**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How to know what tweets are fake

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
With the “tweet” going around that Quake is getting rebalanced:

I thought I’d give you some pointers on how to spot fake tweets.

1. The font. That’s not the twitter font, more like a photoshopped block of text pasted on an mcoc tweet.

2. Is it on forums? If there isn’t an official mod post about it on forums, it’s false. The forums are where Kabam will first announce any rebalances to champions.

3. The date. This “tweet” is dated to April 24th, a month ago. If no one has talked about it in that month, it’s wrong.

4. The retweets. Official MCOC tweets rarely get over 100 retweets, let alone 500.

5. Spelling. While not evident in this post, some of these fake posts can’t spell, like this one:

That’s not how you spell either Hulkbuster or Ægon. Kabam knows how to spell the names of their champions.

Hope this helps you identify these fake tweets in the future. If anyone else has any tips, feel free to add on below!

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,756 ★★★★★
    You can also just change the text in an already existing tweet, as long as you have basic html knowledge.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    The main thing is probably that they announce a rebalance on Twitter and not the forums, which is immediately suspicious. Direct gameplay changes probably would not be announced on social media like that
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    edited May 2020
    People still fall for it somehow
  • Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Posts: 593 ★★★
    Don’t think think it’s so black and white. Just my 2 cents. Not everyone hovers around the forums. Or vice versa. I read Twitter more than I do the forums actually.

Anyway. In an ideal world we would hope people look into or research everything said in a social media capacity. But that in and of itself is not realistic. Actually. If you were too research every thing posted on ones personal social media feeds it would likely be impossible.

Whether right or wrong - I’m not debating morality - social media in its various iterations have become people’s news sources. Heck. Even the Wall Street journal gets it wrong and so does bbc news.

I’m not sure what “schooling” someone who read something on Twitter, or saw a photo of what looked like a Twitter post, is going to accomplish exactly.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I never check Twitter for mcoc information, I base myself on the forums or Rich's videos. But I do hope @RichTheMan mentions this thread!

I never check Twitter for mcoc information, I base myself on the forums or Rich's videos. But I do hope @RichTheMan mentions this thread!

if he does, he does. I find him the most reliable news source besides forums.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    They'll never announce Champion changes on Twitter like that. Always on the Forum.

They'll never announce Champion changes on Twitter like that. Always on the Forum.

That’s what I said
  • YeahReallyYeahReally Posts: 54
    If you need a post to tell you that some tweets are fake...
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

If you need a post to tell you that some tweets are fake...

It happens. People believe them.
  • Hera1d_of_Ga1actusHera1d_of_Ga1actus Posts: 2,439 ★★★★★
    *ahem (inspect element)

*ahem (inspect element)

*ahem (some people don’t know how to do that on mobile)