**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Pay to Play advantage- Uncollected arena

2»

Comments

• NDK13NDK13 Posts: 620 ★★
    Sungj wrote: »
    Big spenders have always had an advantage this doesn't increase the gap by that much since this is available to a majority of players. It's time vs money if you are willing to play 24/7 you can still become a high tier player without spending. Look at Brian Grant on youtube he plays smart and is free to play, he regularly grinds out featured 4 stars, is in a top alliance and has done the first path of LOL looking at 100% without spending a dime so you really don't have to spend to go far in this game if you put in the time.

Brian grant is not a good example for a f2p player. He actually makes a living out of this game unlike other f2p players who don't. He practically lives in game.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    NDK13 wrote: »

Brian grant is not a good example for a f2p player. He actually makes a living out of this game unlike other f2p players who don't. He practically lives in game.

I get other f2p players can't spend that much time that's why I said if you are willing to play 24/7 which most people aren't. I was just saying that you don't have to pay to get to the top and Brian Grant is an example of that regardless of circumstance. There are other examples but he is just the most well known.
  • SaltyNuttzSaltyNuttz Posts: 7
    The haters will hate.. I'm new to the game and have made two small purchases on Parker's Wallets when I got my head in the game and stopped spending units on crystals that always pop me a 2*. I myself am a developer and can see the amount of work that has gone into making this game. And as a free download, for gameplay that is addictive, enjoyable and in the few months I've been playing, updated with new content .. Kabam has a good business model tied to the game which is what pays people's saleries, good on the table and Lambo's in the garage... Don't hate.. appreciate..

Minus the bugs
  • DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    Big spenders have always had an advantage this doesn't increase the gap by that much since this is available to a majority of players.

One of the members in my friend's alliance collected 50 000+ *FIVE* star shards today just by opening a ton of these crystals.

It's pay to win even more now and the gap's much wider.
  • DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
    In the past whales would have to buy 100 PHCs to get 1 4* champ (and 275 5* shards).

Now they can buy 100 Grand Master crystals and get 10 4* champs and 2750 5* shards.

Now you spend twice as much units but get 10x the rewards.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    DD2 wrote: »
    Big spenders have always had an advantage this doesn't increase the gap by that much since this is available to a majority of players.

One of the members in my friend's alliance collected 50 000+ *FIVE* star shards today just by opening a ton of these crystals.

50000 5 star shards? That's 181 4 stars, about 1455 crystals (assuming 8% rate), which is 291000 units, almost 10k dollars spent?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    In the past whales would have to buy 100 PHCs to get 1 4* champ (and 275 5* shards).

Now they can buy 100 Grand Master crystals and get 10 4* champs and 2750 5* shards.

Now you spend twice as much units but get 10x the rewards.

At that rate outside of getting lucky it will cost about $2350 to get one 5* champ. Having one 5* basic champ more than me is not a statistical sizeable roster advantage. You'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy a significant advantage.

And then you have to rank them up. Unless you are using them for featured arena fodder, those 5* champs are not a genuine competitive advantage unless you can rank them up to at least 3/45, and they only become a significant advantage at 4/55. Once you buy all those 5* champions with tens of thousands of dollars of cash, how do you rank them up? You can't just buy T2A or T4CC, at least not in sustained sizeable quantities. This attempt to buy an advantage has an intrinsic bottleneck you cannot just purchase past with unlimited funds.

You can spend and you can get something for your money, but you cannot extend that gap of progress beyond the rest of the playerbase indefinitely. You still have to work your way past other progressional bottlenecks other than the 5* shard one.
  • the chance to get 5* is not so big i think, but i lucky enough to duped my 5* WS after open 6 crystal :D. but... after that i buy again some crystal and get nothing.

2xfn3ycr7kvz.jpeg
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★

Um I call a bit of bs with that number, 50,000 5 star shards from duping max four stars is 91 four star champions. With the odds of 10% for a four star which is what it generally is seen as at this point thats 182 000 units worth of crystals. If someone spent 6 thousand dollars in one day for crystals they deserve all the rewards they got and they do not represent even the top whales because that is an unheard of amount of spending in one day. If whales get 10x the rewards for spending free to play players also get 10x the rewards. I don't know why people are so upset whales are getting an edge when it doesn't effect their gameplay. Even legends titles aren't all won by whales good f2p players still win legends titles so there is literally no reason to hate on people spending, they are the ones keeping the game going and if they are willing to spend so much they should be rewarded
  • Those r some cool shards
  • Kronos987654321Kronos987654321 Posts: 584 ★★★

Um I call a bit of bs with that number, 50,000 5 star shards from duping max four stars is 91 four star champions. With the odds of 10% for a four star which is what it generally is seen as at this point thats 182 000 units worth of crystals. If someone spent 6 thousand dollars in one day for crystals they deserve all the rewards they got and they do not represent even the top whales because that is an unheard of amount of spending in one day. If whales get 10x the rewards for spending free to play players also get 10x the rewards. I don't know why people are so upset whales are getting an edge when it doesn't effect their gameplay. Even legends titles aren't all won by whales good f2p players still win legends titles so there is literally no reason to hate on people spending, they are the ones keeping the game going and if they are willing to spend so much they should be rewarded

You haven't played with enough whales I think
  • This game is no fun bc kabam is to cheap on rewards
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    I've read posts making statements regarding "whales" and trying to find a main factual point that supports the majority of negative views towards them and their impact on us "poor folk". Unfortunately, I've been unable to do that, which leads me to write this post with my views on the subject to see if I'm possibly seeing a distorted picture of what is really happening. I consider myself to be a f2p player although I have spent approx. $150US in total over the past 2 1/2 yrs. I've put in my fair share of time grinding arena and maximising benefits from being in an alliance. My in game "growth rate" isnt something to be jealous of, having played almost daily to the point of it becoming as a routine part of my days as eating lunch. But I've come to accept it as satisfactory for me. To this day however, I've never actually experienced an event or situation that lead me to justifiably conclude that the overall economic structure of the game along with all the players involved had in some way put me at a disadvantage in my progression and my ability to compete at a level that is fair. I'll quickly admit there have been countless times I felt my alliance and or I were placed in an unfair situation, but I dont believe the economics had anything to do with it. The game is esentially f2p, and geared to be that way. Whoever may choose to invest money along with their time can gain some added benefits in much less time than those who choose not to. I think it safe to say we can all agree, the more money able to be invested, shorter the time becomes to get from point A to B. I dont personally feel that this in anyway puts me in some form of disadvantage in my f2p gameplay. In the alliance format, which is mainly where something like this is the most likely to take place, the different bracket/tiers help to negate such situations albeit maybe not as precise and balanced as it could be but nonetheless it serves its purpose. From my personal experience, since day one I havent seen much change in the ratio of rewards vs time/resources etc... And have felt for a long time that it could be a bit more generous. But what I feel or want has nothing to do with the gameplay or how its structured, nor does it unnecesarily put me at a disadvantage IMO. It's still f2p if I choose it to be, it still has content for me to complete and be rewarded for however small or big those may be. It will take time as does with anything, to reach certain goals and ambitions, but will eventually be done if I choose to stick with it and do whats necessary. I can't objectively say that "whales" influence any of this TBH. I personally do not have an acquaintance that has spent large sums of money, and have not played with or against any "whales" as far as I know. But I do know and have played with a few players whose accts rating would probably be considered "whale" level, and I respect them for one, and second, I admire their collection of champions and level of rating to the point of saying, "wow, that's insane how strong you are"! I'll close with this statement/question. When I'm driving on the freeway and happen to notice a Ferrari blast by, I think "damn that's nice! Wish I could be driving one". Let's hypothetically say I happen to see 100 or 1000's blast by, should my opinion change and now blame those owners to be the reason I'm not able to drive as fast as they, and why I dont have a ferrari of my own, on a freeway that's designed and built to cater more to them and not me? Even if I am driving along with many others like me, on that freeway with no tolls to pay unless I decide to take a shortcut/detour??
  • Kronos987654321Kronos987654321 Posts: 584 ★★★
    WOK wrote: »
    I've read posts making statements regarding "whales" and trying to find a main factual point that supports the majority of negative views towards them and their impact on us "poor folk". Unfortunately, I've been unable to do that, which leads me to write this post with my views on the subject to see if I'm possibly seeing a distorted picture of what is really happening. I consider myself to be a f2p player although I have spent approx. $150US in total over the past 2 1/2 yrs. I've put in my fair share of time grinding arena and maximising benefits from being in an alliance. My in game "growth rate" isnt something to be jealous of, having played almost daily to the point of it becoming as a routine part of my days as eating lunch. But I've come to accept it as satisfactory for me. To this day however, I've never actually experienced an event or situation that lead me to justifiably conclude that the overall economic structure of the game along with all the players involved had in some way put me at a disadvantage in my progression and my ability to compete at a level that is fair. I'll quickly admit there have been countless times I felt my alliance and or I were placed in an unfair situation, but I dont believe the economics had anything to do with it. The game is esentially f2p, and geared to be that way. Whoever may choose to invest money along with their time can gain some added benefits in much less time than those who choose not to. I think it safe to say we can all agree, the more money able to be invested, shorter the time becomes to get from point A to B. I dont personally feel that this in anyway puts me in some form of disadvantage in my f2p gameplay. In the alliance format, which is mainly where something like this is the most likely to take place, the different bracket/tiers help to negate such situations albeit maybe not as precise and balanced as it could be but nonetheless it serves its purpose. From my personal experience, since day one I havent seen much change in the ratio of rewards vs time/resources etc... And have felt for a long time that it could be a bit more generous. But what I feel or want has nothing to do with the gameplay or how its structured, nor does it unnecesarily put me at a disadvantage IMO. It's still f2p if I choose it to be, it still has content for me to complete and be rewarded for however small or big those may be. It will take time as does with anything, to reach certain goals and ambitions, but will eventually be done if I choose to stick with it and do whats necessary. I can't objectively say that "whales" influence any of this TBH. I personally do not have an acquaintance that has spent large sums of money, and have not played with or against any "whales" as far as I know. But I do know and have played with a few players whose accts rating would probably be considered "whale" level, and I respect them for one, and second, I admire their collection of champions and level of rating to the point of saying, "wow, that's insane how strong you are"! I'll close with this statement/question. When I'm driving on the freeway and happen to notice a Ferrari blast by, I think "damn that's nice! Wish I could be driving one". Let's hypothetically say I happen to see 100 or 1000's blast by, should my opinion change and now blame those owners to be the reason I'm not able to drive as fast as they, and why I dont have a ferrari of my own, on a freeway that's designed and built to cater more to them and not me? Even if I am driving along with many others like me, on that freeway with no tolls to pay unless I decide to take a shortcut/detour??

No one is mad at the whales. We are mad at Kabam for giving them the option to blow their money on something that is so game changing like the grandmaster crystal. And yes, it affects everything. It increases prestige which makes
    AQ harder for everyone else and it makes arena harder to compete in.
  • As someone who spends very little on freemium games like CoC, I go through phases of not playing Contest of Champions at all because I get really down about not being able to progress through the game very well. I wish the pricing were a little bit friendlier to the customer, or that the customer could choose to unlock specific characters if they choose to spend money. It's really disheartening to spend actual cash on crystals only to unlock characters you already have or ones you couldn't care less about.
    @Kronos987654321, could you please enlighten me on the benefits gained from the grandmaster crystal? 1st time I'm hearing of it and have no clue what items and or champs can be gained from it. Thanks. I apologize for my ignorance with many intricacies of the game. But as far as how I understood prestige. I was under the impression that we would basically have to be somewhat equivelant to whomever we get matched with for it to actually play out and become a calculated tiebreaker of sorts is it not? I do know that it also correlates with the difficulty lvl of opponents on the map. To clarify, do you mean that other alliance prestige also affects our map difficulty level as well? Is the current bracket system more severely flawed than I imagined that this is actually not the case? Esentially sending us into a "gunfight armed with a spoon" so to speak? And with arenas, I've managed to grind out champs a few times at too much effort than worth really, but never got more into it other than fighting matches and trying to post as many points as possible. In what ways do arenas get affected to become an unfair disavantage to us "regular folks"? I thank you in advance and appreciate you taking the time to educate me on these new points. Thanks again!
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    People aren't paying attention enough to notice that there are whales against the idea of the grandmaster crystal. They have spent so much money towards 5*s after Kabam said that 5*s would hold there value. Thousand to complete LOL and much more. Later told 5*s have lost there value and are now are simply worth 200 units! Thats insane.
  • R4GE wrote: »
    People aren't paying attention enough to notice that there are whales against the idea of the grandmaster crystal. They have spent so much money towards 5*s after Kabam said that 5*s would hold there value.

To the extent that people mean "nothing else will ever be released that is more powerful than they are" I'm pretty sure no one made that promise.

I also wouldn't believe an MMO developer that attempted to make it, unless they owned the company and was putting that promise into the use contract. That would be like the guy in the drive thru window promising that McDonalds would never redesign the Chicken McNugget for as long as the company exists.

edited September 2017
    Morgan wrote: »
    WOK wrote: »
    @Kronos987654321, could you please enlighten me on the benefits gained from the grandmaster crystal? 1st time I'm hearing of it and have no clue what items and or champs can be gained from it. Thanks. I apologize for my ignorance with many intricacies of the game. But as far as how I understood prestige. I was under the impression that we would basically have to be somewhat equivelant to whomever we get matched with for it to actually play out and become a calculated tiebreaker of sorts is it not? I do know that it also correlates with the difficulty lvl of opponents on the map. To clarify, do you mean that other alliance prestige also affects our map difficulty level as well? Is the current bracket system more severely flawed than I imagined that this is actually not the case? Esentially sending us into a "gunfight armed with a spoon" so to speak? And with arenas, I've managed to grind out champs a few times at too much effort than worth really, but never got more into it other than fighting matches and trying to post as many points as possible. In what ways do arenas get affected to become an unfair disavantage to us "regular folks"? I thank you in advance and appreciate you taking the time to educate me on these new points. Thanks again!

i buy 3 odins, buy grand crystals and pop 3 new 5*.

every run of arena those 5 stars grants me from 60k to 100k extra point every 6 hours, multiplied by 72 hrs making a total of 1,000,000 up to 1,200,000 points more than i usually can grind.

Thanks for sharing your personal method and results. So am I correct to assume that you have made similar purchases consistently till now and will continue to do so going forward or were you referring to a 1 time scenario that netted you those results? And with that and posts made by others suggesting some players spend upwards of $10k+, is it also implied that there are actually more than a significant number of "whale" players in relation to the entire MCOC community that can in fact dramatically affect the calculated numbers to inflate cutoff point values and that it would make it nearly impossible for "regular players" like us to grind out a featured champion from arena? If it is a verifable fact, I have to say I'm pretty shocked to hear of it and would then have to lean more towards the idea that it is in essence a slightly unfair situation that's purposefully being setup to eventually force players to "pay to play". But although not my personal opinion, I can also see a valid argument being made that "fair gaming" environment does not necessarily mean we must be provided with the same tools afforded someone else to be at the top or those who can afford it should be restrained from using more resources that would exceed our limits. Then I could see it snowball into other "foul play" gripes by players like myself that have a family and business that take up most of my time, against those players that dont have similar lifestyles and can invest amounts of time into gameplay that would be impossible for someone like me to ever come close to. All in all, I find it quite interesting to have learned what I have today. And ultimately, TBH I dont think it will affect whether I decide to login and play a few minutes after this post LOL. I figure if it gets to a point its no longer entertaining for me to play due to the topics we discussed today, I'll have no other choice to make but to delete the app and find something new to enjoy. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts and providing me with information I was somewhat ignorant of.