**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

War Defender Diversity

War should be about alliances putting their best fighters in the fray. In the event of a tie, defender diversity should break it, and understandably so. Losing to an opponent showcasing a weaker squad AND displaying a weaker performance in attack is absolutely ridiculous.

Comments

• Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210
    diversity makes alliances communicate which is beneficial for the game. No diversity equals less communication amongst and the same boring matchups all the time.
    Plus it works in Kabam's favor as if for example there were just a ton of annihilus', awakened domino's, awakened korgs etc then we would all get used to fighting them and when kabam use them for final bosses and problem fights in event quests and story mode then we would all breeze through
  • Elohim16Elohim16 Posts: 65
    Lvernon15 said:

Would you like to face only the 10 absolute worst defenders every war and spend triple the resources you do now? No? Didn’t think so

Of course I would, but I'd consider it actually pushing me to hone my abilities against certain champs. I don't usually opt to waste resources over skill enhancements.

Elohim16 said:

War should be about alliances putting their best fighters in the fray. In the event of a tie, defender diversity should break it, and understandably so. Losing to an opponent showcasing a weaker squad AND displaying a weaker performance in attack is absolutely ridiculous.

It’s not at all ridiculous. If they’re showcasing a weaker squad, you should be able to gain enough extra attack bonus to offset the increased diversity. If you don’t, you’re not as good as they are.

The diversity system works fine in my view. It adds a layer of strategy which means that it isn’t just those who have the best champs on defense that win. It’s about judging when it’s best to have multiple strong champs and when it’s best to bring weaker ones because the increased diversity score is more valuable than a stronger champ. It also encourages people to think about which champs work well on which nodes, so you can put up a strong defense as well as gain diversity, and rewards organisation and communication. But it doesn’t do it so much that it is the defining feature of wars. It only has influence when wars are close in terms of attack bonus and when both sides have fully cleared the map(s). In effect, it is the tiebreaker, but one that alliances have to choose to invest in or not as a tactical and organisational choice. It works far better than the system you’re proposing.

I really do understand that argument, but it doesn't change my view. You're basically saying that alliances with larger rosters should win if their performances are poorer, which is what my alliance sees happening more times than not. It seems that everyone will respond to this based on their experiences, which is fine. But going head to head, bringing your best to beat the best seems more like a war to me. And I'd wager that when alliances fighting the same champs over and over start to figure those champs out, it would force opponents to increase their diversity out of necessity. Now that's war.
    Owl_0wl said:

diversity makes alliances communicate which is beneficial for the game. No diversity equals less communication amongst and the same boring matchups all the time.
    Plus it works in Kabam's favor as if for example there were just a ton of annihilus', awakened domino's, awakened korgs etc then we would all get used to fighting them and when kabam use them for final bosses and problem fights in event quests and story mode then we would all breeze through

If alliances fought the same champs over and over, diversity would come into play out of necessity, once we all figured out how to beat the "biggest, baddest defenders." And Kabam uses crazy nodes to cover themselves, so I doubt they'd lose much there. If they wanted to, Kamala could easily be made into the absolute worse boss any of us has ever faced.
    Drenlin said:

Would you like some cheese with that whine

LOL No. Because this is Michelob Ultra, all day long.
  • ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 837 ★★★★
    There are enough good defenders to cover the nodes that get kills. Doesn’t really matter what defender you place if it’s an easy node.
    Thecurler said:

There are enough good defenders to cover the nodes that get kills. Doesn’t really matter what defender you place if it’s an easy node.

True. And that fact intensifies my questioning the importance of diversity, other than breaking an actual tie.
    Dueces said:

You must have not been here when AWD was based on the same 10 champs.

I remember one time we had 10 NCs in a BG, and they got over 30 kills. They wiped out an entire BG.

Correction: They wiped out an entire BG that couldn't handle Nightcrawler. Personally, I'd love to fight a slew of champs that I've figured out. Learning to defeat a champ is part of the game, at least for how I play it.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    edited December 2019
    Elohim16 said:

Dueces said:

I remember one time we had 10 NCs in a BG, and they got over 30 kills. They wiped out an entire BG.

Correction: They wiped out an entire BG that couldn't handle Nightcrawler. Personally, I'd love to fight a slew of champs that I've figured out. Learning to defeat a champ is part of the game, at least for how I play it.
    Correction, they wiped out a bg who didn’t have perfect night crawler counters which there weren’t many of back then and who weren’t willing to use their biggest boosts on a few shards
    Lvernon15 said:

Elohim16 said:

Dueces said:

Correction, they wiped out a bg who didn’t have perfect night crawler counters which there weren’t many of back then and who weren’t willing to use their biggest boosts on a few shards
    I'm not quite sure what a "Nightcrawler counter" is, so I'll give you that. But I learned that Nightcrawler is much easier to beat when you remove the idea of landing a 3 or more hit combo. I fight Nightcrawler with patience. Perhaps there wasn't much patience back then either.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    I really don’t want to go back to a place where my entire alliance has to invest in ranking up Korgs, Annihilus, And other champs of dubious questing value just put them on D. I vastly prefer placing a few key defenders and then whatever other champ no one else used that I don’t really need right now.
  • DarkMalachi2DarkMalachi2 Posts: 73
    Does anyone know how much greater your attack bonus should be, if your diversity is at its lowest while your opponent's diversity is at its max?
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★

Does anyone know how much greater your attack bonus should be, if your diversity is at its lowest while your opponent's diversity is at its max?

There’s no “lowest” diversity (theoretically there is, which is 5 x 3 = 15, but highly highly unlikely).

The easiest way to calculate it would be:
    (150 - Current Diversity) x 25 / 80, then round up the answer.
  • xNig said:

There’s no “lowest” diversity (theoretically there is, which is 5 x 3 = 15, but highly highly unlikely).

The easiest way to calculate it would be:
    (150 - Current Diversity) x 25 / 80, then round up the answer.
    It is 30 points per diversity placement. So the correct way to calculate would be:

(Their Diversity - Our Diversity) * 3 / 8.
  • ECOMAECOMA Posts: 328 ★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Would you like to face only the 10 absolute worst defenders every war and spend triple the resources you do now? No? Didn’t think so

I'd like the game to be skill based yes.

Elohim16 said:

fun numbers:
    1 attack bonus = 80pts
    1 defender diversity bonus= 30pts

that means: 3 kills = +8 diverse defenders

if your "best" defenders or your "best" offensive showing can't offset that, then they weren't all that weaker to begin with, were they?
    I really do understand the arguments/rationales. And I still disagree. Let’s reverse everything, saying that an alliance opponent used nothing but champs considered to be the weakest in the game, but they never used the same champ more than once. Then my alliance took it further and repeatedly used the five absolute weakest champs in the game. Do we get an advantage in doing so? Of course not.
    It’s like arguing why golfers with sufficient handicaps should be able to beat Tiger Woods in a Major. Or a boxer wearing two pound gloves can be declared the winner when scoring fewer points in a bout. Or a tennis player can beat Roger Federer by winning two games to Federer’s six because of using a wooden racket. I understand the thinking, and I still say a victory goes to the victor. Not the one who came close to winning. In the event of a tie, I’m good with Federer losing the set because his opponent used a wooden racket. I’m good with a boxer losing if the points are tied, but one boxer wore heavier gloves. And if a guy who never parred a golf course is tied with the top of a leaderboard, I say give him the win.
    Just let alliances go at each other, however they want. Diversity should be tie breakers.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★
    Elohim16 said:

If you lose to a "Weaker" alliance, is it really them who is weaker, or yourself? Losing is 100% on you and your alliance. Don't ask to change the rules because you can't win with the current ones. Get better, become more diverse and stop dying as much.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★
    Elohim16 said:

Elohim16 said:

fun numbers:
    1 attack bonus = 80pts
    1 defender diversity bonus= 30pts

that means: 3 kills = +8 diverse defenders

if your "best" defenders or your "best" offensive showing can't offset that, then they weren't all that weaker to begin with, were they?
    I really do understand the arguments/rationales. And I still disagree. Let’s reverse everything, saying that an alliance opponent used nothing but champs considered to be the weakest in the game, but they never used the same champ more than once. Then my alliance took it further and repeatedly used the five absolute weakest champs in the game. Do we get an advantage in doing so? Of course not.
    It’s like arguing why golfers with sufficient handicaps should be able to beat Tiger Woods in a Major. Or a boxer wearing two pound gloves can be declared the winner when scoring fewer points in a bout. Or a tennis player can beat Roger Federer by winning two games to Federer’s six because of using a wooden racket. I understand the thinking, and I still say a victory goes to the victor. Not the one who came close to winning. In the event of a tie, I’m good with Federer losing the set because his opponent used a wooden racket. I’m good with a boxer losing if the points are tied, but one boxer wore heavier gloves. And if a guy who never parred a golf course is tied with the top of a leaderboard, I say give him the win.
    Just let alliances go at each other, however they want. Diversity should be tie breakers.
    Diversity is one of the scored criteria that prevents ties from even happening in the first place as are the rest of the scored criteria. They don't want a large amount of ties from happening, thats why there are 5 categories that score points.

Kabam almost go rid of diversity a while back. The community made them change their mind because people ranked champs for war diversity. If they didn't change it then, they sure won't change it now. Like I said before, don't die more than the other team and there won't be a reason for diversity to matter.
    Like I said before, don't die more than the other team and there won't be a reason for diversity to matter.

If only that were true. That's why I posted this. We don't die more.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    Here’s the problem, which would be your word and not mine - you’re probably at a low enough level that few defenders are maxed and nodes aren’t strong. Attackers typically outrank defenders, and at lower tiers, nodes aren’t strong enough to compensate. They also don’t feature node combinations that make the “tough” defenders truly tough. A Thing on node 1 with no meaningful benefit will die to a comparable attacker even with mistakes in the fight. That’s true for 40-45 of the 55 nodes on the map. Those nodes should all be filled with diverse placements no matter what. If your group is deep enough to diversify the rest, it should. The difference between facing defenders 1-5 in difficulty and placing #1 5 times is negligible, so take the points and diversify.