**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What is the best strategy

Hi. So I could use some feedback about my actions, I have 3->4 and 4->5 tech gem but no characters I'd like to use them on. I want to hold them for Darkhawk, Warlock, Mysterio or Guillotine 2099. 3 of those characters are in the basic and guilly will be added mid February, but two of them are in the featured crystal, so my question is what do you think is the best strategy to get on of them?

Note: I'm not a sigil owner nor I intend to be one

What is the best strategy 43 votes

Open basics
69%
RagamugginGunnerNifzTerraOrcDovahkiinSpiderCoolsRoronoaZoro23SunilDarurIncitatus666Grootman1294shadow_lurker22zeezee57RakeYoungSmashTehsigzorzFhfjghhggggjfhfjgDead1ChampSlayerGreekhitWade420wilson69Massapeal 30 votes
Open featured
23%
ArcDeAngelusallinashesPegasusB_Dizzle_01FenicoHedronMonty_E_1Zardok433eGiodood_1Plinko 10 votes
Save till guilly is added to basic pool
6%
Battle_GreninjaEtjamadman0251 3 votes

Comments

• RakeYoungRakeYoung Posts: 472 ★★★
    Open basics
    just go basics, you still might not even pull the champs you want, but there are other great Techs worthy of r5.

seeing as the champs you mention have immunity's, there is also Sentinel who is also worth r5 even unduped.
  • BonzodavidBonzodavid Posts: 586 ★★★
    Open basics
    It depends on how many 5* you own.
    From featured you can get specific champions but you can also get some of the worst in the game.
    I reccomend basics because they're cheaper and there's also a chance to get beyond god tier champs.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    Open basics
    RakeYoung said:

just go basics, you still might not even pull the champs you want, but there are other great Techs worthy of r5.

seeing as the champs you mention have immunity's, there is also Sentinel who is also worth r5 even unduped.

sentinel is just okish and his playstyle sucks! hes for clunky and big
  • RakeYoungRakeYoung Posts: 472 ★★★
    Open basics

RakeYoung said:

If thats how you feel, i wouldnt try to change your mind.

But doesnt change the fact that Sentinel has great utility and surviveability.

Personally i'm not a fan of Dominos move set with the double gunshot medium but i can still recognize that she is a damage powerhouse.
  • Psy26Psy26 Posts: 159
    RakeYoung said:

I have sentinel as a 5 star and 6 star but both are unduped. I really love him but without awakening I don't see a reason to r5 him

Maybe this screenshot will give a bit more feedback
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    Open basics

RakeYoung said:

Hes amazing and carried me all throughout every variant and 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 so dont say hes average when hes clearly not. Hes a utility god and pretty tanky with great damage as well. The playstyle is extremely subjective as I love him because when ramping him up you are always doing dmg unlike other champs like sparky. With the dupe you dont even need to hit into their block.
  • allinashesallinashes Posts: 787 ★★★
    Open featured
    But prepare for disappointment. I opened 16 of the last featured for a plethora of patriots, fists and Juggs. No Warlock. So far on this featured I've pulled OG Iron Man.
    Pegasus said:

Just open the 1 Featured every Black ISO market reset. I got Guilly2099 on first open. Last month was terrible. Pulled Bishop and Sabertooth 10 times between the 2 and Warlock/Sunspot once.

You missed the part where I said I'm not a sigil owner but thanks for the input
  • NerdNerdNerd1NerdNerdNerd1 Posts: 379 ★★★
    Open basics
    This featured is awful, only buy if sigil featured
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Open basics
    First of all, basics are a better purchase overall if u don’t own sigil.
    Second, try avoid saving rank up resources for specific champs. You may not pull them for several months sabotaging your progress. Work your way with what u have. There are plenty of techs worth these rank up gems. Probably you will have at least one that can help u clear content. Sentinel is a great option for example, as he can bring you easily Variant 3 exploration. Hold on to useful resources on a game that is on a rush, is really a bad tactics. Unless you want to invest your progress out of luck.
  • In general the best strategy is to open basics, simply because they are cheaper which means you will have more 5* champion pulls. Given no other information, that's the best strategy. Remember that not only is every 5* pull potentially a good 5*, it is also potentially duping a 5* for 6* shards. Losing 50% of your 6* shards from duping by going for featureds is another cost of featureds worth considering.

The more sophisticated strategy is to look at the list of the champions in the 5* basic and the 5* featured, and count how many of each you would actually want to pull. For the featured crystal to be the better option the average number of "good" pulls needs to be higher. Figure out what percentage of the basic is "good" and multiply by three: figure out what percentage of the featured is "good" and multiply by two. Open whichever is higher. Note that these percentages could change with each pull.

How do you define a "good" pull? That's the million dollar question. For some people, it is pulling a "game changing" champ, whatever that means in your particular situation (only you can answer that). For me, a "good pull" is a) a strong champ that fills an important roster hole for me I don't have, b) awakening an unawakened champ that benefits greatly from awakening, c) any champ I don't have, d) first time awakening of any champ, and e) duping a champ I'm trying to max sig level on, in that order. Everything else is everything else.

Unfortunately, no one can really do that kind of analysis for your own situation except you.
    Deciding which crystal to open for me is 50% math, and 50% gut instinct based on the math, given that criteria.