**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How does "The Best Defense" node on AW affect champs that have auto evade or block?

For example, Nightcrawler has a 22% chance to evade attacks (37% against physical attacks). Would placing him, someone who already has auto evade, on the best defense node give him a 42% chance (57% against physical) to evade? Or would it be a 1.2x, or 26.4%, chance to evade (44.4% on physical attacks)?

Comments

• SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    Good question. Since kabam reinvents math often Im not sure on this one
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    edited January 2020
    Agentk said:

Seeing as it doesn’t say a flat 40% chance I’m inclined to go with the 26.4% chance although you never know

It doesnt say flat 42% chance but the node does say it grants champs and additional +20% to evade. So the "42%" comes from Nightcrawler's unique ability, 22% chance to evade, PLUS the 20%.

However, this is just a guess. The second guess would be the 26.4% chance (1.2 multiplier). If this was the case, then champions who cannot evade should not be granted evade on this node since 0.0 × 1.2 = 0.0%....unless Kabam treats evade champions differently than non-evade ones. That would be weird though
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Agentk said:

Seeing as it doesn’t say a flat 40% chance I’m inclined to go with the 26.4% chance although you never know

It doesnt say flat 42% chance but the node does say it grants champs and additional +20% to evade. So the "42%" comes from Nightcrawler's unique ability, 22% chance to evade, PLUS the 20%.

However, this is just a guess. The second guess would be the 26.4% chance (1.2 multiplier). If this was the case, then champions who cannot evade should not be granted evade on this node since 0.0 × 1.2 = 0.0%....unless Kabam treats evade champions differently than non-evade ones. That would be weird though
    There's actually a third possibility; that the defender gets evade and auto-block abilities with 20% chance to trigger, independent of their other abilities. I don't run that path so I haven't seen its effects, but you technically can't add ability accuracy to an ability the champ doesn't have. So it is possible the node just multiplies all the ability accuracy values for evade and autoblock abilities by 1.2, which means if you couldn't before you can't now, or it adds 0.2 (i.e. 20%) to all ability accuracy values for evade and autoblock abilities, which means if you couldn't before you still can't now, or it grants the defender an evade and autoblock ability with 20% chance to trigger, which means if you couldn't before you can now, and it also means if you could before you have two shots at doing it now. So Nightcrawler would get one chance to evade at 20% and another at 22%, which is tantamount to saying he would have a 37.6% chance to evade.

And it is also possible the nodes does in fact treat champs with evade differently from those without, since as mentioned you can't actually buff the chance to evade if there's no actual evade ability present. But as I have very limited experience with this node I don't have enough observational data to rule any possibility out.
  • PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
    The best comparison I can think of is the Hulk/BW synergy interaction, which gives a chance to stun on specials. There was speculation it would be cumulative with Hulk's existing chance to stun on specials for a 100% chance, but instead they provided two chances to stun - you'd get the built-in chance from Hulk AND the 20% from the synergy - so they could be stunned from Hulk, OR stunned from the synergy, OR have them both fail, OR have them both succeed (resulting in two stun debuffs).

As @DNA3000 suggested, if they logic holds, the likely thing is two separate evade interactions.