**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5.3 = End of the Road for Many (For Now)

PalanthraxPalanthrax Posts: 918 ★★★★
To put this in perspective, I've fully explored 5.2 (beaten Collector 6 times), ROL, RTTL, all of it - so had high hopes to beat this content.

Sadly (or happily for veterans, I guess) 5.3 has been designed specifically for long-term players with huge rosters of maxed champs. Due to the insane damage taken while blocking, R4 4*s will not cut it without considerable units spent.

You're therefore looking at needing FIVE 4* R5 (or 5* R3) champs PER CLASS, meaning 30 champs of that level evenly distributed between the 6 classes. This is a benchmark that most players, despite achievements to date, won't be able to manage. I have 9 R5s, 2 in some classes and 1 in others.

Maybe I'll try again when I have 3 of each class, but that's still a long way off considering I'm not in a top 300 alliance (so I have to wait months for T4CCs, or buy them - which I do).

If I'm going to spend the insane amount of units required to complete 5.3, I'd rather just invest in completing LOL easy path instead - the rewards are better anyway.

Some will say I'm complaining, I'm not really, I'm just disappionted that 5.3 has been designed to exclude so many. It was going so well.

Comments

• RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    Well, I agree with OP on many points. However, it's clear with 5.3 that 4* are indeed dead. They just don't have the damage output to outlast the block damage. IMO it's not terrible fights just very tough if you're not perfect in a fight you should expect to be using revives and potions just to outlast.
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    Well, I agree with OP on many points. However, it's clear with 5.3 that 4* are indeed dead. They just don't have the damage output to outlast the block damage. IMO it's not terrible fights just very tough if you're not perfect in a fight you should expect to be using revives and potions just to outlast.
    I agree on some as well. But noticed 4*s being an issue on 5.2 with block damage and 5*'s being the obvious best choice. Beatable with r5 4*s, but was clear where the game was going
  • RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    CpcBoyboy wrote: »
    Why are we going to 5* and'rank them if useless to use them in quest? That's we call progression on quest. If all quests can be beatable with 3-4*... why player still continue to have champs?

Well it's just the fact that with it being class driven quests many players don't have the roster with 5* to compete. And that Kabam is holding resources to rank five stars like a fat man guarding a cake.

• Yelin547Yelin547 Posts: 238
    It's about the right champs. Figuring out what to do and how to do it is key. 5.3.1 I was beating champs only using like 4 l1 and taking less than 500 damage each fight. This was a 5/50 4*. My other champs did well too when I figured out what types are best.
  • QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★
    it would be disappointing if you could beat 5.3 with 4/40 champs easily.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,192 ★★★★★
    It's supposed to be more challenging. There's a progression to content. Also, not all content will be doable the moment it is released. Storymode is a permanent installment, and sometimes it will take time to work up to it. If there is no new challenge, then there is little growth.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    Maxed out 4*'s aren't going to cut it unless you can avoid getting hit and avoid parrying unless absolutely necessary.

I experimented with my 5/50 GwenPool on the Spider-Gwen in 5.3.1 today, with the results as follows: 116-0 me, only one block the entire match, and with every other contact a successful parry, all resulting in a loss of 5K health (about 40%) for my GwenPool from parry damage.

Granted, a mystic champ could have arguably done better (with normal attack, although at class disadvantage and likely without GwenPool's bleed damage). But the result speaks for itself: play flawlessly (unless you consider parrying a "flaw") and still get hammered on health.

I don't mean this an indictment of the game design--there are plenty of things about 5.3 so far that are easier than 5.2. It is, however, highly exacting. After nearly 3 years of playing, that is both exciting and frustrating, though not necessarily in equal measure.

Dr. Zola
  • NMEONESNMEONES Posts: 260 ★★
    so ive only been using Rank 5 4* Star Lord, Vision, Rogue, Voodoo, Ghost Rider, Hyperion & Gwenpool for the entire chapter so far... Im about to start exploring now. If your using the wrong class on the wrong map you just have to play better and not get hit, the fight is just longer. At this stage in the story quests, you should be pretty good at intercepting. Its the only way to not lose half your health with a 4* in these later chapters... Like someone above said, use regen champs.. My ghost rider has been an MVP for me here so far.
  • MEŦAPħҰSMEŦAPħҰS Posts: 340 ★★
    4*s arent dead! lol. ive used vision and voodoo 4 lanes into 5.3.1

these fights are patience driven. most everything after act 4 is fighting against the node..

5.3, so far, has been easier than 5.2. just study the nodes, bring the appropriate champs and stay focused through 60-100 hit combo!

good luck to all!
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    edited September 2017
    s9mmdj0fw466.png

For a seperate reference
  • BreenioBreenio Posts: 115
    Palanthrax wrote: »
    To put this in perspective, I've fully explored 5.2 (beaten Collector 6 times), ROL, RTTL, all of it - so had high hopes to beat this content.

Sadly (or happily for veterans, I guess) 5.3 has been designed specifically for long-term players with huge rosters of maxed champs. Due to the insane damage taken while blocking, R4 4*s will not cut it without considerable units spent.

You're therefore looking at needing FIVE 4* R5 (or 5* R3) champs PER CLASS, meaning 30 champs of that level evenly distributed between the 6 classes. This is a benchmark that most players, despite achievements to date, won't be able to manage. I have 9 R5s, 2 in some classes and 1 in others.

Maybe I'll try again when I have 3 of each class, but that's still a long way off considering I'm not in a top 300 alliance (so I have to wait months for T4CCs, or buy them - which I do).

If I'm going to spend the insane amount of units required to complete 5.3, I'd rather just invest in completing LOL easy path instead - the rewards are better anyway.

Some will say I'm complaining, I'm not really, I'm just disappionted that 5.3 has been designed to exclude so many. It was going so well.

I've just done my first run through of 5.3.1 and a number of my A team are in aq/aw. The team I used were 4* SW 5.50, 4* Vision AOU 5.50, 4.40 dormammu/hood and a 3* Dr voodoo. Purely for crit rate synergy. Used 4 revives 20 or so potions and a lesser champion boost. Btw I've not 100% 5.2 yet and not done lol either. You don't have to take 5 of a specific class, maybe 1 or 2 and build synergies around them. Hope that helps.
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Sadly (or happily for veterans, I guess) 5.3 has been designed specifically for long-term players with huge rosters of maxed champs.

Setting aside just how large your roster has to be to do this, you seem to be dividing the player base up into only two groups: those that have the roster strength to do 5.3 now, and those that have been screwed. You're ignoring a sizeable fraction of the playerbase that actually appreciates having content to look forward to doing even if they can't or don't think they can do it now.

That's still 2 groups—one that can do 5.3 and another that can't do it now (this includes players that appreciate having content to look forward to...)
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    GbSarkar wrote: »
    That's still 2 groups—one that can do 5.3 and another that can't do it now (this includes players that appreciate having content to look forward to...)

Word.

That aside, ran 5.3.1 with
    - 5* R4 Magik
    - 5* R4 Hawkeye
    - 4* 5/50 Magik
    - 4* 5/50 Mordo
    - 4* 4/40 SW

Was a breeze. Was laughing at how easy it was. (Excluding the Bane mystic path. That UC and Jug with Bane was fun and challenging to fight. Need to watch your rhythm a lot.)
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★

That's the point: to prolong the enjoyment of playing the game.
    Now, you don't have any choice other than R5 some of your 4* to walkthrough 5.3 rather easily, if you choose not to spend a ton of items and units. This somehow brings back the enjoyment of ranking up 4* that has been taken away (for some players) upon the announcement of 6*.

You can rank up your 5*, which of course is a much better option but I bet that you only have a limited choice of 5* to rank that will help passing 5.3 with no problem.

You might say, "Why should I rank up a 4* when it will not be that cool anymore when 6* has been made playable early next year?". My answer will be, "Who told you to be so competitive in the game to the point of tiring yourself?"
    Unless you're among the group of crazy competitive players, that I believe gain no money from it, just take it slow a little bit. Enjoy and appreciate the different mechanics and utilities of each champs (not Kamala, IP and LC obviously).

Sometimes I don't get it, other than pure self-satisfaction of being one of the top players in the game, what other things that you'll get being in that spot? You won't get paid for being in that spot. You can spend cash and I don't mind about it but excessive spending is just crazy on itself (not that I'm saying you're spending money in the game).

• Kronos987654321Kronos987654321 Posts: 584 ★★★
    edited September 2017
    This content isn't going anywhere. Sorry the game didn't create 5.3 tailored to your exact position in the game right now. Save up 4 hour crystals, build up your roster, and try again when you have a team capable of finishing it
  • Ethans8279Ethans8279 Posts: 129
    edited September 2017
    I think there will have something insane in Act 5.4. At least you don't need so much units to make through Act 5.3.
  • DemonicStalkerDemonicStalker Posts: 303 ★★
    Contrary to the title, it's actually something most will look forward to. It's not a dead-end. It might and will take time to reach there, but where's the fun within the journey if the end is all we look at?
  • weavileweavile Posts: 288
    when 5.1 come out it's hard, when 5.2 come out collector kill everyone, so wait for weeks, months and you'll be able to do it
  • RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★
    If anyone thinks 4* R4 champs should be able to clear every piece of content that is thrown by the game team, stop it. Seriously, every time some hard content like web-slinger challenge or when Chapter 2 came out, there will always be a group of people who feel the need to complain that the content is too tough to beat with their 4* R4 and the content should thus be made easier.

Ok, now back to the main topic: 5.3 is meant to be extremely difficult, and you should have known it when you beat the collector and had to spend a considerable amount of potions to kill him. If you are...struggling, in 5.3, then clearly the chapter fulfills its purpose, it is supposed to be very hard.

I think the main point here is the high attack that inflicts high block damage. Painful indeed, but you can avoid it with good play: Parrying (yes it still hurts, but you will survive much much longer) and intercepting. If you master these 2 skills, I'm sure you can get through with your saved potions and free crystals.

And as for the roster part, maxed 4* champs should be able to tackle this, but they have to be the better champions (eg. Thor, Gwenpool, Starlord, SW, Hulk, Wolverine) for a good chance at the enemies in this chapter. You also DON'T have to strictly bring a certain class of champons just cuz the quest says so. If it's a mystic quest and there's an electro on the path, use some common sense and bring a skill champion to lessen the damage.

But bottom line here is: You can't do it? Then you need to expand and upgrade your roster. Still can't do it? Save up units, potions and free crystals.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,870 ★★★★★
    I did a run through of 5.3 and only have 2 r4s, holding off doing others for now.

But point is I didn't use any units apart from refills, and I don't really use my r4 Mordo so I did it with 1 r4.

I even set up my teams for the same class depending on which has 100% power and ppl will have way better/newer champs.

It's not that hard at all
  • EdenrrificEdenrrific Posts: 57
    I agree. 5.3 was not hard or challenging for me. I used 5/50 champs and only spent on energy refills. I am highly skilled though, but think most can do it