**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Variant 1 - please consider a tune down?

Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
After finally getting Variant 1, chap. 1 and 2 explored 100% and continuing on a path at a time in chapter 3, and asking around to all my veteran players and friends in this game, I felt the need to make this post/slight rant.

Why is this so frustrating, difficult, and just plain not fun? Who is it designed for? How does it line up with everything that was said in the road map earlier this year? Why is it not on the table for being nerfed or tuned down in parts?

It doesn’t line up with any of the variants released after it. There’s no consistency with that game mode and the rewards themselves aren’t game breaking for the difficulty to need to remain this high. It’s just such a slog. I asked if anyone I knew has finished it 100% and not one person said yes. These are players with accounts approaching 2 million rated, who have done every other variant 100% like me. They just gave up. It’s not a matter of skill level, it’s just a badly designed piece of content that’s permanent yet somehow escaped discussion or possibility to align with what they did with stuff like Act 6. I know it’s not an equal measurement in content but the discussion is very similar - who it’s made for, how many are actually finishing it or even trying at this point, the reward vs the time and energy and resources needed to do it, etc.

I have to save up for a month to chip away at a path or two at a time, boosted, and I’m lucky if I don’t have to use resources to get them down. I know I’m not alone here either. I know there will be the usual suspects here who say “get good” or “you’re not ready for this” but I don’t think I’m alone in my assessment of this content. At least in my alliance of people who have played this game for over 5 years now, or anyone in my extended friends who play still, and I know new players aren’t saying anything positive about it either.

Please, kabam, just consider giving it some adjustments. Content should be fun and have a purpose. I would be fascinated to know how many people are getting through it or even trying. It’s the antithesis to everything you laid out in the road map for content and it’s goals. It’s time to make it fair and fun.

Comments

• Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★

No. It’s a miserable piece of content and it should be kept like that.

Lol...but why? I truly don’t understand why it’s not in the discussion. There’s such a difference between hard content like act 6 or abyss, compared to what this variant is. They have released 4 others since it came out years ago and it makes zero sense with those in mind and where the game is now. I don’t see up and coming players doing it, when they can skip to the other 4 and actually have fun doing them.

It’s like this weird boil that no one wants to talk about but everyone knows is there and is horrible and probably needs to get checked out someday. I don’t even think it would take a ton of tweaks to make it better. It’s just frustrating to not have all of them done but I have zero motivation to get it 100% and I would think I’m not alone there...which from a developer view would seem to be the opposite of what you want players to feel.
  • Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
    edited November 2020
    Crcrcrc said:

Then people will demand compensation and it will get out of hand and annoying. Just do it how it is.

That’s assuming a lot of people have actually done the content, especially 100%, which is one reason I said in my post I would love to know the data. My guess is that it’s a very small slice of the player base and most of those who have completed it are high end players who aren’t usually the ones banging down the door for compensation. So I’m not sure I agree with your comment at all.

And that’s still not a good reason for kabam to not do anything about it.

• Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Because if there are folks who 100% then everyone can eventually.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I did an initial clear and left it alone for a long time. Did the other Variants 100%. Then went back to Variant 1 and found it to be much easier with my more developed roster. It was rough for anyone when it came out, and it will continue to be so for people just getting to the point where they can run Variants, but it really isn't that bad once you have the roster for it. You can do most of Chapter 3 with Thing and a synergy team.
  • SgtSlaughter78SgtSlaughter78 Posts: 462 ★★★

I did an initial clear and left it alone for a long time. Did the other Variants 100%. Then went back to Variant 1 and found it to be much easier with my more developed roster. It was rough for anyone when it came out, and it will continue to be so for people just getting to the point where they can run Variants, but it really isn't that bad once you have the roster for it. You can do most of Chapter 3 with Thing and a synergy team.

I did the same. Didn’t use a Thing synergy team but came back to it when my roster was more developed and explored it.

The recent bump that the mutant class has had with new characters and buffs to older characters should make exploring chapter one a lot easier than previously.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,035 ★★★★★
    I’m done it after 3 mouch it got released and to be honsly if I’m wait to do it now it wil be so much esay since I’m Hav more champions ready for it
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★

No. It’s a miserable piece of content and it should be kept like that.

100% yes. It should remain the same and serve as a reminder.

Dr. Zola
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    I’ve 100%ed 2, 3 and 4. I cleared v1 after all that just to get a 3-4 gem. I’ll never go back.
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Man, I can't even get past quest 1, lol.

At least, I haven't tried with items.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    Kill_Grey said:

Same here, dude.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    edited November 2020
    Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Same here, dude.
    Nvm, it's been so long since I tried it so I tried it again with my updated roster and skills. None of my champs dropped below 75%. You might want to try again @Kill_Grey.

Edit:
    And I did the second one itemless too. I sadly have no solid options for the 3rd boss but now I know that V1 can be a goal.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Same here, dude.
    Nvm, it's been so long since I tried it so I tried it again with my updated roster and skills. None of my champs dropped below 75%. You might want to try again @Kill_Grey.

Edit:
    And I did the second one itemless too. I sadly have no solid options for the 3rd boss but now I know that V1 can be a goal.
    I see...
    I'll maybe do it after 6.1 is over.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Think I had a total of 2 or 3 R5s tops when I finished it back when it was released. It's much easier now with a lot of newer champs that are in the game.

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Same here, dude.

Edit:
    I see...
    I'll maybe do it after 6.1 is over.
    You haven’t done act six yet at all. Yet complaint about v1?
    You sure about that?

What I meant was 6.1 exploration. Variant 1 and 2 are the only ones I haven't explored yet (plus 5, but I'm mostly just lazy to explore it, despite having all the champs I need)
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    I do a run every now and then and go for those rewards no thanks, I say easier solution would be to buff rewards, give the same rewards to everyone that’s completed So no complaints, and then those of us who haven’t been bothered, might consider the slog, it’s just too many paths for too little reward,
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    It's not story content so unlike Act 6 where everyone HAS to at least go through it once to continue on in the game, you don't have to ever do V1 really. It's fine how it is, people will either do it or they won't.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,797 ★★★★★
    Even if its easier now than it was before, that doesnt justify how rubbish the rewards are
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★
    “It doesn’t line up with any of the Variants released after it.” Well there is a pattern to them: with every release they seem to become easier 🤷‍♂️
    Also every Variant has a theme, some sort of entry requirements/restrictions, or bonus for using a certain class/champ.

And to answer your question: I did a completion run when it was released with mostly 4* champs. I left it alone for a long time, explored Variant 2 & 3 100% before I returned to it to fully clear it with a more developed roster and max 5* champs.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    GagoH said:

Even if its easier now than it was before, that doesnt justify how rubbish the rewards are

The rewards were fantastic when it was released. So were the rewards for ROL, and LOL. This is what happens with permanent content. It's much harder when it's released. It becomes easier over time but the rewards become less desirable as there are other ways to get them.