**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How do you play PARRY LESS ?

AlphA101AlphA101 Posts: 285 ★★★
Well , the title sums it up ?

How do you guys play without parry ? Don’t tell me just intercept , give me actual move sets , like once u intercept a heavy or go after a special animation , do you do 4 hits and back off ? Keep dexing until you find another opening ? What do you do when the AI is below 1 bar of power ? I find the “come at me “ intercepts most difficult to nail , while the yo yo intercept is the easiest

Videos are welcome too , lol

Comments

• luanamenderluanamender Posts: 229
    I have a big issue with playing without parrying as well. i need to get better at intercepting so i’ll pay attention to the comments lol
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Constantly fight annihilus and you’ll work it out.

If the opponent is advancing towards you (not dashing) you can tap block and make them retreat and block. When they release block there is normally a short pause after which they will dash. This is your queue to intercept. It’s very reliable when you get it but you still have to be quick.

The other option is to evade a dash and instantly throw a light attack, or shallow evade. Some champs like warlock or masacre are much better at this than others as the reach of their light attack is huge.

Hope that makes sense.
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Less common option but with a powergain champ is to special intercept. Hyperion for eg can go a whole fight without touching opponent. Mordo too, less effective but if you’re good you can hold block to gain power and intercept dash with an sp1.

• FreeToPlay_21FreeToPlay_21 Posts: 1,594 ★★★★
    As much as you don't wanna hear it, intercepting is the best way to go. There's a lot to it though.

First off, you need to check the attack rating on the enemy, if it's a lot for your Champions, you can rule out baiting heavy attacks. If the attack rating on the enemy isn't that high and you think that you can take some blocked hits, baiting out heavy attacks is a fairly reliable strategy. This is the ideal way to get your 'first' opening in your match.

After getting your first opening, you shoud do what's called 'Backdraft intercepting'. It's a strategy where you do a 4-hit combo (M-LLL) and dash back, when you do this there's a good chance that the opponent is gonna dash at you and you can retaliate with your own medium or light attack, followed by another 4-hit combo, rinse and repeat until the opponent gets a special attack. Backdraft intercepting DOES not work if the enemy has a special, you WILL get hit by it, so don't even try.

When the opponent gets a special 1, you have to decide what to do next, it depends on the Champion you're fighting. If you're fighting a Champion whose Special 1 can be easily evaded and countered right after, that's great! (Eg. Kingpin, Red Hulk, King Groot, Doctor Octopus etc.). If you encounter an opponent like this, just keep pushing them to their SP1 by backdraft intercepting and baiting out heavy attacks, bait the SP1, punish it, rinse and repeat, boom. You're good to go.

Now, for opponents that have a really high attack rating, or for opponents whose special attacks cannot be punished. You have to get a good grasp on 'Intercepting'. It's slightly different from backdraft intercepting. For backdrafts, you do a 4-hit combo and wait for the opponent to dash at you, but for regular intercepting, you have to actually pay attention to when the opponent is dashing at you, as soon as you see them moving forward, you intercept them with your own medium/light attack (light is usually faster and more reliable). Unlike backdrafts, there isn't a definite timeframe for when the AI will dash at you. You just have to rely on your instincts.

If you can't bait out heavy attacks for any reason. Intercepting is the only way to get your first opening in a match.

Bare in mind that all of these things heavily depend on how aggressive the AI is, if the AI isn't playing into your hands, there's not much you can do. I highly recommend checking out DorkLessons.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dorklessons
    Good luck!
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
    Note: The method above only works against aggressive AI, Act 5 and beyond. If the AI decides to block rather than dash into you don’t panic! Hit the MLLL combo into the block then dash back and in. It’s a very low risk strategy to hit into the block (as long as they have no power!) bc they either dash in and you intercept, or they keep blocking and you can just repeat the MLLL into their block until they feel aggressive again
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    Ghost
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    As above - don’t ‘complete’ a combo and you can intercept. Not finishing the combo allows you to dash back faster as well, so for some specials that require distance to fully dex - eg Yellow Jacket - when you push over a bar of power don’t complete your combos and you should have that extra distance to fully dex them.

Interception only really works consistently in Act 5+ and you still have to be careful. The AI will periodically clam up and smack you in the face. Don’t try it in Map 5, you’ll spend 3 minutes hitting into block and then randomly get intercepted.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,723 ★★★★★
    Once you learn all the good stuff, go fight a BPCW.
  • DeQueueDeQueue Posts: 101
    1. Dash back , instead of blocking in the beginning. Either Opponents will drag towards u, intercept. Or opponent will also dash back, if they hold block hit 2-3 times in the block deep dex punish; if they dont just kinda walk towards them till they start dashing in be ready to hold block bait heavy & punish.
    2. Normal time, u can continue to bait heavies if that's not punishing. Or keep distance between u & opponent till they firmly holds block. Hit the block 2-3times deep dex punish.
    3. If u are aggressive enough u can actually punish the opponent after tgeir first medium dash attack in ur block. Domino is great in this type of play or any champ with fast combos like stealthy.
    4. Baiting out specials is normal. Deep dex deep dex till they throw it.

I'm very trash player so I can't keep up doing all these consistently in every fight, but in the fights where I can pull these out it works.
  • Frivolousz21Frivolousz21 Posts: 438 ★★★
    Learn to bait specials and dex them and pound your opponent.

It's harder to learn to just intercept. But you just have to really focus on how dance with the AI until you just inherently have a feel for what they do next.
  • AlphA101 said:

Well , the title sums it up ?

How do you guys play without parry ? Don’t tell me just intercept , give me actual move sets , like once u intercept a heavy or go after a special animation , do you do 4 hits and back off ? Keep dexing until you find another opening ? What do you do when the AI is below 1 bar of power ? I find the “come at me “ intercepts most difficult to nail , while the yo yo intercept is the easiest

Videos are welcome too , lol

Very carefully
  • Frivolousz21Frivolousz21 Posts: 438 ★★★
    Mauled said:

As above - don’t ‘complete’ a combo and you can intercept. Not finishing the combo allows you to dash back faster as well, so for some specials that require distance to fully dex - eg Yellow Jacket - when you push over a bar of power don’t complete your combos and you should have that extra distance to fully dex them.

Interception only really works consistently in Act 5+ and you still have to be careful. The AI will periodically clam up and smack you in the face. Don’t try it in Map 5, you’ll spend 3 minutes hitting into block and then randomly get intercepted.

That passive map 5 AI is brutal
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    The best way to play without parrying imo is to give them as much power as you can and bait special 1's then retaliate. If you can just find one opening, you can hit into them without finishing a combo back off, then dash back in as they're coming to you (repeat till they have a bar of power, it's called backdrafts intercepting), then you can start that 5 combo bait special, retaliate rotation. This works even better with certain characters. If you just hold block, letting em hit into you a bit and don't let go they'll throw a heavy most of the time which is another great opportunity to back off and retaliate in. Eventually you can master this to where you never really take any blocked hits. When you dash into their block, hold your block for a second and back off, they'll throw a heavy a lot of the time. And then there's just normal intercepting which I'm pretty good at, but still haven't mastered yet. I'd personally say it's harder to master than any skill in this game. For me, it seems that I nail those intercepts when I back up a lot, then it's easier to get the timing right when you see them dash into you. Using Swedeah's method of light intercepts is great since you're less likely to get beat up every time you miss. Practice makes perfect with this. Hope I've been of help!
  • AlphA101AlphA101 Posts: 285 ★★★
    I’m the top map 5 scorer in my alliance on most of the days , just trying to cut down on parries
  • HendrossHendross Posts: 942 ★★★
    As mentioned above; backdraft and yo-yo intercepts are my goto, also learn shallow evade e.g. Korg, where you dex a charging opponent, the result is a window to start a combo at close range.

If possible baiting specials is the easiest, you get a lot of practice in LOL against limber
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    If you're near a wall, just dex until they end their combo. Then, just go in. It helps to know the timings of their attacks and also the animations of the light and medium attacks.

Also, if you're playing against harder AI, if you hold block, they might throw a heavy. If not, just dex and do it again.