**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Why I think the grind for 5K 6 star shards arena is fair.

Comments

• Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Posts: 586 ★★★
    edited December 2020
    FritoPlay said:

Are you kidding me? 2 hours every day for a week for half of a 6 star groot?

This was supposed to be a gift. Something everyone can do. I want to be able to do this after work, but I dont have enough time.

It seems like everyone here saying "tHen dOnT dO iT" has a ton of free time or doesn't value their own time.

I'd like the gift to be a gift - not something I gave to spend 10 hours grinding for.

No thanks Kabam. I leave the game with full energy these days.

Well. Actually. It is a gift. I can’t think of one grinding arena that offers that many shards in one go. Just as importantly. Everyone can do it. Everyone has 2 stars. More people’s with 2* than 6*

It’s a time suck. Sure. I haven’t seen one person saying it won’t take hours. But I mean, it is supposed to cater to a wider audience. For instance. Truthfully I’m loaded with ISO right now waiting for the right champs. I have millions in gold. I’m not doing the Halls whatsoever. I don’t need anything they offer. I do need to dupe some 6’s though.
  • MeebletonMeebleton Posts: 552 ★★★
    That's not really the point. If this arena was a monthly thing then I'd say it's more than fair. However this was supposed to be a celebration, and spending 3 hours grinding one arena every day for a week doesn't seem like my idea of a celebration, in fact it's the complete opposite.
  • MacvillMacvill Posts: 9
    Toasty said:

I would agree it’s fair but in all honesty I would be surprised if even a quarter of the community does all the milestones. It takes sooo much time and lots of people have better stuff do to (both in mcoc and real life) and also, the fights themselves aren’t quick. I have a r2 lvl 20 2* iron fist and it took about 70 hits to chip away a 3/30 immortal hulk with willpower, that might not seem like a lot but for one single fight it stacks up quickly

All my 2* are maxed, still I skip those fights, I mean is faster that way, if I found a thing, korg or any champ annoying to fight like nick fury I just pause the game and quit that fights long I keep the streak
  • Geralt_123Geralt_123 Posts: 595 ★★★
    Changed my mind after reaching the 5 star arena milestone.Not going to touch the 6 star one!
  • Geralt_123Geralt_123 Posts: 595 ★★★

Changed my mind after reaching the 5 star arena milestone.Not going to touch the 6 star one!

It's just time consuming and frustrating and I am not going to grind.I will use this time anywhere else.
  • Initially I felt that this grind was a bit much. However after getting to 1 million and doing some math I figure I will have to be around 240 win streak to claim all the milestone rewards. I have done more for less in arena lol. Could it have been easier...sure...then it would of felt more like a gift and less like a chore. Will most people feel burned out on arena for awhile...yep. If you don’t like to do arena are you going to hate this...of course. Will you open some crappy 6 star from it....could..he’ll probably will. Does that mean we just don’t open them anymore? If you don’t want to do it then don’t. They already gave a bunch away for free.
  • AmaadAkiraAmaadAkira Posts: 388 ★★★
    One thing people keep ignoring is that this is supposed to be a celebratory event. Something FOR the players. So why compare it to non celebratory gameplay? How about we compare this to mutant treasure Island? Another time limited event? Nope won't be doing that any time soon.

Currently I could definitely use a 6 star, but if you think I'm gonna rank up my 2stars to grind for 20 hours (possibly more) for half a 6 star that will take a week or so of extra grinding to finish, and that will probably end up being sub par unless duped? Nah.

This is very clearly aimed at grinders and others really desperate for shards. It isn't a celebratory event for the average player.

• mdsubmdsub Posts: 180
    If I was quarantined for COVID this might be a decent distraction but I’ve got to work. The amount of work required isn’t worth the rewards. The Grinch is running the show.
  • Normax_XNormax_X Posts: 540 ★★★
    u cant compare act5 to the current meta, we're in act7 now, shard numbers have shifted, thats like saying the arena has 2000 4* shards, can u explore act2 in under 100 hours with 2* champs?
    i wont bother doing it cz its boring, but honestly idc we got a gd amount of shards already this month, but to grind 260+ rounds is a bit much, we're not all hard arena grinders who want to stare at our phones for a whole 260 rounds, if i had the patience i'd rather grind for a 5* champ that is guaranteed to have value instead of half a 6* that might be a useless dupe
  • FuzzycatFuzzycat Posts: 87
    IT IS POSSIBLE to complete all the milestones for both 6* and 5* arenas. It's not easy but it's possible and doable. All one needs is perseverance and focus. And though I hear many players complain about the grind, I think the rewards are well worth it.

Like others, I was also spooked when I first saw that 6* arena needed 4 million points but once I got going, I realized that it's possible. 6* arena will require a streak of 220-240 while the 5* arena will require a streak of 70-80. It all depends on:
    1. how many 2* champs you have (which is why one should NEVER sell 2 star champs) and
    2. 2. how many 2* champs are maxed out, because using maxed out 2* champs will get you the most points.

FYI, I've completed all the milestones for 6* arena and am at midway level for the 5* arena.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    I have no life so it wasn't an issue for me, but extending the time would've been cool.
  • Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★
    But arena is mind-numbing boring and painful while that other content is actually fun
  • WzzrddWzzrdd Posts: 84
    So I have an honest question for people that grind to get the 60-80 million required for featured 5 star what is the required streak
  • BradencoyBradencoy Posts: 22

Done woohoo!
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    It’s like being told by your boss, “We want everyone to enjoy the holidays this season, here are some free gifts! But also, we want you all to work optional 16 hour shifts on Christmas day. But don’t worry, we’ll give you a really nice bonus to compensate.”

The bonus is worth it for most people. It’s doable. Any other day it’d be fine—great even. But this really shuts down morale due to the timing and expectations previously set forth. For most people, this turns an otherwise enjoyable time to a chore. Part of the problem is the bonus. If it were a weak bonus, no one would opt in—people could easily accept the loss of minor rewards. But the bonus is good enough that people feel compelled to accept. Now it becomes a choice of pick your most acceptable negative outcome. Enjoy your holiday but suffer the realization you gave up compensation. Or accept and suffer a ruined holiday.
  • FireantFireant Posts: 36
    I will say the grind is nowhere near as hard as people are saying, and is completely worth it if you have the time. That being said, it does take a chunk of time and a comparison to Act 5 does not make sense. In act 5 you receive a bunch more rewards, Including the uncollected title. On top of that there are legitimate fun fights. What I think people don't like is having to go through a monotonous arena grind for half of a 6*.
  • Avenger_A1Avenger_A1 Posts: 240
    It isn't about fairness. It's about what you want/need more and the opportunity cost associated with going for it. For the same amount of grind, you could get a ton of units and battlechips from the regular arenas - it's your preference. Don't do it, if you don't want to. Or go as far as you want - I completed the 5* shards arena and have stopped at 2.2M for the 6* shards, since the next milestones are even further apart.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Adevati said:

It’s like being told by your boss, “We want everyone to enjoy the holidays this season, here are some free gifts! But also, we want you all to work optional 16 hour shifts on Christmas day. But don’t worry, we’ll give you a really nice bonus to compensate.”

The bonus is worth it for most people. It’s doable. Any other day it’d be fine—great even. But this really shuts down morale due to the timing and expectations previously set forth. For most people, this turns an otherwise enjoyable time to a chore. Part of the problem is the bonus. If it were a weak bonus, no one would opt in—people could easily accept the loss of minor rewards. But the bonus is good enough that people feel compelled to accept. Now it becomes a choice of pick your most acceptable negative outcome. Enjoy your holiday but suffer the realization you gave up compensation. Or accept and suffer a ruined holiday.

They're not free gifts. The free gifts were given in the Calendar and the Email. These are earned Rewards. As much as I don't like the time it takes to do it, if I don't put the Grind in, I don't have a claim to the Rewards.
  • SecretWarri0rSecretWarri0r Posts: 230
    It’s not even hard. Takes less than 8 total hours, around 225 matches. People are just lazy and complain about everything.
  • MrsGondola420MrsGondola420 Posts: 149
    I mean, it’s a 2* arena; easy fights and fast refresh timers.

I’ve finished all 3 shard arenas and it wasn’t that difficult. I’m a relatively average player. Uncollected, but haven’t really touched much of the other content. I don’t have a full roster of max 2*. I honestly used mostly R1 2*, some not even awakened and I never got over matched. I just ran thru my champs and knocked them out.
  • LyingninjaLyingninja Posts: 182
    I have mixed feelings for this arena
    The rewards are okayish but they should have decreased the milestonespoints or should have increased the amount of points for each match
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    I think I saw only one comment that touched on this point, but I want to expand on it. The points per fight are fine. The points required are fine. The solution is not to tinker with those things, rather it would be far better to just extend the time of the arenas.

It is still a grind that requires you to really work for the rewards, as Kabam has stated was their goal. And I get where they’re coming from on that. Compared to other in-game sources of 6* shards, this is by far the easiest way to get a substantial amount of them. So yes, a ludicrous amount of easy fights is a reasonable ask, if given enough time to do them.

However, this is a busy time of year both in and out of the game. I believe that had the arena lasted the whole month or two weeks or even ten day, it would have been received at least somewhat better.

There would still be people complaining about how this was meant to be a gift when it clearly wasn’t. We are already getting the anniversary gift, anniversary calendar, Christmas gift, and holiday calendar. Those are the gifts. This is content. Mind-numbingly boring content that I genuinely hate doing, but content all the same.

Tl;dr - Arena grind is fine, would benefit from a longer time to do it in. It’s not a gift, it’s (boring) content.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    edited December 2020
    I did both 6* (224 matches) and 5* (59 matches). A few thoughts:

1) Not the most fun, but I threw an hour-plus of time in the first night while everyone in my house was asleep and I watched football. That start of about 30-40 6* arena matches was probably what made the rest seem doable.

2) After the initial day, I simply played 5 matches at a time when I was in game. Lunch time, waiting in line, prepping a meal—mindless arena. At less than 3 minutes a round and with a total of 90 max 2*’s, it amounted to ~15 minutes a pop. Just slow and steady to win the race...

3) Was it worthwhile? Tough to say right now—I used the 6* shards to top off a featured that resulted in 6* Pun2099 and I sit at 10K+ again working on 5K more shards for a second try. If that turns out badly, then I’d say the only thing I have to show for it is gold (since I was already over 10M, not a ton of benefit) and units (added around 1800 from grind) and a host of new 2* champs (Level Up fodder). Without a great featured 6* pull my second try, it was likely just running in place.

4) My critiques from earlier in this thread remain unchanged: to simplify, the 6* was a bit too long, and the 5* was fine. A little more time would have solved a lot of issues. Not everything can be “free,” but drudgery isn’t a great game mode. The team should work to avoid drudgery.

5) At any other time of year, there’s no way this gets done. Holiday season slows for me, so I actually have some time.

Dr. Zola
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,892 ★★★★★
    If they had allowed 3* champs no one would complain cause it would be a lot more manageable.
  • fuNemOronfuNemOron Posts: 15

I don't know it is fair or not but with increased amount of battle chips,I am definitely going to grind it to get some juicy rewards from gifting event.

Gifting event ? Is it during this shards arena week or during 25th