Champion Spotlight - Hulkbuster

About Hulkbuster
Tony Stark, man of means and intelligence, knows what to do when it’s time to battle a raging Hulk – build a Hulkbuster exo-frame to bolster your armor. Loaded for maximum strength and power with loads of heavy weaponry, this is a must have for anyone looking to SMASH!

Hulkbuster’s Mechanics

Hulkbuster is a ramping damage and power control Champion. Hulkbuster has received new mechanics based around breaking the opponent’s Block with Unblockable Special Attacks to gain bonus effects on each Special Attack. He also brings new mechanics with slightly different abilities based on him being an Attacker or Defender. Gain more damage and aggressive power as an Attacker, and more health regeneration and tanky stats as a Defender. Watch out for Armor Breaks though, as they will strip him of a lot of his power.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  6548  490  1669
 4-Star  16420  1227  4196
 5-Star  32922  2459  9676
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  42422  3169  12440

Character Class: Tech
Basic Abilities: Armor, Armor Break, Stun, Power Burn

STRENGTHS:
  • Power Control
  • Hulkbuster has both Power Drain as well as Power Lock giving him a ton of control over the opponent's power bar and making fights fairly safe! Master hitting the opponent's Block with your Special 2, and your opponent’s Special Attacks will be a worry of the past.

• Ramping Damage
  • Hulkbuster continuously increases his attack based on how many Shocks the opponent has active on them. Slide in your Heavy Attack or Special 3 to apply Shocks to the opponent and watch your damage go sky high.

• Unblockable
  • All of Hulkbuster’s special attacks will start with an Unblockable buff being applied as soon as they begin. Use this to deal with Auto-Block, or pesky defensive opponents. Just make sure you watch out for it when you come across a wandering Hulkbuster.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Armor Break

• If you break Hulkbuster’s Armor then he will lose a lot of his defensive abilities, so make sure you’re bringing in an Armor Break character to deal with him.

• Shock Immunity
  • Hulkbuster relies on applying Shocks to the opponent. Make sure you aren’t taking him into a fight where he can’t do that!

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

While fighting as an Attacker:
  • Enter Giant-Buster Mode, granting the following:
  • Up to +614 Attack Rating based on how large the opponent is.
  • +688.52 Attack rating for each Shock effect on the opponent.
Developer’s Note: Stacking lots of Hulkbuster's Shocks on the opponent will result in some massive increases in his damage output!

While Fighting as a Defender:
  • Enter Iron Wall Mode, enhancing Hulkbuster’s defensive abilities.
Start of Fight & Every 15 Seconds:
  • Gain an indefinite Armor Up, granting 370 Armor rating
  • Max Stacks in Giant-Buster: 2.
  • Max Stacks in Iron Wall: 4
Brought Below 15% Health - Once Per Fight:
  • Gain an indefinite Armor Up, granting 370 Armor rating
  • If in Iron Wall, gain a second Armor up buff
Fighting Non-Cosmic Champions:
  • For each Armor Up Buff hulkbuster gains the following benefits:
  • +900 energy Resistance
  • +87 Critical Damage Rating
  • Incoming Bleed & Poison Debuffs suffer -25% Potency
  • Enemy attacks suffer -20% Offensive Ability Accuracy
  • Enemy attacks suffer -137 Critical Damage Rating
Developer’s Note:
This stacks for EACH Armor Up buff on Hulkbuster, try and see how many you can get on him!

When Struck by Critical Hits:
  • 60% chance to consume 1 Armor Up Buff to inflict a Shock Debuff, dealing 1598 direct Energy Damage over 10 seconds.
Heavy Attacks:
  • 100% chance to inflict a Shock Debuff, dealing 1352 direct Energy Damage over 10 seconds
Developer’s Note:
Stack as many of these as you can as an attacker to gain some massive damage via the bonus attack granted for each!

Special Attacks:
  • 100% chance to inflict an Armor Break Debuff, removing 1 Armor Up Buff and reducing Armor Rating by 3150 for 20 seconds
  • 100% chance to gain an Unblockable Buff, lasting 1 seconds.
SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1: Hulk-Smasher: A rocket-aided shoulder tackle smashes the armored suit through whatever, or whoever, happens to be in front of it.
  • 100% chance to Stun for 1.50 seconds.
  • If the opponent’s Block is broken by the attack, all of Hulkbuster’s Armor up Buffs are consumed to add +1.25 second(s) duration to the Stun Debuff for each Armor Up consumed this way.
Developer’s Note: Getting the massive stun from breaking an opponent's Block with this attack gives you a great chance to throw in lots of heavy attacks and stack on the Shocks.

Special 2: Hulk-Blaster An uppercut stuns the enemy, setting them up for a powerful Repulsor Ray blast.
  • If the opponent’s Block is broken by this attack, all Beam attacks have a 100% chance to inflict Power Burn, draining 1 Bar(s) of Power per hit and inflicting direct damage proportional to the Power drained.
  • 100% Chance to Power Lock, severing the target’s flow of power for 3.0 seconds.

Special 3: Hulk-BusterThe ultimate in Hulk-Busting technology showcases exactly what it can do.
  • This Attack Drains 50% of the Opponent’s current Power.
  • Inflicts up to 3 Shock Debuffs, with each having a 80% chance to activate, dealing 1352 Energy Damage over 20 seconds.
  • Unblockable Buffs triggered during this attack gain +4.5 seconds duration.

Signature Ability - Veronica Mk IIAn upgrade to the Veronica Protocol allows Hulkbuster to activate a Self-Repair when his Health runs low.

Brought Below 15% Health - Oncer Per Fight
  • 100% chance to activate a Self-Repair Buff lasting 12 seconds and recovering 14814 Health. This Buff is lost if Hulkbuster is Stunned.
  • Giant-Buster: +2827 Attack rating while Self-Repair is active.
  • Iron Wall: +45% Self-Repair Potency.

SYNERGY BONUSES
TECHNOLOGICAL COMPETITION - Unique - With Hulkbuster, Yellowjacket
  • Hulkbuster: Launching a Special Attack converts 1 Armor Up Buff into a Fury Buff, lasting 15 Seconds and granting 30% Attack.
  • Yellowjacket: Power Sting gains +65% Potency.

DON’T MENTION PUNY BANNER! - Unique - With Hulkbuster, Hulk, Hulk (Ragnarok)
  • Hulkbuster: Up to +1000 Armor Rating based on how low Hulkbuster’s current Health is.
  • Hulk (Classic): Immunity to Nullify, Fate Seal and Stagger.
  • Hulk (Ragnarok): Gains up to +1000 Physical Resistance based on how high the Crowd Meter is.

ENGINEERING EXPERTS - Unique - With Hulkbuster, Mr.Fantastic, Black Panther, Black Panther (Civil War)
  • Hulkbuster: Each Shock Debuff reduces the opponent’s Offensive Ability Accuracy during Special Attacks by 15%
  • Mr.Fantastic: +1000 Physical Resistance
  • Black Panther: +40% Bleed Ability Accuracy and potency
  • Black Panther (Civil War): +40% Armor up Ability Accuracy and Potency

Enemies - With Ultron, Cull Obsidian, Ebony Maw, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive
  • All Champions: Gain +155 Critical Rating

Family - With Iron Man, Superior Iron Man, Iron Man (Infinity War)
  • All Champions: Gain +6% Health

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Despair
  • Hulkbuster stacks a ton of debuffs on the opponent, bringing in despair is going to help you control the opponents Regeneration abilities with ease.

Recovery
  • Hulkbuster's Signature Ability gives him a massive regen, Squeezing out some extra Health via the Recovery mastery is a huge win

Coagulate
  • Hulkbuster has some Bleed resists from having armor ups, doubling down on some extra bleed resist will help you mitigate all that bleed damage.
CORRECTED: This Spotlight originally indicated that Hulkbuster would gain 860 Attack Rating per Shock effect on the Opponent, and that he had 100% Chance to Power Lock, severing the target’s flow of power for 3.5 seconds.
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 6,745 ★★★★★
    Does the indefinite armor up you get when dropping below 15% health count to the overall total of armor ups? Or can I already have my 2 Giantbuster armor ups and still get this one?
  • AjisdopeAjisdope Posts: 611 ★★
    Is his update live now?
  • I don't see this mentioned in the spotlight.

During the Beta, and when he was on the Kang/Thanos team's in the arenas, he was able to inflict an armor break debuff just by launching a special attack, without actually having to make any contact with the opponent.

Is this how it is intended for him to work, or was it changed?
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,218 ★★★★
    can i double check, since they decided not to state that sp2 is unblockable but rather they made the extra step of including a separate unblockable buff that activates when a special is used, does this mean that if you evade the physical hit of hulkbuster sp2 the beam attacks that follow after can still be blocked?
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 1,924 ★★★★★

can i double check, since they decided not to state that sp2 is unblockable but rather they made the extra step of including a separate unblockable buff that activates when a special is used, does this mean that if you evade the physical hit of hulkbuster sp2 the beam attacks that follow after can still be blocked?

I think that the beam is blockable.
  • LJFLJF Posts: 27
    Is there any information about his block proficiency? That was a big part of the beta feedback as it was far too low, but I don't see any information about it here.
  • JhonST33JhonST33 Posts: 96
    edited June 26
    In beta test in buffet node when you lounch a special and hit a block they nullify the unblockeable buff, i believed to you fix that and would became the unblockeable buff into a unblockeable pasive.
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 605 ★★★
    Maybe I just read this too fast, but it seems like the beta was useless. The pages of feedback in beta forums and we still got essentially the exact same thing as the beginning of the beta.

Glad I didn't dump resources into him hoping for changes from beta.
  • bob59300bob59300 Posts: 30
    so, how is he compared to the beta ?
  • ImranImran Posts: 470 ★★★
    Can anyone tell what's the difference between beta and this hulkbuster.
  • KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,184 ★★★★
    Looking at this and their new announcement ,i hope they stick to buffing 2 champions a month! Cause after beta with no visible changes it took 3 months and from "voting polls" to beta it took them 7 months!
  • GomezlinkGomezlink Posts: 120
    Do you mean that they will not improve the hulkbuster, but create a beta hulkbuster?
  • Does the indefinite armor up you get when dropping below 15% health count to the overall total of armor ups? Or can I already have my 2 Giantbuster armor ups and still get this one?

If the timer was going for the second Armor Up and then you went under 15% health, you would be able to stack 3 in Giant-Buster mode.
  • DrakeDrake Posts: 85
    Very disappointing. Seatin was on an island by himself when he drooled over HB in the beta and did us all a huge disservice by gushing over how much he hoped HB would go in just like this. The ideas are great, but the implementation was clunky and frustrating. HBs heavy reach is way too short, and giving us no new mechanic that can force a champ into a blocking stance is a bummer. Getting the shocks on and then using them to full effect was, more often than not, an exercise in frustration, having them fall off before any meaningful actions were taken.

Let's hope I'm wrong and he ends up more like a Colossus than a SheHulk or Carnage - both fun and solid damage in perfect situations, but seldom used by almost anyone.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 1,307 ★★★★
    Developer’s Note:
    This stacks for EACH Armor Up buff on Hulkbuster, try and see how many you can get on him!

It maxes out at 3!
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 3,122 ★★★★★
    Any info on his block proficiency?
  • DalBotDalBot Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    I'm curious if suicides count as "incoming" bleed and poison debuffs or not. If they do count then this could be a PHENOMENAL benefit to him.
  • DrakeDrake Posts: 85

Drake said:

Very disappointing. Seatin was on an island by himself when he drooled over HB in the beta and did us all a huge disservice by gushing over how much he hoped HB would go in just like this. The ideas are great, but the implementation was clunky and frustrating. HBs heavy reach is way too short, and giving us no new mechanic that can force a champ into a blocking stance is a bummer. Getting the shocks on and then using them to full effect was, more often than not, an exercise in frustration, having them fall off before any meaningful actions were taken.

Let's hope I'm wrong and he ends up more like a Colossus than a SheHulk or Carnage - both fun and solid damage in perfect situations, but seldom used by almost anyone.

What meaningful actions were you looking for beyond whaling on the opponent once they have shocks on? They last 10 seconds each, so what were you trying to do?
    The first one lasts ten seconds. If you're telling me I can somehow get multiple stacks all at once, I hear you. But as you work to stack up shocks, that 3rd or 4th is getting applied as the 1st is getting ready to fall off. It was surprisingly difficult to get any meaningful damage with the shocks up. Check out BG's vid covering HB during beta. He gave very fair criticisms of the actual functionality of how he plays. He looks great on paper. He's frustrating to play in practice.
  • mbracembrace Posts: 402 ★★
    They should have done more with SP1 and SP3. I don’t want to get stuck using SP2 all the time for any real damage.
  • TeddersTedders Posts: 72
    they needed to extend the stun on the sp1 to make it useful, in beta i found it didn't last long enough even with consuming 2 armour buffs to stack more than a few shocks, really disappointing that after 3 months that none of the beta testers issued where addressed
  • GizGiz Posts: 87
    mbrace said:

They should have done more with SP1 and SP3. I don’t want to get stuck using SP2 all the time for any real damage.

The sp1 still hits hard when you stack some shocks!
  • TaZ_4178TaZ_4178 Posts: 485 ★★
    All the info about the new HB is great, but when will this be live in the contest? With the new update, with the roadmap, with the magneto buff?
  • slackerslacker Posts: 259 ★★
    Wish they could increase shock debuff duration or give him an ability to refresh those shock, like @Drake said he's frustrating to keep those shock active
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 847 ★★
    I'm so ready for the update to become live so I can finally rank him up...
  • Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 652 ★★★
    In V3, with other Techs in the team to increase the duration of his shocks, he will be crazy. Useful in V2 as well, being XL.
  • mbrace said:

YsF said:

So basically increasing that attack per shock debuff from 688 to 860 is the only change and took about 3 months.

The overall buff is pretty good but the time taken is honestly too much.

The best part is that the one change got reverted back to the original attack value a day later. So, literally zero changes took 3 months to complete and test.

Not only that. Apparently the power lock on his sp2 was also changed from the "updated" 3.5 seconds duration, for the previous 3 seconds.

There was at least 2x changes made for him, that made him better than what he was in the beta. Now he is back to what it was