**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Let's talk about passive damage over time and gulk

I don't know how everyone else feel about that gulk won't activate face me while under the effect of passive DOT nodes like flare, degen, etc. But it's been bothering me for a very long time.

Let's talk about what a passive DOT is in my opinion. In the game, we have 2 types of DOT, debuff and passive. Different types of icons are showed as well. A passive DOT is what deals damage but you can't do nothing about it. You can't shrug it off or gain health from willpower. All you can do is suck it up and face the damages, no way to go around it. That's until gulk came along.

Gulk have this ability called face me, which allows him to regen 70% of the damages while under a passive DOT. It's working great against champions like dormammu, magik, omega, etc. But when he is facing nodes causing passive DOT, he won't activate face me. By the definition of passive DOT, nodes like star burst, passive degen, flare, brutal force, aspect of nightmare, special delivery, dismay, etc. should all be causing passive damage over time. But gulk would only be activating face me against star burst.

I just can't make sense of it. Why the other nodes don't count as passive DOT? Are they not passive? Or are they not DOT effects? They sure look passive to me, I can't gain health from willpower nor shrug them off. And I am losing health over a period of time. Or are they some other kind of damage? If they are not, I am expecting you can fix that asap

Care to explain it? @Kabam Miike

Comments

• 13_RFL13_RFL Posts: 16
    edited May 2020
    I understand the time out adjustment, but they do not give a counter to degen . . . One of the reasons people use the Corvus trick/exploit currently. He’s the only counter other than health pots
  • AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    Most folks on degen use gulk, or at least someone with regen. Claire works great with her controlled regen.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    13_RFL said:

I understand the time out adjustment, but they do not give a counter to degen . . . One of the reasons people use the Corvus trick/exploit currently. He’s the only counter other than health pots

The majority of those nodes are meant to be countered by the node itself. Nodes like Flare, Life Transfer, Bane, etc.

And Corvus isn't related to the "time-out" issue. Itjust so happens that the majority of players were using Corvus for that, when any champion would work for it
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Haji_Saab said:

They don't work with Gulk because they are excluded by Kabam who is the game developer and ultimate authority on these things.

Now the argument could be: Should Gulk be included to counter bane and other degen nodes as a buff to him?

In my opinion, that will make him an absolute must-have which is bad for the game to have 1 absolute must-have champion.

I think most people can workaround nodes like Bane so you don't "need" Ghulk, but it would increase his utility by quite a lot. I find Face Me the only reason you would ever want to rank-up Ghulk, but its application is limited to a handful champions/nodes (Dormammu, Mephisto, Domino, Terrax, Magik, Starburst) and each have better counters (except Starburst): Red Guardian/Blade, Blade, Mysterio/Warlock, Magik, Blade. Hey look, three times Blade, so why bother ranking up Ghulk over him?
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Jaximos said:

Gulk counters Omega Red's spores but not Void's debuffs.....that always annoyed me.

Yeah, because Void's DoT is non-specific, you get degen from any debuff, it is not like the DoT comes from the debuff itself, so Face Me should activate.
  • Neffa45Neffa45 Posts: 22

13_RFL said:

The majority of those nodes are meant to be countered by the node itself. Nodes like Flare, Life Transfer, Bane, etc.

And Corvus isn't related to the "time-out" issue. Itjust so happens that the majority of players were using Corvus for that, when any champion would work for it
    I've seen you post about this topic specifically many times now and you keep using the same terminology "those nodes are meant to be countered by the node itself".

Can you please enlighten me as to how this actually makes sense for AQ Map 6 degen path nodes? Is this a fancy way of saying you just die and that's the counter to the node?

I can see your point for Bane, life transfer, hurt locker, etc even though the source of damage from those is still a passive source and GHulk's Face me Tooltip states he should counter it.

I also want to point out that GHulk only regains 70% before any of the "That would be OP" crew chimes in. That's a very decent trade off and balanced yet it still does not work.

@KabaamSam @Kabam Zibiit @""Kabam Lyra"

GHulk deserves at bare minimum access to his description or the description needs to be changed.
  • AldacAldac Posts: 473 ★★★
    I was considering trying Gulk on the degen path in Map 6 but the replies to this don’t seem promising. I take it he doesn’t work?
  • Neffa45Neffa45 Posts: 22
    Aldac said:

I was considering trying Gulk on the degen path in Map 6 but the replies to this don’t seem promising. I take it he doesn’t work?

To answer your question if you are referring to the "actual" Degeneration path that states .60 % health per second is lost then NO he does not work. He does work on some nodes that link with Degeneration like Starburst though so you will recover damage from Starburst.

https://youtu.be/GCvLzFrxgYU

This video is misleading and I'm sure has accounted for many GHulk R5's to run the AQ Map 6 true "Degeneration" path only to be disappointed.

Seatin and other youtubers like Dorky Dave have spoken about this in great length that as a contenet creator when you put out guides or something to help the community and gets "fixed" by the company it has a long lasting negative ripple effect.

• 13_RFL13_RFL Posts: 16
    Is there any clarification on this from the game team? Is there a list of what passive damage Gulk’s Face-Me mechanic works on? Seems to include some but not all, asking for a friend.
    I don’t understand why it doesn’t work on the actual AQ degen path. I mean I get that the response is “just because” but what is the reasoning?
    I agree. I just want to know why, or at least the reasoning for it.
    I don’t think we’re allowed to tag mods in threads.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    13_RFL said:

Is there any clarification on this from the game team? Is there a list of what passive damage Gulk’s Face-Me mechanic works on? Seems to include some but not all, asking for a friend.

They have already clarified multiple times about this being a third category of effects in the game. They have also said that they plan on changing the icon sometime in order to better differentiate from a passive DoT ability
    In that case they should change the description for Gulk.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★

13_RFL said:

I was wondering this myself, (with the potential of a Corvus nerf) Gulk would be the counter to passive damage except that he is not. Map 6 degen isn’t a debuff or willpower should work, so if it’s passive why isn’t Gulks face-me mechanic working?

There is no corvus nerf, only a timeout adjustment.

Corvus will still be the best AQ attacker for most paths. The timeout adjustment will just prevent constantly using corvus by tuning out and reentering fight without items.
    I never understood why people would use the time-out trick anyways. You'll probably get more points by dying then by using it
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    Haji_Saab said:

They don't work with Gulk because they are excluded by Kabam who is the game developer and ultimate authority on these things.

Now the argument could be: Should Gulk be included to counter bane and other degen nodes as a buff to him?

In my opinion, that will make him an absolute must-have which is bad for the game to have 1 absolute must-have champion.

You said so many bad and wrong things at the same time my head hurts.