**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How Does Power Burn Damage Work?

MaesterAegonMaesterAegon Posts: 63
edited March 2020 in Strategy and Tips
Can someone show me the math on how these percentages convert into damage output? Kindly use 4-Star Rank 5 Sig 99 for basis.

Dormammu
Finish a Combo with a Medium Attack:
The target doesn't gain Power from this Hit.
Depletes up to 7.5% of the target's max Power.
Imbued: Causes Direct Damage equal to 450% of the Power Drained from the opponent by this attack.

Vision
Special Attack 1 :
Burns up to 39% of the target's max Power and inflicts Direct Damage proportionate to the amount lost.
Special Attack 2 :
Burns up to 100% of the target's max Power and inflicts Direct Damage proportionate to the amount lost.
Special Attack 3 :
Burns up to 33% of the target's max Power and inflicts Direct Damage proportionate to the amount lost.

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,348 ★★★★★
    Every champ who does power burn does it a bit differently. So if Dormammu burns 7.5% of your energy, he'll do different damage than, say, Dr Voodoo burning 7.5% of your energy.

It used to be visible in the champ description a while back, but then they hid it again. It was always internally consistent though; so if Vision happened to burn 39% of his opponents power with an SP2, it would do the same damage as an SP1.

Beyond that, if you want to work out the exact numbers to compare who's better at burning power, then you can do your own research with 2*/3*. I doubt anyone is going to do this for you!

• Huskers327Huskers327 Posts: 105
    Along these lines, why does the power burn damage from Dr Voodoo’s sp2 (even combo) not scale with star rating/attack? My r4 5* Voodoo does 355 damage per hit with 3 of the power burn effects, this is identical to my r1 3* Voodoo.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,280 ★★★★★

Along these lines, why does the power burn damage from Dr Voodoo’s sp2 (even combo) not scale with star rating/attack? My r4 5* Voodoo does 355 damage per hit with 3 of the power burn effects, this is identical to my r1 3* Voodoo.

Sounds like a mistake. No reason it shouldn't scale.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Power burn doesn't scale with attack because the power drain effect itself doesn't scale with attack. Because the damage of power burn is solely based on the power drained (at least, for any given champion), it doesn't scale with attack. It also doesn't scale with attack buffs or special damage buffs.

My recollection is that Kabam acknowledged this long ago as not being a bug, but the current intent for how the effect works.
  • Huskers327Huskers327 Posts: 105
    edited March 2020
    DNA3000 said:

Power burn doesn't scale with attack because the power drain effect itself doesn't scale with attack. Because the damage of power burn is solely based on the power drained (at least, for any given champion), it doesn't scale with attack. It also doesn't scale with attack buffs or special damage buffs.

My recollection is that Kabam acknowledged this long ago as not being a bug, but the current intent for how the effect works.

To a certain degree, that makes sense. But if that’s the case why does Vision AoU’s special attack power burn scale with attack (Edit to attach screenshots)?

And beyond that, from a simple game balance perspective, how does it make sense that a very lowly ranked champ should do the same damage as a maxed 5* with one of their mechanics?
  • MaesterAegonMaesterAegon Posts: 63
    Okay, so Vision (AOU)'s SP1 burns up to 39% of the target's max Power and inflicts Direct Damage proportionate to the amount lost. How did the 3-star inflict 804, while the 4-star inflicted 2101? How did they convert this max 39% into damage?

If it were solely based on the percentage burnt, then they should have dealt the same amount of damage