**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Bleed damage type

nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★
Just a quick question about bleed damage.
Is bleed damage reduced by any of Energy/Physical resistance?

Comments

• Thi101Thi101 Posts: 808 ★★★
    Bleed damage usually is related to the opponent’s base attack.

So I don’t think these works
    If something, the only thing I can see working is Weakness, that decreases the opponent’s attack rating, but I’m not sure if this works.

If the bleed damage is based on the BASE attack rating, I’m afraid there’s nothing that can reduce it’s damage (unless your champion has Bleed Resistance)
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    No it is not.
  • nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★
    Thanks for clarification.
  • theMercenarytheMercenary Posts: 643 ★★★
    It it says direct damage and it won’t. And it’s related with not just base attack, but your current attack too.

For example; if you’re fighting in power shield node and using archangel. You’ll see that bleeds you inflicted is way more than regular ones. Or give it a try in Icarus node. Your damage is increasing and your bleeds are increasing too.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Thi101 said:

Bleed damage usually is related to the opponent’s base attack.

So I don’t think these works
    If something, the only thing I can see working is Weakness, that decreases the opponent’s attack rating, but I’m not sure if this works.

If the bleed damage is based on the BASE attack rating, I’m afraid there’s nothing that can reduce it’s damage (unless your champion has Bleed Resistance)

Weakness debuff will do the trick, as well as anything that reduces damage or duration of bleeds or debuffs (coagulate mastery, CW passive ability, TM passive ability, OR bleed resistance, Rogue/Groot shrugging off debuffs faster). Immortality sig of Thanos to.
  • solopolosolopolo Posts: 883 ★★★
    Bleed is unaffected by any defensive stat. It's usually dependant on the user's attack, so any effect that reduces or increases your attack will affect your bleeds equally.

The only defensive exception I can think of besides bleed-specific or debuff resistances and immunity is Invisible Woman's forcefield, which absorbs damage for her, rather than reduce it.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,348 ★★★★★
    nOux said:

Just a quick question about bleed damage.
    Is bleed damage reduced by any of Energy/Physical resistance?

Whilst Physical resistance/Armour doesn't ordinarily affect bleed damage, there are a few champs with types of Bleed Resistance (mostly mutants):
    • Gambit, Beast, Goldpool and Omega Red all have varying degrees of Bleed Resistance
    • Civil Warrior's armour grants stacks of Bleed/Poison resistance
    • Iron Man Infinity War goes one better - he becomes fully Bleed immune when his Armour is active
    • Similarly, Corvus Glaive takes no damage from bleed debuffs whilst his Immortality is active (but is fully affected by passive bleed effects, like Nightcrawler's Deep Wounds)
    Aside from those champs, Invisible Woman's forcefield is the best example of an ability that reduces all damage, including Bleed.
  • solopolo said:

Bleed is unaffected by any defensive stat. It's usually dependant on the user's attack, so any effect that reduces or increases your attack will affect your bleeds equally.

The only defensive exception I can think of besides bleed-specific or debuff resistances and immunity is Invisible Woman's forcefield, which absorbs damage for her, rather than reduce it.

Bleed damage is usually defined to be direct damage, which means neither physical nor energy resistance works against it. Armor only works against damage that is the direct result of an attack (as opposed to an effect) which means armor doesn't generally work against bleed damage (because bleed damage generally comes from damage over time effects).

Hypothetically if Kabam ever makes a champion with an attack that deals bleed damage on contact, that should be reduced by armor (I believe Nightcrawler doesn't count because his Deep Wound instant bleed is still due to an effect, albeit an instantaneous one). It is also theoretically possible for Kabam to create a bleed effect that deals physical damage, although I'm unaware of any such thing at the moment.

"Types" are a bit tricky in MCOC, mostly because players often assume that types are exclusive when they are not or vice versa. In this case, "Bleed" is just a type of damage or effect, independent of types like "physical" or "energy" or "direct." It isn't that Bleed bypasses or ignores physical and energy resistance, it is that Bleed is orthogonal to those types. Whether a bleed effect is affected by physical or energy resistance has to do with whether the damage is *also* typed energy, physical, or something else (like direct). If the damage is flagged with the corresponding type that type of resistance works, if not it doesn't.