have greatly improved theirs.

That's the fallacy here.

Only 25% of people are better off after these INCREASED rewards.

Again - don't think that INCREASED rewards leads to INCREASED enjoyment.

In a relative sense, 75% have actually fallen behind the 25% who improved their roster.
  • Options
    tidusx2jrtidusx2jr Posts: 182 ★★
    It's been really good for me - I've pulled God or beyond God tier champs

zuffy said:

Pulling many god tier champs doesn’t help if you got no resources to rank them up. In October, I pulled 6* sparkles, 5* AA, Corvus, Namor, domino, fury. What good is it if I don’t have resources to rank all of them up?

It is still better to have pulled those champs than to not have pulled them, no?
    It's better in terms of having a collection of champs. Is it better in terms of progressing if you dont have the resources to rank them? No. Is anyone going to bring a god tier rank 1 champ to act 6? Definitely not. So I guess if you look at it in terms of "glad I got pulling this champ out of the way, he will be great someday when I can rank him up" then sure I guess it's better to have them on your roster rather than not having them, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're in better shape if you cant use them for progression right now.
  • Options
    Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    I pulled namor this month but not ranking him. Not really about what others do. It’s about you
  • Options
    SpiralSpiral Posts: 84
    I know what you mean but in short, lower level players need those 5*s. Doesn't matter if someone near or just above them gets a god tier and they get a bad champ. Face it, there are so many imbalances in the game because of spending already that this is a drop in the bucket. Look no further than the kind of people who have 10+ R5 5*s, whilst if you've only explored variants and explored up to act 5 and done completion in act 6, you're still way behind. think of that, huge progress in this game and it means almost nothing because people can just spend for champs and resources.

so in short, lower level players need it.
  • Options
    Spiral said:

I know what you mean but in short, lower level players need those 5*s. Doesn't matter if someone near or just above them gets a god tier and they get a bad champ. Face it, there are so many imbalances in the game because of spending already that this is a drop in the bucket. Look no further than the kind of people who have 10+ R5 5*s, whilst if you've only explored variants and explored up to act 5 and done completion in act 6, you're still way behind. think of that, huge progress in this game and it means almost nothing because people can just spend for champs and resources.

Yeah but comparing 2 mid level players who are more or less even, 1 spens a lot of time grinding and maybe $50 a month on the game but he couldn't pull a God tier champ. Another player doesn't do any grinding but this month was able to get 3 God tier champs out of the 5 free 5* crystals.

How is that fair to the guy that grinds and spends money?

These increased rewards are rewarding those players who don't necessarily spend time or money in the game to the detriment of those that spend time and money on the game.

Is that fair?
  • Options

I pulled namor this month but not ranking him. Not really about what others do. It’s about you

Not everyone thinks like that though.
  • Options
    SuperGoodSuperGood Posts: 128
    Like everyone has said comparing your account to others is kind of pointless. Or even counter productive as in the adage, “Comparison is the thief of joy”. You reduce your own enjoyment of the game needlessly by thinking this way. A better way to go about it would be to encourage and celebrate with people who were blessed this month with great champs that will be good for clearing content. They would be encouraged and you would actually feel better by being an encourager. Complaining is kind of a sickness in a sense... Also, Kabam did right by increasing rewards and sending compensation. Thankfulness for what we received from them would also be a blessing to you and others.
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 967 ★★★

Ryse said:

I was going to quit the game but held on thinking let me just finish this month if I couldnt push 4.3.1 onwards. I had 4* and only 3 5* wolverine x23, mordo and sup IM. Suddenly I pulled off Nick fury in legendary and Aegon from 5* shard crystal. Right now, I just finished Conqueror. I am going for uncollected at the moment. and fury and Aegon are two helluva killers to be very honest.

Be satisfied with whatever comes your way. One day, the sun shines down on everyone at one point.

P.S. you dont need got tier champs just good ones enough to be standing in fights rather than being blasted away. rest is all skill work and reflexes

I'm happy that you've pulled a Nick Fury and an Aegon from the 5* crystal shards.

But again, compared to people who have grinded in the arenas to get those hard to come by 5* shards, you've effectively gotten those God Tier 5* for free this month with all the easy shards rewards.

I'm still happy for you, but I'm also sad for people who have had to grind for those shards.
    OK, what? Gotta be the strangest perspective on this game and progression Ive ever seen...

• Options
    Nichj99Nichj99 Posts: 248 ★★
    It's been so so for me - some decent champs
    I’ve opened 10x 5* crystals this month. All have been dups. Mostly all mid tier, nothing exciting.

So it could be worse
  • Options
    Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    First-time duped my CAIW, so I'm pretty happy.
  • Options
    SuperGood said:

Like everyone has said comparing your account to others is kind of pointless. Or even counter productive as in the adage, “Comparison is the thief of joy”. You reduce your own enjoyment of the game needlessly by thinking this way. A better way to go about it would be to encourage and celebrate with people who were blessed this month with great champs that will be good for clearing content. They would be encouraged and you would actually feel better by being an encourager. Complaining is kind of a sickness in a sense... Also, Kabam did right by increasing rewards and sending compensation. Thankfulness for what we received from them would also be a blessing to you and others.

Yeah but imagine Kabam giving out 5 5* crystals every month, 5* crystals would become meaningless over time.

My point for this thread is be careful what you ask for, increased rewards aren't always good.
  • Options
    SuperGood said:

Also comparing is what people do all the time, it's human nature.

How many people who aren't Warriors fans were happy that they won all those Chips with Durant?

None.

Everyone else wants their own teams to win.
  • Options

Spiral said:

Yeah but comparing 2 mid level players who are more or less even, 1 spens a lot of time grinding and maybe $50 a month on the game but he couldn't pull a God tier champ. Another player doesn't do any grinding but this month was able to get 3 God tier champs out of the 5 free 5* crystals.

These increased rewards are rewarding those players who don't necessarily spend time or money in the game to the detriment of those that spend time and money on the game.

Is that fair?
    They both have the same % of pulling a god tier champ from those same rewards tho. It doesn't, nor will it ever, matter how much harder someone grinds or spends in the game bc RNG is always the determining factor.

By your way of thinking, Kabam should have some way of tracking player's progress, grind time and spending habits to give them an increased chance at obtaining god tier champs from Crystal's over that of someone who just casually plays or doesn't spend money on the game. I am UC, I grind about 9-12m in 5* arenas 2x a week, 3m in 4* featured arenas 2x a week, hit all milestones on t4bc (2m) & t1 alpha (1.6m), plus doing daily side quests along with monthly EQ; completed UC and working on exploration, 100% master, 100% heroic. Plus doing AQ map 5x5, doing AW and still working on progression in act 6. Does that mean I should get only god tier champs from my crystal pulls too, you know since it should be based on grind and money spent right? Or that i should get better champs than someone else that's UC bc I grind harder or spend more than that person who doesn't? By that logic the game would be terribly unbalanced and give 0 incentive to the players who dont have that much time to play or extra money to drop on the game, or just the casual player who likes only questing but hates arenas.. see why it's all RNG now? It's the fairest way possible, by sheer and pure luck of the draw.
  • Options
    GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Posts: 6,454 Guardian
    edited November 2019

So far the results are:

28% - bad pulls
    46% - so so pulls
    25% - great pulls

So effectively, on average, 74% of people have not improved their roster, but 25% have greatly improved theirs.

That's the fallacy here.

In a relative sense, 75% have actually fallen behind the 25% who improved their roster.

Last I checked there were only a total of 53 votes on the survey. That's not enough of a sample size to justify a point yet. Also I'm not sure if you're saying you'd rather not have us get shard rewards due to people making the choice to spend or grind for that specific champ or what. People who spend and grind do so because they want to and they want to get them as soon as possible. Some people work to save shards to try and go for the featured, and other have to wait months to maybe get lucky and get that champ out of a basic. It is all RNG and the champs someone gets should not be a basis of comparison to your own progress.
  • Options

So far the results are:

28% - bad pulls
    46% - so so pulls
    25% - great pulls

That's the fallacy here.

It is all RNG and the champs someone gets should not be a basis of comparison to your own progress.
    Yeah but the more shards you get the more 5* crystals you get, the more 5* crystals you get the more chances you have for pulling God Tier champs.
  • Options

SuperGood said:

How many people who aren't Warriors fans were happy that they won all those Chips with Durant?

None.

Howd this go from being about 5* crystals, to annual income to now the golden state warriors?! lmao.

And comparing isn't human nature, nor is it what people do all the time. There's another word for that, it's called envy. Which is what this post is sounding more and more like. My guess is you had bad luck with your 5*s and perhaps an alliance mate at or around the same level had better luck but doesn't play as much as you or spend 50 bucks a month like you, so you feel the champ they got should be yours and the champ you got should be theirs.

Anywho....

Btw you're also incorrect about how many ppl that weren't GSW fans weren't happy about the warriors winning the championships with Durant. Everyone who dislikes LBJ was happy they won and were rooting them on along the way.

• Options
    edited November 2019

So far the results are:

28% - bad pulls
    46% - so so pulls
    25% - great pulls

That's the fallacy here.

Also I'm not sure if you're saying you'd rather not have us get shard rewards due to people making the choice to spend or grind for that specific champ or what.
    What I'm saying is we shouldn't always ask for more REWARDS as it can have unintended consequences on the balance of the game.

There is always a balance between working hard FOR something, or doing nothing and getting lucky to GET something.

By getting more rewards for FREE the balance is shifted to those who are doing nothing but getting lucky to get things and before you know it there'll be no need to grind but just sit around and keep asking for handouts.
  • Options
    tidusx2jr said:

Spiral said:

Is that fair?
    They both have the same % of pulling a god tier champ from those same rewards tho. It doesn't, nor will it ever, matter how much harder someone grinds or spends in the game bc RNG is always the determining factor.

By your way of thinking, Kabam should have some way of tracking player's progress, grind time and spending habits to give them an increased chance at obtaining god tier champs from Crystal's over that of someone who just casually plays or doesn't spend money on the game. I am UC, I grind about 9-12m in 5* arenas 2x a week, 3m in 4* featured arenas 2x a week, hit all milestones on t4bc (2m) & t1 alpha (1.6m), plus doing daily side quests along with monthly EQ; completed UC and working on exploration, 100% master, 100% heroic. Plus doing AQ map 5x5, doing AW and still working on progression in act 6. Does that mean I should get only god tier champs from my crystal pulls too, you know since it should be based on grind and money spent right? Or that i should get better champs than someone else that's UC bc I grind harder or spend more than that person who doesn't? By that logic the game would be terribly unbalanced and give 0 incentive to the players who dont have that much time to play or extra money to drop on the game, or just the casual player who likes only questing but hates arenas.. see why it's all RNG now? It's the fairest way possible, by sheer and pure luck of the draw.
    I'm not saying you as a grinder should get EVERYTHING, but on the balance, if you spend x20 times more time on the game you should get more rewards from the game.

Someone else shouldn't just be able to pick up the game and quickly catch up to you cause everyone's asking for more and more rewards.
  • Options
    tidusx2jr said:

SuperGood said:

None.

Howd this go from being about 5* crystals, to annual income to now the golden state warriors?! lmao.

And comparing isn't human nature, nor is it what people do all the time. There's another word for that, it's called envy. Which is what this post is sounding more and more like. My guess is you had bad luck with your 5*s and perhaps an alliance mate at or around the same level had better luck but doesn't play as much as you or spend 50 bucks a month like you, so you feel the champ they got should be yours and the champ you got should be theirs.

Anywho....

Btw you're also incorrect about how many ppl that weren't GSW fans weren't happy about the warriors winning the championships with Durant. Everyone who dislikes LBJ was happy they won and were rooting them on along the way.

2 Things.

1. Why the need to get personal? Play the ball not the man.

2. LeBron's chance of winning was nill last year with the Lakers so your argument made no sense.
  • Options
    EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★
    Might be too early for me, might be that I’ve not had enough coffee yet, but I’m absolutely confused (putting it mildly) by your way of thinking/reasoning 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★
    Let me guess you pulled a cyclops which lead you to making this thread
  • Options

Might be too early for me, might be that I’ve not had enough coffee yet, but I’m absolutely confused (putting it mildly) by your way of thinking/reasoning 🤦‍♂️

TL/DR version

Always asking for MORE rewards isn't always good as it messes with the Effort vs Rewards balance.
  • Options
    Zuro said:

No need to get personal, play the ball not the man.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★

Zuro said:

It was a joke lmao
  • Options
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

It was a joke lmao
    Oh ok.. .haha..
  • Options
    ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★

• Options
    Aryl said:

Ditto.