**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What’s your criteria in applying generic AG?

ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
Generic AG is (or was, depends your view or star level) something precious in game. Here I’m talking about 4* and 5* generic AG. I guess many ppl tends to keep it a while instead of using it immediately when they got 4/5* generic AG. However, the value of generic AG is depreciating with time if you compare the 4* generic AG 2 years ago with now. (This example is related to those who have already played the game for over few years)

So, what’s your criteria in applying generic AG? Have you shortlisted a champ(s) which you will apply the generic AG? How to maximise the time value of this AG?

Comments

• PlinkoPlinko Posts: 173 ★★
    I agree with everything Freetoplay_21 said. The only thing I add for myself personally is that I usually use them on a featured champion that isn't in the basic crystals yet since it'll be awhile before they can be duped without rolling lots of featured crystal duds. I got lucky and rolled a doom a couple months ago and used a gem on him.
  • KaruseusKaruseus Posts: 528 ★★
    edited February 2020
    In my case

1. Is the champ useless without sig ability
    2. Do i like/enjoy using the champ
    3. Does the champ needs to be awakened, but no need for high sig level
    4. Do i have enough stones if the sig level needs to be high

I ended up using gem on taskmaster not blade because i just simply enjoy using taskmaster more

And blade don’t need sig if you don’t care about regen
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Thanks for the feedbacks and comments above!

The criteria from everyone above are reasonable. Definitely if player have particular love/preference on a specific champ then he/she will have no second thought and apply the generic AG immediately. Excluding this reason, then I have few thoughts to share and see how you tackle it.

1. It is relatively easy if I have already got all the champs before making the decision. However, the reality is that most of us don’t have such luck or wallet like COWhales. So most of the time we pull one champ followed by another after certain period, and that’s why there is a temptation of putting the generic AG on hold until “someday” or “some champ(s)” arrived. So, how do you make that decision? (e.g. a player decided to apply on Aegon and thus only wait until Aegon comes? or selected few duped-worthy champs and then apply on first come first serve basis?)

2. Other than generic AG, you have class AG. How do you differentiate the awakening criteria between two AG?

3. As I mentioned, I think the AG have “time value” and it is depreciating. 4* generic AG was still quite valuable 2 years ago for long time players, but now it become nice to have given the level gate after Act 5 and it is easier to obtain AG now. (Sure I know 4* AG still valuable for new player now). E.g. I save my 4* generic AG for over 2 years till now but almost all my 4* in roster have been duped. So would you incorporate the time factor into consideration? When I look at my 5* generic AG, I just wonder when would be the best time to apply.
  • FreeToPlay_21FreeToPlay_21 Posts: 1,594 ★★★★
    edited February 2020
    Reference said:

Thanks for the feedbacks and comments above!

The criteria from everyone above are reasonable. Definitely if player have particular love/preference on a specific champ then he/she will have no second thought and apply the generic AG immediately. Excluding this reason, then I have few thoughts to share and see how you tackle it.

1. It is relatively easy if I have already got all the champs before making the decision. However, the reality is that most of us don’t have such luck or wallet like COWhales. So most of the time we pull one champ followed by another after certain period, and that’s why there is a temptation of putting the generic AG on hold until “someday” or “some champ(s)” arrived. So, how do you make that decision? (e.g. a player decided to apply on Aegon and thus only wait until Aegon comes? or selected few duped-worthy champs and then apply on first come first serve basis?)

2. Other than generic AG, you have class AG. How do you differentiate the awakening criteria between two AG?

3. As I mentioned, I think the AG have “time value” and it is depreciating. 4* generic AG was still quite valuable 2 years ago for long time players, but now it become nice to have given the level gate after Act 5 and it is easier to obtain AG now. (Sure I know 4* AG still valuable for new player now). E.g. I save my 4* generic AG for over 2 years till now but almost all my 4* in roster have been duped. So would you incorporate the time factor into consideration? When I look at my 5* generic AG, I just wonder when would be the best time to apply.

Disclaimer: This only applies when you're trying to make the best decision possible, regardless of what you feel about playing a certain champion. If you like a less impactful champion a lot, please go with them, it's all right.

It's gonna be a long time before the time value of a 5* generic awakening gem goes down considerably, possibly years. I don't think you should be worrying about it's value going down as of now.

As for the difference between using a class awakening gem and a generic gem. It depends on how valuable the champion itself is. You should always follow the tier lists loosely, but I'd be lying if I said that they weren't helpful in making these decisions, so take a look at Seatin's tier list and only use the generic on God tier/Beyond God tier champions.

I'm just gonna list the champions who I think are worthy of a generic.

•Omega Red (spore damage)
    •Namor (damage reflection)
    •Archangel (neurotoxin AAR)
    •Ægon (carries over combos)
    •Nick Fury (LMD, enhanced damage)
    •Blade (regeneration)
    •Hyperion (increased buff duration)
    •Medusa (gains furies and auto block)
    •Sparky (increased potency on poise and AI)
    •Void (*I don't know what it does but it's important*)
    •Cap IW (different effects on parries)

Use them on these champions if you have most of the above champions awakened, or haven't pulled them.

•Colossus (*don't know what it does but it's important)
    •Night Thrasher (gains furies when taunt is active)
    •Darkhawk (*don't know what it does but it's important)
    •Ghost Rider (furies on one of the judgements)
    •Doctor Voodoo (effects on odd/even combo)
    •Star Lord (damage and block prof. increase based on combo)
    •Sentinel (20 analysis charges on baiting out same special)
    •IMIW (power gain at or below 15%)
    •Doctor Octopus (*don't know what it does but it's really important*)

Now of course, if you have a specific class gem and a generic to choose from, always go for the class one since it's more common than the generic.

• My criteria is one 1. How long it took for me to get the first I'll and if I feel itll take just that long to dupe them. 2. If they are someone I enjoy using and has a big benefit from their sig.
  • mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 980 ★★★★
    I agree with everything others here have said, but I'll add one more criteria that I personally apply based on where I'm at in the game, and that is that the champ has to be at 5/65 already.

Here's my logic, and again, it doesn't apply to everyone. I currently have 20 5/65 or 6/25 champs.

When I'm facing content that is difficult, there's not going to be a circumstance, at least on my roster, where a 4/55 is going to take the place of a 5/65 (unless it's for a synergy, in which case I'm not expecting much from that champ).

To that end, I wait until a champ is 5/65 before using a gem, because frankly, it still takes time to get the resources to take a champ that high, especially if you're free to play. So hypothetically if I got a Ægon today, who arguably has the biggest benefit to being awakened, I still wouldn't use a gem on him until he was at 5/65, because in the time it could take to rank him that high, perhaps a new champ get released with similar kit, and you pull that champ and decide to take him to 5/65 instead. Now you've used a generic gem, one of the most precious resources in the game, on a champ you're not likely using as much.

Again, maybe that's just me, but for where I'm at, no 5* gems get used, not even class specific, until he's at 5/65.
  • I have one criteria in general for using any extremely hard to get resource, which depending on where you are in the game awakening gems of some tier could be one of those.

Am I about to awaken a champion that I intend to use right now, such that having them awakened offers a huge advantage to me.

If yes, yes, if no, no. Basically, this one criteria encapsulates many of the other criteria above (does the champion need to be awakened, do they need high sig and you have the sig stones, etc) but adds one additional specific one: do you intend to make use of that awakened ability immediately for some measurable benefit. Even mgj's criteria above is related to this one: if the champ is at rank 1 so you aren't going to be using him yet, and you think he really needs to be rank 4 or higher to really use him in the content you want to use him in, but you don't have the cats to rank him up, don't bother awakening either. Wait until you get him ranked up or have the cats to do so, because you aren't planning on using him until then.

Never, ever awaken a champ just because the champ "deserves it" but you don't intend to use, like today. Because if you pull that champ again between when you use the gem and when you ultimately use the champ for something, you're going to be sad: the gem will basically have zero benefit. Conversely if you use it on a champ you intend to use right now, and you get a lot of benefit from that champ, and *then* you naturally dup him like two weeks later, you won't feel as bad because you still got something for that gem.

To put it another way, don't use awakening gems on champs that will benefit most, use them on champs that will benefit you the most right now.
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    For me it’s pretty simple, I only consider three things most of the time.
    1) Do I intend to take them to 5/65?
    2) Is it a champion I really like using?
    3) Is there anybody else that I want more and don’t have? With a class gem, I would ask myself if there’s anybody else in that class that I care about, because there are quite a few top champs that I really don’t like, so whilst one person might use the gem on them I would never consider it myself.

If I’m definitely going to R5 someone in particular though and their signature ability provides a decent benefit (even if they don’t necessarily need it like Ægon does) then yes, I would probably use the gem on them. If I have nobody else in mind who I’d take up then I see no reason why I should hold onto it. I might as well awaken the champ that I’m already using a lot so that they can offer more to my teams and help me to clear more content.
  • TheInfintyTheInfinty Posts: 1,382 ★★★★
    edited February 2020
    Honestly it has to be a champ I like to play to give a generic. for example void he is a extremely powerful champion who NEEDS a high sig I will pump the sig stones in if I dupe him naturally but would I use a awakening gem on him no I don’t like playing with him at all but that just my opinion.But say Luke Cage I would rather use a generic on Luke Cage because I enjoy playing him Buts it’s all just down to what you want to do with your roster the end of the day it’s your chose but that’s just my two cents
    @mgj0630 I share the same view with yours. 5 months before I was thinking to apply that Gen AG on CAIW, but then I hold up and decided to do so only when I r4 him. I r4 him last month and fortunately I got Science AG from last month events too, thus saving the Gen AG. Whilst I agreed with all of the points raised from posts above, it seems this criteria suits me the most at the moment.

Ive only gotten 2 generic 5 star awakening gems in my time. Used them on corvus and nick fury. Absolutely no regrets with corvus and it was before his sig really showed value. My criteria was at the time he is my top champ, i use him for everything and if like some shiny silver stars and more utility.

Now the criteria is if the champs sig ability is essential to them being useful

Good choices indeed.
  • Fugitive21Fugitive21 Posts: 221
    Nothing. If you are going to use that character what the difference if its a generic or a class specific.
    The purpose of this post is not to comment on who you have applied the Gen AG finally, but rather the thought process and criteria on when and how to utilise this Gen AG at its best.