**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

The abyss. Are the rest of the horsemen actually needed?

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
So I’ve got Ægon and have heard 4* HT can do the fights he’s needed for. Is this true? Also is Dr Doom really needed? Any insight is appreciated

Comments

• Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    None of those other champs are needed. They just make it easier as they can counter multiple fights.
  • DrDeadpoolDrDeadpool Posts: 170 ★★
    Aegon is really the only irreplaceable horseman. Obviously its possible without him, but nobody makes it as easy as him. All the others can be replaced. Void can be used instead of torch, sym supreme instead of doom. i've also seen people use 4* torch
  • GercasGercas Posts: 100 ★★
    Doom is not needed But is prefer but if you don’t have doom you need a really good mystic with great nullify like Symbiot supreme.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020
    4* HT can handle the fights, yes. Doesn't mean it's not going to take more revives. Just means he can do them if he needs to. If you have a ranked up and awakened 5 or 6* Void, he's still gonna be the better option. And no, Doom isn't absolutely necessary, but a good nullifier is. Aside from Doom, BWCV and Symbiote Supreme are probably the best options.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    @TP33

I didn't have a 5* Torch either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfmfYpi2uJs

I finished all paths without using Nick Fury and this was the only fight I used Torch for.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    I used Dr. Doom on every path though. There may be other options for some of the fights, but it's tough to beat his utility on the paths. For example, many say Sym Supreme is a better option as your mystic champ for the easy path. They might be right. But as you go through your other paths, you might be thankful if you can bring Doom. Korg can be a bit of a challenge without him, for example.
  • King_Leo321King_Leo321 Posts: 1,211 ★★★
    AEGON is very handy champion rest are easily replaceable with far better option although I still think no one can replace HT in abyss.Send you roster then we maybe able to help.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,052 ★★★★★

I used Dr. Doom on every path though. There may be other options for some of the fights, but it's tough to beat his utility on the paths. For example, many say Sym Supreme is a better option as your mystic champ for the easy path. They might be right. But as you go through your other paths, you might be thankful if you can bring Doom. Korg can be a bit of a challenge without him, for example.

That's what I'd say. Only completed easy path atm, and comparing yt vids of doom in aol and my experience using sym, sym is way better. Don't think there was a fight where I used him that took more then 3 revives, mostly used 2. Also almost soloed vtd (died because of making a mistake myself) and soloed aegon. Haven't seen doom solo anything except bishop, wich a lot of champs can probably do. Same would go for cmm
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    You only need Torch for Deadpool, for every other fight he’s needed for, you can use Void just fine. I didn’t even use Fury for my second path. I’d say that Doom is pretty unreplaceable though
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    None of the horsemen are needed per se, they're probably the most efficient group of champions to get through the content, however. One of the mistakes that I think a lot of people make is attempting to make a like-for-like replacement if they don't have one of the champions. Don't forget that each champion is unique and is able to tackle a different set of champions in AoL.

Of them, Aegon is probably the most important and most difficult to replace as he has so much utility and damage bundled up into his kit.

Any 'God tier' champion can do a lot of the Abyss. In terms of completion you really want to have an answer to the following matchups or you will have a bad time:

Captain Marvel - any Mystic
    Howard the Duck - Either guaranteed crits, or multi hit heavies. Either way you have to accept reduced amount of hits that will deal damage. I used a combination of NF and Corvus
    Medusa - Good stagger/Nullifying mystic
    Champion - Good stagger/Nullifying mystic
    Hyperion - Good stagger/nullifying mystic.
    Loki - With the power draining from his ability I actually found HT to be a pain to use. In the end I used CapIW for him because his block proficiency is so good.
    Mephisto - Torch or Void, though theoretically any incinerate immune should do the job. Colossus would gain a lot of armour ups in this fight, so paired with OR he could probably take a huge chunk down.
    Joe Fixit - Again, this is just an irritating match up. Heal reversal cheese through void or Cap + tech would probably be your best bet.
    Techs - I used Cap and had the armour break synergy so I was able to fight them as normal - it also hamstrung Ghost and made IMIW far easier.
    Collector - If you don't have Aegon, Corvus is probably the next best option. I used CG and still blew about 3000 units on the Collector himself.

Whenever you plan to go in, write down every matchup and allocate a champion from your roster to that matchup, eventually you'll work it all out. If you're going in without Aegon, be prepared to spend a hellish amount of units - I used about 5500 with roughly 25 revives from my stash on top.
  • HilldarHilldar Posts: 194 ★★
    I brought Aegon, doom, fury, quake, torch. Aegon does 85% on his own. Torch is handy for mephisto and mordo but not essential. Gotta have a good mystic, doom/Claire/SS for nullify. I never used fury or quake once but they helped Aegon ramp up faster due to the evade synergy. If I could do it over I’d bring voodoo for the VTD fight.
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    If you have Void I would argue that he is even better than torch for the easy path.

Yes HT can 1 shot Mephisto.
    But Void can do that fight with a few revives as well (if you play it slow), is better vs Mordo (no fear of SP3), can do the last 15% of IMIW very well and can 1 shot Joe Fixit (every time he uses a heavy he rerolls his passives/ so get reg and revers it)
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    Needed? No but do they help? yes