**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

So why even have the remaining options in AW Defense?

Mike192Mike192 Posts: 624 ★★★
If you don't know or weren't aware of, Stubborn is the new meta of AW defense tactics and you will very rarely see Flow used now. And if its hard for you to remember the names of the other 2 (or is it 3?) Defense tactics, then don't worry, you are not alone.
Bulwark and Protect tactics are something you will virtually NEVER see! This begs the question, why even offer these choices or better yet, why not revamp then again?

The whole point of these tactics was to make AW more vibrant and less stale in a way that most players who ran a set path knew exactly who they will face there. This has also ruled out lots of champions (such as quake or ghost - note, you can still use them but it beats the purpose of '0 block damage') that some people might have ranked up specifically for war pre defense tactics update.

I would like to see Kabam working on AW Defense tactics in a way that they aren't repetitive and alliances actually think hard about which tactic to set instead of blindly going for Stubborn every war. One solution could be that every season, Kabam randomly assigns a whole week of these tactics and players play by those rules just so the wars are more mixed and new instead of similar throughout the season. They can send a message to leaders saying Week 1 - Stubborn, Week 2 - Flow, Week 3 - Bulwark etc. which would all be random for a whole week but still give a heads up to officers while setting up defense and offense.

Alternatively, they can do another rework for AW but I feel they will miss the mark again, much like they missed the first 2 times. It sucks but having spent all that time working on AW def tactics and everyone ends up using just Stubborn (or flow rarely).

What do you guys think? Are you 100% satisfied with war? Or do you think there needs to be another overhaul?

Comments

• KeepinItRealKeepinItReal Posts: 229
    edited September 2020
    100% agree, our alliance isn't seriously running AWar until they nerf or remove D.Tactics. There has been & prob will be 1-2 toughest each Season. Even if they keep tweaking them to get balance. D.Tactics seriously effect defenders, attackers, boost/items usage, loyalty/glory spent & which paths are run. Worst part is they can also decide individuals champ RUps to help their alliance (if being a team player), instead of who they may want/like to or need for other content. Imo D.Tactics have ruined AW. They can creatively find other ways to make AW fresh, challenging & competitive.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    I think we'll see them shift over time. Nature abhors a vacuum, and we know from past history they switch things up over time so it doesn't become stale or repetitive. It's for that reason I'm waiting for Mixmaster to go. Good Lord, I'm tired of that Node. Lol.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★
    they have nerfed stubborn and the nodes so much that most of the time, you don't even notice them anymore outside of a couple of matchups, the days of flow and hard war are over
  • KeepinItRealKeepinItReal Posts: 229

I think we'll see them shift over time. Nature abhors a vacuum, and we know from past history they switch things up over time so it doesn't become stale or repetitive. It's for that reason I'm waiting for Mixmaster to go. Good Lord, I'm tired of that Node. Lol.

Def Agree Lol. Mix-master by itself isn't crazy, but then add a tricky/tough defender & D.Tactic on top of that. Just isn't fun anymore & we all still figure out best options/nodes to place or counter anyway.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    I'm not surprised that stubborn became the most used or pretty much insta lock option. people would eventually figure out the optimal setups to create the most amount of hard fights. as whales get new champs for awd, the meta might move, but Itill be very slow
    Mike192 said:

they have nerfed stubborn and the nodes so much that most of the time, you don't even notice them anymore outside of a couple of matchups, the days of flow and hard war are over

That is true but it still beats the fact that we havent seen any other tactic used at all. We had our first flow / non-stubborn war yesterday in 2 seasons which was a good change of pace. Its true that stubborn is better than initially introduced (3 indestr.) but its still making AW a bit stale. We face almost the same champions on our paths each war in Plat 3 and Im guessing its the same for you in Masters as well.
    But that will happen no matter what. No matter what tactic is the current meta tactic, eventually people will figure out the best placements. It would be the same no matter what tactic was used.
    Mike192 said:

Mike192 said:

That is true but it still beats the fact that we havent seen any other tactic used at all. We had our first flow / non-stubborn war yesterday in 2 seasons which was a good change of pace. Its true that stubborn is better than initially introduced (3 indestr.) but its still making AW a bit stale. We face almost the same champions on our paths each war in Plat 3 and Im guessing its the same for you in Masters as well.
    But that will happen no matter what. No matter what tactic is the current meta tactic, eventually people will figure out the best placements. It would be the same no matter what tactic was used.
    Agreed, what would be your solution to that then? I do think randomly allocating a tactic each week would work. But that might not be the best solution. I do not have an issue facing Stubborn tactics but it becomes repetitive and stale.
    I would just only allow each tactic to be used twice. 6 tactics, 2 times each (or whatever it is, 4 tactics and 3 times, etc.)