**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

Comments

• Crimson8399Crimson8399 Posts: 749 ★★★

If you are one of the players who will enjoy this that is great. I truly hope it is fun for you. As for me and the other 90% of the player base who disagree with terrible node decision we shall continue to express the poor design of this node til it is removed.

Maybe don’t judge a book by it’s cover. JS.
    Judging a book by its cover is foolish but you're reading a Stephen king book it's very safe to say that it will contain certain aspects he is known for. So again if you expect this node to function well and not be combined with some of the most difficult nodes in-game, that's not fear mongering, chicken littling, or whatever other cute saying u have, its history and facts ur facing.
    Oh yeah a book by Kabam, I love those and despite what people post here they also love those and have been doing so for years. Even you are here reading their book after years.

I never said I expect it to function perfectly, there are a few things that concern me that have not been brought up as of yet, and none of them are related to champion or node specific interactions; but I can wait to experience that in game upon release to see how it functions rather than add fuel to your unfounded fears.

But to the contrary I expect the node to combined with other challenging nodes and interactions, just not during it’s initial introduction to this community. I’m actually looking forward to it, I like a challenge, I like to be taken out of my comfort zone, I like to experience new things in the games I play.

Go ahead and be defeated by root before you even experience it.
    Also if it's content u enjoy great but it should not hard lock people out of doing something because they can't perfect parry or multi evade all the time. That's the concern about this node, it will create content unbeatable by some.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★

I get ur trying to justify a new challenge but removing a core mechanic of the game just isn't a good way to go about it. There are already nodes/champs in-game that prevent blocking and evading. As far as the game getting stagnant/boring I strongly disagree that creating nodes that reduce functionality is the solution. As far as the nodes being tuned around this, let's be real, kabam will always use the right hand to great you and the left to slap you. They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.

I’m not trying to justify anything, I’m pointing out that people here are showcasing Chicken Little Syndrome by creating fictitious scenarios because they’re frightened, frightened by a video game.

At least we’ve gotten you to admit you’re another awfulizer spouting untruths. We weren’t promised to never see buffet and masochism as a combo so please stop lying.
    It actually was stated a few years back that it would not be a combo of you knew what you were talking about. It was around the time of their release.
    Oh I know what I’m talking about. I invite you to prove your assertion.

I’ll save you the trouble though. What you are referring to is the 5.2 announcement where they are introducing us to masochism while describing the chapter. They say “ Also, it’s important to note that we don’t use Buffet and Masochism at the same time.” that’s not a promise to never use that combination that’s them describing the node combination of a specific piece of content.
    So you basically just proved my point. Right now they say they won't combine it with other troublesome nodes and then will. Also did they say those node would only apply to that specific content, no. So them saying that combo would not happen was read and interpreted by many as never.
    Your point was Kabam said they won’t combine specific nodes in a certain way ever, that’s false Kabam never made that promise. Kabam are not responsible for individuals reading comprehension levels, that’s the domain of your educators. Here you can read your own words again. “They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.”
    How can u misinterpret these nodes will not be used together? Whetjer never was stated or not has nothing to do with someone's education it is written in a way that reads that way.
    Do not and will not have completely different implications. They are describing global nodes in a specific piece of content and are not describing how they intend to use those nodes for the entire future of the game. It is entirely about reading comprehension. How anyone can confuse don’t and won’t is the problem here, separate words separate meanings.

I even reread the entire post on the update and they had to go back and edit it after release because they said it won't be used together and then had to correct themselves.

Again they were not making a promise, they were describing something, and yes did so incorrectly.

If you are one of the players who will enjoy this that is great. I truly hope it is fun for you. As for me and the other 90% of the player base who disagree with terrible node decision we shall continue to express the poor design of this node til it is removed.

Judging a book by its cover is foolish but you're reading a Stephen king book it's very safe to say that it will contain certain aspects he is known for. So again if you expect this node to function well and not be combined with some of the most difficult nodes in-game, that's not fear mongering, chicken littling, or whatever other cute saying u have, its history and facts ur facing.
    Oh yeah a book by Kabam, I love those and despite what people post here they also love those and have been doing so for years. Even you are here reading their book after years.

I never said I expect it to function perfectly, there are a few things that concern me that have not been brought up as of yet, and none of them are related to champion or node specific interactions; but I can wait to experience that in game upon release to see how it functions rather than add fuel to your unfounded fears.

But to the contrary I expect the node to combined with other challenging nodes and interactions, just not during it’s initial introduction to this community. I’m actually looking forward to it, I like a challenge, I like to be taken out of my comfort zone, I like to experience new things in the games I play.

Also if it's content u enjoy great but it should not hard lock people out of doing something because they can't perfect parry or multi evade all the time. That's the concern about this node, it will create content unbeatable by some.
    There are varied difficulties where players of all levels of experience and progression can conquer root.

I even reread the entire post on the update and they had to go back and edit it after release because they said it won't be used together and then had to correct themselves.

Again they were not making a promise, they were describing something, and yes did so incorrectly.

They were actually making a statement not describing something. The exact original quote was this. Also, it’s important to note that we don’t use Buffet and Masochism at the same time.

There are varied difficulties where players of all levels of experience and progression can conquer root.
    You've completely missed the point of this post for someone who is very critical of others education levels. There are flat out some players who will not be able to do this specific node regardless of any other influence on the node. I had an alliance member that was missing a hand, he was unable to do any content that he could not parry because he just didn't have the motor skills using only one hand to complete it.

They were actually making a statement not describing something. The exact original quote was this. Also, it’s important to note that we don’t use Buffet and Masochism at the same time.
    Sure, making a statement describing nodes in a specific piece of content. That’s not a promise.

Sure, making a statement describing nodes in a specific piece of content. That’s not a promise.
    I agree the way it was written in plain English never says promise but that fact they said they won't be used together is clearly stated right there. If it said they won't right now sure, but it clearly says only won't be used together.
  • FrostyFrosty Posts: 485 ★★★
    As much as this mechanic sounds terrible there's lots of complaints without knowing all the details.

It doesn't say anywhere that you're rooted for the whole fight. This i assume is most likely on a timer where you're rooted for a certain amount of time or until you perform a certain action, if its a debuff then there's a chance to get shrugged off.

It seems unnecessary but might need to wait and see how it plays out, lots of other things we've complained about on the forum that haven't been as bad as expected
    Frosty said:

As much as this mechanic sounds terrible there's lots of complaints without knowing all the details.

It doesn't say anywhere that you're rooted for the whole fight. This i assume is most likely on a timer where you're rooted for a certain amount of time or until you perform a certain action, if its a debuff then there's a chance to get shrugged off.

It seems unnecessary but might need to wait and see how it plays out, lots of other things we've complained about on the forum that haven't been as bad as expected

That's a very good point. If it is on a timer or kinda like hurt locker where it locks u down after reaching a certain criteria that may not be to bad. That you can at least control to an extent.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    I thought it was kinda fun in certain matchups...
  • Mrwarren96Mrwarren96 Posts: 401 ★★
    Just tested it out on side quest the general idea i can see what there getting at but unless being rooted allows us to be benefited in anyways then I don't see the point of this mechanic it just seem to make the fight more awkward then needed, and u can punished specials if the champs is not right next to you after there special attack. If they can tweak it to allow us to get a certain buss or attack advantage then I can see why they would bring it make the fight harder but also to make it easier if u have the skill, but if there not benefit to this node after it has activated then I don't really see the point in it apart from making fight annoyingly and unnecessary hard.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    I mean you could also get around it by AAR.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    qartweli said:

DrZola said:

DrZola said:

Voltolos said:

DrZola said:

Kabam Boo said:

LET'S GET TO THE ROOT OF IT!

Exciting news Summners! A new GAMEPLAY MECHANIC is being introduced in this Meta Event! A new effect type, ROOT.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise). You just won’t do any lateral movement associated with those actions. We hope to explore this new effect on further global buffs or even characters/buffs for players to use! So make sure to try them out and let us know what you think.

WHERE DO I SEE IT?

Each day, on every difficulty, they’ll be a Global buff that uses Root in a slightly different way to give you a feel for it. The difficulty has been tuned around these buffs, so there shouldn’t be too much complexity going on around them. Unless you want to take a swing at Legendary, where an extra wrinkle has been added to keep you on your feet.

WHERE CAN I SHARE MY FEEDBACK?

Right HERE in this thread!

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Cheerio!

Some newer champs even capitalize the term “Dodge” as if it were a term of art in game, like Longshot above.

Dr. Zola
    Dexterity uses "Dodging" in its description so I assume that dodging is supposed to be specifically using dexterity to avoid an attack
    Dodging an attack doesn’t require dexterity; you can dodge without dexterity but not projectiles. Additionally champions like Invisible Woman, Vulture and Nightcrawler all have the ability to dodge projectiles absent the dexterity mastery.

Here is Longshot proccing karma without the dexterity mastery by dodging attacks.
    Are all those dodges or misses? Or evades? Is it like a Tigra miss?

Which is the root of my point...consistent terminology. It’s gotten better over the years, but could stand a solid language cleanup across the board.
    What? It’s a dodge. Perhaps the dictionary definition of dodge would help you understand.

dodge
    /däj/

verb
    avoid (someone or something) by a sudden quick movement.

If that doesn’t help you out the dexterity mastery says that while dodging backwards your champions are not stuck by attacks. It’s doesn’t give you the ability to dodge backwards it enhances that ability when used.

Furthermore did you forget the screenshot that specifically states Longshot gains Karma dodging attacks? He’s gaining Karma from that action, he is dodging attacks.

Miss and evade all have associated call outs.

Where is anything inconsistent here? Dodge cannot be any simpler.
    At the risk of your providing me with an ever-so-helpful dictionary definition of the word “dexterity” (FYI it’s a noun, not a verb in ordinary English parlance), I offer this language from Korg’s description:

“Dodging using the Dexterity mastery” is what I understand is meant here—hence, the oft-used “Dexing an attack.” Also why people take the Dex mastery off from time to time (like when Dorm was everywhere in AW) so one could Dodge without Dexterity-ing—just like your Longshot was doing.

But that’s not what it says. It says “Evade or Dexterity.” Not Dodge. Not Dodge using Dexterity.

Back to my point...we have Dodging, Dexterity-ing (which I presume Boo means when he says “[uncapitalized] dodge...with Dexterity” above), Dodging with/using Dexterity, as well as Evading, Auto-evading, Missing, Faltering and probably some other things related to attacks and movement and contact I can’t think of because I’m not sitting right next to my Webster’s Dictionary.

Relevance? Because of Rooted and its potential applications. If a mechanic is going to affect every single one of the ways we have come to know for moving and playing the game, it’s fair to try to understand how that across all the different nomenclatures.

Side note: you’ve played the game a long time—I’m sure you realize descriptions and terminology have many times been unclear and/or inconsistent and/or just not explained at all. And that long standing game interactions can suddenly become “unintended.” Rather than trying to score cute points, just share your experience and be constructive next time.

Dr. Zola

most people here will disagree with u because they dont go that deep into the mcoc

i will bring one example which is probably not known but true and i am near sure 99.99% have no idea why stubborn activated killmonger still reverbs damage on u if u hit him when his armor is on and reverberation activated

u deal zero damage because he is stubborn right? and u r shocked because u died on him with special and couldnt deal damage right?seems buggy?

let me explain this to u as an example why zola has right when he looks in detail of description

killmongers description says he reverbs incoming damage
    electros description says he gives back dealt damage

did anybody read this difference?

so killmonger reverbs the value what was incoming from u no matter if u deal it or not
    electro gives shock damage after the value he got from u after the hit

no why i post this...because this game is way more complicated then most believe and when somebody says it they get disagree only. way too many opinions but too less people have an idea whats the case

Yes. It’s almost like you have to play the game to find out how the game works. But it’s pretty much always been that way from Day One—interactions often surprise even the guys who coded them into the game.

Dr. Zola
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,315 ★★★★★
    It stopped me from punishing Cyclops after his SP1 (he was dead before he could build up again so I couldn't test it again). I dashed forward and hit the front edge of the Root ring lol

Honestly, this kinda seems like a pretty nice mechanic for Ghost. I was able to heavy spam in the corner so easily because Root stopped me from dashing too far back.
  • TheInfintyTheInfinty Posts: 1,382 ★★★★
    zuffy said:

Don't push Colossus to L2 being rooted. LOL

I somehow got really good at evading his SP2 with root I don’t know how it just came to me
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,722 ★★★★★
    So here's my feedback after first time trying it (completing whole legendary diff side quest):
    1) it is really nicely done graphically. It feels like the character can move a bit and that actually makes it feel good
    2) this form (rooted while sps) can teach players to dex, however it can mess up your combos a bit, since you dash in only a tiny distance
    3) against unblockable sps (Colossus) it can get quite annoying
    4) NEVER combine this node with Counterstrike. It'd be pure cancer, I mean it