**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance War Matchmaking

Comments

• OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    ABOMB said:

Hello all,

I just wanted to vent about this new matchmaking setup for wars...So our alliance worked our tails off all last season and went from a 400K rating to a 4 million and finally ended with silver 3 which was cool. During the off season we ran wars and ended with a war rating in the 1700s.

Now with the new matchmaking for the current season it sliced our war rating in half..which was fine. Then the new season started..WOW! Place us against a 16 million and a 10 million opponent for our first 2 wars..not fun and not fair. So we decided to all leave and start a new alliance (which sucked but we play the game to have fun not get massacred). Everything was good, we built our team rating up to 7.6 million thru advancement and had very minimal turnover. Then the matchmaking messed up and we missed out on 3 wars just like everyone else, but unfortunately the wars were necessary to earn points and move up in rank. So now we're Silver 2 and close Silver 1 ranking..BUT..guess what..the matchmaking placed us against a 20 million rated Gold 3 alliance for our last war, so no chance at Silver 1 now.

I just can't believe that this is Kabams idea of good matchmaking..its absolutely NOT fun and VERY frustrating for us lower rated alliances. We're not going to create another account for next season but I've seen new alliances with a war rating less than 100, with a team rating of 20 million. Whats going to stop these top allys from constantly creating new alliances every season and massacring all of us lower rated alliances???

I really hope you do something about the matchmaking because going by prestige is the MOST fair to all..

Thank you for letting me vent and voice my concern.
    --ABOMB--

As many have explained, it wouldn't benefit a top alliance to create a new one. The points won during that season would be minuscule and would amount to very small rewards for them.

As for prestige, that was the system we had before and it created a mountain of problems. We needed matchmaking to be based solely on war rating. That's the only way to keep it fair. And finally we got it.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    Sylar said:

I agree though implementation of new matchmaking was not ideal, as kabam went straight to this aw season. Hey, kabam already said it will take time to settle. Hopefully by next season, things will be 'fair'

I thought about trying to reset ratings during the off season, but that simply doesn't work. For one thing, many alliances don't fight wars during the off season. Many or most of those alliances could have woken up in season 19 one or more tiers lower than they ended season 18, since they would have sat out the ratings realignment. This could have hurt the rewards for lower tier alliances and also added a way for higher tier alliances to manipulate their ratings downward.

You could have forced everyone to participate but you can't force alliances to fight as hard as they would during the normal season, which would have made the adjustment period not actually valid. And even if you could have magically forced everyone to treat the off season identically to a normal season, you'd then just be doing what actually happened, except with no season rewards. In other words, instead of alliances potentially getting lower rewards than they would have, everyone would be getting zero rewards. That's actually worse.

The problem fundamentally is that ratings only settle on the proper values when all of the alliances behave like they normally do during a competitive season. And there's no way to make everyone behave that way without actually giving them season rewards. And a set of wars with season rewards is basically just a war season.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Going by prestige is the most fair to all? Then why with prestige matchmaking was my ally stuck in p3/4 while an ally we absolutely obliterated in a 1v1 is ranking ahead of us?
  • Stagedear85Stagedear85 Posts: 774 ★★★
    bro I agree with what you're saying, I've seen 30 million alliance in gold 3 bracket at the start of season and now they're in plat 2 , what they did was start a new alliance win some match in the off season to get better multiplyers so move up a few tiers in the off season and when season start they steam roll their way to to the top and alliances like your self face these unfair matches, and these people in this comment is crying about the system is fair because they're not affected by it and im not but im in a lot of chats on Line app from my old alliances and some are affected by this and there's a lot of top alliance that does that in the off season once they heard about the change in war rating. next season you will see a lot of alliances jumping to a shell alliances.
  • ABOMBABOMB Posts: 564 ★★★
    edited August 2020
    DNA3000 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Going by prestige is the most fair to all? Then why with prestige matchmaking was my ally stuck in p3/4 while an ally we absolutely obliterated in a 1v1 is ranking ahead of us?

Apparently, what matters to some people is their alliance always get match ups with alliances of identical composition, regardless of win/loss record. Isn't that how all competitions work? I mean, there's ... there's ... well I'm sure it happens in some kindergarten somewhere.
    All I wanted to do was vent, didn't mean to mess anybodys universe up..good grief!

I'm glad that most all of you seem to like this new system and many make valid points. I've checked the top several 100 alliance ratings of ranks: silver 2, silver 1, and gold 3. The problem for us little alliances if that this new matchmaking is going to take much longer than this season to smooth out..and thats what sucks beings that our (alliance prestige) is not as high because we're still building. Must be difficult to understand that from your all perspectives though.
    Guess we're just going to have to take it on the chin for a while longer and thats fine I guess..just hope it levels out sooner rather than later.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    ABOMB said:

DNA3000 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Apparently, what matters to some people is their alliance always get match ups with alliances of identical composition, regardless of win/loss record. Isn't that how all competitions work? I mean, there's ... there's ... well I'm sure it happens in some kindergarten somewhere.
    All I wanted to do was vent, didn't mean to mess anybodys universe up..good grief!

I'm glad that most all of you seem to like this new system and many make valid points. I've checked the top several 100 alliance ratings of ranks: silver 2, silver 1, and gold 3. The problem for us little alliances if that this new matchmaking is going to take much longer than this season to smooth out..and thats what sucks beings that our (alliance prestige) is not as high because we're still building. Must be difficult to understand that from your all perspectives though.
    Guess we're just going to have to take it on the chin for a while longer and thats fine I guess..just hope it levels out sooner rather than later.
    Actually the lower tier alliances will probably always run the chance of a lopsided war matchup as retirement alliances are created. Over time these should be less common but they will continue to pop up. Best advice for smaller alliances who hit these matchups is to use it as a learning experience.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    ABOMB said:

DNA3000 said:

Lvernon15 said:

What do you mean levels out though? A new, low ranked alliance shouldn't be placing high. Once you build your rosters, with good organization you'll be able to climb but there's certainly no reason at this point you should be in silver 2 or anything.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,192 ★★★★★
    I love how quick others are to tell people to get over it and get good. If it was their Ally, they'd be here posting everyday.
    No. I'm here because I saw the effects of this coming when they announced the change, and I knew people were going to have to deal with being stonewalled when they had valid complaints.

I love how quick others are to tell people to get over it and get good. If it was their Ally, they'd be here posting everyday.

GroundedWisdom..I appreciate your support and points! Some peeps will never get it..they refuse to look at it from any other point of view but their own.
    With them its always get better or learn to play the game..well I know how, I'm cavalier and went through the ringer getting there. My prestige is just shy of 9K..but all that isn't the point. A 7.6 million alliance has no business being matched with a 20 million alliance..Period.

Why don't some of you try playing act 6 with 3 stars then let me know how it feels..because its no different then whats happening to us smaller alliances being matched with such high powered teams.
    xNig said:

No. I'm here because I saw the effects of this coming when they announced the change, and I knew people were going to have to deal with being stonewalled when they had valid complaints.

A prophet!

I’m sure you also saw that people will eventually deal with it and drop enough tiers to be matching alliances of their same level.

Which also means that you’ve foreseen all your arguments currently will be invalidated in about 2 weeks or so.

After that you can also claim to be the “I told you so” guy. 👍🏻
    Really 2 weeks..okay because thats what was being said at the start of the season but yet here we are with the last war and its still skewed this bad. Its going to be another season or two before things settle..if they ever do.
    Its easy to talk down when your allys prestige is so high and don't have to deal with it.
  • QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 799 ★★★★
    It is skewed this bad because we've had 10 seasons for war ratings to get so out of whack.
    xNig said:

A prophet!

I’m sure you also saw that people will eventually deal with it and drop enough tiers to be matching alliances of their same level.

Which also means that you’ve foreseen all your arguments currently will be invalidated in about 2 weeks or so.

After that you can also claim to be the “I told you so” guy. 👍🏻
    I'm sure if you read the Thread discussing when this was announced, you'd see I knew this would happen and that halving the Rating wouldn't stop the unheard of mismatches.
    As for your second comment, all that translates to is you don't care what effect it has on these people. I could have deduced that by now. You might as well just come out and say only larger Allies matter. That's the gist of it. Our problems matter, theirs don't. That's the difference between the status quo and my point of view. I don't value one problem over the other, and I don't consider ignoring the other as a solution to everything. No matter how much the change is justified, it doesn't take away the effect this has had, and still has, on honest Players who matter just as much as an Alliance of 80 Mil. They're all Players whose work matters.
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    You guys may have missed the details here, the gold 2 20m alliance is last seasons rating, for them to be this low right now they are probably not that great, Possibly just finished a rebuild. For perspective An alliance like mine were 30m and silver 1 last season, we have displaced a lot of teams like that with the fixed matchmaking System. if they don’t have skills they are probably battling out for s1 themselves now, skill is back in the system, we got beat by a sold 22m (plat 4 alliance last war and I had Nothing but respect for them.
    No, actually. The OP's point was the same. They're getting Matches they can't compete with. It's happened all Season. 900k Rating vs. 19 Mil, 1 Mil vs. 20 Mil, Bronze 3 vs. Gold 3, the list goes on and on. Only people keep ignoring that fact because they're going up as a result of the change. There's a right way and a wrong way to fix the situation and I've seen Used Car Dealers that don't have the ability to spin things as much as some of the justifications. There's no conscience about it. No acknowledgement of what other people are going through. Just praise for mounting on the backs of people much, much weaker. This Season has been anything but a competition.
    Speeds80 said:

You guys may have missed the details here, the gold 2 20m alliance is last seasons rating, for them to be this low right now they are probably not that great, Possibly just finished a rebuild. For perspective An alliance like mine were 30m and silver 1 last season, we have displaced a lot of teams like that with the fixed matchmaking System. if they don’t have skills they are probably battling out for s1 themselves now, skill is back in the system, we got beat by a sold 22m (plat 4 alliance last war and I had Nothing but respect for them.

They're ranked Gold 3 right now and all 30 are participating in the war, as are we. We've beaten allys as high as 4 million in rating better then us..but 13 million is a bit much. I really don't see how a reasonable person dont see the flaw in that. Its not about the rewards..its just plain not fun or enjoyable at that point. Isn't FUN and ENJOYABLE why we all play the game?
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    ABOMB said:

GroundedWisdom..I appreciate your support and points! Some peeps will never get it..they refuse to look at it from any other point of view but their own.
    With them its always get better or learn to play the game..well I know how, I'm cavalier and went through the ringer getting there. My prestige is just shy of 9K..but all that isn't the point. A 7.6 million alliance has no business being matched with a 20 million alliance..Period.

Why don't some of you try playing act 6 with 3 stars then let me know how it feels..because its no different then whats happening to us smaller alliances being matched with such high powered teams.
    As mentioned in a previous post, I have been placed against alliances we had no hope of beating a couple of times this season, I just didn’t cry about it. I did laugh when it turned out that one 40mil group that steamrolled us ranked 2 reward tiers below us, because that shows how broken prestige matchmaking is.
    If the 7.6mil alliance has a similar war rating to the 20mil rated alliance that’s fair game because war rating is a number given to your alliance that’s supposed to represent its skill and roster strength combined versus every other alliance, you win, it goes up, you lose it goes down. and remember, I’m saying this as someone that has faced wars we had no chance of winning this season, I just understand that those alliances clearly deserve to rank higher.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    Same discussion again. smh
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    ABOMB said:

Speeds80 said:

They're ranked Gold 3 right now and all 30 are participating in the war, as are we. We've beaten allys as high as 4 million in rating better then us..but 13 million is a bit much. I really don't see how a reasonable person dont see the flaw in that. Its not about the rewards..its just plain not fun or enjoyable at that point. Isn't FUN and ENJOYABLE why we all play the game?
    Do you not see the flaw that had my 30m alliance fighting for silver 1 and gold 3 for 5 seasons. If you have a rough patch you need to be able to access easier fights, if your war ratings are the same then you have had a good run and they have had a bad run, the fact you started from scratch during the season means your overall seasons points will be lower, you didnt have as many wars as them, and you played several of your wars at terrible multipliers, this actually means if you had been in all season you would probably be in g3 running as well, your starting a new alliance of course is going to skew all results and to expect big results from a season you started an alliance partway through? You’ve had 5 wars how do you expect realistic results?

• Jkw634Jkw634 Posts: 283 ★★
    The old prestige based was broken. The new aw rating is how it should be and should even out where everyone should be by first few weeks of next aw season due to a week. It counting this season it’s behind. The only thing I see that has changed is the points won and loss has become unfair it has gone both ways against our alliance. Usually that’s how you tell what kind of matchup you should have. 2 times including this time we are facing an alliance 800-1000 less prestige and they did struggle and are now and the won loss war rating is equal. Then 2 wars ago we faced an equal prestige alliance with 2 million more allliance rating. With a win we would have only gained 44 points with a loss lose 88 Points. We lost. 88 points is like losing 2 wars
  • AwesomoChaosAwesomoChaos Posts: 78
    As long as every alliance has access to the same pool of rewards, you can't whine about "impossible" matchups. To be the best, you have to beat the best. If your 5 million alliance can't beat a 20 million alliance, you have to 1) get better skill; 2) join/form a better alliance with stronger members; or 3) accept that you won't be getting the same prizes as a stronger alliance.
  • AwesomoChaosAwesomoChaos Posts: 78
    Since everyone''s rehashing the same thing in another thread, when's the 5* dual crystal coming out? ;)