**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Bringer of Death 1--Psylocke Synergy Review

StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
Most of you know that I have a 6r3 Psylocke that I love except for her damage output. Luckily, Apoc has a synergy that is supposed to greatly increase her crit rating and her damage, so I really wanted to get him as at least a five star to beef up my favorite champ.
Well, I went against my better judgement and bought both the Cavalier Early Access bundles for Apoc. 100 dollars down the drain for an awakening of my five star Juggernaut and a new 3 star Prof X. Ratfish. So I went against my better, better judgement and bought both the Grandmaster Early Access bundles. 60 dollars to add another 20 sigs on Ant-Man and a shiny new four star Apocalpyse. Great! I can't take him into Act 6 to try out the Psylocke synergy, obviously, so I took them into Cav EQ. This synergy is...disappointing.
Granted, my Psylocke skills are a little rusty and I was practicing in the Kinetic Transference quest (which isn't a good node for Psylocke), but I was still very disappointed in the damage output and I immensely regret spending 160 dollars to try and get this synergy. On the bright side, I know now that it's not worth dropping my units on Cav crystals or using my Cyber Weekend units on his crystals like I was planning on.
Let's break down why I found this synergy so lackluster.
First off, Backdraft Intercepting, which is absolute key to Psylocke play, seems to either be broken or has changed and I can no longer reliably backdraft without my intercept getting intercepted, which was never the case when I used to play Psylocke regularly. If Backdraft Intercept has been changed, Psylocke is useless and I would like rank-down tickets.
Secondly, her damage just isn't there, even with the 50% attack boost and additional crit rating. I have 5/65s and 4/55s that can hit harder than Psylocke, even when the opponent is at 0 power. I expected this synergy to rectify her meager damage output, but it didn't.
Thirdly, I'm not sure that the extra 5% crit rating per Psi-Charge is working correctly, at 20 Psi-Charges, Psylocke should be citing every single hit and she wasn't. Actually, I just checked the synergy right now and this is what it reads: "Bringer of Death 1-- Psylocke: Basic Attacks have a 30% chance to grant a psi-charge." That's it. It doesn't say anything about the psi-charges granting additional crit rating.
Overall, I'm incredibly disappointed by this synergy and regret spending money on it greatly.

Comments

• PseudouberPseudouber Posts: 748 ★★★
    edited September 2020
    I feel your pain. I dumped 160 and didn't even get 1 5* champ or any sort. I came out of my spending hibernate on a try for this and pulls are still so sad. I guess I can go back to saving money and I don't mind spending some money on games but damn!. I forgot how bad it was. They make you feel lucky to just not get ripped off and you never really get your moneys worth unless you get the champ your going for and that's still a high price to pay for a digital champ lol. I really wanted Apocolypss to use with my 4* wolverine and 5* AA but nope..I did pull a 4* but he doesn't have those synergies FML lol.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★

I feel your pain. I dumped 160 and didn't even get 1 5* champ or any sort. I came out of my spending hibernate on a try for this and pulls are still so sad. I guess I can go back to saving money and I don't mind spending some money on games but damn!. I forgot how bad it was. They make you feel lucky to just not get ripped off and you never really get your moneys worth unless you get the champ your going for and that's still a high price to pay for a digital champ lol. I really wanted Apocolypss to use with my 4* wolverine and 5* AA but nope..I did pull a 4* but he doesn't have those synergies FML lol.

I forgot how painful the early access bundles are. I normally only spend big on July 4th and Cyber Weekend so this hurt even more since it wasn’t one of my normal spends. At least on those days were guaranteed good value. Oh well, such is RNG. At least I got a bunch of boosts and some shards.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
    I’m sorry. You can vent your frustrations by soloing Cav Apocalypse with Psylocke?
  • BlackOracleBlackOracle Posts: 254 ★★★
    With the 20 charges though how much damage did you do on the heavy attack?

With the 20 charges though how much damage did you do on the heavy attack?

Idk, but at 36, it was about 67K
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Dang dude

Well on the bright side, thanks for testing it out for all of us and giving us your opinion as you are the owner of a 6r3 Psylocke.
  • MattstafariMattstafari Posts: 688 ★★★
    Ouch, that's disappointing but, I guess we can hope that since the synergy doesn't really boost her up much then she might be higher up in the rework list.
  • Rayaan_2000Rayaan_2000 Posts: 655 ★★★

Most of you know that I have a 6r3 Psylocke that I love except for her damage output. Luckily, Apoc has a synergy that is supposed to greatly increase her crit rating and her damage, so I really wanted to get him as at least a five star to beef up my favorite champ.
    Well, I went against my better judgement and bought both the Cavalier Early Access bundles for Apoc. 100 dollars down the drain for an awakening of my five star Juggernaut and a new 3 star Prof X. Ratfish. So I went against my better, better judgement and bought both the Grandmaster Early Access bundles. 60 dollars to add another 20 sigs on Ant-Man and a shiny new four star Apocalpyse. Great! I can't take him into Act 6 to try out the Psylocke synergy, obviously, so I took them into Cav EQ. This synergy is...disappointing.
    Granted, my Psylocke skills are a little rusty and I was practicing in the Kinetic Transference quest (which isn't a good node for Psylocke), but I was still very disappointed in the damage output and I immensely regret spending 160 dollars to try and get this synergy. On the bright side, I know now that it's not worth dropping my units on Cav crystals or using my Cyber Weekend units on his crystals like I was planning on.
    First off, Backdraft Intercepting, which is absolute key to Psylocke play, seems to either be broken or has changed and I can no longer reliably backdraft without my intercept getting intercepted, which was never the case when I used to play Psylocke regularly. If Backdraft Intercept has been changed, Psylocke is useless and I would like rank-down tickets.
    Secondly, her damage just isn't there, even with the 50% attack boost and additional crit rating. I have 5/65s and 4/55s that can hit harder than Psylocke, even when the opponent is at 0 power. I expected this synergy to rectify her meager damage output, but it didn't.
    Thirdly, I'm not sure that the extra 5% crit rating per Psi-Charge is working correctly, at 20 Psi-Charges, Psylocke should be citing every single hit and she wasn't. Actually, I just checked the synergy right now and this is what it reads: "Bringer of Death 1-- Psylocke: Basic Attacks have a 30% chance to grant a psi-charge." That's it. It doesn't say anything about the psi-charges granting additional crit rating.
    Overall, I'm incredibly disappointed by this synergy and regret spending money on it greatly.

I've come across the backdraft intercept problem a lot recently while doing 5.4 exploration, you'd think that the 5.4 AI should be aggressive and keep running into you but the defenders seem surprisingly subdued, as if you woke them up early in the morning or something, and that is giving me a lot of problems, especially because I use proxima a lot and her intercept mission is becoming difficult to complete

• Thirdly, I'm not sure that the extra 5% crit rating per Psi-Charge is working correctly, at 20 Psi-Charges, Psylocke should be citing every single hit and she wasn't. Actually, I just checked the synergy right now and this is what it reads: "Bringer of Death 1-- Psylocke: Basic Attacks have a 30% chance to grant a psi-charge." That's it. It doesn't say anything about the psi-charges granting additional crit rating.

@StevieManWonder

To speak directly to this point the crit rating is heavily affected by diminishing returns. Although you'll never reach a 100% crit rate I found my 6* in testing to reach a very good amount of crit rate. The text also wasn't updated to start but it has been updated and reads correctly now.

I tested her as a 6* In the Content Creator Beta, and honestly found her a ton more enjoyable compared to my 6* r3 testing before without. It may not feel like that much, and she is certainly not as strong as other 6* r3s, this felt like a massive increase for her. LoL OML down in 320 hits for me. ~7k Mediums, ~5k light crits, and a 50k Special 2. Not incredible but no slouch either I think. Once I got to 30-40 charges (which was relatively easy with the 30% on a basic hit), I found her crit rate to be really good. I also did fine backdrafting with Psylocke took me a bit to get back into the rhythm of but once I did it worked as normal. Interested to hear your thoughts on my testing, mad props to you having her r3 on Live!
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    The thing about crit rating is that it’s subject to diminishing returns so you only need so much up to a point where it stops becoming beneficial. The synergy is deceptively exciting, but depending on Psylocks base crit rating plus masteries it really comes off as patronizing because a champion really only needs so much crit rating. Giving a champion a ton of crit rating unfortunately isn’t suddenly going to turn them into Starky, Corvus or Ghost.

You can test this on Carnage by bringing a team of 4 Carnages and a Venom then building up all precision buffs, the difference between 2-3 and max precisions isn’t noticeable. For Psylocke to do some real damage shes needs an attack boost or prowess since cruelty is also subject to diminishing returns. Carnage only needs 2 cruelty’s before they become inefficient according to this Reddit post. Just some food for thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContestOfChampions/comments/ikgk52/carnages_best_damage_build_and_rotation/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

@StevieManWonder

To speak directly to this point the crit rating is heavily affected by diminishing returns. Although you'll never reach a 100% crit rate I found my 6* in testing to reach a very good amount of crit rate. The text also wasn't updated to start but it has been updated and reads correctly now.

I tested her as a 6* In the Content Creator Beta, and honestly found her a ton more enjoyable compared to my 6* r3 testing before without. It may not feel like that much, and she is certainly not as strong as other 6* r3s, this felt like a massive increase for her. LoL OML down in 320 hits for me. ~7k Mediums, ~5k light crits, and a 50k Special 2. Not incredible but no slouch either I think. Once I got to 30-40 charges (which was relatively easy with the 30% on a basic hit), I found her crit rate to be really good. I also did fine backdrafting with Psylocke took me a bit to get back into the rhythm of but once I did it worked as normal. Interested to hear your thoughts on my testing, mad props to you having her r3 on Live!
    I was under the impression that the synergy gave her a flat +5% per psi-charge not a multiplicative(I think that's the right word?) increase, so I was expecting that once I hit 20 Psi-Charges I would have a 100% crit rating and thus guaranteed crits. Is your Psylocke awakened on the beta? Mine is unawakened and she does get a nice damage bonus through her awakened ability once the opponent is at zero power. About the backdrafting, I was able to backdraft just on the Act 7 Beta, but in the live game, it's consistently screwy. Overall, I'm still very happy with Psylocke, but the synergy is not as good as I was expecting to be and so I won't be going hard for Apoc.
  • Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,610 ★★★★★
    The main reason my magik still sits at rank 4 back draft has become a pain these days after the 4 hit combo they just hold block or stand still and wait to intercept you especially when am using magik.

• I was under the impression that the synergy gave her a flat +5% per psi-charge not a multiplicative(I think that's the right word?) increase, so I was expecting that once I hit 20 Psi-Charges I would have a 100% crit rating and thus guaranteed crits. Is your Psylocke awakened on the beta? Mine is unawakened and she does get a nice damage bonus through her awakened ability once the opponent is at zero power. About the backdrafting, I was able to backdraft just on the Act 7 Beta, but in the live game, it's consistently screwy. Overall, I'm still very happy with Psylocke, but the synergy is not as good as I was expecting to be and so I won't be going hard for Apoc.

So it is a flat 5%, but each 5% becomes, "worth less" I guess is the best way to describe it. Say the first one is 5%, next is 4.95, next 4.9, etc. That is my basic understanding of Diminishing Returns, that's not the real math of it idk what it is. So you will reach a very high crit rate eventually (Psylocke was probably doing like 80-90% after like 40-50 charges, which I did get pretty quickly.

I did bring Psylocke to sig 200, which is probably helping her crit damage quite a bit (but there is no change in the damage from sig 1-200). I honestly haven't tried the synergy too much on live with Psylocke at r1 but was planning on it, in general I personally haven't noticed any change in backdraft and I was doing it plenty in stuff like Summoner Showdown. I think for sure Psylocke could use a bit more, but personally I am really happy to see her get a bonus for keeping alot of Psi-charges up, in addition to the raw damage increase.
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    I imagine it’s 5% of Psylocks crit rating so 5% times 20 still wouldn’t give her 100% crit because 5% of Psylocks crit rating would have to hit the crit rating cap which I don’t think exist and if it did more then 20 charges are probably needed. You’d hit the dimishing return cap way before so you’d never be able to crit every hit.
  • ImranImran Posts: 587 ★★★
    edited September 2020
    Out of all the cool apocalypse synergy, her synergy with apocalypse is the worst. Youtubers don't even posting her video because how suck her damage.
  • WRIRWRIR Posts: 563 ★★★
    Nope not crit chance crit rating so it just doubles crit rating. Diminishing returns means its less than double crit chance.
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★
    The increase in crit rating usually applies to the base crit rating only. That means only 100% increase to her 756 base crit rating as a 6* rank 3 (1512 overall before masteries and her passive).

The synergy seems negligible because it almost is. She has a pretty high crit rate to start on her base kit. In ideal scenario with opponent at zero power you are only seeing a 6% increase in crit rate with Apoc synergy.

• SavageSavage Posts: 621 ★★★
    edited September 2020

I've seen a 4/55 psylocke take out rol storm and seeing that you have a r3 6* I don't really see an issue with her damage. Isn't like over 8.5k mediums for a r3* 6* psylocke with suicides? Considering she has a very high crit rate and decently hitting sp2 (equivalent to Magik w/Warlock and Morningstar synergies) plus that hard hitting heavy attack, what's so bad about her damage? Maybe at the time you tested Psylocke the synergy wasn't active yet? It just doesn't seem to add up. More of a utility champ than damage similar to Warlock, Apocalypse, Claire, Void, etc
    Savage said:

I've seen a 4/55 psylocke take out rol storm and seeing that you have a r3 6* I don't really see an issue with her damage. Isn't like over 8k mediums for a r3* 6* psylocke with suicides? Considering she has a very high crit rate and decently hitting sp2 (equivalent to Magik w/Warlock and Morningstar synergies) plus that hard hitting heavy attack, what's so bad about her damage? Maybe at the time you tested Psylocke the synergy wasn't active yet? It just doesn't seem to add up.
    I generally don’t run Suicides and to be fair, my view on damage is probably skewed because I’m used to using high damage champions. I ranked up Psylocke for her utility so her damage isn’t the biggest thing to me but I’d prefer to see a bump in it.
    edited September 2020

Savage said:

I've seen a 4/55 psylocke take out rol storm and seeing that you have a r3 6* I don't really see an issue with her damage. Isn't like over 8k mediums for a r3* 6* psylocke with suicides? Considering she has a very high crit rate and decently hitting sp2 (equivalent to Magik w/Warlock and Morningstar synergies) plus that hard hitting heavy attack, what's so bad about her damage? Maybe at the time you tested Psylocke the synergy wasn't active yet? It just doesn't seem to add up.
    I generally don’t run Suicides and to be fair, my view on damage is probably skewed because I’m used to using high damage champions. I ranked up Psylocke for her utility so her damage isn’t the biggest thing to me but I’d prefer to see a bump in it.
    Anything is better than nothing tbh. She already has 75% aar, power lock, passive enervate, and easy to acess power drain. Suprised she doesn't get enough love already. Her damage and playstyle seems similar to Magik w/Warlock and Morningstar now.
    Savage said:

Savage said:

Anything is better than nothing tbh. She already has 75% aar, power lock, passive enervate, and easy to acess power drain. Suprised she doesn't get enough love already. Her damage and playstyle seems similar to Magik w/Warlock and Morningstar now.
    She needs to be awakened to have the bonus damage and AAR though, the only bad thing about it. Mine is unawakened so she has a lower damage output. But yeah, I’m surprised she doesn’t get more love too.
    zeezee57 said:

This is disappointing to hear since I have a 6* psylocke and wanted this synergy too. I love psylocke but her lower damage combined with the stupid offensive power rate gimp they gave her has me turn to magik when power control is my gameplan. Was hoping this would change that when I finally get Apocalypse. Have you tested again since the synergy was updated and if so were the results the same? I find it surprising that her damage would be that bad with the synergy and horseman boosts all active. Any chance you could post some video of her? I'd love to see it first hand since apparently non of the YouTubers seem to be showcasing her.

Also I've seen the comments about diminishing returns but even with that being the case the 5% increase per charge should still show great results after a few charges. My R1 6* has a crit rate of 721 (26.5%) so each charge would provide an increase of 36, assuming it's not meant as a 5% flat crit chance increase. At about 10 charges she'll be right there with Elsa's game high crit rate and Elsa crits constantly.

I recorded some initially before the synergy got fixed but I haven’t played her since. If I have the time today, I’ll record some more and post it. I can’t test her in Act 6 though because my Apocalypse is a four star.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,045 ★★★★★
    WRIR said:

Nope not crit chance crit rating so it just doubles crit rating. Diminishing returns means its less than double crit chance.

It's crit rate and crit damage rate, I belive.

With kabam I can safely bet that they just add 5% of her crit rate in numeric form, wich doesn't really says anything, let it be 1000. Then you have +50 crit rate, and then they somehow (only they know how, I've never seen any specific formula and would appreciate anyone showing it) convert it to % crit rate. This conversion is not linear, so if 1000 crit rate is equal to 30%, with 2000 crit rate you may have 40% instead of 60%.
    Personally I dislike that system a lot, as player can't say, how much he gets when he brings some champ for crit rate synergy. Same would go for other base parameters probably
    edited September 2020
    Props to MCOC Doc for the video. Yeah... Psylocke is going to have some really good damage for a utility champ. God Tier Promotion? Maybe even top 10 mutant contender?

https://youtu.be/a-pQCL1fVA8
    Savage said:

Props to MCOC Doc for the video. Yeah... Psylocke is going to have some really good damage for a utility champ. God Tier Promotion? Maybe even top 10 mutant contender?

Dang, makes me wish mine was awakened.
    edited September 2020

Savage said:

It seems that the extra crit damage from the sig ability along with the horseman synergy's attack increase scale greatly with suicides. 11k mediums with insane crit rate is amazing. 80k heavies with about 20 psi charges is pretty crazy too.
    Savage said:

Savage said:

It seems that the extra crit damage from the sig ability along with the horseman synergy's attack increase scale greatly with suicides. 11k mediums with insane crit rate is amazing. 80k heavies with about 20 psi charges is pretty crazy too.
    Maybe I’ll get lucky and awaken from one of my next six stars. I still love playing her unawakened