**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

HELP, Doesn't FISTICUFFS effect both champs???

KeepinItRealKeepinItReal Posts: 229
edited January 2020 in Strategy and Tips

I was messing around using Void in Variant 3, 2.1 vs GHulk on FISTICUFFS (30 secs). How does GHulk continue to get Smash w/out Face Me activating (Passive Buff) while Voids Debuffs (Passive too) don't stick or work against him? (Thought it might be bc Voids passive debuffs damage, but that's not how GHulk usually works vs Void when I play him) Am I missing something in the buff nodes/champs interaction or is this a bug. Thanks if u can explain this. (Hope I didn't miss something bc I did "read the nodes" lol)

Comments

• KeepinItRealKeepinItReal Posts: 229
    edited January 2020

Here's GHulk "Smashing while FISTICUFFS is active. Yet my GHulk doesn't Smash.
    edited January 2020

@Haji_Saab But Voids Debuffs are Passive too. It's in his description. Always understood Buffs & Debuffs as both Active (white border) or Passive? I just Dueled my GHulk vs Void & he does take Debuff damage without activating Face Me Smash,...so GHulk smashing on Fisticuffs isn't from that ability.
  • OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 872 ★★★★
    edited January 2020
    @KeepinItReal

Buffs/Debuffs = ACTIVE effects

Passives = PASSIVE effects

There is no such thing as a passive buff or a passive debuff.

Void places different Intimidating Presence DEBUFFS (i.e., petrify) which are then converted into a Fear Of The Void PASSIVE. As you said, this is all there in his description.

Ghulk's Smash effect is PASSIVE - so it's not stopped by fisticuffs, which only affects DEBUFFS. Your own Ghulk probably wasn't activating Smash due to poor RNG or simply not meeting the requirements for Smash to trigger.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★

@Haji_Saab But Voids Debuffs are Passive too. It's in his description. Always understood Buffs & Debuffs as both Active (white border) or Passive? I just Dueled my GHulk vs Void & he does take Debuff damage without activating Face Me Smash,...so GHulk smashing on Fisticuffs isn't from that ability.

Void can PASSIVELY give the opponent DEBUFFS, so in the end, void's abilities gives the opponent debuffs, the description says so "... 1 random debuff."
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,245 ★★★★★
    edited January 2020
    Ok OP, I think you're a little confused. Let me clarify it for you. =P

Void places an ACTIVE Intimidating Presence debuff on the opponent every 10 seconds, and after using SP1.

After the opponent has 2 of each ACTIVE Intimidating Presence debuff, all of these ACTIVE debuffs are combined into a PASSIVE Fear of the Void.

Since Fistcuffs prevent ACTIVE debuffs from being applied, Void will not be able to inflict his ACTIVE Intimidating Presence debuffs on Gulk. However, you'll still be able to inflict the PASSIVE Fear of the Void on him if you fulfill certain conditions (e.g. synergy with Vision).

Also, SMASH from Gulk is a PASSIVE ability, which is why it is able to be activated despite having Fistcuffs.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
    edited February 2020
    @xNig @Championcritic @Haji_Saab @Octoberstack Big thanks for clearly explaining that. Alot of things will make more sense now! Lol
    ACTIVE: Buff & Debuffs vs
    PASSIVE: Effects/Abilities

I thought it was Active or Passive Buffs or Debuffs. What also confused me is I always hear Voids Intimidating Presence Debuffs are Passive (& the IP Debuff Explanation is under "PASSIVE" Area of Description) But it's actually only FOV that's passive ability,...which obviously can't activate without the Debuffs being applied 1st. Then Ghulks Smash is a passive ability, not Buff,...that's why he can activate it. Am I understanding this correctly? Bc some Buffs/Debuffs on champs, then Buffs on Local/Global Nodes + Passive Ability interactions still throw me off at times. LoL :smiley: