**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Thing Unbreakable Spirit working as intended?

mbracembrace Posts: 822 ★★★
@Kabam Miike When Thing receives damage from a level 3 special attack, his damage reduction from unbreakable spirit does not kick in until after the attack is completed. This means he takes the full damage from the special 3 unless unbreakable spirit was already activated at that time. Is this how the ability is supposed to work? It is unclear if the description means that the first hit to trigger the ability receives full damage or if the ability is meant to absorb the initial blow.

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 7,959 ★★★★★
    Think of it like this.
    You have a shield. You get caught unawares by a attack and it slips by the shield and hits you.
    If you already had your shield in a defensive stance, you wouldn't take any damage.
    See what I mean?
  • Hey there, I checked with the team and this is working correctly. Since SP3s operate a bit differently than normal attacks, his Protection has to activate after the attck.
  • GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    OP - you can use heavy attack to trigger protection when the ai has a sp3
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    Hope they atleast increase his protection duration a bit in the future with a synergy.
  • mbracembrace Posts: 822 ★★★
    I’m not sure what it is about SP3 that should be so different from taking a the first hit from an SP2. Fight Goldpool, for example, and block his unblockable one-hit SP1 or SP2. You won’t take much damage from it if Thing is awakened, because unbreakable spirit will instantly absorb the damage. This seems more like inconsistent and lazy programming.
    Terra said:

Think of it like this.
    You have a shield. You get caught unawares by a attack and it slips by the shield and hits you.
    If you already had your shield in a defensive stance, you wouldn't take any damage.
    See what I mean?

I’m surprise you were able to get an agreement, since the phenomenon you described only happens on SP3. It either works like that or it doesn’t, if that was the general principle behind the ability. I’m guessing that you’ve never experimented with an awakened Thing to see what the ability is supposed to do, because your philosophy would go out the window if you did.
  • QfuryQfury Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★
    Why does things protection work post sp3 but let's say luke cages indestructible will trigger mid sp3? Makes no sense
    If enough people had a problem with this explanation being a bit irrational, then Kabam might feel inclined to review for a potential update...maybe.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    Qfury said:

Why does things protection work post sp3 but let's say luke cages indestructible will trigger mid sp3? Makes no sense

I tend to agree with this logic. Luke Cage can trigger indestructible solely on a hit from an L3. Magneto can cap damage on an L3. So can Gwenpool (to a different extent). Why is Thing's ability to cap damage different than other champs who are able to cap damage from an L3?

All these other champs can cap damage/trigger indestructible on any attack, L3 or otherwise. What makes Thing's protection different?
    "Unbreakable Spirit will also trigger when the Opponent would deal 300% or more of their Attack Rating with a Basic Attack, or 300% or more of their Attack Rating with a Special Attack Hit. This trigger ignores the ability cooldown."

This seems to be the relevant line from Thing's Signature Ability description. There's no exception made for Special 3 attacks. It seems that if Thing's protection would normally trigger immediately by taking a hit from an L1 or an L2 and cap the damage from those attacks, it should behave the same way on an L3.
    Haji_Saab said:

Its for your benefit when fighting thing ... have it fixed at your own peril.

Possibly, though I can't say I remember the last time I used an L3 when fighting against Thing. I'm aware of his protection ability and generally try to attack him with attacks that don't inflict large bursts of damage (often Void). However, I can remember plenty of times when I was using Thing and the enemy gets to 3 bars of power for one reason or another.

All that aside, despite who it helps or hurts, it does seem to not be working as described and thus should be addressed.
    Haji_Saab said:

Haji_Saab said:

Its for your benefit when fighting thing ... have it fixed at your own peril.

Possibly, though I can't say I remember the last time I used an L3 when fighting against Thing. I'm aware of his protection ability and generally try to attack him with attacks that don't inflict large bursts of damage (often Void). However, I can remember plenty of times when I was using Thing and the enemy gets to 3 bars of power for one reason or another.

All that aside, despite who it helps or hurts, it does seem to not be working as described and thus should be addressed.
    But you have control on triggering it through heavy ... so you have benefit of it while controlling him and you can do damage against him when facing him .. win-win.
    I wouldn't say that's the full story. If your protection is on cooldown, your heavy won't refresh it, leaving Thing vulnerable to a big L3. His signature ability specifically suggests that sufficiently strong hits will bypass the cooldown and trigger the protection, but that's not what's currently being seen.

Additionally, even when the protection is not on cooldown, you may not get the opportunity to throw a heavy before an enemy can throw their L3. You could easily slip and take a few hits while protection is not on cooldown. These hits could push your opponent to 3 bars of power. While Thing is recoiling from the hits, he can't throw a heavy and the opponent is free to throw an L3. Thing will see the full damage from that if Protection doesn't trigger until after the L3 is finished.
    @Kabam Zibiit Any thoughts on why Thing’s SP3 protection works differently than Luke Cage, Iceman, Korg, Magneto, Symbiote Supreme, and Gwenpool? Is the honest answer that Thing would have been overpowered if SP3 was included in his unbreakable spirit ability, and so it was deliberately excluded? Otherwise, SP3 being excluded fails to match his ability description. That’s normally considered a bug.