**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

My First R5. Anybody Else Have Him At R5?

Took me quite a while to decide between him, Hyp & Ghost, but I'm definitely happy with my decision. Anybody else in the R5 Gulk club?

Comments

• IcsGrecIcsGrec Posts: 919 ★★★
    Someone in my alliance has him as a 6* Rank 2 and he's very pleased with him.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,126 ★★★★★

Took me quite a while to decide between him, Hyp & Ghost, but I'm definitely happy with my decision. Anybody else in the R5 Gulk club?

Ghost, Hype, and him but you go with Gulk? Yikes
    Well I’m kind said that stil a good choice.
  • SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★

Ghulk is amazing. Still, Ghost and Hype surpass him in just about everything. It's a matter of choice, so congrats!

Not really. He does things they can't do. They don't have anything like his "Face Me' to nodes or champs it applies (well Ghost has that with Hood but it's not always active). He has Heal Block and a Enervate to beat the enemy in the face for free in alot of fights.

All 3 have different uses and they are all better than each other depending on the fight.

A niche rankup as your 1st R5 is always super smart

Is he really? I use my R4 in AW, AQ and Questing all the time. The XL means V2 is good to go. The Heal Block is very useful in AW for some mini bosses. He's never not of use for me. Great vs SW in Map 5 AQ or any path that has poison. Great vs Starburst in Map 6+. The few enemies he counters, he does it really well and even tho everyone has Blade, Gulk still does the job great. He's a great champ generally.
  • I use this team for the majority of my questing. The 5th slot rotates dependent on the map/path/boss/etc.

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Saiyan said:

Is he really? I use my R4 in AW, AQ and Questing all the time. The XL means V2 is good to go. The Heal Block is very useful in AW for some mini bosses. He's never not of use for me. Great vs SW in Map 5 AQ or any path that has poison. Great vs Starburst in Map 6+. The few enemies he counters, he does it really well and even tho everyone has Blade, Gulk still does the job great. He's a great champ generally.
    He absolutely is. I can use Hulkbuster in a lot of the situations you described but that doesnt make it a wise move.

Look if someone likes a champ and wants to rank them up, go for it it's not my account. Just bc you shoehorn a bad choice into a lot of areas doesn't negate the fact it's a bad choice though
  • TKS87TKS87 Posts: 375 ★★★
    edited December 2019
    Congrats! Not gonna lie I'm a little jealous I've been after ghulk for months now. I would/will r5 him when I pull him! I do have him 5/50 and I bring him into the monthly EQ's for fun, because I have a lot of fun using him. Enjoy!

Saiyan said:

He absolutely is. I can use Hulkbuster in a lot of the situations you described but that doesnt make it a wise move.

Look if someone likes a champ and wants to rank them up, go for it it's not my account. Just bc you shoehorn a bad choice into a lot of areas doesn't negate the fact it's a bad choice though
    Gulk is a bad choice? First time I heard that. As it was said, it's a VIDEO GAME and Video games when played as a hobby are supposed to be fun. Doing what others say is a good way to stop playing the game sooner than later.

If the dude wanted to R5 a Falcon cuz he's his favorite character let the man do it. I have a R4 OG Cap just cuz I enjoy the champ and how he plays. Everyone said not to do it but I've had him at R4 for over a year and I'm good to go.
  • TKS87TKS87 Posts: 375 ★★★

Saiyan said:

If you think hulkbuster is anywhere near ghulk you're tripping (at least for now, might be different when HB is buffed). Ghulk doesn't just rely on face me to be effective, so long as you're playing aggressively and keep his crowd excitement up he's hitting hard, and he's got pretty good utility on both his l1 and l2. The face me is a nice added bonus for some of the most annoying mechanics in the game, including Starburst, no retreat, E.m.p modification.. And of course the damage from champs like meph, domino, dorm, etc. Just because you might not like him does not make it a bad choice.
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★

You should see the gut with a r5 Groot then
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    TKS87 said:

Saiyan said:

If you think hulkbuster is anywhere near ghulk you're tripping (at least for now, might be different when HB is buffed). Ghulk doesn't just rely on face me to be effective, so long as you're playing aggressively and keep his crowd excitement up he's hitting hard, and he's got pretty good utility on both his l1 and l2. The face me is a nice added bonus for some of the most annoying mechanics in the game, including Starburst, no retreat, E.m.p modification.. And of course the damage from champs like meph, domino, dorm, etc. Just because you might not like him does not make it a bad choice.
    Gulk is absolutely not hitting hard without Face Me. Go ahead an take him up against a 250k 6.3 health pool without it and let me know how that goes. I'm aware how he works, I've had him at R4 for ages which is exactly where he'll be staying as well. I've got 19 R5s and 6 R2s and not once have I had the slightest desire to rank up Gulk.

Again, if you like him, great use him. Still not a wise choice compared to either ghost or hype duped or not.
  • BboychoboBboychobo Posts: 249 ★★
    i do ... and love him.. also have a 6 star sig level 40 one !!! tank .....
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    I have a R5 4* gulk LOL does that count?
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,390 ★★★★★

I'm not skilled enough with Ghost for it to make sense to R5 her + only have a 5* Ant-Man for synergy. As far as Hyp goes, he's not duped. If he was, I definitely would have chose him. I use Gulk for pretty much everything & team him w/ Thrag & Proxima for synergies. I chose him for his lengthy heal block (10 seconds), Enervate, poison immunity, chance to stun using sp1 AND sp2 ,Face Me mechanic, and the fact that he can cheat death w/ Thrag (twice if w/ Heimdall & Thrag.)

Hyp is awesome but it's annoying trying to keep his furies up without his dupe.

Also the Face Me mechanic may not be a factor in most fights, but when it is active my Gulk's attack increases +2500 and he instantly regens 70% of his health. It may be "niche" as you say, but it comes in handy a lot more than you realize.
    If you wanted long HB you should of R5 DarkHawk his sp3 grants 30 second HealBlock lol..Anyways congrats on him i am waiting for his 5* or 6* lol
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,898 ★★★★★

Boy, I think I would give you an aneurysm with my rank up decisions

But congrats OP, he’s a great champ and if you enjoy him that’s the main thing

• @CoryMatthewsTho Congrats on getting your 1st 5* to R5/65!! Gulk has plenty of uses, and is a great champ for Variant 2. Keep on grinding! Once you finish exploring V2, you'll get a R4-R5 Gem. You'll have a 5/6 chance of landing anyother class besides Science. So the odds are in your favor that you'll land another class for your next R5.

I've always said this, and I'll continue to say it, do what's best for YOUR progression. You needn't worry about other's opinions if you're happy with your choice. Enjoy the game, and keep on the keeping on! Personally, I chose CAIW over Ghost for my 1st R5/65. Granted, I recently took her to R5, but I have 0 regrets in putting her 3rd (pulled Domino in between and took her straight to R5, lol). Hopefully someday you'll dupe that Hyperion. Best of luck on that one!
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Congratulations -- that dude eluded me until maybe a week ago

Rank up who you like. Game is gonna end one day, no matter what any of us does. Do whatever makes you happy in it, because every day you don't is just wasted time in a finite cycle. We just don't know when it ends
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,242 ★★★★★
    Grats on your first R5.

As much as I feel that Ghost would have been a better rank up than Gulk, as long as it makes you happy and helps with your content clearing, by all means go ahead.

(I have a 6* R2 Gulk as well. Beast at doing the things he's designed to handle, Starburst, EMP etc.)