**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Can a new player be as good as a veteran player with enough time?

Just something i was pondering on. sometimes I think specified terminology for MCOC is hard to understand as i personally get easily lost especially when things become a lot serious also watching @Seatin on youtube it seems that there is a lot of knowledge to comprehend . I know it's a vague question but could a 2020 player be as good as a 2014 player

or does it vary on each player's ability?

Comments

• GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,807 ★★★★★
    On a personal level sure a new player can reach or exceed knowledge or skills of an older player. It depends on the time he spends and how much he ‘studies’ the game. But on average, older players are always going to be better than newer ones. That’s due to the game’s updating and adding abilities/content constantly. It’s obvious that older players have a serious advantage, cause they need to absorb less information than newer ones.
  • Karnz24Karnz24 Posts: 57
    I believe a new player can be as good as someone who ha been playing for years, it just depends on the characters you get, your masteries and the way you know how to fight to be honest
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,202 ★★★★
    Here's a different point:
    Some people have faster reflexes than others. A new player with this advantage can advance much faster to become on par with older players.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: But if you think it's gonna happen without putting in the work, then prepare to be disappointed

Anyone can play this game. Being good at this game requires practice, especially with Intercepting

You are not an elite player unless you can evade and intercept 90-plus percent of everything, in my opinion

I am not an elite player. I am simply good and experienced, and experience is there to be gained by anyone willing to put in the time
  • TKS87TKS87 Posts: 375 ★★★
    Sure. I mean, there are some older players who have never really taken the game super serious, they play at their own pace for recreation, and are only still around due to friends and the community. Whereas some new players might take the game far more serious, and jump into a more competitive scene. They do their research via YouTube and other resources so they can stay competitive. It really depends on players mind set and how they treat the game.

However, there are a lot of characters, nodes, abilities and interactions in this game. Even the most experienced players won't know everything about the game, but generally speaking people that have been around longer will know more about these things. That doesn't always translate to skill though. Knowing how to do something and actually executing it are two different things!
  • NerdNerdNerd1NerdNerdNerd1 Posts: 379 ★★★
    Yes, with enough skill. Now will they be able to have as wide of a roster or rankups no, but they will be able to beat all of the same content and aq/aw
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    edited December 2019
    Yes. There are some guys who have played the game for 4+ years and still don't have the skill to complete Act 5. New players can get through that in under a year if they have even mediocre abilities.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 913 ★★★
    Yes if you dedicate your life to this game like brian grant. LoL
  • Woody15Woody15 Posts: 544 ★★★
    I've learned to not worry about other players. It's not so much about catching up to them because they're getting better too. Just worry about how you progress and don't forget, it's just a game
  • GraydroxGraydrox Posts: 413 ★★★
    It depends on the veteran player a bit maybe. For example, if that vet is me, then of course. You're probably already better than me
  • SirmacoolSirmacool Posts: 389 ★★
    Not a chance. I’m a begin game player and still suck. Mediocre. Time didn’t make me a top player.
  • Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,305 ★★★
    Definitely
    It's possible
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    For sure, I am a 2018 player and I already have a ton of knowledge about the game and the different matchups. As for the skill level that depends from person to person. Not sure where I am at but I see myself as a higher than average player(can intercept safely like 95% of the time and dont really have trouble with the basics)
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★

For sure, I am a 2018 player and I already have a ton of knowledge about the game and the different matchups. As for the skill level that depends from person to person. Not sure where I am at but I see myself as a higher than average player(can intercept safely like 95% of the time and dont really have trouble with the basics)

That has always been the line, to me. When this game started, it was far simpler. You could just stand there and block, for the most part. No opponents had enough attack rating to really keep you from advancing

Then Thanos was introduced, which was a big deal at the time -- it was, because he decreased your attack so much and hit harder

But Act 4 and the Maestro was where it became obvious that you had to learn how to evade and intercept, along with Realm of Legends with the larger health pools and attack rating for that era

You can't be a great player at this game without Intercepting. There is content that you just won't be able to clear unless you just throw resources at it
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,151 ★★★★★

Just something i was pondering on. sometimes I think specified terminology for MCOC is hard to understand as i personally get easily lost especially when things become a lot serious also watching @Seatin on youtube it seems that there is a lot of knowledge to comprehend . I know it's a vague question but could a 2020 player be as good as a 2014 player

According to Zeno's Paradox, you can never catch a veteran player, only get closer and closer to them.

But, otherwise, certainly.
  • NEO_mr_AndersonNEO_mr_Anderson Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    Skills like dex, intercepting, parry, etc.. can be learn fast. Where the experience player is ahead, is....well, experience.
    Playing this game for a long time will make you know each champs, SPs.
    By playing arenas, and, doing content, you learn how and when to dex, parry, and, intercept different champs SPs.
    You don't dex the same way for a bullet shooter or a energy beam, for example.

FYI, Dorky Dave is way better than Seatin, to learn the basics of the game.
  • Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210
    Only if you spend
  • NCB_ptNCB_pt Posts: 291
    edited December 2019
    I already saw players with + one million accounts give the most deads in wars.

I already saw players with less than 400k accounts, with 5* R4 5* or bellow (or even 4*) not dying once.

So yes it's possible, skills are not for purchase. Need is some time to understand the mechanics of all the champions and best strategies to defeat them.
  • DeadmaddyDeadmaddy Posts: 123
    I have been playing for roughly 2 years and have 7 r5 champs. I know people with 4-5 year title with no r5 and few r4.
  • I know it's a vague question but could a 2020 player be as good as a 2014 player

Eventually yes and yes.

Veterans tend, on average, to have the advantage of experience and time to build roster, but that advantage isn't insurmountable. Beginners have advantages veterans didn't have. They can progress through the game faster than we did, so they aren't going to take the same amount of time to build up roster. They have more resources available to teach them game play skills. And they have the benefit of having others around to tell them things veterans had to figure out on their own. So their learning curve can be much faster.

You can probably neutralize most of the advantage veterans have in knowledge and experience in about year or so. It takes generally longer to build up roster, but beginners are building roster faster than veterans originally did: it won't take four years for them to get what the veterans built in four or five years. It'll probably take them closer to two, just because higher tier rewards and champions are much easier to acquire than originally.

The game lets you mostly catch up to the average veteran player in a year or two if you put in the time. After that, whether you can catch or overtake them depends on how much you play (or spend, or both) relative to them. Four or five years of gap sounds like a huge gap to overcome, but when you consider the advantages beginning players get it is more like a one to two year gap in real terms, and that's something you can overcome with dedicated play and learning.
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    edited December 2019
    there is a bunch of different answers to this.
    Could a F2P player come in today and catch up to a vet, even if they are F2P? Skill wise, sure but account wise, no. Could a big spender come in today and catch up to a vet F2P, absolutely. in a matter of a couple of months with a willingness to spend
    Could a big spender come in today and catch up to a vet who has always spent big, no chance.

the variable here though is the effort and the cost. A new player can blow by a vet if the vet is not completing the latest content. If the vet is actively 100% everything then no, the new player will never catch up outside of out spending