**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Why does Symbiote Supreme not nullify buffs from arc overload node?

TheBestinTuakauTheBestinTuakau Posts: 955 ★★★
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
6.3.4 IMIW has arc overload node, which states at the start of the fight gain an amrour up and regeneration buff. Symbiote Supreme has an ability where at the start of the fight, nullify ALL buffs on the opponent and deal direct damage. This does not happen in 6.3.4 Why?

Edit: spelling

Comments

• SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    I think it’s a bug. But it’s been in the game I think since SS’s launch.
  • OllyoxenfreeOllyoxenfree Posts: 247
    If it’s a passive buff, he won’t nullify it
  • Reverend_RuckusReverend_Ruckus Posts: 407 ★★★

Passive buffs don’t exist. Arc Overload gives you a Regen and armor buff
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★

Passive buffs do exist, think Aggression Fury. But Arc Overload buffs are active buffs as you've said. I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that SS nullifies whatever buffs the defender would start with. Arc Overload buffs are technically put on after the fight starts rather than being part of what the defender has as the fight starts... if that makes sense.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

Passive buffs do exist, think Aggression Fury. But Arc Overload buffs are active buffs as you've said. I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that SS nullifies whatever buffs the defender would start with. Arc Overload buffs are technically put on after the fight starts rather than being part of what the defender has as the fight starts... if that makes sense.
    nope those are just passives, not buffs
    edited October 2020
    Raichu626 said:

Etjama said:

Buffs are never passive, agg fury and other nodes are passive effects, not buffs. It's just what the word "buff" means in mcoc. Buffs can be interacted with by other champions, passive effects can't
    That's technically true. But the way I see it, a buff is something that helps the champion, a debuff is something that hurts them. Some are passive, some aren't. Don't know why it needs to be complicated. I could say that I have a passive effect on me. That could mean, "Yay! Passive Fury!" or it could mean "Ugh, Degen." Then again, you could just say, "I have a passive buff on me' and it's all simple and easy. Not disagreeing, just don't see the need for complication. And don't even get me started on the whole "Face Me doesn't trigger on Degen nodes" thing. It's all just a big ol mess.
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★

passive buffs exist, she hulks fury for example is a passive buff, medusas furys are an active buff, you can tell the diffrence by the outline.
  • OllyoxenfreeOllyoxenfree Posts: 247
    If there are debuffs and passive debuffs, then there is also buffs and passive buffs. Imiw armor up for example is passive buff
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,731 ★★★★★
    A "buff" is an active ability on it's own. That's why the term "passive buff" always screwed the mind of the players, and some posts related to that were created. It's a sentence maded up by the playerbase that goes against what is shown in the game.

To reiterate: "Passive buffs" don't exist. You have passive abilities that can give a champion an advantage or boost in a stat, or the opponent a disadvantage/decrease on their stats. That doesn't necessarily happens via Buffs and debuffs, which are active abilities and therefore not passive

A "buff" is an active ability on it's own. That's why the term "passive buff" always screwed the mind of the players, and some posts related to that were created. It's a sentence maded up by the playerbase that goes against what is shown in the game.

To reiterate: "Passive buffs" don't exist. You have passive abilities that can give a champion an advantage or boost in a stat, or the opponent a disadvantage/decrease on their stats. That doesn't necessarily happens via Buffs and debuffs, which are active abilities and therefore not passive

A Buff effect is a beneficial / positive status effect for the attacker or defender, whether active or passive, a debuff is a negative status effect on the defender whether active or passive as well.

The buffs / debuffs are categorized by their outline as "passive or active". Yes there are such things as passive buffs.

A Buff effect is a beneficial / positive status effect for the attacker or defender, whether active or passive, a debuff is a negative status effect on the defender whether active or passive as well.

The buffs / debuffs are categorized by their outline as "passive or active". Yes there are such things as passive buffs.
    That is what would make more sense.
    Buff = Beneficial
    Debuff = Detrimental
    Active = Can be affected
    Passive = Can't be affected

Sadly though, Kabam likes to make things more complicated than they need to be. Therefore, there are debuffs, buffs, and passive effects. Nothing to specify whether the passive effect is beneficial or detrimental. Plus there's that one made up effect that Ghulk can't trigger "Face Me" on.
    Etjama said:

Buff = Beneficial
    Debuff = Detrimental
    Active = Can be affected

Sadly though, Kabam likes to make things more complicated than they need to be. Therefore, there are debuffs, buffs, and passive effects. Nothing to specify whether the passive effect is beneficial or detrimental. Plus there's that one made up effect that Ghulk can't trigger "Face Me" on.
    Yeah if a passive effect is detrimental and beneficial at the same time ie flare, life transfer gulk will not regen from it
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,862 ★★★★★

6.3.4 IMIW has arc overload node, which states at the start of the fight gain an amrour up and regeneration buff. Symbiote Supreme has an ability where at the start of the fight, nullify ALL buffs on the opponent and deal direct damage. This does not happen in 6.3.4 Why?

Edit: spelling

It's because Arc overload starts when the fight starts. Buffs like Venom or Cull are active before the fight starts. It's a little weird but that's how Arc overload has always been.

Etjama said:

Buff = Beneficial
    Debuff = Detrimental
    Active = Can be affected

Yeah if a passive effect is detrimental and beneficial at the same time ie flare, life transfer gulk will not regen from it
    He doesn't trigger Face me against straight up degen nodes either though. There's no beneficial effect to that.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Buff = Beneficial
    Debuff = Detrimental
    Active = Can be affected

He doesn't trigger Face me against straight up degen nodes either though. There's no beneficial effect to that.
    yeah like V1 degen per say, typical kabam logic
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,731 ★★★★★

Etjama said:

Buff = Beneficial
    Debuff = Detrimental
    Active = Can be affected

Is not like that. Is because some degeneration from certain nodes belong to another category, not considered "DoT passive abilities", and aren't meant to be countered by anything besides the node itself.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

passive buffs exist, she hulks fury for example is a passive buff, medusas furys are an active buff, you can tell the diffrence by the outline.
    In this game, the term "Passive" has two meanings depending on context. If you're referring to an effect, then Passive is the type of effect: effects can be either Buffs, Debuffs, or Passives (or a few other less well understood types, like Global Node effects). You can call She Hulk's fury effects "Buffs" if you want, but the game will not honor your definition. When something says it affects buffs, it doesn't affect She Hulk's fury effects period.

If you're referring to an ability, the Passive refers to whether the effect is always on or not. Passive abilities are always on. Non-passive abilities have to be activated: they are not always on.

"Active" refers to whether an effect or ability is on right now. An active ability or active effect is actually doing what it is designed to do. The opposite of active in this context is "dormant" or "inactive" or "off." There's no technical context I'm aware of in which Active is the opposite of Passive. They generally refer to different things.

She Hulk's fury effects are passive effects. They are not buffs, because being a passive precludes it being a buff. When she triggers them, they are active. Triggered fury effects that are actually on She Hulk right now are Active Passive effects. This is how the terminology is used now, and for a while now. See IMIW and Doom for examples of passive effects that are specifically described in terms of whether they are active or not. And if you can find any examples in-game of something described as a Passive buff (or passive debuff) that's a description bug and I'd submit it to kabam to have it removed from the game.

It’s okay to be confused about Passives and Buffs, Kabam are too.