**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

The state of each class after 2020

Grootman1294Grootman1294 Posts: 864 ★★★★
Now that the final champion of 2020 is among us, I kinda wanted to take a look at the state of each of the six classes in the game, and how well they hold up right now. Gonna be a long post that will likely be filled with disagreements, but this is just my opinion.

Let's start with the Mystic class.

Remember how people used to say this class was the weakest in the game? My, how times have changed.

Currently, the top of the class, from the way I see it, is defined by doom and claire, who have proven their value to many players in the game. These two are supported by many solid mystic gods, such as SS (both of them), morningstar, magik, voodoo, longshot, tigra and dragon man. Each of the champions I have mentioned, along with others I probably forgot about, have had, at least in my opinion, some decent use for certain bits of content, making them very solid. This class has definitely received a lot of love this year as well. Kabam released 6 mystics in 2020, and all of these have had some form of use in various pieces of content. On top of that, Variant 5 was also released, which featured a chapter that enhanced mystics even more.

I smell a **** ton of potential for this class.

GRADE: B+

Next we jump to the Cosmics. Even before 2020, cosmic was one of the most dominant classes in the game, however I don't believe that they are as dominant in the meta as they used to be. Although kabam did introduce 5 cosmics into the game, in 2020, the majority of them are, for the most part, complete duds (nova, terrax, air walker). Nevertheless, they still have some ridiculous champions amongst their ranks, such as corvus, CGR, CMM, medusa, hype, venom, VTD and cull, along with some solid bangers such as carnage, proxima, surfer and aarkus. Additionally, even some of the more mid tier cosmics have their uses in the right matchup (gamora, angela, hammer cheese boi).

Even though 2020 hasn't been too kind to this class, I still believe that the cosmic class is still up there when it comes to the most stacked classes in this game.

GRADE: A

Following the cosmics, we got the tech class. Although a year has passed, the tech trinity of ghost, warlock and guilly 2099 still dominate this class. However, the tech class has seen some solid supporting characters rise up, especially with the introduction of both guardian and also buffed hulkbuster. They join the ranks of other impressive tech champions, such as doc ock, mysterio, darkhawk, sentinel, starky, SL, and buffed punisher 2099. Although the tech class has a nice influx of god tier champions, the top of the class hasn't changed around too much, at least in my opinion. However, the tech trinity still absolutely demolishes content around the game, and still do a lot for people's rosters.

The ghost era lives on... for now

GRADE: B-

Next up are the mutants.

My God.

This class is so broken it isn't even funny.

Even before the start of the year, mutant wasn't exactly the worst class in the game. But 2020 took them to a whole new level. The introductions of both professor X and apocalypse not only empowered the beyond god tier mutants that already existed, like colossus, domino, sunspot, havok etc., but also heavily buffed some of the more irrelevant champions in the class, such as cable and storm. On top of that, both magnetos and gambit all got revamped, bringing them back into relevance. The mutant class got so much love this year, and I believe that they are now the most dominant class in the game by a country mile.

Nerf this class please.

GRADE:A++

Next up are the skill champions.

Oh boy...

If the mutant class had a polar opposite, this would probably be it.

At the start of 2020, I felt that skill was starting to lag behind a little bit. Yes, they have champs like aegon, fury and stealthy, but compared to other classes I felt that this class didn't have nearly as much depth. And I can safely say that, after 2020, it seems they have fallen even more behind. The skill class got 4 new champions this year, but I think that only two have a decent amount of relevancy (hit monkey and black widow). The class got two revamps, one of which has not been that positively embraced by the community (sorry Matt). Quite a bit was added to the class, yet they still haven't improved that much compared to a year ago. In all fairness, aegon and fury are pretty OP, but aside from them the top skill champs have flaws that make them pale in comparison to other champions (ex. stealthy has damage but no survivability.)

Apocalypse > 2020 skill champions.

GRADE: D-

Finally, we have arrived at the science class. Similar to tech, I don't think that this class has changed too much near the top. Quake, beardo, torch and void still dominate. However, they have also received some solid depth, especially with the additions of red guardian, immortal abom, and spider ham. This is on top of the already decent amount of science gods, such as thing, wasp, rulk, gulk, she hulk, gwen and luke cage. I think that the science class is similar to tech in the way that the class hasn't changed at the top, however they have received champions that serve to bolster the depth of the class.

The quake and bake era lives on... for now

GRADE: B-

I'lll be damned... If you made it this far then congratulations. You just finished my review of each class as of the end of 2020.

Again, this is my opinion, but I'm curious to see what you guys think. Leave your opinions and hate below. Or just spam disagree. I don't care.

Cheers to 2021!

Comments

• Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    You can literally cover all your bases with the mutant class. Even complete the game with mutants alone. It's just beyond broken
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    All I’m going to say is you really messed up your cosmic class ranking. It should be 3rd after mutant and then mystic.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    I think cosmic should be lower than science, mystic, and around the same as tech
  • MCOCHazzaMCOCHazza Posts: 840 ★★★
    In my opinion, the ranks are somewhat like this

1. Mutant
    2. Science
    3. Mystic
    4. Cosmic
    5. Tech
    6. Skill

In my opinion, mutant is the best class. Especially with apocalypse and professor X making so many mutants decent and even pretty great. Additionally, champs like magneto, colossus and even gambit, have been revamped and are really great now too.

Personally, I think science is second because it has so many consistently great champs, plus it had the best champ in the game. The utility that a lot of the best science champs have is also really great (quake, because she’s quake, cap, for his heal/power reversal, block proficiency and sick beard, void for heal/power reversal, torch for heal reversal, she hulk for slow etc.)

I think mystic has had the most improvement the the past 12 months or so. The introduction of all the great mystics has really pulled this class up. From mojo, longshot, sorcerer supreme and dragon man as some of the top mystics this year, to the already great mystics we got last year of BWCV and doom. Not to mention, sasquatch and tigra were also pretty great too. Oh and we finally got that 5* scarlet witch that we’d all been asking for, so that was also a small plus.

I think cosmic and tech are pretty close. For cosmic, the introduction of CGR has been the best thing to happen to the cosmic class since Corvus. In my opinion he’s a top 3 cosmic. However, the dud of the year, terrax, also resides in this class, as well as the okay-at-best air walker and nova. Cosmic has got lots of average/less than desirable champs which pulls it down slightly for me. However, the top champs of CGR, Corvus, hype and cmm are so good that I value it over tech, as well as having venom and Medusa who are still useful.

In the tech class, you’ve for the 2nd best champ in the game, being ghost, and her close rivals of warlock and g2099. We’ve also had guardian and the hulkbuster revamp. However, in my opinion, while these champs are great, they haven’t shifted the class much like mutant or mystic did. The primary reason for tech being below cosmic is simply that I believe more cosmics are of a decent level than techs. In tech, you have lots of great champs, lots of average champs, and lots of trash. But I feel cosmic has more ‘decent’ or ‘good’ champs which puts it ahead of tech. Also, I feel like the top of the cosmic is better than the top of tech (excluding ghost, whom is better) with CGR, Corvus, Hyperion and cmm being so good, and also having lots of great cosmics like venom, Medusa and vision aarkus.

I believe skill is the worst class, purely because I believe the only amazing champions are nick fury and Aegon. Sure, stealth spidey and hit monkey are great, but for a class like skill, they’re not really bringing the skill class to any new power level like the mutants did. I just feel like the lack of incredible champs in the skill class means it’s just not that great of a class. There are lots of ‘decent’ and ‘good’ champs in this class, like blade, Elsa, falcon (who got buffed so that’s cool) and BWDO, but I don’t think these champs make the class better over any other class. Sorry skill, but you’re last.
  • Grootman1294Grootman1294 Posts: 864 ★★★★
    Sungj said:

There is no way science is B-, not only do they have some of the most versatile champions in the entire game they also have arguably the most versatile utility of all the classes. Void, Cap IW, Human Torch, She-Hulk, Thing, Immortal Abom, Quake, Red Guardian, Spider-ham. If you equalize tech and ghost the top of the science class has so much more depth than the top of the tech class.

I'd also put mystic equal to cosmic. The cosmic class is very top heavy. Mystic overall has more Great- God tier champions especially since literally every mystic champion added this year which there are five are all super solid.

Science is an A+, Cosmic is B+ or Mystic is A

I ranked science the same as tech because both classes have quite a fair amount of depth, along with some broken op champions. Yes, the best science champions have a large amount of versatility and usefulness, however the tech class also has a lot of depth as well. I think champs like Starky, doc ock, sentinel, mysterio, and star lord deserve to be near the top of the tech class since they also have widespread utility and usefulness throughout content.

As for mystic and cosmic I put cosmic over just due to the fact that the class is so crowded towards the top. Mystics have a couple of broken champions and then a large batch of God tiers, while cosmic is filled with both god tier and broken op champions. This is especially true once CGR got released.
  • WRIRWRIR Posts: 563 ★★★
    Honestly I think science is better than B-, more like A. Reason being, science has

Quake, Void, CapIW, HT, Thing as crazy SS tier champs, as well as having a solid number of "very good' champions too, and they god nice additions this year.

Also I think you overrated cosmic. Fill me in on how cosimc is "so filled with broken op champions"? They have 4 at the top, which isn't too many SS tiers. The rest S~A, altoghether, is 7~8. I'd list Medusa, Venom, Surfer, Vtd, Cull, Proxima, Vision Aarcus. That's not really that crowded. Less than mutant similar to science and tech.

I think you had a misconseption of the power of cosmics because until previous years, so called high-demigod, or "B-tier" champions were considered in terms of what makes the class strong or not, which cosmic has an absolute ton of, but they have fallen off since the meta evolved, and since then Cosmic is now fairly average in terms of classes IMO.
  • Grootman1294Grootman1294 Posts: 864 ★★★★
    WRIR said:

Honestly I think science is better than B-, more like A. Reason being, science has

Quake, Void, CapIW, HT, Thing as crazy SS tier champs, as well as having a solid number of "very good' champions too, and they god nice additions this year.

Also I think you overrated cosmic. Fill me in on how cosimc is "so filled with broken op champions"? They have 4 at the top, which isn't too many SS tiers. The rest S~A, altoghether, is 7~8. I'd list Medusa, Venom, Surfer, Vtd, Cull, Proxima, Vision Aarcus. That's not really that crowded. Less than mutant similar to science and tech.

I think you had a misconseption of the power of cosmics because until previous years, so called high-demigod, or "B-tier" champions were considered in terms of what makes the class strong or not, which cosmic has an absolute ton of, but they have fallen off since the meta evolved, and since then Cosmic is now fairly average in terms of classes IMO.

Corvus is still ridiculous. So is Medusa, CGR, CMM, Hyperion. God tier is pretty filled, with venom, vtd, surfer, cull, aarkus, proxima and even someone like carnage. When it comes to tech I think that tech is literally carried by ghost Warlock and guilly. In terms of broken beyond god tier champions, I think cosmic still has an edge over tech.

But hey, if you don't think that way that's alright.