**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Arena Feedback [Merged Threads]

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,191 ★★★★★

I haven't registered an opinion yet, but on the surface, I feel like this adds more complexity than relief. The old system was easy to understand. If you kept your Total PI on or above a certain threshold, you never encountered problems. That threshold rose whenever the absolute limit increased (more R5s, introducing R3s), but only minimally. Once it plateaued, it was easy to gauge again. While not an official mechanic, it was much simpler to understand. Now we have twice the resistance for Matches, and that makes keeping a Streak more difficult.

Honestly, I’m pretty disappointed with how this turned out. From what the announcements said, I thought the intention was to make the AI for the first 20 matches better and the deathmatches we would typically get wouldn’t be as difficult to win. I wasn’t expecting deathmatches to be as prevalent as they are now.
    I wasn't aware that it was that large of an issue. I knew the occasional person said something about them, but I didn't know it was enough to change. If Kabam has a different vision, fair enough. Personally, that's one of the things I loved about this community. There was always someone willing to share the formula and strategy, so people dealing with Deathmatches got past them eventually.
  • HollywoodShonoHollywoodShono Posts: 102
    edited October 2020

That depends. If I have to Sandbag to get a Streak going, fair enough. If I have to Sandbag my entire Grind, I'm finna throw my phone.

No, you shouldn't have to. Let me explain.

In the 4 Star Featured, you should sandbag your Rank 3 Level 45, 5 Stars, and Rank 5 Level 50, 4 Stars. It's not that you can't win said matchups, you probably can, because most champions at that rank are decent. However, if you use a Rank 3/2/1, you'll have Rank 4 Level 55 Matchups. There are some champions that are super easy to beat, which is where the Rank 2 or 1 would go.

3/3/3 would give you 5/65 matchups which are super annoying
    4/4/4 would give you a team around that level, since the game cannot find a team above 1.5x your PI.

Now running 4 Stars in that Arena.
    Rank 5, 4 Stars will run into maxed out 5 Stars or pretty close. Painful.
    Rank 4, 4 Stars will run into the same as 5 Stars, not as painful because the opponents should be easier.
    Rank 3, 4 Stars will run into Rank 3 5 Stars
    Rank 2, 4 Stars will have a mix of Rank 4, 4 Stars, or Rank 2, 5 Stars, not that bad if you know how to play
    Rank 1, 4 Stars should have Rank 1, 5 Stars, or Rank 3, 4 Stars, which are not that strong.

Obviously, max level for the rank is still super important, because there is a huge difference between a Rank 1 Level 1, 5 Star, and a Rank 1, Level 25.

Yes, some parts of the Arena are painful, but, for newer players, I DO understand how it's easier. You just have to avoid the pain points(Rank 3, 5 Stars, Rank 5, 4 Stars), this is where it may need to be tweaked down 1-2 Ranks.

And in the 5 Star featured, 6 Stars at Rank 1, 5 Stars at Rank 4, are going to have the biggest nightmare.

Do keep in mind, you will get a few more points per match, I've had 4 Stars getting 13,000 points, when they would normally get 8,000 to 10,000, it adds up!

I haven't registered an opinion yet, but on the surface, I feel like this adds more complexity than relief. The old system was easy to understand. If you kept your Total PI on or above a certain threshold, you never encountered problems. That threshold rose whenever the absolute limit increased (more R5s, introducing R3s), but only minimally. Once it plateaued, it was easy to gauge again. While not an official mechanic, it was much simpler to understand. Now we have twice the resistance for Matches, and that makes keeping a Streak more difficult.

Honestly, I’m pretty disappointed with how this turned out. From what the announcements said, I thought the intention was to make the AI for the first 20 matches better and the deathmatches we would typically get wouldn’t be as difficult to win. I wasn’t expecting deathmatches to be as prevalent as they are now.
    Avoid using teams 2 ranks below the maximum rank for the arena, sandbag those, and you'll find you'll have a better time.
  • TomCTomC Posts: 4
    I have played this game for more than 4+ years and I do tend to grind the arenas a lot. I participated in all 3 arenas most of the time. The AI is frustrating since they hold SP but manageable. Once you past 15, you can relax and play the arena to pass time. Now, it doesn't matter what streak you are on, there is no relax time since you faced a "close death match" on every match. This caused more frustration than helping. I thought the change is to help the arena grinder but I must be wrong.

I thought that the change to the reward would be something similar to the Sunday arena which is awesome. Spend 1 day grinding the arena and I can harvest 2000 5* shards. Unfortunately, it is a 3* which not many players need. Even 4* is trash now in-game so 3* is useless.

The change currently to the arena is detrimental to the grind since it is causing much more frustration but nothing else gains.

If the change is to promote the death of the arena, I think change is well design.
  • Xva23Xva23 Posts: 500 ★★★
    With the increase in difficulty, would have been nice if the number of units in milestones increased
  • AztecAztec Posts: 293 ★★
    i think everything is far better now for arena. thanks kabam now i can use all my 5 star without scary of death match.
  • ThemadpotatoThemadpotato Posts: 58
    edited October 2020
    @HollywoodShono I get that if this change were to stay permanent for whatever reason we will get used to it, but considering it was meant to be a quality of life improvement that is also meant to help beginner arena players to learn about death matches and the infinite streak, this change is a complete fail. Before today in the 4 star featured arena, you could be able to run a team of 2/35s with no problems but you can no longer run a team of 3/45s without a deathmatch. Also going more in depth with what Kabam Miike was saying with this change being made with the thought of helping newer players learn about deathmatches, it is counterintuitive to only be able to use champs “two ranks above the maximum” since newer players don’t have such a developed roster. That being said, this change looks to be more of a bug that came with tweaking the matchmaking system. Hopefully this is the case and more info will be provided soon.
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Maybe the 3 matches could be:

Match 1: easy (1x your PI)
    Match 2: medium (1.5x your PI)
    Match 3: hard (2x your PI)

Show all 3 opponents, then people know what they are getting into and can do short easy fights, or long hard fights For more points.

Anything but what it currently is. I don’t want to sandbag in 2020 with a 2 mil Rating to use my R3s😫
  • AwesomoChaosAwesomoChaos Posts: 78
    edited October 2020
    "And in the 5 Star featured, 6 Stars at Rank 1, 5 Stars at Rank 4, are going to have the biggest nightmare."

So what exactly are most people supposed to use? Only 5r5, 6r2, and 6r3?!
    lol i have 13 5r5 and 0 6r2/6r3. Guess my arena grind will be quick.
  • SandPounderSandPounder Posts: 341 ★★★

Just to give some context to what these changes are, and why there has been an impact on the Infinite Streak:

Previously, when. you got higher in your streak, the Arena was trying to match you with a team that was at 4x your team's PI. Once you cross a certain threshold, there aren't any teams that high, so the system defaults to a fake team/something very low. To be very clear, this was an unintentional bug, and we've told players that in the past. We left it in-game for a long time because it's something that players are very used to.

What we changed is that the max PI of the opposite team should only be 2x. It definitely killed the formula players have known, and we understand that. We're looking at what else we can do to alleviate this situation.

It may not mean a total revert, but we're still open to that after we see more data and information from more players. There are other solutions, and we're going to look into it. Please keep your responses and opinions constructive in this thread.

It’s hard to keep things constructive when we’re angry, but in the feature 5* arena, using teams of 6* R1s, I faced the same team of R3 6*s (CapIW, Wasp, Elsa) 5 times in a row! This is not fun fighting the same crews over and over again!
  • R_D_JrR_D_Jr Posts: 49
    lower number of deathmatches i dont see any its rather more deathmatches and you are forced to do beat the same summoner again and again
  • Charlie21540Charlie21540 Posts: 925 ★★★★
    Well I can definitely say having finished a fight in arena with a 247 combo streak seems a little extreme.
  • SandPounderSandPounder Posts: 341 ★★★
    -sixate- said:

Very annoying. Can't run a team of R4 5* without facing R3 6*. Long fights wasting my life away baiting out specials. This is a massive fail Kabam. Your devs clearly don't play this game. Arena is 10 times worse than before.

Looks like you’re also pulling the same matchup multiple times. Judging by your two posts!
    Here is the problem with 5 Stars at Rank 5 and 6 Stars at Rank 2 or 3

Nobody will rank them up if they are bad champions, hence why you don't see them in the max ranks of Arena. And there are over 100 champions nobody will ever touch to Rank 5 Level 65, or 6 Stars at Rank 2 even. I could go through a huge list.
  • DragonfeiDragonfei Posts: 260 ★★
    Chumpyjoe said:

Nothing you guys did improved arenas. This isn't my opinion. This is fact. Change arenas back to how they were.

Really? The removal of death matches (the 2x fights aren't death matches) isn't a good thing? The more aggressive AI that throws specials isn't a good thing? The ability to use 3 1/25 champions without fear/worry isn't a good thing?

Might want to check your facts there, sir.

I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is trying to figure out what the "magical" PI number to hit to avoid deathmatches is. Or dealing with the All or Nothing AI that likes to ruin your streak. Or matching my 4/55's with my 1/25's so I don't lose said streak.

Yeah that can all STAY gone. I just want to see them adjust the teams that you can run into down to 1.5x instead of 2x. They can happily keep the rest of the changes, and I'd like to think most would agree on that.
  • Vegas110Vegas110 Posts: 23
    @Kabam Miike I’ve seen way more death squads 16-23 in streak using rank 1 level 25 6* every single one was were 55k+ teams and every one had rank 3 doom... seems fair to take an r1 l25 6* daredevil against an r3 multi sig r3 doom.
    5* r5 teams didn’t get the death squads...
    Does that mean we now can’t use 3 r1 6* in arena?