**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

The physics of the battlerealm: what applies and what doesn’t?

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,595 ★★★★
So I recently made a thread about Iceman and immunities linking to energy. Now there were some people who agreed with this and others who expanded on it. But an astounding number of people told me that the battlerealm doesn’t follow our laws of physics. Now I was sceptical at first but I decided to do my homework and I’ve spend the past few days trying to figure out what laws apply and which of our laws are ignored. Before you say that it’s a comic book universe and we shouldn’t try to apply physics to it read the rest of the post! There is hard evidence in the game that some physics applies.

Now of course the game cannot be super realistic . Otherwise Magneto would auto-win against metal champions and Nick Fury would probably just die against pretty much any mutant or cosmic champion. This thread isn’t to say the game is realistic AT ALL. If anything I’m trying to prove that the game is unrealistic because of its ignorance of some laws.

Gravity

First and foremost gravity. It is present and there’s no argument against that. I’ve even got photo evidence:

Ægon and Groot are ON THE FLOOR. THEY ARE TOUCHING THE GROUND! Gravity right there. This means that in the battlerealm gravity applies. Don’t even try to oppose this.

Now for gravity to apply you need mass. How to get mass? Particles. Particles can have energy (this will be confirmed later) that means the whole Iceman/HT/Sunspot immunities think applies.

Newton’s 3rd law?

So with gravity comes Newton’s laws. I mean in our universe at least. However there is evidence to suggest that Newton’s 3rd law does apply in this battlerealm. Here are some photos:

Now in the first picture we can see Vision at the very moment of hitting Ægon. Before Newton’s law takes place. The second picture is less than 0.5 seconds after the first. In this we see the distance between champions has increased and Vision, the one exerting the force has been moved slightly back after the punch. Not by far but by a bit. Like a punch in our universe. That’s Newton’s 3rd law. His action has an equal and (Probably, we cannot take exact measurements but it’s safe to assume that if there is a reaction it would be equal) opposite reaction, proof of Newton’s 3rd law.

Now the eagle eyed if you will notice I’ve said Newton’s 3rd law. That’s because we cannot say that his 2nd law applies. It’s impossible to say, we don’t have air resistance figures or exact force measurements. We can’t know if that applies or not.

Newton’s 1st law

Now we can also determine that the 1st law applies. If you don’t move and your opponent doesn’t move. Neither of you change position. 1st law. Otherwise there would be some passive floating or sliding between champions

Black holes?

This one has much less evidence to support it but in champion select scenes and quest pages you can see these small anomalies. Don’t know what they are but it seems that there are rocks moving in uniform directions like they would under a gravitational pull, which we have established that exists in the battlerealm.
Photos below

Magnetism

One word. Magneto. Magnetic laws could be a bit fuzzy in the universe but we know there’s a form of magnetic forces in the battlerealm. Photo to keep up the continuity:

Electricity and static

So we don’t know about all the laws of electricity we have but Electro is proof that static exists in the battlerealm

What it also tells us though is that there’s an ATMOSPHERE. Atmospheric laws like air resistance will be present. Great news.

Quantum physics

Now quantum physics is incredibly complicated and hard but we are able to say that quantum physics is a valid concept in the battlerealm. Ghost tells us do in her signature ability

Quantum phasing is a theoretical part of quantum physics that Ghost has access to. Meaning that in the battlerealm quantum passing is possible. This could be an example of something that is possible in game but impossible in real life.

Kinetic energy

Final point is kinetic energy. Cap IW builds it and there’s that node on the 6.3.6 Cap IW Boss that is based around kinetic energy and it’s transference. Kinetic energy in itself isn’t very exciting but it does confirm that energy and fundamental particle physics can be applied to the battlerealm.

Thanks for reading this far and let me know your thoughts. Can you find any more evidence of physical laws in the game? I’ll keep looking and post updates on here.

Comments

• Options
    Mohit_7Mohit_7 Posts: 88
    I can't understand properly what you are trying to explain.
  • Options
    GhostboytjieGhostboytjie Posts: 2,206 ★★★★★
    Where can I learn that language? Google translate doesnt have it
  • Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    edited June 2020
    The easy answer.... It's a different universe. Even within the Marvel Multiverse, MCOC isn't the same Universe as the as the main universe of Earth-616. It's not even the same Universe as the MCU, Earth-199999. MCOC is based in the Earth-TRN517 Universe. While some things are similar to our own universe, or even the universe of any other Marvel Multiverse, because it is it's own entity it means that certain characters will work differently than expected by our own reality rules, and different from any rules of any other Marvel Multiverse.
  • Options
    @ItsDamien I know it’s a different universe I’m trying to single out it’s laws in order to learn more about it. Thanks for the positive feedback though.

For those that don’t understand don’t worry about it this discussion was just me writing down my thoughts on the battle realm.

@Qacob not really no. Anyways what else am I mean to do? It’s not like I can go outside.
  • Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★
    TP33 said:

@Qacob not really no. Anyways what else am I mean to do? It’s not like I can go outside.

Is this your next resort?
  • Options
    TP33 said:

Qacob said:

TP33 said:

Pretty much. Have to excersise the brain somehow

Like this?... Fair enough. I guess you do you and ill do me....
  • Options
    Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    Qacob said:

TP33 said:

Qacob said:

TP33 said:

Do you have a problem with it?
  • Options
    Unio77 said:

Qacob said:

TP33 said:

Qacob said:

TP33 said:

Do you have a problem with it?

Not at all. Just not my idea of fun
  • Options
    DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    This game has talking trees and foul mouthed anthropomorphic raccoons, but let us pause to analyze the physics of hellfire. 😂
  • Options
    @UmbertoDelRio that was very well put! It could be that the battlerealm applies our laws of physics but I did see an argument that if the battlerealm is another universe, and there’s a multiverse, then it must be that in one of these universes the laws of physics differ. Like how there’s a 100% chance of there being a universe in which dog-headed pigs rule the world because there are infinite worlds. But who knows if Newton’s 2nd law of motion or even general relativity applies in the battlerealm? Maybe the battlerealm does have a different set of physics. I mean in the first cutscene of the game the collector says that the normal laws of space and time don’t apply here, he can’t of been lying about that?
  • Options
    Ok to clarify on my point above it was Hammerbro 64 who said that in the previous didcussion
  • Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Some of the laws of Physics in the game don't apply though. The equal and opposite force for example. When you heavy attack someone and they go flying through the air but you don't shift in any direction yourself. Law of physics states an equal and opposite force would be applied to yourself.

There's a channel I used to watch that did a test based on the physics of Mortal Kombat and launching a person clean off the ground with an uppercut and found that it's humanly impossible to do so.
  • Options
    @ItsDamien when you punch somebody do you go flying back into the air? No (at least I hope not) the 3rd law is slightly more complicated then that but as a constant I found that at least 90% of animations actually push the attacker back very slightly
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,641 Guardian
    You didn’t follow through enough on the topic of GRAVITY to discuss the most glaring issue of heroes being able to fly (let's go with Hyperion, although the most obvious subject would be his equivalent character in the DC Universe, who needs to go unnamed in Marvel forums).

In order to fly, one would either need to follow aerodynamics within an atmosphere (either flapping or rotating of wings/rotors to build lift opposite that of the air, or once airborne being able to maintain horizontal flight via “lift” under gliding wings), or via propulsion (equal and opposite reaction, blah, blah) from expelling forced air or controlled energy in opposite direction from where you want to go.

Hyperion, Superm(oops), and others that can fly do not seem to exhibit any of these qualities. Except for Rocket Raccoon's jet pack, and Ironman's suits.

I guess you could argue that Magneto can levitate via Mag.Lev. principles, and could control the extent of his levitation via changing the strength of his magnetism. Although what that would be operating against would have to either be sufficient amount of naturally magnetized iron ore stone in the ground of whatever planetoids/asteroid he were on, or against whatever deeper Iron Core might exist (such as at the center of the Earth). But magnetism is fairly weak at distance.
  • Options
    @SummonerNR have you not seen X-Men apocalypse where Magneto uses the earths core to create a pyramid and destroy the camp where his parents were killed? Also good point. I think Hyperions flight comes from the way he uses wind and energy underneath him, it would be good to see an animation of leaves blowing under him etc.
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    Also what's interesting is that there might be a force pushing back against a character if they move forward. We see this when a character misses an attack, even if the attack is ranged (think WS SP2). The character shifts back slightly when an attack is missed, meaning that the force exerted on the space where another character is standing is somehow directed back to the attacking character.

Of course, this is a mechanic to keep the two characters from both being in the same spot at once, but it's also interesting when this happens with projectile attacks since there is no risk of both characters being in the same spot with a bullet/arrow/etc. attack.
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    A force exists in MCOC preventing characters from corps-a-corps contact.

We see this in the Miss/Phase mechanic, but also in the shifting of placement when a character heavy attacks another character against the wall versus anywhere else on the platform.