**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

We REALLY need to have a discussion about AI (passiveness, baiting, parrying...)

hope4tghope4tg Posts: 149
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
Honestly, I am about to rip my hair out. It's so annoying sometimes. Especially with AQ Map 5 and an arena after hitting 3x multiplier. Something has to be done about this passive "I will not throw my specials and just hold block and run at you" AI. I am sorry if this comes out as venting but honestly it is. Why is this never addressed? It is obvious that AI keeps on getting changes under the hood without us knowing. From my experience, this has been going on for maybe a year? Anectodal at best, I know, it would be great if you can share your experiences.

Now lately Kabam has made incredible steps for more transparency in and out of game (like the Q&As and forum posts regarding balance changes) which I commend, they have come a long way. It would be great if we had some word about this.

Passive AI, opponent throwing specials in the middle of a combo into the block, baiting is getting harder, parrying has become harder. I am all for smarter AI but at some point we are humans with measly 200 milisecond reaction times and the AI can simple defeat us if it wanted to and there is no counterplay or fun to that is there? At least with more aggressive AI it is more predictable and they use specials more easily. Honestly I prefer and map6 or act 6 AI over this passive type.

PS: One of my favorite quotes about this comes from the lead World of Warcraft raid boss designer: "AI's job is to convincingly lose to you in a fun and interactive manner" (fun and interactive not used ironically here )

If you wanna be an ignorant ... and say "Oh its only you who has this problem, I am a great player and never face thi..." calm down and watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8mcX8E8D0

Comments

• CaptainGameCaptainGame Posts: 369 ★★★
    One hundred percent agreed. It sucks the fun right out of the game.
  • Rerun_9Rerun_9 Posts: 109
    This is why I absolutely despise battling Mordo. He just holds his block the entire fight and I eat a sp3. Really annoying. Plus you can’t do anything about it.
  • DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
    Rerun_9 said:

This is why I absolutely despise battling Mordo. He just holds his block the entire fight and I eat a sp3. Really annoying. Plus you can’t do anything about it.

He is aggressive without power gain and passive with power gain, just heavy him when he is under power gain.
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    map 5 just sucks to play. those syms just stand there looking at you. block down, daring you to charge in. if you charge in, they intercept, if you dash back they catch you mid dash. sometimes its best to just be patient and bait their heavy and accept the chip damage
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    For all the newbies out there, map 5 has always had passive AI. Been that way since forever.

Back in the day it didn't matter because the meta was perfect block so you just stood there until you bait out a heavy and counter.

Turns out passiveness is a good counter to today's evade and intercept meta because it makes it near impossible to predict their movements.
  • hope4tghope4tg Posts: 149

i'm mostly jealous you have hair to rip out :(

trust me my days are counted brother... ;_;
  • hope4tghope4tg Posts: 149
    Shrimkins said:

For all the newbies out there, map 5 has always had passive AI. Been that way since forever.

Back in the day it didn't matter because the meta was perfect block so you just stood there until you bait out a heavy and counter.

Turns out passiveness is a good counter to today's evade and intercept meta because it makes it near impossible to predict their movements.

While factually correct I think this misses some nuance. I feel like the general concensus is that the AI is much more erratic in its play style. It's not just the passiveness. This combined with the fact (using "fact" loosely here) parrying and backdrafting is getting harder month after month creates the final frustration level we are at right now.

Just my 2c