**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

1151617181921»

Comments

• GamerGamer Posts: 10,033 ★★★★★

Final thoughts:

I think rooted is a solid concept and it added an interesting twist to this month’s SQ. I do think the concept and most of the root nodes should live on. However I do think root’s introduction could have been executed better. Introducing it along with combo party multiplied frustration for first time learners. This node is a bit weird and it makes you wanna pay a bit differently but people will get used to it eventually. Root is facing pretty much the same exact ‘criticism’ and complaints that reverse controls faced when they were first dropped. The idea shouldn’t be scrapped and I think people will eventually come to get used to it. The only root node I truly think should be scrapped is root on heavies. Aside from that I’d be fine with root staying and being put in future content as an occasional node.

I’m wil Hav to said I’m like the idea of the node but the fundamental of the game is is u hit there move away and it felt like there evaded you’re attack felts so Wierd. Play one my alt where’s I’m didn’t had that great champions and that’s rooted is u can’t hit them unless ther at the couner and no space. between you and the opponent wasn’t the best and as u said the node combined was like one mistake and Instant death wasn’t that fun I’m like the idea just the node combined make not fun instead deadly
  • Scottie99Scottie99 Posts: 3
    Sorry but I have been playing with root quite bit and I really don’t like it. Some of the champions require movement to gain power (eg Nova) and it comes at strange times to me - half the time the opponents knocks me out because I can’t back up. I really hope this doesn’t become an ongoing component of play or it will likely drive me out of the game entirely, it’s just too frustrating and I can’t control it.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    JLABREU said:

@Kabam Miike @“Kabam Boo” It’s such a disappointment, even after the “dev diaries” this continues to happen.

Cash grab nodes such as this one, remind me of act 6, which left a really bad taste in my mouth. There are so many already in the game, why continue to add more and more. Yes, there are a few days with the right champ or game play can be very straight forward, but we all know how this goes, node combos are NOT created to challenge players.

Anyways, would love for this node NOT to become a BIG pain, or I would have to finally make the decision to spend my money elsewhere.

Did you spend any money on it? Cash grab is thrown around so much in situations where no one actually spends cash. You'd like the decision to spend elsewhere... personally there is no node in the game that gets me to spend cash, did you spend cash on this one? If not, your argument is kind of nothing.
  • DeadlyKiwiDeadlyKiwi Posts: 2
    After seeing and playing all of the different Root modes, my one piece of feedback is that root is not fun.

During the entire month's side quest, I had a good experience with this new mechanic a total of 2 times. Every other time was frustrating. I appreciate the push for something new, however, I cannot even think of a way to change/save it. As much as it pains me to waste the months of planning/development around Root, I would strongly prefer for the mechanic to be removed.

It seems like a number of other summoners feel like the mechanic is fun, a larger number dislike it, and almost nobody actively enjoys it and wants it to stay.
  • PyrdaPyrda Posts: 255 ★★
    I d rather deal with most of the root nodes then reverse control but both suxs and should be removed, no fun at all
  • A few very late observations, which have already been made by others.

1. It's annoying when Root causes you to miss even when you are right next to a stunned opponent. Magneto's heavy wouldn't land. Cap Marvel Movie's heavy wouldn't land. Just have to sit there and try to dex or hold block and take your beating while the root timer runs out.

2. It's annoying when Root is triggered by specials but lasts long enough that specials cannot be punished. For me, this made Ghost useless. Others probably fared better.

3. The mechanics for getting around root (throw a special, achieve a certain hit count, etc.) didn't seem to work consistently.

4. Root interacts with unblockable specials in a very not fun way. The penalty for screwing up is just too high (especially with the cruelty buffs being used this time). Rogue was really crappy for similar reasons. Really hard to dex L1 special while rooted, but if you try to block it she steals 30% of your health through your block.

5. I liked the robots with root. It was fun to have some additional ways to play around the mechanic (e.g., Medusa, Aarkus, and Magneto negating or substantially reducing the robots' ability accuracy).

6. Root seems best used when there are multiple ways to avoid it. Magik to prevent the defender throwing specials. Medusa/Aarkus/Magneto/AA/etc. reducing ability accuracy. Etc. Root really shouldn't be used in scenarios when it's nearly impossible to prevent root and/or to avoid taking damage while rooted (e.g., unblockable specials or Rogue triggering root while throwing L1).

• 1_ShuNeu_11_ShuNeu_1 Posts: 375 ★★★
    Tbh today the root wasn’t bad
    Only doom got rooted during his sp2 - but it’s not something heavily explicit, it keeps the fight faster paced and closer range - which worked because the ai threw specials and played into the fight and didn’t sit back and play super passively
    I get the “if you sit back and camp you’ll be stuck aka rooted”
    They should add root to campers on cod 😆 😂
    “Sit still too long!?! ROOTED” lol

Something considerable is could root work both ways? Idk how it would be to root the opponent
    But it was actually kinda fun because it wasn’t heavily punishing but when it did occur it was kinda like a small mini game in the middle of the fight

It was something that was few and far between but didn’t totally wreck my fight.

I like the “throw special to remove root and prevent it” thing though

Tbh root imo would work better as an ability of a champ,
    Also just thought sandman could have an ability to slow your dashes because walking in sand is slow
    Or he could proc slow on you.
    Or lower ability accuracy

But anyway, today’s root was actually kinda fun - HOWEVER if it’s paired with loads of nodes or a champ with a horrid play style for it will be VERY annoying
    For example mordo - who backs up constantly and distances himself during his power gain would get you rooted. Idk if it would be irritating until I fought him but I know full well it COULD be annoying
    But today was good
    Not too hard but not too easy. It was fun and not too interactive
  • VoltolosVoltolos Posts: 1,120 ★★★

A few very late observations, which have already been made by others.

1. It's annoying when Root causes you to miss even when you are right next to a stunned opponent. Magneto's heavy wouldn't land. Cap Marvel Movie's heavy wouldn't land. Just have to sit there and try to dex or hold block and take your beating while the root timer runs out.

2. It's annoying when Root is triggered by specials but lasts long enough that specials cannot be punished. For me, this made Ghost useless. Others probably fared better.

3. The mechanics for getting around root (throw a special, achieve a certain hit count, etc.) didn't seem to work consistently.

4. Root interacts with unblockable specials in a very not fun way. The penalty for screwing up is just too high (especially with the cruelty buffs being used this time). Rogue was really crappy for similar reasons. Really hard to dex L1 special while rooted, but if you try to block it she steals 30% of your health through your block.

5. I liked the robots with root. It was fun to have some additional ways to play around the mechanic (e.g., Medusa, Aarkus, and Magneto negating or substantially reducing the robots' ability accuracy).

6. Root seems best used when there are multiple ways to avoid it. Magik to prevent the defender throwing specials. Medusa/Aarkus/Magneto/AA/etc. reducing ability accuracy. Etc. Root really shouldn't be used in scenarios when it's nearly impossible to prevent root and/or to avoid taking damage while rooted (e.g., unblockable specials or Rogue triggering root while throwing L1).

About 2: This didnt happen for me. Did you try trying to be good? (or less sarcastically did you try delaying your attack just a little like against x-23? You should be close enough to the opponent to do this thanks to root)

And 4: rogues sp1 isnt hard to evade. At all. It's just scary

Apart from that I agree
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,280 ★★★★★
    Kabam team, I'm curious - any plans to feed back to us?

You asked for feedback and we've obliged - 620 comments over 21 pages have been viewed nearly 30,000 times.

Have you come to any conclusions?
  • fchskmfchskm Posts: 166
    The only root node I like was the special attack root. The others (specially heavy root node) were super annoying and not enjoyable.
  • Overall, I think it’s fun. Definitely will have to work on some of the things some have pointed out. But I feel like it helped me learn to dodge more specials that I was so used to easily backing away from. I feel like if I messed up in a fight and my back were against the wall, I’ll have some better chances to dodge now.
  • Crazy4heroesCrazy4heroes Posts: 12
    love the new root mechanics, and starting with a 7 instead of just 1 off the bat was a great choice, givees a lot of promise for the future. although its pairing node was annoying, i appreciate the challenge it has us face. whats the point of getting rooted if we dont suffer the consequences when we couldve avoided it. cant wait to see it in more advanced content in the future with more node pairings to be more difficult. makes me excited for the new mechanics that are being thought of, like traps and health packs or wall spikes, if i remmeber the dev diary correctly