**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Is Mysterio’s s1 overly slept on?

spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
I just pulled a 6* Mysterio, was pretty unfamiliar with him so did some video research.

His s3 is rightly talked about a lot, but the s1 seems incredibly underrated for difficult content.

Took him into act 6. S1. Let opponent hit you for 4 seconds (and gain power during this). Reflect 70% of the damage taken, heal back 100% of it or more with recovery, and if you got hit, you’re more than likely ready to throw a s1 again. Rinse and repeat. Almost seems too good to be true?

I’m just a bit surprised this isn’t mentioned more, are there Mysterio users here who play that way? I know it’s only really effective in hard content where there’s a lot of damage being dealt, but wow!

Or do y’all just stick to the s3 method?

He may very well be by next 6/2.

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,956 ★★★★★
    edited May 2020
    Its very hard to line up consistantly and risky for high level fights. It can very be very useful in certain situations. But for a fight like in 6.4 where attack values are 12k+, its not going to work well.
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★
    Mysterio is an underrated champ. I took him to 5/65 and have been extremely happy the more I use him. Taking hits in act 6 is risky like a lot of ppl have already started. I use it in certain situations though and try to remember it as a backup in case I start a fight off bad. His heal block also comes in really handy.
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    Basically like Namor short off, just under. Passive heal block, poison immunity and anti ability reduction so he has nice utility, not as good as Namors utility, but comes in handy. Both get major damage boost from sp3 except Namor has higher damage potential, but Mysterio has crazy poison damage. Sp2 power drains and 100% miss while using heavys, sp1 reflects damage which Ive been meaning to play around with to see how good heimdall synergy is with him and if it maybe matches Quake/Electro cheese strategy. Throw in Hela and Angela and you have some crazy regen possibly.
    And as Demon mentioned his Emma Frost synergy super underrated. Wish I had her for my 1st Grandmaster fight. Hard to say whether hes slept on since he isnt too far from Namor.
  • spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Lunae said:

Basically like Namor short off, just under. Passive heal block, poison immunity and anti ability reduction so he has nice utility, not as good as Namors utility, but comes in handy. Both get major damage boost from sp3 except Namor has higher damage potential, but Mysterio has crazy poison damage. Sp2 power drains and 100% miss while using heavys, sp1 reflects damage which Ive been meaning to play around with to see how good heimdall synergy is with him and if it maybe matches Quake/Electro cheese strategy. Throw in Hela and Angela and you have some crazy regen possibly.

That’s exactly what I was thinking in regards to the synergy

Lunae said:

Might be amazing, but so amazing you devote a whole time to it. Mysterio has to be able to carry all the fights which he might be able to do, but Id need to rank him higher and awaken him for sure. Awakened abilty also underlooked as well really adds to his damage and rotation.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,956 ★★★★★
    Lunae said:

Lunae said:

Might be amazing, but so amazing you devote a whole time to it. Mysterio has to be able to carry all the fights which he might be able to do, but Id need to rank him higher and awaken him for sure. Awakened abilty also underlooked as well really adds to his damage and rotation.
    His awakened ability is useful but if you can get mediums off fast, its not needed.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,242 ★★★★★
    You can’t chain spam his sp1 since you need your charges for the reflection uptime.
  • Sman74Sman74 Posts: 95
    xNig said:

You can’t chain spam his sp1 since you need your charges for the reflection uptime.

This. He’s a decent champ though. May want to consider ranking him to have a poison damage dealer if you don’t have one. May come in handy for Act 7....
  • spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    xNig said:

Why? You get 4 seconds with no charges, up to 7 with. I’ve been firing off a s1, taking damage, reflecting damage, then going in for a combo to gain one charge and repeating. It’s been working amazingly well so far.

• HeroBoltsyHeroBoltsy Posts: 785 ★★★
    Don't have much to add, except I can confirm everything here is accurate. The SP1 is a nice bonus, but, as others have said, it's *very* risky, especially as you get into higher and higher content. As Lvernon said, if they crit a ton, you're dead, so take into account the kind of content you're running. I'd say the SP3 loop is far more consistent and less risky, but if you've got a few short fights to get through, I don't see why you can't try and loop the SP1.
  • Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    With Heimdall, you won't fear death
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
    If he can reflect block damage then he should still be brilliant for 6.3/4
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    I’ve found his Sp1 play style is great for all or nothing nodes. Push them to Sp3, fire off Sp1, tank the hit and heal back up.

As people have said above, this is dependant on being able to take the Sp3, but it’s a useful strategy when he can.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    To take a quote from the Gridiron, field position is important. I want my opponent against the back wall as often as possible. Giving that up can be risky. I'd rather use the SP1 as a safety net than intentionally trying to reflect the damage. There are likely some niche encounters where this can probably work incredibly well but not for every fight