**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Rogue is bugged

GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
edited April 2020 in Bugs and Known Issues
Rogue is ‘16 champ and has a serious issue since her release. Her life steal doesn’t work as intended(it does the damage but no health is gained) if it is the final blow for ko. For example, if the opponent has 2k remaining health and her life steal would do 3k damage, she deals 3k damage but steals 0 for herself instead of gaining at least the 2k that were on the opponent. It’s a very annoying issue and it happens the most on situations where Rogue is high signature level and has class advantage, when the chances for a big critical life steal are high and her life still is more likely to be the final blow. On those situations, her advantages turn against her, due to this obvious bug or unfinished programming. Can a moderator please pass this issue to game team?

Comments

• GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    It’s really weird that Rogue is out for so many time and no one till now haven’t brought up this issue. It’s like people never use Rogue or something..?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian
    Greekhit said:

Rogue is ‘16 champ and has a serious issue since her release. Her life steal doesn’t work as intended(it does the damage but no health is gained) if it is the final blow for ko. For example, if the opponent has 2k remaining health and her life steal would do 3k damage, she deals 3k damage but steals 0 for herself instead of gaining at least the 2k that were on the opponent. It’s a very annoying issue and it happens the most on situations where Rogue is high signature level and has class advantage, when the chances for a big critical life steal are high and her life still is more likely to be the final blow. On those situations, her advantages turn against her, due to this obvious bug or unfinished programming. Can a moderator please pass this issue to game team?

This is not considered a bug. The life steal happens after the damage is dealt, not simultaneously with. A long while back the game was changed so that health-altering effects stopped the instant either champion died. This includes life steals that kill the target. This was originally done to prevent things like damage over time effects from killing a champion after the fight was over but things like animations were still running. The instant either champion is killed, anything that would change health bars stops working. Players benefit from this stoppage just as much if not more than they are hurt by it: anyone using suicides for example knows they can avoid recoil damage if the special attack they use kills the target. You don't take strike back damage from any hit that kills the target either.

The only game mechanic that does alter health bars after a champion is defeated is Adrenalin, the health repair mechanism that 6* champs have. That's probably because Adrenalin isn't an "effect" in the technical sense of the word. It isn't a power or ability that restores heatlh, it is implemented as a fundamental game mechanism outside the realm of the powers system.
    Greekhit said:

It’s really weird that Rogue is out for so many time and no one till now haven’t brought up this issue. It’s like people never use Rogue or something..?

Actually, this gets brought up about once or twice a year. It has been discussed about a dozen times or so over time, going back to the old forums.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,563 ★★★★★
    I believe this has been asked about before and it isn’t a bug, this is how it is designed. She will not life steal when KOing the enemy
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,144 ★★★★★
    edited April 2020
    It definitely has been brought up and answered, if poorly.

He never did answer my final question 😠
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    If these “game laws” don’t allow her to work as intended and described why then they don’t program her to that: If the life steal would exceed the opponents remaining life(2k f.e.), then she steals the remaining -1hp(1999hp) and her punch of her special 1 would give the final blow. There’s always a solution, as long as, there is the will to give one.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,797 ★★★★★
    It’s “working as intended” even if it is annoying.
    Greekhit said:

If these “game laws” don’t allow her to work as intended and described why then they don’t program her to that: If the life steal would exceed the opponents remaining life(2k f.e.), then she steals the remaining -1hp(1999hp) and her punch of her special 1 would give the final blow. There’s always a solution, as long as, there is the will to give one.

All champ's "intended" functionality exist under the umbrella of the intent of the rules of the game. As far as I can recall, the fight is essentially supposed to be over the instant either champ dies. Effects that would have occurred after that happens are not supposed to happen. I can't find any old discussions surrounding this and any that existed would have gone down with the old forums. The closest thing I could find is a patch note from February 2015 where they address "a rare bug where Champions were still able to deal damage after they died, resulting in tied fights."

I'm not sure why you would put "game laws" in quotes as if the intent of the game mechanics was somehow lesser to the intent of the champion design. That's like saying that since X-23's intent is to bleed the target, we shouldn't let something like bleed immunity get in the way of that. You're supposed to know that X-23 bleeds unless there's something else that might prevent that; Wolverine heals unless there's something else that might prevent that; Vision gains power unless there's something else that might prevent that. It would be pedantic in the extreme to force the game designers to have to state for every single ability of a champion what all the other rules that affect that ability are.
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,208 ★★★★
    I've never seen this as a bug. (Maybe I'm wrong).
    Rogue was my very first 5/50 and 4/55.
    Omega was one of my first 5/65s.
    Both champs lose their regen opportunity if the special KOs the opponent first.

I've always considered it a skill to be able to shorten my combo when needed to leave 1-2% of health instead of a full combo KO.
    Snizzbar said:

It definitely has been brought up and answered, if poorly.

He never did answer my final question 😠

Sunspot's abilities state "when striking an opponent inflict an Incinerate for each Solar Charge expended, dealing XXX energy damage for 5 seconds." But if you die, that damage instantly stops. The ability doesn't say 'but if you die all damage from these incinerate effects will stop taking effect prematurely." We sort of just understand and accept that if we die all our DoT debuffs just stop working at that instant. For that matter, the reverse is true: if you are fighting Sunspot and he has a ton of incinerates ticking on you, killing him causes all that damage to stop. Nowhere does it say that killing Sunspot causes players to stop taking damage from his incinerates.

I'm almost positive the life steal thing happens for the same reason, and was stated as such somewhere a long time ago. I just can't find it. The heal "happens" after the damage is dealt (probably because the heal has to calculate how much damage actually gets dealt, so the heal takes place after the damage lands), except if that is a killing blow nothing is supposed to happen after that occurs, even an instant afterwards.

Some crazy things can happen if you allow the heal to happen even after one side is dead. Suppose you're currently petrified or spectred. You land a killing blow with a life transfer, but even though the target is dead the game lets the heal through, which gets reversed by the petrify and then *you* die. Now what? You'd have to make special case rules to handle corner cases like this.

This is separate from the fact that if the players ask the devs to look at this too closely, I'm fairly certain that if they allowed life steal after death they would also allow strike back after death (meaning killing blows on Electro would still trigger strike back damage) and recoil would start damaging players even on killing blow specials. Because I see zero difference in principle between these effects.